Glassdoor Reviews in Sausalito, CA | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Stock options, flexible vacation policy, ability to work from home if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Everything I would consider a con would fall under the "growing pains" category (in 30 reviews)

• you'll see that many bay area tech company employees' are able to sell their shares on the secondary market (in 18 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Sausalito, CA
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, great people. Great environment, great people. Great environment, great people. Great environment, great people. Great environment, great people. Great environment, great people

Cons

Through out my entire time interning her I was having a very good time, paid well and learned a lot of things for my future.

"Enterprise Account Manager"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is willing to listen. Great co-workers. Amazing world and industry changing consumer product.

Cons

Lots of transition right now, with that comes a lot of change - keeping up with all the change can be tough sometimes.

Advice to Management

We need to be individually focused on what our mission is doing for the world, and the impact we are having on people's daily lives. That's the mission that keeps me at Glassdoor, that's the bond we should have with each other knowing companies in our space have goals but none so altruistic as ours. We get so focused on the day to day - we forget that we are on this long journey with peaks and valleys, we forget to look up every once in awhile and see the Mountain in the picture representing our long term goals. I would love to hear our new leaders explain why Glassdoor's mission is worldly important because I relay that to our clients on a daily basis. This would help create a bond that our visions are aligned, that the reason we grind daily is for a common goal. I would run through walls for that type of leadership - even outside my own department.

Aug 4, 2016 – VP Sales

I agree with all of these reviews which regardless of sentiment, call out the great people at Glassdoor. Thank you for your continued efforts. I'm more proud today of this team today than I ever have ... More

"Best Company I've Worked For! (if you can handle moving targets...)"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Collaborative culture where people manner and feedback is greatly valued
    - Quality of candidate screening process - not a unilateral decision; every one on the team has a say
    - Work/Life balance: Able to leave at a decent hour and not expect a flood of emails in the evening or over weekends
    - Ability to grow professionally: management cares about fostering your talent and giving you opportunities to network, test/expand your skills, increase your responsibilities
    - Working cross-functionally: high likelihood to work with various teams and departments, rather than being siloed
    - On-boarding experience: thoughtful coaching, buddy system, well-paced training materials for sales and marketing staff
    - Visibility and transparency: Upper management is open about their plans/goals/initiatives, and regularly shares feedback and answers questions in bi-weekly company-wide huddles
    - Company events/socials: Fun company happy hours, team lunches, holiday parties, great company spirit - Wellness: Free food every day and fitness classes offered, great gym
    - Pay and equity: competitive pay and wonderful equity package for all employees
    - Dog-friendly policy: such a great way to boost morale and liven up the workplace
    - Quality of leaders/managers: thoughtful and careful selection of our leaders pays off, each executive team leader is respectable, highly motivating and effective at moving the organization forward
    - Great internship program and community involvement (e.g. Gratitude Lunch and Engineering After School program)

Cons

- Reign in your egos, middle-management: Despite everyone having equity in the company and boasting the "people first" motto, many middle-management leaders/directors posses and exhibit some serious egos. Rather than being collaborative, they have a tendency to shut down ideas, speak dismissively.
    - Exec managements limited understanding of B2B sales/marketing: As a marketing team member, it feels as though we are constantly fighting a battle to prove our worth and justify our spend. While, yes, marketing is responsible to generating pipe/bookings, there are countless other impacts that are immeasurable.
    - Not enough engineering support for marketing: Making a minor update to a website should not take over a month. Need to be able to advantageously explore digital marketing opportunities without waiting months for the next open sprint.
    - Avoiding personnel issues: We promote being a culture that is humble and not arrogant, respectful and not mean, but there are some employees who receive multiple warnings about being rude, dismissive, arrogant and mean, but still remain employed and/or just get shifted to another role. I'm not sure if skating around the issue is the best way to foster these values.
    - Too many presentations - QBR, Monthly Reviews, "How Marketing Works" impromptu decks - the list goes on.
    - Lack of or always-shifting product roadmap
    - Chasing a moving target - Delayed forecasts and sales models creates inefficiencies, unnecessary worry/concern

Advice to Management

- Provide coaching and/or training courses to new middle managers (Associate Dir./Directors) on leading effectively and professionally
    - Look for ways to combine or eliminate "nice to have" deck requests and presentations. They are a huge time commitment and seem like they happen too often
    - Invest heavier in Sales/Marketing Opps - the systems simply can't keep up with the pace of our growth
    - Keep up the great work on culture, fun activities, coaching/EQ training
    - Fix the modelling system

"The company is good but the management is just bad"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined the company as a new grad engineer. Glassdoor is a great company. I can't think of how someone can go through a job seeking process without using Glassdoor. I love the company and it was the reason I chose it over other offers I had at the time. But I wish I could have a better manager. I don't wish to be in another team because all my teammates are knowledgeable and fun to work with. It's just weird how a manger of a hard core back end team doesn't like coding and spent most of his time in meetings without implementing any important piece of code while the company is still a startup. It's ok to be in meetings but it's not right when you are an engineer lead and have more meetings than your project manager. Yes we have a PM. All the team members could see the problem, brought it up but nothing changed. I don't want to go in more details, but I do want to see Glassdoor successful. Look back at the journey I had at Glassdoor, I do realize I learnt many things from my teammates. I'm glad to know and have them in my life. I don't regret my choice, I just wish it could be better for everyone.

