Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated June 15, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 36 reviews)

• "The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley" (in 20 reviews)

"2 years in and still loving it"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the best place I've worked at in my career to date. Incredible culture. Leaders drive hard but lead with compassion. People care about the mission and the success of the company and want to do what is right. And my team are some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Nothing really. We're still an early stage company and figuring stuff out. We're doing well but have a long road ahead of us to achieve our ultimate ambition of being the world's largest jobs site.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication of what's going on in the company.

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

The word that stood out to me the most in this review was “compassion,” I agree with you and am so proud of how people collaborate here. Thank you for sharing this review and being part of our team.

"From Intern to Full-Time Employee!"

Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I interned with Glassdoor during my junior and senior year of college, and I can say for certain that the internship set me up for success in school the next year as well as my first job post-graduation (before returning to GD for more).
    - The people, culture, career opportunities, managers and clear company vision motivate me to fully dive into the work I'm doing every day. I no longer dread Monday mornings!
    - My managers trust and empower me to continue learning and take on new tasks to help build my skills. I know that my experience at Glassdoor will help further my career in the long run.
    - I truly believe in the mission to help everyone everywhere find a job and company they love. Plus, most people and media I talk to love Glassdoor (almost) as much as I do, and that always gives me a boost of brand pride.
    - Great benefits and pay: Dogs in the office, free (healthy) catered lunch everyday, cover phone bill, free parking (which is a big deal in the Bay Area), onsite gym, community events (gotta love lip sync karaoke for Pride), unlimited PTO, etc.

Cons

- While I love Marin County, it's a pain to pay bridge toll every day. Would be nice to have a benefit to help cover the cost.
    - The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley. The second is shared with several other businesses and doesn't feel as much like Glassdoor as the first building.

Oct 24, 2017 – VP Corporate Communications

You’ve earned your spot on this team and we’re so glad you’re part of it! This review makes my heart swell because I feel the same brand pride when I hear from others about how much they love and... More

"Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

There are a ton of pros! I've been at Glassdoor for just around 2 months and it's been one of the best experiences I've had as a recruiter!
    The company is exciting and where we are going as a company is what gets me up in the morning! Very excited to be here!

Cons

None, I have been here about 2 months and haven't bumped into anything as far as Cons

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you’re experience is going well.

"Great place to work, smart people, good for your career"

Current Employee - Analytics/Decision Science in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Analytics/Decision Science in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Really smart people who want to grow the company and do excellent work
    -Opportunity to grow and take on interesting projects if you want it
    -Wonderful/fun people, and a management team that cares about you & your career
    -If you want something and feel passionately about changing something or improving something...and you can prove it'll have a positive impact, the sky is the limit

Cons

-Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out)

Advice to Management

Stay focused and continue to drive logic & analysis as the backbone for growth and decision making

Jul 10, 2017 – Sr Director Decision Science

I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. There’s an endless amount of interesting and challenging work to be done from a data science perspective. And you’re right, if you want to... More

"Still Crazy (fun) After All These Years"

Current Employee - Director of Jobs and Search Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Jobs and Search Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have forged some incredible friendships, relationships and memories over the course of my time at Glassdoor, and I don't want it to end yet. Having been here longer than most, it has been a real treat watching this company evolve, scale and step up to each of the new challenges that we face. It's never a dull moment, and has always been a fast paced journey, and I am proud to be a part of it.

People you work with here are generally motivated and hungry to make an impact and show value. Glassdoor has helped me grow and mature, particularly in engaging and communicating with peers and colleagues effectively, and while many companies may talk about trying to foster an open-sharing collaborative environment, Glassdoor actually puts it into practice. As in life, nothing is perfect and it doesn't always mean that every single interaction you are going to have here is going to be the most amazing one ever, but we strive to bring a general standard in these types of engagements. I think it subtly permeates through the org and relieves stress proactively for us, even when feeling like things are going as smoothly as they should.

The culture has evolved and changed, and rightfully so. You can't expect the company to be the same company it was 5 years ago, when we were a fifth of the size. Through it all, there is still a solid rock and foundation which innately bleeds green, and it can never die.

Cons

Adjusting to scale has been a hard challenge. Like with most scenarios involving masses of people, it's hard to please and satisfy everyone. Because we have an open collaborative environment, it's not uncommon to hear those dislikes, groans or sighs of disapproval from some folks. The challenge has been keeping the course, and pushing harder through those moments of adversary and doing small corrections, rather than tacking so frequently and disrupting our line.

