Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated February 22, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a positive work/life balance (in 60 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"we are family"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Family: I say this all the time, but the employees at Glassdoor are not just that. We are really like a family--and we genuinely care about each other & enjoy each other. To me, that is the best part about waking up and coming to work every morning. And on top of that, our leadership truly cares about us as well. Our CEO, Robert, may not know everyone's face, but he knows every name (pretty incredible in a company of 800 people).

-Perks: From incredible health insurance to the ability to wear jeans & flip-flops to the catered lunches, we really do have a good amount of perks & benefits. We are pretty transparent with the fact that we may not pay at the tip-top of the scale (it's still pretty good though!), but we have other things to make up for that. Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed.

-Autonomy: One of things I appreciate about Glassdoor is that they let you do you. I have rarely (if ever) felt micro-managed. On the AM side, we are truly the leaders of our own book and are empowered to treat our accounts & clients & schedules in the way we think is best. I hear about a lot of other companies where managers get involved in every little issue, call, deal, etc. but our leadership respects our decisions.

Cons

-We are still a start-up, so change is going to happen. A lot. If you can't roll with the punches, then this may be a hard place to be. With that being said, we change so much because leadership actually listens to us and our needs & concerns. We constantly make changes to territories, comp structure, support, etc. so we can grow & scale and still provide the employees with what we need.

-Because there is so much change, it is sometimes hard to get a clear picture on what your career path will be or can be at Glassdoor. Things can pop up really quickly, or you may have to wait several months longer than originally planned to get a promo. We do need to do a better job of preparing people for career advancement & mentoring them to that next step, providing feedback on where they hit & where they miss, and being upfront.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within and providing a clear & transparent roadmap to each employee on what their career path looks like & how they can get there!

More keynote sessions from Robert (his talk at SKO has everyone jazzed)!

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m proud to read this, and happy you are part of our team. The Chicago office is buzzing with excitement and as we forge ahead I’m looking forward to setting this team up to succeed and take... More

"Flaws in stock option plan"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The site benefits job seekers and is good for the world. The company is young, energetic and has a good sense of camaraderie.

Cons

The stock option plan has several significant flaws that make the stock riskier than other startups. Most employees aren't aware of these flaws. The CEO has been aware of these issues for years and has not done anything about it. In fact he has done one thing to make it even riskier. He has failed the employees in this area.

Glassdoor rejected the first version of this review because I was specific about the ways it is riskier and leads to more tax for employees and exiting employees. So, to get this version approved, I am going to have to be more vague and leave it in the hands of the current employees to investigate and resolve with the CEO.

Without specifically saying what Glassdoor plan has or doesn't have...Theoretically, here is what a good stock option plan puts in place for its employees:

1) a way to avoid paying tax when option holders exercise stock. The way to do this is typically by putting an 83b program in place so employees can early exercise their stock when it's fair market value is the same as their grant price. If an 83b doesn't exist, employees can only exercise when they vest and it is likely that the 409a value has increased and the employee would have to immediately pay tax on the "paper gain". This puts the employee in the situation where they have to pay taxes and they actually can't sell the stock to help pay the taxes.

2) a way to get the clock started on the holding period required to pay the capital gains tax rate instead of the ordinary income rate when a liquidity event happens. This can amount to a large savings (i.e. 30%-50%) which is real money. This is also typically done via an 83b program. And...this is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT TO EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN THERE FOR MULTIPLE YEARS, An 83b program is one of the ways to enable employees to get the clock started on the 5 year holding period required for QSBS exemption which can mean that NO CAPITAL GAINS taxes are paid. This can be a HUGE savings for employees when there is an IPO or acquisition.

3) the ability to sell vested shares when the employee has a financial need. With many startup staying private for 10 years before a liquidity event...it is likely that employees will have financial needs during that period - everything from wanting to put a down payment on a house to paying for kids' schools, a wedding, or elder care. When a company is still private, the way they can enable employees to meet their financial needs is to not place "transfer restrictions" on the stock. This allows employees to use sites like equityzen and Sharespost to sell their stock to a third party buyer.

If you look on EquityZen's website...you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market.

Advice to Management

1)Make being a stockholder less risky.
    2) Provide copies of any stock related document / by-laws to the employees and shareholders
    3) explain to the employees what they can and can't do with their stock.
    4) explain what the stock plan provides to help the employees avoid unnecessary tax consequences

Apr 25, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for your review.

We have looked at early exercise and 83b's, but they are risky attempts to avoid taxes. Most people do not fully understand the risk/reward tradeoff entirely, and the... More

"Sales Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I work with some of the most talented and fun people every day
     - The challenges that are put in front of you on a daily basis are challenging, but you know that nearly everything you touch is having a direct impact on the company trajectory.
     - One of the best things about working for Glassdoor, is it is extremely easy to stand behind and be motivated by the company mission to help everyone find a job that they love.

