Glassdoor Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you as an individual. I have, on countless occasions, had the opportunity to meet with our CEO and just chat. Get to know him as a person, which is rare! We also have so many great perks, benefits are amazing, promotion opportunities are through the roof, and of course, a GREAT opportunity to make some $$$.

Pros:
     - Lunch on MW & Thurs
     - Catered breakfast for events
     - Snacks on snacks
     - La Croix, Coke, Diet coke, water, coffee
     - KIND OF unlimited PTO - not really though
     - Flexible work hours
     - Work/Life Balance

Cons

This being a "young org" will go through its changes, but this isn't really a con. If you can't roll with the punches, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep killin' it.

Jul 24, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

Thanks for taking the time to share a review! Glad to hear things are going well for you and keep those lines of communication with our CEO and the rest of the team open!

"Drained and Confused"

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- straightforward product to sell
    - notoriety with job seekers gives us a chance to sell against LinkedIn and Indeed
    - hardworking individual contributors who can be friends outside of the office if that is your style
    - Great office locations nationally and internationally (SF, Chicago, London, Dublin, Ohio)
    - Admirable senior leadership team that will offer mentorship, guidance and encouragement when you ask for it

Cons

- Politics: favoritism is rampant and cadres closest with upper management gets the first look at promotions
    - Profitability: seems to be an issue because we are cutting back on employee perks
    - Accountability: Managers are stretched thin but when they make almost 200k and when you do the office work they ask from you, you expect them to do at least the things they say they will do
    - Patronizing: clap twice if you agree with me

Advice to Management

Robert. You missed a good opportunity to be a real person today with your Chicago office. Delivering that news is a difficult task but you hid behind a subordinate yet again.

Please apologize to the new hires who now feel duped. Employees that have been here a while unfortunately are not shocked. We feel embarrassed and disappointed.

Rich Barton would say "swing big". We seem to keep swinging and missing.

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for the feedback.

Internal promotions are a huge part of coming to work for Glassdoor, and in sales in particular, they are based pretty purely on performance. We will take into account... More

"Practice what you preach"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great and I could not ask for a better team to work with or to be a part of. When I started, we had a great culture and really embraced the growing start up vibe. On a team level we are there to help each other every step of the way.

Cons

Our comp plan was recently changed to the point where many of us cannot afford to live. We are completely underpaid and under appreciated. Pay us less and expect us to do more? Not really a good way to run a business.

I would not recommend joining the company at this time. They are so focused on becoming public that they have lost their full sense of what Glassdoor is about. We preach transparency but recently we have all been in the dark. Suddenly there is something announced that is a major change. Management says they had no idea, but how can you run a business keeping your managers and directors our of the loop? Sounds a bit fishy.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor spends a ton of time trying to find the right fit, treating us the way you currently are is not going to help keep good employees around or hire the "right fit".

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you took the time to write and I’m sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected. As we examine our comp & quotas to make sure we’re getting this right, what keeps me motivated are the... More

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

Jul 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for providing this review - this kind of feedback helps us to continually improve. Glassdoor is now 9 years old and with that age comes more complexity to our business. I share this as we want... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great group of people that all get along- have a work hard play hard mentality. Managers always willing to help out in any way.

Cons

hard to get promoted quickly due to the amount of people wanting the same promotion.

"Meaningful work, opportunity for professional growth & project ownership and great culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful, interesting projects that keep coming as long as you do a good job
    - Flat org with a candid exec team
    - Sharp, politics-free team-players
    - Fun culture & great benefits
    - Short, reverse commute from SF

Cons

- Below market rate pay
    - Work-life balance varies depending on which team you are on & how critical your role is, which is expected

Aug 29, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thank you for all the feedback. It means a lot to me that you find the work as meaningful as I do and appreciate the candid nature of our leadership team.

When it comes to pay, we are all... More

"Other side of the coin.."

Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2016 was not an easy year for Glassdoor or for anyone laying the foundation for this company. Growing pains have the inevitable cause and effects and some of that has made its way to reviews on our own Glassdoor page; a good reminder that we are not immune to our own solution. Part of what makes Glassdoor so unique is that we WANT to be held accountable. Leadership stands behind the transparency and accountability that are the threads throughout our mission. I call that leading from the front. I appreciate how gracefully this organization has navigated challenging times.

You should be aware of the good, the bad, the ugly of an organization before dedicating a large portion of your life to them. Glassdoor allows you to do this. Hopefully the reviews you have read thus far support your decision to start, stay, or move on from this organization, and that's a good thing! It means Glassdoor is living and breathing its own vision to help people find a job and company they (truly) love.

