Glassdoor Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Everything I would consider a con would fall under the "growing pains" category (in 30 reviews)

• you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market (in 19 reviews)

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

"Not really for me"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food 3x a week, free laptop and perks like $50 towards your cellphone bill. You have some people who are really good at their job and teach you great and necessary tactics of sales.

Cons

The office has a lot of clicks, tons of rich kids where mom and dad pay the bills so they can keep up with the absurdly low salary. No matching on 401k and the stock was great, if this company ever goes public which is very doubtful.

I came to Glassdoor with the hopes of advancing to other roles, but never had the chance to as they kept telling me that there were no open spots in sales for me to go to.

Judging by the lack of common sense by our c suite and higher leadership, I can't imagine the company going anywhere. Just raising quotas and lowering opportunities for people to be paid what they should.

Advice to Management

If you read through all these reviews, you'll notice a pattern. One which I don't think you'll ever understand, pay people better and stop trying to go around that fact that the company doesn't have their act together internally, own up for once.

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is a growing company and it's exciting to come in everyday knowing there's new content to learn. Not only are you encouraged to engage in self-development, but collaboration is HUGE. Everyone is playing for the same team with the same end goal in mind.

Glassdoor culture is unlike any other. From team building to happy hours, everyone is always excited to attend.

Overall - Glassdoor does a great job keeping its employees happy.

Cons

One con I can think of is uncertainty. Sometimes things change but really that's the only consistent part of any growing company.

Advice to Management

When communicating changes, try and be more concise. Being vague causes a lot of unnecessary worry and further clouds focus.

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I agree, this culture really is something special. I think a review that came in right before yours said it quite well, “We are still a start-up, so change is going to happen… [but] we change so much ... More

"Other side of the coin.."

Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2016 was not an easy year for Glassdoor or for anyone laying the foundation for this company. Growing pains have the inevitable cause and effects and some of that has made its way to reviews on our own Glassdoor page; a good reminder that we are not immune to our own solution. Part of what makes Glassdoor so unique is that we WANT to be held accountable. Leadership stands behind the transparency and accountability that are the threads throughout our mission. I call that leading from the front. I appreciate how gracefully this organization has navigated challenging times.

You should be aware of the good, the bad, the ugly of an organization before dedicating a large portion of your life to them. Glassdoor allows you to do this. Hopefully the reviews you have read thus far support your decision to start, stay, or move on from this organization, and that's a good thing! It means Glassdoor is living and breathing its own vision to help people find a job and company they (truly) love.

For what it's worth to the reader, I would like to share a story from the flip side of the coin.

Last week we celebrated the life of a former colleague. Her father spoke of his gratitude for the people who loved her well and supported her living the last years of her life with dignity and pride. Glassdoor was among those on the receiving end of his gratitude. This entire organization, from senior leadership on down, rallied behind this colleague in the most gracious ways and without question. I don't know about you, but to me, it's not where you are but who you're with that matters. These voluntary acts of kindness represent the incredible people inside these glass doors.

Cons

Like any company or human for that matter, Glassdoor is not perfect. All you can do is use these reviews to determine if it is perfect for YOU.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being the type of leadership I want to stand behind in good times and in bad. Today, I feel very grateful.

Mar 20, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I’m very touched by this feedback. Creating a culture where people support one another is a credit to our entire team and reflects the culture we try to live every day that is supportive and treats ... More

"Not as good a company as advertised"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is trying to be innovative. There are good people who work there. I think that it could be a good place to work. The benefits and perks were pretty good.

Cons

Management generally does not live up to good values and treat people fairly. They have an image that they have created of helping to bring transparency to the workplace but that value is absolutely absent at Glassdoor. I'm most upset by the fact that they pretend to be better than other workplaces and the reality doesn't live up to it. So basically I hate hypocrisy and that is very present there.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and be honest with your employees and your customers.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

I’m sorry to see that Glassdoor was not a fit for you. As a new leader on this team, I appreciate your honest feedback and take it seriously. I think we have an opportunity to over-communicate our ... More

"Lacks Accountability to reach potential. On the brink of real success if they could bring in some real sales energy."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, strong engineering team, intelligent people. Has the makings to be a great company.

