Glassdoor Senior Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

4.9
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has overall been amazing experience. The people who work for Glassdoor are truly amazing and care about the product. The Glassdoor mission is clear and product is great. I couldn't be happier.

Cons

Like every startup, there are growing pains. This past year was tough with quotas a bit of a stretch. However, management took note of the miss and made the correction. We are back on path and heading for a great year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

I’m glad you’re part of this team and grateful for your feedback about our comp plans. If you have more feedback about how the new quotas are working for you, my door is always open.

"Everything I was told it would be, and then some"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They sold it to me as a pre-IPO startup with the opportunity to get in early, and that's exactly what it is. The growth potential here is tremendous, and everyone at the company really does care about you and your goals. Work-life balance, benefits and the office atmosphere are all the best I've ever experienced. Glassdoor has been, and will continue to, shake up a pretty well-established "job board" market. The old models from indeed and monster are going away and Glassdoor will be the first to connect job seekers and companies based on a deeper, more emotional level than just matching skills. Being a part of the team and seeing the value that we are delivering to clients is fun and it's only just starting to catch on. Glassdoor has owned the user-generated content regarding employers for a long time, and once we solidify our spot as the one-stop-shop for job seekers to learn not just about companies, but also find new opportunities, the sky will be the limit and the old job boards will just be trying to catch up.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are typical of an organization that is growing like crazy and figuring out how best to monetize their products and audience. Leadership gives clear direction for long term success, but sometimes the water gets a little muddy during the short term as we and there could be a little more transparency about some of the moves that have been made. I think that this is somewhat of a learning experience for everybody, so there are occasional hiccups. It's the small risk you have to accept when you join a relatively young organization.

Advice to Management

The openness of leadership is amongst the best I have seen across the multiple organizations I have been a part of prior to coming here. That being said, when discussing a vision for 100 miles down the road, it's helpful to discuss what will be happening at each mile in between so there are no surprises.

Apr 12, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Sales

Thanks for sharing your excitement for Glassdoor, we’re excited to have you on the team! Your review reminds me how grateful I am to our team who has brought the Glassdoor culture we cultivated here... More

"SAE Hunters Beware! Sales Territories are horribly unbalanced"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great company culture. There are a lot of really cool, smart people.
    - Lots of perks: catered lunch, plenty of unhealthy snacks, video games, ping pong, a fitness facility, dog friendly..
    - The company is doing very well and is growing like crazy.
    - The commute is only about 20 minutes from San Francisco and there is plenty of parking.
    - Lots of valuable sales training.
    - Beautiful location

Cons

The sales territories at the SAE level are horribly unbalanced. To put this into perspective, only two reps at the SAE tier hit their quota last year. TWO. Those two reps represented New York City and San Francisco. These are by far the best sales territories at Glassdoor, as they are not only densely populated areas, but there is a high level of competition for talent. There is also strong awareness of Glassdoor and Glassdoor employer solutions. While Glassdoor is rapidly growing, many employers, especially those in the middle of the country, have no idea who Glassdoor is, let alone how Glassdoor works with employers. Many employers simply know Glassdoor as, "that place where people can complain about our company". As a senior account executive representing these territories, that is a huge challenge. You are less of a senior account executive and more of a new market developer. Your meetings resemble more of a free webinar than a sales meeting. And when it comes time to make a proposal, good luck. Employers who just recently learned who you are and what you do are not likely to move-forward with a big dollar partnership. Most don't even have the budget for it. Get very used to hearing, "maybe next year".

Now, to be "fair and balanced" as we say, leadership has FINALLY acknowledged the fact there is unbalance with territories, and at the beginning of this year, they did make a few adjustments. For many reps however, this was too little, too late. We were held to the exact same standards as reps with NYC and San Francisco, and many reps lost their jobs as a result of not hitting their numbers. This is really unfortunate because there are a TON of good sales professionals at Glassdoor.

My advice: If you decide to accept a position as an "SAE Hunter", tell them that you want a fair and balanced territory - anything on the West Coast, or Northeast is good. Minnesota, Chicago, and Denver are also pretty good. If they try to give you exclusively accounts in the South or Mid-West, run far away. You will beat your head against the wall for as long as you can until they fire you for not hitting your numbers. I don't care how good of a sales rep you think you are, you will try hard and you will fail.