To any new grad: choose your manager for your first job, it should be the highest priority because he/she will be your mentor (or no mentorship at all if you choose a wrong one).

Cons

I want to say management, but I can't really say so because I only experienced it in my team. Maybe managers of other teams are better.

Advice to Management

At least do some real work and stop wasting other people time by forcing them to talk about feeling, forcing them to follow "must comment on any pull request" ridiculous rule and creating unnecessary discussions just to have you in there.

Jun 3, 2016 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I'm glad you valued the people you worked with - I agree we have an amazing group of people. I'm sorry that you did not have a great experience with your manager. I believe code reviews are ... More

"Great place to work, but sales culture trending in the wrong direction"

Former Employee - Sales in Sausalito, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Sausalito, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It all starts at the top with Bob Hohman. He is a truly inspirational leader that has created a phenomenal company culture. Every employee feels valued. There are also great perks, like the amazing office, lunch, game room, gym, etc. On the whole, the people are some of the best I have ever worked with. Very smart, engaged, and great people!

Cons

Most of my cons are related to the Sales Team. Although it is still a great team, I think the culture of the team is trending in the wrong direction. Other than a few exceptions, the management on the new business side of sales is just ok. It feels more and more like sales folks are just a number. Culturally, the team also feels more and more like a frat party these days. Some of this is a simple fact of scaling a team, but some of it is due to a lack of strong leadership.

Advice to Management

Make it a requirement for new manager candidates to interview with sales reps. We have hired too many mediocre (or occasionally worse) managers.

Seriously start thinking about how the commute to the North Bay is impacting talent acquisition and retention. We have been talking about providing transportation for a long time, but no actions have been taken yet. With bridge tolls and gas, it costs a lot of money to get to work every day.

Oct 3, 2015 – Director of Sales

Thank you for submitting this review. We agree - Robert Hohman is a very special CEO and has built an amazing company culture. As far as your comments with respect to the sales culture - first and ... More

"Love coming to work everyday!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture, benefits, training, and leadership. I've worked for many companies where I've hated going to work everyday, Glassdoor is not one of those companies. I wake up and am thrilled to go to work with such amazing people everyday! I don't ever want to leave!

Cons

The food can be similar daily (we get lunch everyday).

Advice to Management

We love our leadership and can't thank you enough for hearing us! Whenever there is an issue they listen, analyze the issue, devise a plan, and implement.

"Great Place to Work with Some Big Challenges"

Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't wait to get to work everyday at Glassdoor. It's an environment full of passion, great energy, and smart people.

Great cultural leader - the CEO sets the tone of working hard, humbleness, listening to all points of view, and solving problems together. He's created a very special company.

Exciting business - we're disrupting and making the world a better place everyday - it's a mission that everyone at the company deeply cares about.

Flexibility - everyone works hard, but there's a lot of tolerance for getting your work done on your own schedule, working outside of office hours, etc.

Strong Consumer and B2B businesses - great leadership and employees have made this company successful.

Strong performance - continuous performance above target in most areas makes riding on this train extremely gratifying.

Scrappy teams that "find a way" to get it done.

Cons

Despite all the amazing "pros", several fairly serious challenges have developed recently due to company's roots and massive growth year over year that need to be addressed. This is a very detailed list, because I care. I love this company and I want it to continue to be great. I would like our leadership to tackle these problems:

1. We work in a two-sided marketplace, and unfortunately, there's a big divide between the teams as well. The company originated on the consumer side, and most of the founders and people able to influence strategy and product innovation place the priority on the consumer side of the business. This makes it challenging to get resources and product improvements to improve the employer experience with our product.

2. It's sometimes unclear how and why product decisions get made, and although people can freely give their input to the product team, it's unclear how the work is prioritized, when things will be delivered, etc. It feels like the product roadmap should be born from a clear company and product strategy, but it feels like a handful of people are making the decisions based on their opinions, with lack of serious consideration of input from internal or external customers. Some of this may be due to a lack of product or engineering resources - but it's definitely a struggle to get engineering resources on anything outside of what product leaders have planned, which is causing us to ignore many innovative ideas with high revenue potential.

3. We're unfortunately developing a culture where you have to work hard to get resources because so many resources are cross-functional. The cross functional resources aren't working, because individuals make decisions on what they are going to work on rather than those decisions being made based on a clear strategy from the top.

4. We need to drink our own champagne when it comes to our culture. In the time I've been at the company, there's been little mention of our culture. We have amazing values stemming from our CEO, but we need to take advantage of those and get everyone on board - especially some of our top leaders who aren't always behaving in ways that align with the core cultural values that Robert believes in for the company.

