Glassdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Glassdoor Reviews

Updated November 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Work for Glassdoor!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to be apart of, truly a transparent company. Supportive leaders are within.

Cons

Can be a competitive, stressful environment

"From Intern to Full-Time Employee!"

Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I interned with Glassdoor during my junior and senior year of college, and I can say for certain that the internship set me up for success in school the next year as well as my first job post-graduation (before returning to GD for more).
    - The people, culture, career opportunities, managers and clear company vision motivate me to fully dive into the work I'm doing every day. I no longer dread Monday mornings!
    - My managers trust and empower me to continue learning and take on new tasks to help build my skills. I know that my experience at Glassdoor will help further my career in the long run.
    - I truly believe in the mission to help everyone everywhere find a job and company they love. Plus, most people and media I talk to love Glassdoor (almost) as much as I do, and that always gives me a boost of brand pride.
    - Great benefits and pay: Dogs in the office, free (healthy) catered lunch everyday, cover phone bill, free parking (which is a big deal in the Bay Area), onsite gym, community events (gotta love lip sync karaoke for Pride), unlimited PTO, etc.

Cons

- While I love Marin County, it's a pain to pay bridge toll every day. Would be nice to have a benefit to help cover the cost.
    - The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley. The second is shared with several other businesses and doesn't feel as much like Glassdoor as the first building.

Oct 24, 2017 – VP Corporate Communications

You’ve earned your spot on this team and we’re so glad you’re part of it! This review makes my heart swell because I feel the same brand pride when I hear from others about how much they love and... More

"Sr. Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

There are a ton of pros! I've been at Glassdoor for just around 2 months and it's been one of the best experiences I've had as a recruiter!
    The company is exciting and where we are going as a company is what gets me up in the morning! Very excited to be here!

Cons

None, I have been here about 2 months and haven't bumped into anything as far as Cons

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you’re experience is going well.

"2 years in and still loving it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the best place I've worked at in my career to date. Incredible culture. Leaders drive hard but lead with compassion. People care about the mission and the success of the company and want to do what is right. And my team are some of the smartest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Nothing really. We're still an early stage company and figuring stuff out. We're doing well but have a long road ahead of us to achieve our ultimate ambition of being the world's largest jobs site.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication of what's going on in the company.

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

The word that stood out to me the most in this review was “compassion,” I agree with you and am so proud of how people collaborate here. Thank you for sharing this review and being part of our team.

"Great place to work, smart people, good for your career"

Current Employee - Analytics/Decision Science in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Analytics/Decision Science in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Really smart people who want to grow the company and do excellent work
    -Opportunity to grow and take on interesting projects if you want it
    -Wonderful/fun people, and a management team that cares about you & your career
    -If you want something and feel passionately about changing something or improving something...and you can prove it'll have a positive impact, the sky is the limit

Cons

-Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out)

Advice to Management

Stay focused and continue to drive logic & analysis as the backbone for growth and decision making

Jul 10, 2017 – Sr Director Decision Science

I appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. There’s an endless amount of interesting and challenging work to be done from a data science perspective. And you’re right, if you want to... More

6. "A Pretty Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities, the people, fast-paced

Cons

Salary/total compensation "package" far behind other Bay Area tech companies, commute (over the Golden Gate bridge with no toll compensation, somewhat unclear direction in the past couple of months

Advice to Management

All-hands are meant to be a place where employees feel welcome and encouraged to provide feedback and ask questions. As of lately, there has been a dark cloud, and almost a feeling of annoyance, when someone speaks up or asks a question. If we want to continue to promote transparency, I think this needs to change.

Aug 9, 2017 – CMO & SVP of Marketing

Thanks for sharing this review and for being so candid. I want everyone on this team to feel like questions are welcome and encouraged - in any meeting or interaction. Please feel free to reach out... More

"Mixed feelings about working here..."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are amazing - always positive, genuine, honest, and open.
    Totally love the vision of helping people find the jobs that fit their life.

Cons

The biggest downside, especially for engineering, is the career growth aspect and the ability to move fast towards technological advancements.

There is also a long way to become truly agile especially now that the organization has grown to a decent size.

The expectation of people should work extra hours similar to being in a start-up does not really gel well with everything else that is not so start-up like.

The other downside has also been the location as the company is growing and it does not help much in hiring local talent.

