Glassdoor Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Everything I would consider a con would fall under the "growing pains" category (in 30 reviews)

• you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I found my dream job helping others find theirs"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Glassdoor is a great place for career growth, making friends, and experiencing new foods. I love our dog friendly office. It's so fun! We're also right beside the ocean which is just beautiful. One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance. Unlimited PTO allows me to take sick days without stress and the freedom to work my own hours lets me schedule my day how I like it. We also have a personal trainer on-site 3 days a week. I'm obsessed with her class. But my favorite part about working for Glassdoor is I enjoy showing up to work every day. Although I have the option to work from home some days if I like (I have a long commute), I love coming to the office because my co-workers are my friends. We also have standing desks: major plus. I love you Glassdoor!

Cons

I make below market pay, but for me, a job is SO MUCH MORE THAN SALARY. I love my job which is worth more than any amount of money. Don't get me wrong, I still make good money, I just could be making even more. Glassdoor pays decent :)

Advice to Management

I can't speak for other people so I don't have much to say. I really like the management style. The freedom I'm given means everything to me and I feel it makes me better at my job.

Feb 15, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you're finding your experience so rewarding that you used "dream job" in your title. You can't imagine how proud that makes me. I am delighted you are part of the ... More

"Workplaces don't get much better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

-Rewarding, interesting, exciting work
    -Great emphasis on work-life balance
    -Excellent benefits (free lunch, exercise classes, commuter benefits, paid-for insurance premium, flexible PTO)
    -Exciting time to be at the company — we're in early enough to have a lot of impact, but late enough that we're over a lot of the instability that early stage startups have
    -The company's doing very well at the moment
    -Kind and interesting coworkers. I've been in some cliquey workplaces before, and this is a refreshing break
    -Twice annual performance bonuses
    -Good managers and leadership
    -Most people here really believe in the mission
    -Lots of flexibility when it comes to working from home

Cons

-The commute. I reeeeally wish the office was in SF, not Marin
    -Work life balance is good overall, but there are moments where it really flares up (but that's largely because my team has roles that need to be filled)
    -Pay is pretty competitive for my role, although I know others don't feel the same (a lot of people in STEM roles and sales, I believe)

Advice to Management

-Consider opening an SF branch

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing and we’re glad you’re part of the team! Right now our SF office is small but mighty, and currently only houses a small number of data and engineering folks. As we grow, there’s ... More

"Sales Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I work with some of the most talented and fun people every day
     - The challenges that are put in front of you on a daily basis are challenging, but you know that nearly everything you touch is having a direct impact on the company trajectory.
     - One of the best things about working for Glassdoor, is it is extremely easy to stand behind and be motivated by the company mission to help everyone find a job that they love.

Cons

- The commute to Mill Valley isn't ideal but the view of the hills and the bay somewhat make up for it.
     - It feels like big changes are made without consulting all those that are affected. These changes cause team members to go back and do extra work from slight adjustments causing days or even weeks worth of work that does not move the needle.

"Good environment for work, could be better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great knowledgeable engineers to work with
    - Good for career growth
    - Good work/life balance
    - Great recreational activities

Cons

- Getting kudos from leads is very difficult
    - Getting approval of doing something new/different takes a huge effort
    - Moving across teams is difficult

May 20, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I agree, the engineers here really are great and they’re some of the most knowledgeable I’ve ever worked with. I can do a better job of saying that more often, and encouraging our leaders to do the ... More

"Not too big or too small, Glassdoor is just right!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor is still really young - only 8 years old, and much of the growth has happened in the last 2 years. That means that it's easy to make your mark if you've got ideas and experience.

The people are smart and friendly. It took me no time at all to build a network here. People are very open to the new programs and changes my team has implemented.

Cons

The location (Mill Valley) is lovely but there are no public transit options... so my commute is not great. Start and end times are super flexible though, so I just tend to come in early and leave early while others come in late and leave late.

There is a negative vibe in some corners of the company. My take on this is that some people are not faring as well with all the change and feel left behind.

Advice to Management

Make it possible/acceptable for more people to work in SF, at least a few days a week.

May 19, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to see feedback like this come in from a member of my own team. As you know, we work hard to make sure people feel like they can really make a difference here, it’s great to know they do ... More

"Flaws in stock option plan"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The site benefits job seekers and is good for the world. The company is young, energetic and has a good sense of camaraderie.

Cons

The stock option plan has several significant flaws that make the stock riskier than other startups. Most employees aren't aware of these flaws. The CEO has been aware of these issues for years and has not done anything about it. In fact he has done one thing to make it even riskier. He has failed the employees in this area.

Glassdoor rejected the first version of this review because I was specific about the ways it is riskier and leads to more tax for employees and exiting employees. So, to get this version approved, I am going to have to be more vague and leave it in the hands of the current employees to investigate and resolve with the CEO.

Without specifically saying what Glassdoor plan has or doesn't have...Theoretically, here is what a good stock option plan puts in place for its employees:

1) a way to avoid paying tax when option holders exercise stock. The way to do this is typically by putting an 83b program in place so employees can early exercise their stock when it's fair market value is the same as their grant price. If an 83b doesn't exist, employees can only exercise when they vest and it is likely that the 409a value has increased and the employee would have to immediately pay tax on the "paper gain". This puts the employee in the situation where they have to pay taxes and they actually can't sell the stock to help pay the taxes.