Cons

- The commute to Mill Valley isn't ideal but the view of the hills and the bay somewhat make up for it.
     - It feels like big changes are made without consulting all those that are affected. These changes cause team members to go back and do extra work from slight adjustments causing days or even weeks worth of work that does not move the needle.

May 28, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thanks for taking the time to write this about our team. It’s true, we really are helping people with something important and the work we do here matters a lot. I think we do our best to manage... More

"Workplaces don't get much better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

-Rewarding, interesting, exciting work
    -Great emphasis on work-life balance
    -Excellent benefits (free lunch, exercise classes, commuter benefits, paid-for insurance premium, flexible PTO)
    -Exciting time to be at the company — we're in early enough to have a lot of impact, but late enough that we're over a lot of the instability that early stage startups have
    -The company's doing very well at the moment
    -Kind and interesting coworkers. I've been in some cliquey workplaces before, and this is a refreshing break
    -Twice annual performance bonuses
    -Good managers and leadership
    -Most people here really believe in the mission
    -Lots of flexibility when it comes to working from home

Cons

-The commute. I reeeeally wish the office was in SF, not Marin
    -Work life balance is good overall, but there are moments where it really flares up (but that's largely because my team has roles that need to be filled)
    -Pay is pretty competitive for my role, although I know others don't feel the same (a lot of people in STEM roles and sales, I believe)

Advice to Management

-Consider opening an SF branch

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing and we’re glad you’re part of the team! Right now our SF office is small but mighty, and currently only houses a small number of data and engineering folks. As we grow, there’s... More

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the atmosphere smart and fun co-workers

Cons

Salary could be more equitable with the going industry rates

"Not too big or too small, Glassdoor is just right!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is still really young - only 8 years old, and much of the growth has happened in the last 2 years. That means that it's easy to make your mark if you've got ideas and experience.

The people are smart and friendly. It took me no time at all to build a network here. People are very open to the new programs and changes my team has implemented.

Cons

The location (Mill Valley) is lovely but there are no public transit options... so my commute is not great. Start and end times are super flexible though, so I just tend to come in early and leave early while others come in late and leave late.

There is a negative vibe in some corners of the company. My take on this is that some people are not faring as well with all the change and feel left behind.

Advice to Management

Make it possible/acceptable for more people to work in SF, at least a few days a week.

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to see feedback like this come in from a member of my own team. As you know, we work hard to make sure people feel like they can really make a difference here, it’s great to know they do... More

"Good environment for work, could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great knowledgeable engineers to work with
    - Good for career growth
    - Good work/life balance
    - Great recreational activities

Cons

- Getting kudos from leads is very difficult
    - Getting approval of doing something new/different takes a huge effort
    - Moving across teams is difficult

May 20, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I agree, the engineers here really are great and they’re some of the most knowledgeable I’ve ever worked with. I can do a better job of saying that more often, and encouraging our leaders to do the... More

"Left with mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Glassdoor is a good place to work. They have their issues but the important thing is the senior leadership (CEO) is very open and willing to change the direction of the product/company if it comes to that. Robert's office is always open and you can ask him questions (anonymously, if you prefer) during company huddles.

- Nothing is set on stone - things could change. Glassdoor as a company improves upon their product tremendously. They run A/B tests and are willing to pivot their product direction if necessary. I believe that's very important for a growing company to succeed.

- Coworkers. They are all amazing bunch of people. I have made some good friends while working there.

- Company offers tons of perks - gym with shower, lunch, snacks, $50 mobile phone bill credit, game room, free or close to free health insurance etc.

- Dog friendly.

Cons

- When I first joined Glassdoor it was the best company I ever worked for. The team was small and we were moving fast but without compromising in quality (i.e by shifting the deadline by a day or two if the product wasn't quite ready). As the company grew, stories became open ended and deadlines became almost impossible to shift which forced us to compromise in quality. There were at least three instances I could recall in the past year where we were given a hard deadline but without ironing out the details of the story or having final designs. In all three of those cases, we either didn't end up using that product or shifted the deadline so we could roll it out all together with rest of the teams.

- Most of us are underpaid. This became clear when we launched Know Your Worth Tool. A former colleague of mine who left Glassdoor had told me about the 30% salary increase he/she got at their new place.

- My new manager was micromanaging the team. He/she always wanted to know what we were working on (even though he/she was there for the daily standup). My manager would listen in to our conversation with fellow colleagues and provide unsolicited opinion.