Jul 31, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I appreciate you being so candid about what’s working and what’s not. As we scale, it’s important to retain our agility. The investments we are making in DevOps' Platform as a Service and the... More

"Meaningful work, opportunity for professional growth & project ownership and great culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful, interesting projects that keep coming as long as you do a good job
    - Flat org with a candid exec team
    - Sharp, politics-free team-players
    - Fun culture & great benefits
    - Short, reverse commute from SF

Cons

- Below market rate pay
    - Work-life balance varies depending on which team you are on & how critical your role is, which is expected

Aug 29, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thank you for all the feedback. It means a lot to me that you find the work as meaningful as I do and appreciate the candid nature of our leadership team.

When it comes to pay, we are all... More

"I love this place! But..."

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is one of the best companies I have ever worked for! The team I am on is amazing! I feel respected and supported by them everyday. In addition, I am surrounded by other like-minded individuals that push me to be a better version of myself everyday. These aren't just co-workers, but some of the best of friends and people I consider almost family. Our work environment is collaborative which I absolutely LOVE! There is an opportunity to learn and grow not only as an employee, but as an individual. Everyone is very passionate about what they do and there is no shortage of drive (until recently).

Cons

There is a reason behind my 3 star review. With an ever evolving business, I understand that changes need to be made. One of the perks of working at GD is an "uncapped commission," meaning if a rep performs well, the opportunity to make more money is there. Recently, we had a shift in our compensation plan that changed this. We were told that the reason quotas being rolled out in April were delayed was due to perfecting the compensation plans, yet we were to find out that the drastic changes were not communicated to our leadership and then to us. Now, we have capped commission and we've removed all bonuses for retaining current client base. All "bonuses" that we can receive for hitting our numbers each quarter are already built into our target, rather than extra money we can make after hitting full quota. This is causing those with extreme drive and passion to feel that's not enough - quotas are too high and impossible to hit.

Advice to Management

Transparency is a common theme and something we hold to the highest value here. It's one of my favorite things about the company, but recently a lack of communication amongst the organization has caused me to feel a bit deceived. I'm disappointed that communication regarding the changes to our plan wasn't communicated clearer, earlier and that there seems to be no resolution in sight. Bring back incentives to retain clients and when a rep hits their number, we should receive an actual bonus. Your employees have always been your focus. Treat them right and their loyalty will always bleed Green.

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m sorry to hear your frustrations. If you feel comfortable, I highly encourage you to reach out to me for a conversation. Part of my job is making sure our teams in every office have an... More

"A Rewarding and Valuable Experience"

Former Employee - Data Scientist
    Former Employee - Data Scientist

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I was able to accomplish the most meaningful work of my career while at Glassdoor. Because Glassdoor is a relatively small company that collects a lot of data for jobs, salaries, and company reviews, there are a lot of problems to tackle, and a lot of flexibility in your approach to solving them. At the end of the day it feels pretty rewarding to know that your work can impact millions of Glassdoor users. I always felt appreciated by my managers for the work that I was doing while there as well.

Glassdoor hires smart and friendly people. I really enjoyed my daily interactions with team members, and can honestly say that I learned something new from my manager or peers every week. I feel that the upper management is competent and is steering Glassdoor on a path to success.

The mission of the company is noble and sincere - help people everywhere find a job they love. A lot of companies will just publish some corporate "values" or "mission statements", but I do feel Glassdoor is trying to empower people to make the best career decision they possibly can.

Location - a lot of people complain that the location in Mill Valley is a negative, but if you live in the northern part of San Francisco, it can be a quick reverse commute. The office boasts serene views of Richardson Bay and Tiburon, and the free parking isn't bad either.

Cons

It's really frustrating being a Glassdoor stock/option holder right now. Glassdoor has one of the most restrictive shareholder agreements in the industry. Employees are not free to sell their shares on a private company exchange like EquityZen, nor has Glassdoor offered to buy back a portion of employees' stock (at least while I was there.) The executives claim that the reason for the restriction is so that all employees have some skin in the game, without acknowledging that it's very possible (and common) for employees to sell a portion of their shares AND have skin in the game. It's a fallacious argument, and possibly indicative of some ulterior reasoning and/or motives.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor's 10th birthday is coming up next month, and I sense that employees are growing impatient and leaving. You need to instill confidence in employees by telling them that, without a doubt, their equity will be worth something in the near future. Whenever I hear the classic phrase, "It's not a matter of if, but when", I always think, "If not now, when?"

Jul 5, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for being part of our team and contributing quality work while you were here. I’m truly glad that you had so much success here. When it comes to our equity, we do our best to be fair... More