Glassdoor Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.1
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager (in 59 reviews)

• Flexible hours and the option to sometimes work from home help contribute to a good work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting Times, Great People"

Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

3 years later and I still feel so lucky to work here! My HR (People) leadership team supports me and constantly pushes me to grow. My goals and the goals of my teammates are clear, and we are encouraged to help each other and teach each other along the way. My opportunities feel endless here, there is always something new and exciting to work on around the corner. The benefits are extremely generous: free healthcare for employees, catered lunch every day, an onsite gym and locker rooms, Chariot to take you over the Golden Gate Bridge, and the best view of the Bay right outside your desk window.

Cons

The only constant here is change. If you can't roll with the punches and adapt to new processes, leadership, opportunities or whatever it may be, you might not enjoy the environment here. With that said, these changes teach us to be resilient and adaptable - both invaluable traits to learn in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us like you already are. The surveys, the Huddles (all company meetings), and the constant communication from Robert all help to make us feel like we are in this together.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for this excellent review and for your continued work here at Glassdoor. Our people team works tirelessly to make sure everyone has the best experience here and I’m glad that’s ringing true... More

"Easy Sales. Great Culture. Good place to grow."

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super easy sales
     - You close sales in 2-3 calls for Small or Medium Businesses.
     - Pipeline is always moving because of the quick sales cycle.
     - Everyone knows who Glassdoor is so when you are on the call it's always warm.
     - Monthly quotas keep you motivated the whole quarter long which creates a fast-paced environment

Great culture for growing a career
     - More than anything, people aren't judgemental. Be yourself and no one will give you a hard time.
     - Managers have your back.
     - You never feel like anyone is looking over your shoulder.
     - You can expect to be promoted every 12 months if you're doing well and the managers like you.
     - You learn sales methods from professional programs instead of learning everything on your own.
     - People are suuuuuuuper friendly and helpful
     - If you like to drink, the SF culture just seems to drink a ton so get ready for that
     - There's an SF office, a Chicago office, and a few international offices. If you want to transfer offices, live in London, etc. Glassdoor is actually open to it!

Perks and Benefits
     - CATERED MEALS are AMAZING! They've really found caterers who bring you great food every single day
     - Health, Dental, Life is all covered for you and partially covered for family members but it's top-of-the-line insurance providers
     - Work-Life Balance is something you determine with your manager. If you want to come in early and leave early, great. If not, most are expected to be here from 8-5 with an hour lunch. However, if you ever need to leave or stay home or go on a trip, they are super flexible and don't give you a hard time.

Leadership
     - They've had their struggles in the past but recognize that and have changed a TON.
     - The VP of Sales will actually sit in a room with sales reps and ask them what needs to be changed and they actually listen.
     - The CEO listens to feedback and consistently is trying to improve transparency and communication. He's also just a genuinely good guy.

Cons

Here are the few I've found
     - This place is LIBERAL. Good for half of you, maybe bad for the other half of you. All of SF is really liberal in general but if you're already living here then you're used to it. People aren't judgemental if you are republican, but I feel like you'll just hear a lot of left-wing chatter and that might bug some right-wing folks.
     - This place DRINKS! Once agian, good for some, maybe not for others. If you don't drink or don't want to be around people who do, maybe Glassdoor isn't for you. Once again, no one will judge at all if you don't, but there is a lot of that here.
     - Leadership is still making changes to improve compensation and I would say change in general is a minor challange.
     - Some leaders don't seem super strong, you know? Like, they aren't the type of people everyone wants to follow.
     - Compensation is enough to get by, but could be better. Like I said, they are making changes to get you more money.
     - If you perform, you'll get promoted. But there is definitely a "cultural fit" aspect to promotions as well. So know that to get promoted, managers will definitely have to like you. If you aren't likeable, you might not even get hired so...... nevermind

Advice to Management

Get strong leaders in place that have done this kind of thing before, not everyone has to be an internal promotion.

Figure out a way to pay salespeople more

Keep listening to us

"Big Improvement On How Things Were, But Still A Ways To Go"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working the CS at Glassdoor and have seen drastic changes in the department, largely for the better. Under our last VP, things were disorganized, unclear, misguided, and toxic. Colleagues were leaving the department left and right, complaints and bad moods abounded, and I really thought that it was going to continue getting worse. After that director left, the department still floated a bit and there was a lot of confusion for everyone.