5. Our strategy from the top is very detailed on the consumer side, but it often feels like our employer business strategy is a line item. I'd like to see everyone in senior management put as much thought into the employer strategy and take the initiative to get to know that business and its customers much better.

6. When entering new businesses or launching new products, we often don't put the strategic horsepower, resources, or dollars behind them. High expectations are set for revenue without the supporting resources or plan, creating a situation where it's difficult to deliver and teams continuously feel like their failing until the product is developed to the point where it provides true value. I'd like to see us define what will make a product and go-to-market strategy successful and get a significant portion of that done before we hold people to revenue targets.

Advice to Management

Spend more time proactively working on the culture and strategy and communicate that out often. Create a strategy that is equally consumer and employer.

Listen to leaders and employees about structural issues, take a hard look at them, and try to make some changes that will make us all productive.

It's time to launch products the right way. Define what is needed for success, and get that done before we launch products and assign people revenue targets.

"Loving Life at Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful headquarters on the water in Sausalito which includes free parking and free lunch!
    -Glassdoor is growing like crazy and it is very exciting to hit new milestones every quarter
    -The sales org has well defined career paths, aggressive but attainable quotas, uncapped commission, fun co-workers, and a supportive management team
    -Clients are very engaged at the Enterprise level. It is fun to work with big brands and make an impact on their business.
    -Our CEO was the main reason I came to Glassdoor. He is brilliant, approachable, and people would follow him anywhere
    -I adore my colleagues
    -Unlimited PTO! I have really taken advantage of that over the past few years :)

Cons

-Sausalito could be considered a downside since it is not in the city, which also makes happy hour a little challenging (I actually like the counter-commute from the city)
    -Normal growing pains, such as territory re-alignments, new processes, and not knowing everyone by name anymore
    -First 6 months for new sales rep can be a little daunting since there is a big learning curve

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your teams and make appropriate adjustments
    -The sales org could use more team outings so that we bond with new hires
    -Sales needs another product to sell - our clients want to buy more!
    -Focus on our culture as we grow
    -Keep up the great work!

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and culture. Everyone at the company is incredibly helpful, outgoing and an overall team player. I trust those around me to do the right thing and get the job done at all times. There's also loads of opportunity to be had and the freedom to try new approaches to things. I also appreciate the awesome level of collaboration we have across teams (marketing, sales, PR, recruitment, etc.). Our CEO is remarkable and his passion for the company and candidness with employees furthers everyone's belief in / support of our mission.

Cons

We definitely are experiencing some growing pains. As we get bigger, certain systems need to be put in place to compensate for folks being stretched too thin or not enough. It's especially difficult in positions where there is only one person in the function. Many folks may see a single role in multiple lights and it's hard to live up to everyone's expectations and deliver on the amount of requests that come through.

Advice to Management

The company is fantastic and I think you'd be hard to find someone who doesn't love the people they work with here. As we expand, clearer definitions of roles and responsibilities would help reduce ambiguity and stress on certain departments. We also do need to invest in technologies that allow us to scale.

11. "Young. Gifted. Positive."

Pros

Summary

More than any company I've ever worked for, Glassdoor practices what it preaches when it comes to the art of organizational transparency. For example, everyone has a say when it comes to new hires (a first in my career), excellent work is publicly acknowledged and management openly discusses results, company changes and the future on a regular basis in all-hands meetings. Glassdoor also boasts the youngest worker demographic of any tech company I’ve worked for, which makes it an energetic, fresh, positive, fast-paced, “Let’s try this!” environment.

Detailed Pros

-Supportive—B2B managers and colleagues have your back, let you know when you’ve done a good job, single you out for love in team meetings
    -Fast growing and open—management honest about future of company, quarterly results
    -Hiring process—taken very seriously, everyone on team has a say, vote and stake in decision
    -Smart, bright people—few, if any weak links, which makes B2B run like a Ferrari
    -Great business model and mission—helping employers make great hires makes you feel good
    -Open floor plan—conducive to collaboration, quick brainstorms, getting things done fast
    -Generational—youngish worker demographic comes with less professional baggage and hang-ups, less “We used to do it this way at XYZ company” attitude
    -Training—new hires go through serious onboarding
    -Dog friendly environment—reduces daily stress, helps lighten things up
    -Great benefits—unlimited PTO, catered lunches, gym, team outings

Cons

-B2B/B2C divide—sometimes feels like two separate companies under one roof
    -Open floor plan—no privacy, often leads to cacophony, hectic environment
    -Sales territories—constantly changing, moving targets lead to churn in Sales, disrupting Marketing sales enablement efforts
    -Dog friendly environment—often a distraction to business at hand
    -Food—more healthy snacks would be appreciated
    -Generational—youngish worker demographic can turn office into free-wheeling party

Advice to Management

Work harder to integrate B2B/B2C sides of the business so talent, expertise and knowledge can be leveraged, repurposed and shared.

May 15, 2015 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate your candor. As you know, we recently re-orged our Marketing Department to bring B2B and B2C marketing together under our CMO. This should really ... More