For what it's worth to the reader, I would like to share a story from the flip side of the coin.

Last week we celebrated the life of a former colleague. Her father spoke of his gratitude for the people who loved her well and supported her living the last years of her life with dignity and pride. Glassdoor was among those on the receiving end of his gratitude. This entire organization, from senior leadership on down, rallied behind this colleague in the most gracious ways and without question. I don't know about you, but to me, it's not where you are but who you're with that matters. These voluntary acts of kindness represent the incredible people inside these glass doors.

Cons

Like any company or human for that matter, Glassdoor is not perfect. All you can do is use these reviews to determine if it is perfect for YOU.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being the type of leadership I want to stand behind in good times and in bad. Today, I feel very grateful.

Mar 20, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I’m very touched by this feedback. Creating a culture where people support one another is a credit to our entire team and reflects the culture we try to live every day that is supportive and treats... More

"Not as good a company as advertised"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is trying to be innovative. There are good people who work there. I think that it could be a good place to work. The benefits and perks were pretty good.

Cons

Management generally does not live up to good values and treat people fairly. They have an image that they have created of helping to bring transparency to the workplace but that value is absolutely absent at Glassdoor. I'm most upset by the fact that they pretend to be better than other workplaces and the reality doesn't live up to it. So basically I hate hypocrisy and that is very present there.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and be honest with your employees and your customers.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

I’m sorry to see that Glassdoor was not a fit for you. As a new leader on this team, I appreciate your honest feedback and take it seriously. I think we have an opportunity to over-communicate our... More

"Lacks Accountability to reach potential. On the brink of real success if they could bring in some real sales energy."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, strong engineering team, intelligent people. Has the makings to be a great company.

Cons

Runs like a small company that has inexperienced sales leadership. No strategic sales leaders. They can't bring in the industry level leadership needed because they are not willing to pay the salary of what that would cost. CEO gives visionary speeches of the product, but does not hold his leaders accountable. Somehow, there has been no sales leadership change when they have drastically underperformed with no plans of how they will change that. Much of this comes from the fact that majority of them do not have the experience to lead a sales organization. In my time there, I do not recall I time where I saw a leader inspire and LEAD. Having a great product doesn't pay off if you don't have the people that know how to sell it. How can you expect these leaders to succeed when the company is much larger if they can't succeed now?

Advice to Management

Make the tough decisions and don't be afraid to remove leadership that does not perform and meet goals. Sales reps are held to performance standards and the same should be done for their leaders. Stop accepting mediocre success and demand performance of what an industry leading company requires. You don't just need top engineers... Also, move out of Mill Valley and into San Francisco. You have to spend money to make money.

Mar 27, 2017 – VP Sales

It’s unfortunate that Glassdoor ended up not being a fit for you, but we appreciate you taking the time to provide this candid feedback. This is a team that has grown considerably - in numbers and in... More

"The mass exodus has begun"

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

usual tech start up perks
    smart and cool coworkers (extending beyond work friends)
    work outside of SF
    Dogs in the office

Cons

Leadership/management hasn't been listening to employees over the last 10ish or so months leading to many people questioning whether or not the right people are in place to lead this company
    Transparency is no longer a thing that exists as Glassdoor. Many people are informed of departures of coworkers weeks and months after the fact. No one has any idea in what direction the company is headed
    We are now large enough to where "changes" don't happen overnight and are mostly long, drawn out processes that many of us don't get a chance to see through
    People have been promoted into management and director roles just because of internal ties that has many of those scratching their head why and how it happened
    Pay is terrible and to drive that point home our own tool confirmed it

Advice to Management

You are on the verge of losing the faith and backing of your employees. Many have chose to leave given your lack of action and this is only the beginning. Most of us that are still here have chosen to wait and see what you do in April with pay, comp plans and the direction of the company.

It's time to stand behind our mission, pay your employees market value and make the comp plans attainable and realistic. Lastly, match people's 401k plans, it's ridiculous that this isn't offered already. The equity package is no longer a suitable excuse for the poor pay.

The ball is in your court, Robert, do you want this company to go the wayside of Yelp? Or will you finally listen and make the changes necessary to right the ship and restore Glassdoor to the glory days before it is to late?

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I always appreciate direct feedback. And you've identified a number of areas for improvement, many of which are already in the works. We're almost twice the size we were last year at this time with... More