2) a way to get the clock started on the holding period required to pay the capital gains tax rate instead of the ordinary income rate when a liquidity event happens. This can amount to a large savings (i.e. 30%-50%) which is real money. This is also typically done via an 83b program. And...this is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT TO EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN THERE FOR MULTIPLE YEARS, An 83b program is one of the ways to enable employees to get the clock started on the 5 year holding period required for QSBS exemption which can mean that NO CAPITAL GAINS taxes are paid. This can be a HUGE savings for employees when there is an IPO or acquisition.

3) the ability to sell vested shares when the employee has a financial need. With many startup staying private for 10 years before a liquidity event...it is likely that employees will have financial needs during that period - everything from wanting to put a down payment on a house to paying for kids' schools, a wedding, or elder care. When a company is still private, the way they can enable employees to meet their financial needs is to not place "transfer restrictions" on the stock. This allows employees to use sites like equityzen and Sharespost to sell their stock to a third party buyer.

If you look on EquityZen's website...you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market.

Advice to Management

1)Make being a stockholder less risky.
    2) Provide copies of any stock related document / by-laws to the employees and shareholders
    3) explain to the employees what they can and can't do with their stock.
    4) explain what the stock plan provides to help the employees avoid unnecessary tax consequences

Apr 25, 2017 – CEO & Founder

Thank you for your review. We have looked at early exercise and 83b's, but they are risky attempts to avoid taxes. Most people do not fully understand the risk/reward tradeoff entirely, and the ... More

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the atmosphere smart and fun co-workers

Cons

Salary could be more equitable with the going industry rates

"Where do we start?"

Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid lunches 3x a week, there are great people that work here and the office space is cool. A meh location but if you have a car it's not bad to drive here. Good opportunity if you have a good manager that wants to push you to do your best.

Cons

This company claims to have growing pains, but we've been around since 2008. We've hired the wrong people with little to no relevance in the field to lead this space. The base salary is very bad compared to any other company, and Glassdoor's problem to solve this? Give us "incentives" to make more money with our quotas, which changed dramatically once they chopped up the books to make them supposedly better.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners and actually make changes to the salary. You have an opportunity to actually make a change and I really miss what we once had here.

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for your honest feedback-- as the head of sales, I’d welcome a frank discussion about your concerns. I want to make sure everyone on this team feels supported and I would be curious if our ... More

"Fun, engaging, challenging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are given the opportunity to do great work with as much or as little supervision or guidance as you need. Transparency is high and it really feels like you are being encouraged and empowered to make an impact. It is an exciting time to be at this company, we are having fun and getting things done!

Cons

We have a lot to do and there is a lot of necessary change happening, does not work for everyone. Some team members are wedded to the past and finding it hard to move on and look at things differently.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the change and keep listening!

"And, We're Back!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our Mission: Glassdoor has a mission I can really get behind - Help people everywhere find the jobs and companies that they love. You can feel that at the core of everything we do. It's the reason why we all go to work!

My Colleagues: I love the people I work with! Glassdoor recruits and keeps some of the brightest, most creative, friendly, funny, welcoming people I have ever met. My teammates encourage me to be genuine and real and provide the personal and professional support I was looking for in a team. My efforts and my personality have been acknowledged and appreciated here.

My Manager: My manager is incredible. He is remarkably talented at coaching individual members as well as coaching to the team which has made us all tight knit and one another's biggest fans. Personally, he has taught me a process, pushed me outside my comfort zone, and cultivated a confidence in me that I am so grateful for. He truly is a role model and a dear friend. Our entire team sees his tireless dedication to our team, to the company, and, most importantly, his family. He is all around a stellar human that we are lucky to know and work with.

Our Leaders: Leadership listens! I wrote a review about 6 months ago that was quite critical about where we were as a sales org. This included a critique of new processes that had been implemented that seemed to be slowing us down, as well as the tough quota targets. As a side note, that review was still 4 stars because I love Glassdoor. Anyways, since then, our middle management, VPs, and Exec Team responded to the reviews on Glassdoor, addressed concerns in town halls, implemented a new internal feedback loop (Glint), and, over time, solved for our biggest problems by reducing quotas and giving the sales team the opportunity to earn back lost dollars due to poor initial plan.

At the first half of 2016, Glassdoor had dropped the ball but I am happy to say that they have picked it up and are running hard toward the goal line. I love this company and am so proud to be part of a an org that REALLY LISTENS and WANTS TO DO RIGHT by it's employees.

Cons

Our biggest strength is our biggest weakness: we are a start up. Start up means that sometimes things are humming and jiving and other times things are broken and disorganized.

Career Development and Training could be improved. Processes are a work in progress. We have been iterating for a few years so innovation to product and positioning is welcome.

Although there are things to be improved, if I've learned anything in the 10 years I've been in the workforce and the 3 years I've been at Glassdoor, it's that things are not always perfect. I've also learned that really great companies and wonderful leaders seek to learn from those not so perfect times to make the organization better moving forward. Glassdoor and our CEO does that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and lean on your employees to offer feedback before, during, and after we implement big changes. We want to help. CS and Implementation still need some cleaning up and morale boosts. AE side needs some TLC and their managers NEED more training to build stronger, more motivated teams. We will continue to lose people if we don't. There needs to be A LOT more effort put into training and ongoing career development. You have very talented people at your org, don't let their brains and motivation to be better go to waste (that's how you hit numbers).