Advice to Management

- Not an advice but I'm disappointed with our HR personnel who handled my departure. He/she was supposed to email me some documents to my personal email and he/she never did. While I was still working at Glassdoor I had two former colleagues contacting me to get info from HR because they apparently never replied to their requests. I guess they don't care about their former employees.

Apr 11, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to hear that Glassdoor was a fit for you for so long and we’re sorry to see you go. I take your feedback quite seriously and assure you we care deeply about our employees, current, former... More

"Other side of the coin.."

Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2016 was not an easy year for Glassdoor or for anyone laying the foundation for this company. Growing pains have the inevitable cause and effects and some of that has made its way to reviews on our own Glassdoor page; a good reminder that we are not immune to our own solution. Part of what makes Glassdoor so unique is that we WANT to be held accountable. Leadership stands behind the transparency and accountability that are the threads throughout our mission. I call that leading from the front. I appreciate how gracefully this organization has navigated challenging times.

You should be aware of the good, the bad, the ugly of an organization before dedicating a large portion of your life to them. Glassdoor allows you to do this. Hopefully the reviews you have read thus far support your decision to start, stay, or move on from this organization, and that's a good thing! It means Glassdoor is living and breathing its own vision to help people find a job and company they (truly) love.

For what it's worth to the reader, I would like to share a story from the flip side of the coin.

Last week we celebrated the life of a former colleague. Her father spoke of his gratitude for the people who loved her well and supported her living the last years of her life with dignity and pride. Glassdoor was among those on the receiving end of his gratitude. This entire organization, from senior leadership on down, rallied behind this colleague in the most gracious ways and without question. I don't know about you, but to me, it's not where you are but who you're with that matters. These voluntary acts of kindness represent the incredible people inside these glass doors.

Cons

Like any company or human for that matter, Glassdoor is not perfect. All you can do is use these reviews to determine if it is perfect for YOU.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being the type of leadership I want to stand behind in good times and in bad. Today, I feel very grateful.

Mar 20, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I’m very touched by this feedback. Creating a culture where people support one another is a credit to our entire team and reflects the culture we try to live every day that is supportive and treats... More

"And, We're Back!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our Mission: Glassdoor has a mission I can really get behind - Help people everywhere find the jobs and companies that they love. You can feel that at the core of everything we do. It's the reason why we all go to work!

My Colleagues: I love the people I work with! Glassdoor recruits and keeps some of the brightest, most creative, friendly, funny, welcoming people I have ever met. My teammates encourage me to be genuine and real and provide the personal and professional support I was looking for in a team. My efforts and my personality have been acknowledged and appreciated here.

My Manager: My manager is incredible. He is remarkably talented at coaching individual members as well as coaching to the team which has made us all tight knit and one another's biggest fans. Personally, he has taught me a process, pushed me outside my comfort zone, and cultivated a confidence in me that I am so grateful for. He truly is a role model and a dear friend. Our entire team sees his tireless dedication to our team, to the company, and, most importantly, his family. He is all around a stellar human that we are lucky to know and work with.

Our Leaders: Leadership listens! I wrote a review about 6 months ago that was quite critical about where we were as a sales org. This included a critique of new processes that had been implemented that seemed to be slowing us down, as well as the tough quota targets. As a side note, that review was still 4 stars because I love Glassdoor. Anyways, since then, our middle management, VPs, and Exec Team responded to the reviews on Glassdoor, addressed concerns in town halls, implemented a new internal feedback loop (Glint), and, over time, solved for our biggest problems by reducing quotas and giving the sales team the opportunity to earn back lost dollars due to poor initial plan.

At the first half of 2016, Glassdoor had dropped the ball but I am happy to say that they have picked it up and are running hard toward the goal line. I love this company and am so proud to be part of a an org that REALLY LISTENS and WANTS TO DO RIGHT by it's employees.

Cons

Our biggest strength is our biggest weakness: we are a start up. Start up means that sometimes things are humming and jiving and other times things are broken and disorganized.

Career Development and Training could be improved. Processes are a work in progress. We have been iterating for a few years so innovation to product and positioning is welcome.

Although there are things to be improved, if I've learned anything in the 10 years I've been in the workforce and the 3 years I've been at Glassdoor, it's that things are not always perfect. I've also learned that really great companies and wonderful leaders seek to learn from those not so perfect times to make the organization better moving forward. Glassdoor and our CEO does that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and lean on your employees to offer feedback before, during, and after we implement big changes. We want to help. CS and Implementation still need some cleaning up and morale boosts. AE side needs some TLC and their managers NEED more training to build stronger, more motivated teams. We will continue to lose people if we don't. There needs to be A LOT more effort put into training and ongoing career development. You have very talented people at your org, don't let their brains and motivation to be better go to waste (that's how you hit numbers).