However, the past couple of months have been a vast improvement in things for the department. The new VP came in with the right mindset of understanding the business, the company, and the department before making any judgments and enacting changes. I respect that he wants our department to be agile and evolve on the fly as necessary (while it may seem that some initiatives aren’t fully flushed out, its exciting to be in the thick of it and be kept on our toes). After nearly a year of waiting, we’ve finally been given a clear set of competencies for roles and levels of seniority in our department so that we know what to work on in order to grow. Our managers are receptive to our feedback and do their best to incorporate our ideas into the changes being made, I feel like leadership is really beginning to invest in our professional development, and we’re given freedom to take initiative in making improvements in our day-to-day work.

While the role of CSM can be repetitive at times, being able to explore other interest areas and find ways to incorporate them into our work. The new VP has said that he wants CS to be the pride of Glassdoor and the department people look to join; I feel this is a lofty goal, but it is apparent that he is sincere about and invested in this mission and is making strides towards it. I also appreciate that being in CS affords me a chance to collaborate with other teams and departments.

For Glassdoor as a whole, I feel like things were going downhill kind of quickly a few months back in terms of morale and the uncertainty of the direction the company was taking, but I feel that the ship has leveled and increased transparency and engagement from Robert and other leadership are starting to have a good impact.

Also can’t complain about great work-life balance, dogs, and free parking and lunch.

Cons

Pay could be better and 401k match would be nice, and while I’d like to be making more, some of the aforementioned perks make up for it, not to mention unlimited PTO and full benefits.

Communication on initiatives and collaboration across departments could use improvement; I often feel that conversations or requests are routed up and over through leadership instead of directly between employees.

From what I’ve heard, things have been tough on the Sales side, between quotas and the products available to sell. Updates to the product that employers care about should be prioritized, especially differentiators in our jobs product that can better track and deliver quality candidates instead of increased to drive volume and reduce costs per applicant (we’ll never beat Indeed on those). We need to be stronger in pushing the value and measurement of employer brand and employee engagement and tie that to the jobs product.

I’d also like to see more collaboration and engagement between offices, especially for Mill Valley & Chicago CS teams.

And please, do something about the sales floor. No concrete suggestions here, but there’s something about the setup that contributes to a weird vibe at times where it can extremely loud or uncomfortably quiet. I think the layout could be better to contribute to collaboration and an increased sense of connectivity (other teams feel very far from each other and infer this inhibits a sense of community).

Advice to Management

Be more transparent more regularly. Really invest in the development of your employees: they’re your greatest asset. The attrition rate needs to really cut back and we need to let people know they are valued, that their development is being invested in, and that they have a clear and promising path to grow their career at Glassdoor).

Please invest in a better version of Tableau (and coffee machines).

4. "Financial Analyst Intern"

Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, high level of responsibility as an intern, strong culture of mentorship and always felt like like my work was being taken seriously and viewed by upper management

Cons

Often slow days, and some times the management team lacked a unifying structure as to how they wanted certain projects and teams to perform and act.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job and reduce turnover!

Nov 29, 2017 – VP Finance

Thanks so much for the great feedback. We love hearing what a great experience you had at Glassdoor. We're continuously working to improve and streamline processes and communications between... More

"Awesome leadership & great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing CEO (Robert) who really cares for the team members and is extremely genuine in trying to create a great platform for people to use in searching for a company. I loved the collaborative environment, flexibility to own your stuff, and the challenge to be at the forefront of building great software. Thanks for the awesome experience.

Cons

I worked a lot, but this was mostly my own desire - I didn't feel micro-managed in any way, I just loved it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership and keep pushing the industry to create transparency for the world.

Nov 29, 2017 – Co-Founder and CEO

It's awesome to hear such positive feedback! We truly value our employees and really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your experience during your time with us. We have a lot... More

"International Content & Community Associate"

Former Employee - International Content & Community Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Glassdoor is being part of an uplifting and dynamic team that is dedicated to disrupt the old standards of how to find a job you love. Also, Glassdoor has great benefits: bring your dog to work, a full gym and game room, complimentary catered lunch each day are just a few to mention. In the content department, there is the opportunity to work outside the office, as long as expectations are met. I loved my co-workers and can honestly say there was not ever any drama within the team and team support was natural and genuine. Very much enjoyed my time there. When the company made a business decision to consolidate operations, they offered a nice severance package and I came away with a much better knowledge on how to go about finding that next job and how to negotiate my salary using “Know Your Worth” on Glassdoor’s website. The overall best benefit!

