Glassdoor Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a positive work/life balance" (in 61 reviews)

• "We have options for work from home and flexible hours" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Quickly evolving organization so there are some growing pains" (in 36 reviews)

• "The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Work feels like HOME!!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.

We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.

Your coworkers will become family!

Cons

As a new team, the role is continuously changing, but management's positive energy and great communication helps for an easy transition.

Advice to Management

Every day you have a smile on your face and bring great energy to the entire office. The team appreciates everything you do for us and the company!

May 29, 2018 – HR Team

Thank you so much for sharing how much you enjoy working at Glassdoor. Creating a work environment and culture where people feel welcomed and they can be themselves is something we strive for and... More

"Everyday is a great day!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: Glassdoor has a unique culture that makes you feel as though upper level management is just as accessible as your teammate. Very welcoming culture that sees itself as a community

Building: Beautiful office that makes coming to work every day that much easier

People: Never have I felt uncomfortable asking for help from someone within the org. Everyone here wants to see the company as a whole and its individuals succeed.

Upward Mobility: Specifically in the role of an OSR you are expected to be promoted within a year and my manager has done an incredible job of advocating for that

Supported: I always feel as though my voice is being heard and appreciated. Being a part of the OSR team has been such a fun experience because we are a new team that is figuring out how to meet our full potential. That being said our feedback is an essential part of that process and I genuinely feel like I am a part of something pivotal within the company.

Cons

The role is constantly changing and being adaptable is a must. I love this aspect of the role but the only downside of it is not being able to master one thing and once you feel like you have worked out the kinks and become an expert another change comes along.

Advice to Management

You are awesome and I'm proud to be working with such a great company! I do feel like there is room for improvement in regards to training. Since we are such a new team, there was not much training relevant to the OSR role and it would be great to have more valuable training material.

"Some growing pains, but overall great place to work!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The mission
    -Product is easy to get behind, so we feel pretty confident on the phone
    -The people are great, which makes a huge difference in company culture
    -I’ve had positive experiences with management that wants us to succeed and grow
    -New Chicago office is great
    -Robert and executive leadership is good at keeping us in the loop and demonstrating transparency
    -Opportunities for career growth
    -I feel excited about our future!

Cons

-We’ve grown a lot, which comes with some growing pains. At times internal communication could be much better, especially around promotion path and specific steps/timeline to promotion. I think we’re taking good steps to get there, though!

-Our Chicago office is great, even though location is a little difficult for commuters. It would be amazing if there was the option to use the gym downstairs for free! I know I’m paying extra to commute there, so maybe sometime down the line that will be a wellness perk provided to employees.

Advice to Management

Please keep working toward completely transparent communication regarding promotion path and letting us know about changes to quotas or promotion timelines ASAP.

Mar 5, 2018 – Co-Founder and CEO

Thank you for the feedback. We are incredibly proud of the new Chicago office and we’ve invested a lot of time, love, and input in order to make it comfortable for our teams. This is a very exciting... More

"Drained and Confused"

Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SMB Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- straightforward product to sell
    - notoriety with job seekers gives us a chance to sell against LinkedIn and Indeed
    - hardworking individual contributors who can be friends outside of the office if that is your style
    - Great office locations nationally and internationally (SF, Chicago, London, Dublin, Ohio)
    - Admirable senior leadership team that will offer mentorship, guidance and encouragement when you ask for it

Cons

- Politics: favoritism is rampant and cadres closest with upper management gets the first look at promotions
    - Profitability: seems to be an issue because we are cutting back on employee perks
    - Accountability: Managers are stretched thin but when they make almost 200k and when you do the office work they ask from you, you expect them to do at least the things they say they will do
    - Patronizing: clap twice if you agree with me

Advice to Management

Robert. You missed a good opportunity to be a real person today with your Chicago office. Delivering that news is a difficult task but you hid behind a subordinate yet again.

Please apologize to the new hires who now feel duped. Employees that have been here a while unfortunately are not shocked. We feel embarrassed and disappointed.

Rich Barton would say "swing big". We seem to keep swinging and missing.

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for the feedback.

Internal promotions are a huge part of coming to work for Glassdoor, and in sales in particular, they are based pretty purely on performance. We will take into account... More

"Practice what you preach"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great and I could not ask for a better team to work with or to be a part of. When I started, we had a great culture and really embraced the growing start up vibe. On a team level we are there to help each other every step of the way.

Cons

Our comp plan was recently changed to the point where many of us cannot afford to live. We are completely underpaid and under appreciated. Pay us less and expect us to do more? Not really a good way to run a business.

I would not recommend joining the company at this time. They are so focused on becoming public that they have lost their full sense of what Glassdoor is about. We preach transparency but recently we have all been in the dark. Suddenly there is something announced that is a major change. Management says they had no idea, but how can you run a business keeping your managers and directors our of the loop? Sounds a bit fishy.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor spends a ton of time trying to find the right fit, treating us the way you currently are is not going to help keep good employees around or hire the "right fit".

Sep 14, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you took the time to write and I’m sorry to read that things aren’t going as expected. As we examine our comp & quotas to make sure we’re getting this right, what keeps me motivated are the... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Great group of people that all get along- have a work hard play hard mentality. Managers always willing to help out in any way.

Cons

hard to get promoted quickly due to the amount of people wanting the same promotion.