Cons

Runs like a small company that has inexperienced sales leadership. No strategic sales leaders. They can't bring in the industry level leadership needed because they are not willing to pay the salary of what that would cost. CEO gives visionary speeches of the product, but does not hold his leaders accountable. Somehow, there has been no sales leadership change when they have drastically underperformed with no plans of how they will change that. Much of this comes from the fact that majority of them do not have the experience to lead a sales organization. In my time there, I do not recall I time where I saw a leader inspire and LEAD. Having a great product doesn't pay off if you don't have the people that know how to sell it. How can you expect these leaders to succeed when the company is much larger if they can't succeed now?

Advice to Management

Make the tough decisions and don't be afraid to remove leadership that does not perform and meet goals. Sales reps are held to performance standards and the same should be done for their leaders. Stop accepting mediocre success and demand performance of what an industry leading company requires. You don't just need top engineers... Also, move out of Mill Valley and into San Francisco. You have to spend money to make money.

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Sales

It’s unfortunate that Glassdoor ended up not being a fit for you, but we appreciate you taking the time to provide this candid feedback. This is a team that has grown considerably - in numbers and in ... More

"The mass exodus has begun"

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

usual tech start up perks
    smart and cool coworkers (extending beyond work friends)
    work outside of SF
    Dogs in the office

Cons

Leadership/management hasn't been listening to employees over the last 10ish or so months leading to many people questioning whether or not the right people are in place to lead this company
    Transparency is no longer a thing that exists as Glassdoor. Many people are informed of departures of coworkers weeks and months after the fact. No one has any idea in what direction the company is headed
    We are now large enough to where "changes" don't happen overnight and are mostly long, drawn out processes that many of us don't get a chance to see through
    People have been promoted into management and director roles just because of internal ties that has many of those scratching their head why and how it happened
    Pay is terrible and to drive that point home our own tool confirmed it

Advice to Management

You are on the verge of losing the faith and backing of your employees. Many have chose to leave given your lack of action and this is only the beginning. Most of us that are still here have chosen to wait and see what you do in April with pay, comp plans and the direction of the company.

It's time to stand behind our mission, pay your employees market value and make the comp plans attainable and realistic. Lastly, match people's 401k plans, it's ridiculous that this isn't offered already. The equity package is no longer a suitable excuse for the poor pay.

The ball is in your court, Robert, do you want this company to go the wayside of Yelp? Or will you finally listen and make the changes necessary to right the ship and restore Glassdoor to the glory days before it is to late?

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I always appreciate direct feedback. And you've identified a number of areas for improvement, many of which are already in the works. We're almost twice the size we were last year at this time with ... More

"Ready to Refocus"

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My passionate, intelligent, and tenacious co-workers make every day not only bearable, but enjoyable. We’re able to laugh and support each other through the hard times while simultaneously celebrating our wins. Grateful for the long-lasting friendships that I’ve made and the camaraderie that is within GD culture.

-I’ve been lucky enough to experience ample support via my personal development and growth; the change and expansion that we’ve been through has provided me with invaluable business and life lessons that I’ll take with me throughout my career

-Robert frequently communicates with the org to ensure we’re all deeply emboldened by our mission and able to keep the long-term goals in mind. Recent feedback regarding unattainable quotas has been acknowledged and addressed with recent incentives to boost morale

Cons

-At the beginning of 2016, we embarked to become the number 1 jobs site in the world. What we didn’t prepare for was a complete restructure in our client services org and large pitfalls in our jobs product/performance that we still haven’t repaired. In turn, this has created significant hardships for the growth and CS team as they scramble to deliver recruitment ROI.

-Extreme lack of communication between SOPS, new biz, growth, and client services has led to the development of processes and procedures that pit varying departments against each other. Cancellable deals, growth’s lack of knowledge with jobs, new biz setting false client expectations, implementation attempting to build custom employer brands, CS receiving training for branding conversations that growth is already having are all long-term problems we are currently fixing with band-aids.

-Culture has shifted due to loss of key internal players that added energy and grit to the sales floor. Need to find new way to recognize those that not only perform via the numbers, but go above and beyond to add value to the culture and development of our teams and org as a whole. This will allow employees to grasp on to another purpose even when performance might be low. Due to recent internal changes, AE’s in MV are struggling to adjust to a new morale that is tainted by micromanagement and distrust, which is fostering an unproductive and anxious environment. AM’s needs are often overlooked or put off to prioritize bringing on new business and the lack of resources is impacting the ability to retain.

Advice to Management

Mend the break in communication across departments so we can mutually understand priorities/challenges to become more efficient and effective in attaining each of our goals.