Cons

99% of my time I spent in front of my computer, and the work was repetitive. I did have the flexibility to clock in and out of projects during the day, but you are still expected to produce a full 8 hours of high quality work. In my position, the lack of creativity did dull my drive and my attention would wander... This is not a reflection on the company, but a reflection of the particular position that I was in. If you are a people person, want to move around a lot and are fueled by challenges, than another department such as sales, may be a better fit.

Advice to Management

Keep going - it's working! And, THANK YOU for the opportunity.

Nov 6, 2017 – Vice President, Content & Community

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review. We strive to walk our talk and provide a positive working environment for our employees. It's so good to hear that you felt genuinely supported and a... More

"Great Team Sales Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with a team that pulls for everyone's success.

Cons

The on-boarding process could be a little more streamlined.

Oct 25, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your review. We are constantly working to improve our on-boarding process and would be interested in hearing any feedback you would be willing to share on how we can streamline the... More

"Finally, A Company That Feels Like Home"

Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 15 years in my career, I've finally found a company that truly fits 96% if not more of my needs, wants and desires. It is the perfect place for me in my life right now, professionally and personally. I used to think that a job could only be but so good -- that it could only satisfy two of the three major requirements (pay, people and project). My husband says that he learned in business school that you will, in fact, only ever get two of the three. However, I have found all three at Glassdoor. A great salary, funny/hard-working people and a project or work product that challenges me every day and gives me the autonomy I've been looking for.

It's a senior start-up, as I like to say. Glassdoor has the nimbleness of a start-up with none of the uncertainty. It has the professional polish of a large company without the politics or bureaucracy. It's a great place for those who know what they want and have the drive, passion and mid-career experience to make it happen.

Cons

As a member of the marketing organization, I don't experience many of the downsides that others might. Overall it's a very strong organization. However, to provide balance, here are the areas that need improvement:
    -Clear focus on business objectives and resources. While there is so much to do with the product and in the space, Glassdoor is only 750 people. Prioritization is key. To do everything we want to do, we'll have to either focus on the 80-20 rule more, or hire more people.

-Location. I love working on the waterfront, but the commute is hard for 85% of the company in Mill Valley. A larger SF office with opportunities to work from there would be great not only for current staff but for our recruitment and retention efforts.

-People of Color. No need to beat around the bush, I'm not talking about "diversity." I'm referring to actual people of color in our ranks. We need more. We have diversity of thought, gender, socio-economic status, etc. However, Glassdoor truly struggles with hiring and retaining people of color. It's no longer okay to say that we're not as big as our contemporaries and, therefore, cannot put the emphasis on hiring people of color. It's imperative to our innovation and growth that we invest in racially diverse communities.

Oct 24, 2017 – VP Corporate Communications

I am so glad you’re part of this team! Words like these help remind all of us why we come to work every day and I’m so happy to see this job is the right fit for you.

Your review is a great... More

9. "My best internship yet!"

Former Intern - Data Science Intern in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Intern - Data Science Intern in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Not stressful, happy faces all around!

Cons

I like the grind and being under pressure which brings the best out of people in my opinion and Glassdoor has a very relaxed atmosphere.

"Great perks - but they still need to figure out how to transition from a start-up to an actual business model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks - free food, free benefits, dogs in office.

Cons

Start-up mentality is hindering this company to expand to it's full potential. For the years of existence this company has - they should be a global platform widely known across the board. I still come across people who have no idea who or what Glassdoor is. (And these folks are top in the tech industry.)

Advice to Management

Stop thinking as a start-up and start thinking as a corporation. Also stop spreading yourselves short. Trying to be involved in every single detail of the day to day business also hinders the ability for executives to see the broader picture and also limits their capabilities of actually being able to push the business forward. Delegate - that is why you have management beneath you to be involved and report back. Some executives try to do more than imaginably possible and it creates rifts between teams and backlogs of action items that need to be pushed forward. In other words - you should really focus on the mission of the company instead of being involved in everyone else's business.

Aug 30, 2017 – CHRO

I appreciate this feedback and please know that we are listening. I’m sorry to see Glassdoor wasn’t the right place for you and I wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor. It sounds like we... More