We suffer a little bit from a resourcing and sizing problem, particularly in our core engineering areas. We want to deliver so much, but are not willing to really push and pony up for the resources for where they matter most. Moving fast comes at a price, and we haven't figured out which one to pay into, speed or efficacy.

Advice to Management

Keep the course, and push forward. Put resourcing in the places where it counts and is going to deliver most on our company focus - Jobs. I believe in the vision of this company, and have been pumped up about Glassdoor for a long time. I see others pumped up too. I also see some that are not pumped, or have not been pumped up. Make sure to continue to drive the passion into us, and we need to see/feel that passion from you!

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for being part of Glassdoor all these years. I remember when we were a fifth of the size, like you describe, and I’m amazed by how far we’ve come, how much has changed and am excited for what... More

"Mixed feelings about working here..."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are amazing - always positive, genuine, honest, and open.
    Totally love the vision of helping people find the jobs that fit their life.

Cons

The biggest downside, especially for engineering, is the career growth aspect and the ability to move fast towards technological advancements.

There is also a long way to become truly agile especially now that the organization has grown to a decent size.

The expectation of people should work extra hours similar to being in a start-up does not really gel well with everything else that is not so start-up like.

The other downside has also been the location as the company is growing and it does not help much in hiring local talent.

Jul 31, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I appreciate you being so candid about what’s working and what’s not. As we scale, it’s important to retain our agility. The investments we are making in DevOps' Platform as a Service and the... More

"High impact work in a high growth environment"

Current Employee - Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, motivated colleagues
    Executive team that is humble and willing to listen
    Opportunity to have lots of individual impact
    Still growing; an exciting time to be here
    Supportive, collaborative culture where opinions are valued

Cons

Typical growing pains
    Management adjusting to the challenges of running and leading a larger company
    Staff turnover good for the long term, but challenging to transition through

Advice to Management

Maintain focus and have patience; as the company grows time to impact will get longer. But we need to ensure that we continue to invest for the long run as well as driving for short term results. Also need to recognize that we are operating at a much greater scale than ever before, and scale requires delegation and trust

"Not too shabby"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teachers, leaders and motivated employees; everyone here has a great outlook and appetite for success. Exciting time to be in Chicago as we are moving to a new office and seeing the company grow has been awesome!

Free food 3x a week with a lot of opportunity for happy hours and a great work life balance.

Cons

The office atmosphere is relaxed, but there are clear favorites in the crowd that seem to be promoted into positions that they aren't necessarily a fit for, just based on campaigning successfully. The pay isn't all that great, they continue to change our comp plans to be "awesome" but truth be told unless you're hitting 100% every single month, you won't get the full pay out and there is still unclear and untold terms which makes people skeptical.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary, leave the commission alone and stop trying to say things are better when they aren't progressing.

"Meaningful work, opportunity for professional growth & project ownership and great culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful, interesting projects that keep coming as long as you do a good job
    - Flat org with a candid exec team
    - Sharp, politics-free team-players
    - Fun culture & great benefits
    - Short, reverse commute from SF

Cons

- Below market rate pay
    - Work-life balance varies depending on which team you are on & how critical your role is, which is expected

Aug 29, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thank you for all the feedback. It means a lot to me that you find the work as meaningful as I do and appreciate the candid nature of our leadership team.

When it comes to pay, we are all... More

"Gotta stay focused"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working here has been great. The people the, the office, the challenges and opportunity to work on projects that may not have been offered at other companies in a similar role. I have enjoyed the opportunity to grow and mature with the company. The people I have worked with and have stayed around a few years truly believe in our mission and purpose in the job industry. I think we are all hopeful for the day that Glassdoor takes that next step.

Cons

After seeing the ups and downs the past few years it feels like we are coming out of a rut now. However the attitude and impatience of some of the employees can be a downer on us all and that affects overall moral of the company. Salary and 401k plans are something we have all dealt with over the past few years and made a choice to join regardless.

From talking with others it does feel like teams are understaffed and there is a lot of worked to do for us all.

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate your review a lot. It’s exciting and motivating to be at a company with such a noble mission, and it can be disheartening to hear from employees who feel impatient or frustrated. Part of... More