"Amazing Learning Experience - Vision/Leadership still unclear"

Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people!! You will see time and time again that the people that work for this company are absolutely amazing. The office location can sometimes have you stranded due to flooding but almost always it is sunnier than the city. Lunch every day was delicious and it was also helpful to have the gym to workout whenever you wanted.

Cons

The Company

I feel like Glassdoor hasn't quite defined what they want to do yet. Do they want to focus on branding? Do they want to focus on Jobs? Do they want to focus on Salaries/Data? When I was there I wasn't quite sure what the play was, and I think the company is currently struggling with the same questions. How the product is sold also poses as a risk for the company. Sales people have to sell the vision of Glassdoor using mashed up ROIs in order to get Marketing/HR/Recruiting to invest. I think this is why the sales/cs team is such a large portion of the company (about 1/3 last time I was there) and I think there needs to be some creative thinking as I don't see the large proportion of sales as scalable.

Leadership

I think Sales Leadership is lacking. Glassdoor is not ready to become a public company if the leaders of the sales org cannot carry a number they signed off on. Leadership consistently "signs off" on decisions and then doubles back on this and says they never signed off or were pressured to do so, you will hear every excuse in the book instead of them owning it. This type of leadership unfortunately has percolated to the bottom, where now Sales Reps and Sales Managers think it is okay to do this when they aren't hitting their numbers as well, this is why quotas changed 5+ times during my time there. The culture has turned into the blame game versus grit. Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas.

HR/Promotion Cycle
    Glassdoor has a tight budget, don't expect to get promoted even if recruiting tells you that during your calls with them. I had 3 managers during my time and unfortunately this meant I didn't have anyone fighting to get me the salary I deserved. Don't expect anything to be given to you even if you do amazing work.

Advice to Management

I am at a public company now, changing quotas isn't an option. Stop allowing people to complain only 2 months after the start of a new year and even consider changing quotas. These people will not drive Glassdoor to be a public company, Glassdoor needs to remind people that all public companies take the number and roll with the punches. It would serve Glassdoor's leadership to have year of this to practice what it is like to be public.

Also, give people the salaries they deserve. Glassdoor is unfortunately okay with raising the salaries of the whole sales team, but it is like pulling teeth in order to shell out more investment (promos, etc.) for the Sales Ops team. Help your sales team by investing in your Sales Ops team, they are the ones who continually roll with the punches.

Jul 5, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for providing this review - this kind of feedback helps us to continually improve. Glassdoor is now 9 years old and with that age comes more complexity to our business. I share this as we want... More

"Meaningful work, opportunity for professional growth & project ownership and great culture!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful, interesting projects that keep coming as long as you do a good job
    - Flat org with a candid exec team
    - Sharp, politics-free team-players
    - Fun culture & great benefits
    - Short, reverse commute from SF

Cons

- Below market rate pay
    - Work-life balance varies depending on which team you are on & how critical your role is, which is expected

Aug 29, 2017 – VP, Sales Operations

Thank you for all the feedback. It means a lot to me that you find the work as meaningful as I do and appreciate the candid nature of our leadership team.

When it comes to pay, we are all... More

"Other side of the coin.."

Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2016 was not an easy year for Glassdoor or for anyone laying the foundation for this company. Growing pains have the inevitable cause and effects and some of that has made its way to reviews on our own Glassdoor page; a good reminder that we are not immune to our own solution. Part of what makes Glassdoor so unique is that we WANT to be held accountable. Leadership stands behind the transparency and accountability that are the threads throughout our mission. I call that leading from the front. I appreciate how gracefully this organization has navigated challenging times.

You should be aware of the good, the bad, the ugly of an organization before dedicating a large portion of your life to them. Glassdoor allows you to do this. Hopefully the reviews you have read thus far support your decision to start, stay, or move on from this organization, and that's a good thing! It means Glassdoor is living and breathing its own vision to help people find a job and company they (truly) love.

For what it's worth to the reader, I would like to share a story from the flip side of the coin.

Last week we celebrated the life of a former colleague. Her father spoke of his gratitude for the people who loved her well and supported her living the last years of her life with dignity and pride. Glassdoor was among those on the receiving end of his gratitude. This entire organization, from senior leadership on down, rallied behind this colleague in the most gracious ways and without question. I don't know about you, but to me, it's not where you are but who you're with that matters. These voluntary acts of kindness represent the incredible people inside these glass doors.

Cons

Like any company or human for that matter, Glassdoor is not perfect. All you can do is use these reviews to determine if it is perfect for YOU.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being the type of leadership I want to stand behind in good times and in bad. Today, I feel very grateful.

Mar 20, 2017 – CEO & Founder

I’m very touched by this feedback. Creating a culture where people support one another is a credit to our entire team and reflects the culture we try to live every day that is supportive and treats... More

"Not as good a company as advertised"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is trying to be innovative. There are good people who work there. I think that it could be a good place to work. The benefits and perks were pretty good.

Cons

Management generally does not live up to good values and treat people fairly. They have an image that they have created of helping to bring transparency to the workplace but that value is absolutely absent at Glassdoor. I'm most upset by the fact that they pretend to be better than other workplaces and the reality doesn't live up to it. So basically I hate hypocrisy and that is very present there.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and be honest with your employees and your customers.

Apr 28, 2017 – Sr Manager, Sales Development

I’m sorry to see that Glassdoor was not a fit for you. As a new leader on this team, I appreciate your honest feedback and take it seriously. I think we have an opportunity to over-communicate our... More