Address two key business problems. First, our clients want to see a direct result from their employer branding efforts. We need help from product/data/CS to prove raw ROI from the employer brand. Second, we depend on client ATS data to justify our ROI as a jobs platform – we need to have more control and knowledge over this process so we can set the right expectations upfront, retain clients, and drive further job seekers to use the platform.

We’ve changed a lot in a short period of time and haven’t allowed ourselves the leeway to reflect on who we’ve become. Instead of attempting to emulate the old GD in a new era, let’s re-invest in our culture and hiring efforts to ensure a combo of the old and new.

Lastly, while feedback is always asked for, it’s not always delivered upon – don’t underestimate your employees' ability to not only pinpoint problems, but also bring valuable solutions to the table!

Jan 31, 2017 – Chief Revenue Officer

I love what you said about the employee's ability to not only pinpoint the problems, but to bring valuable solutions to the table. We've made a lot of changes with in Sales, many of those changes ... More

"STILL in love with Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After 4.5 years at Glassdoor, I STILL think about how lucky I am to be part of such an amazing company. Why is it amazing? I am constantly reminded that I'm working towards our mission. We are helping people everywhere find the jobs and companies that they love. That means we're helping some negotiate their salaries - even the last $1 for an hour! That makes a huge difference in the lives of people. We are helping them master the interview process, and land their dream job. The reviews genuinely help people make a GOOD choices, and help companies make GOOD choices internally so they can always improve. I'm inspired by this everyday.

Other than the mission, I believe the leaders are so strong. Robert inspires me every time I hear him talk. He's also very approachable at every level of the company. I've seen a sales rep talk to him in the lunch room about changing a small feature on our website - the next day, the problem is solved!

I also think that our sales team and leaders are steeped in GRIT, and that is inspiring. I think that their are always going to be ups and downs in start-ups, change is the only constant, it will always be a roller coaster. But I am happy to be on this roller coaster with such fun and hardworking colleagues. I am always inspired by people who punch above their weight class and take on tasks far outside of their job description to help improve the company.

From a woman's perspective; I've had two babies while being employed by Glassdoor, and I am so thankful by how supportive Glassdoor was for both. I was welcomed back to work after 12 weeks of fully paid maternity leave, and I was excited to be back. It's also nice to know that they really try to hire a lot of strong female leaders across the org.

Cons

I don't think any company can say that they are perfect, and we have all made our fair share of mistakes. I think Glassdoor tries to learn quickly from their mistakes and pivot or change as needed.

We have hired so many smart and gung-ho people in the last year that it has been hard to get everyone up to speed quickly which I would say has caused some "growing pains". But I think we are now set up well to scale.

I also think we could do a better job of creating career paths within certain roles across the org to ensure that we are striving to improve ourselves, and hang on to our best people. For example, creating salary bands, bumps, etc - especially for sales.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing it back to our mission! It's what keeps us on path.

Dec 15, 2016 – Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you very much for your feedback and your leadership! To see people succeed and flourish and improve their careers while driving our mission is very rewarding and great to see that this still ... More

"sadly not the company it once was"

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Glassdoor for 2+ years for a couple reasons:

1) I believe in our mission: helping people everywhere find a job and company they love
    2) My manager and teammates are amazing, intelligent and kind people

Glassdoor has many of the perks one would expect from a tech company in the Bay Area, and is growing internationally.

Cons

Glassdoor has lost sight of it's mission to take care of its long term employees, in exchange for monetary gain. To elaborate, senior sales management is focused on moving sales to Chicago. From a business standpoint this makes sense because wages are lower in Chicago than the Bay Area. We get it. However, Glassdoor is going at this the wrong way by completely neglecting those in HQ.

1) There is little to no career advancement unless you are willing to pick up your life and move to Chicago
    2) Unless you've been promoted, your salary remains stagnant - regardless of natural inflation or merit. I am making the same salary I made as a new hire
    3) Sales targets are unrealistic. Only one person on my team hit last quarter. This is due to our unmanageable workload and pricing changes

Basically, we are being asked to do more for Glassdoor but have no real incentives here in HQ.

Advice to Management

Senior management (directors and above) are so disconnected. I cannot tell if they are blissfully unaware of how the sales org is feeling, or if they just want us to become so unhappy that we all leave so they can start over in Chicago. Sadly, it feels like the latter.

Jul 21, 2016 – VP Sales

I know that changes we have been making across the organization as we grow, and ensure our continued success, have brought both opportunity and challenges for our team. We have always been and ... More