A few other things to note:

- The sales floor is incredibly loud and chaotic, especially with so many dogs in the office. Be prepared for this. Buy good headphone and use the conference rooms and phone booths. You don't want to jeopardize a good meeting because of this.

- Take your vitamins. The sales floor is like working at a hospital. Someone is always sick which means that everyone is always sick.

- The office is awesome, but it's super isolated. There isn't many places to get lunch or go to happy hour. Plus, running a quick errand is pretty much impossible.

- Make sure you go outside. Too many days I would come-in in the mornings, and not go outside until after it was dark. This is bad for your mental and physical health. Sausalito is a beautiful area, so be sure and take a walk with a co-worker so you can complain about your territory or sales manager :)

Advice to Management

- Fix the territories! Duh. You're going to lose great sales people and get a bad reputation. Plus, no one will want to get promoted from AE.

- Be careful about politics. The majority of my sales team joined after I did, but they all received WAY better sales territories. Why? You tell me. Many reps had preexisting relationships with the sales manager. I am not saying that this is how territories are determined, but if it has something to do with it, than that is unacceptable and should be fixed immediately.

- Be careful when hiring sales managers. Many are phenomenal, while many are unqualified and have no clue to how encourage and motivate reps. I had a few really bad experiences that greatly damaged my confidence and made me question the integrity of that individual and the company. It's one thing to want to win, but belittling people and questioning their integrity and skill set is unacceptable. Fix this immediately.

- Less meetings! There are WAY to many pointless meetings. In order to meet the ridiculous expectations, there needs to be more time on the floor.

- Make sick people go home!

Feb 5, 2015 – VP of Sales

Thank you for providing a very thoughtful review. The ongoing feedback we receive on Glassdoor, in 1:1 meetings or elsewhere continues to help us refine our strategy. To your point on sales reps who... More

"Honeymoon is definitely NOT over!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I come to work inspired every day by the people and the product. In addition, everyone is treated like an adult...get your work done, and no one cares if you've taken time to go to the gym or run some errands. It is incredibly exciting to be a part of a team that is helping to increase transparency in the employment world.

Cons

They really need to figure out a fair distribution of territories as it's clear that some people have a much better opportunity than others to succeed. They are working on this, and I'm hopeful that it will be more evenly distributed for everyone going forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to do pulse checks on your team, continue to hire sales development reps (who are awesome) and continue to invest in getting the glassdoor name out there.

"Great career move"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales culture here is fantastic. Everyone is so supportive of our common goals. With a relatively newer company, the team is well invested in the future. We all care about the guy/girl next to us succeeding and it shows. The compensation is better than what I've received in the past and puts me on track to make great money. Everyone has fun working here from sales to legal to accounting to engineering. I felt very welcomed from day one and the on-boarding process is great for anyone looking to join Glassdoor.

Cons

A lot of things are still in process or in development. This goes with the territory in any company like this. The sales transition was messy in some cases. Not everyone got a good deal and some did genuinely get the short end of the stick. It was a very necessary change and some reps probably made way more money than they should have last year. This next year will really allow the cream to rise to the top per-se.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, fix the particular employee count issue everyone knows about ASAP. There's a lot of fixing to be done, but this should be high on the list. Second, let's tighten up our leadership and get this show on the road. Things haven't felt the same since transitioning everyone's roles.

"Watching the company grow & change"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is very good, but likely not sustainable into the future
    There are some very good leaders within the organization
    The career opportunities are increasing as the company is growing
    There is a clear opportunity to be more than just a # as the company is still small enough for you to make an impact
    Training is so much better than in the past
    Sales employees are treated and compensated fairly
    There isn't much "dog eat dog" in the sales department
    Finally seeing more promotions from within

Cons

The growth in which we've experienced is watering down the culture (which was and can still be absolutely amazing)
    I feel like hiring in the sales department needs to slow down a bit, particularly in "enterprise"
    Starting this job as a remote rep isn't a good strategy. Reps need to spend at least their first year in the office
    I believe we need to promote more from within. A better balance is needed.

Advice to Management

Be sure to understand who your leaders are in the sales org. Also, sales leaders that have been hired from the outside need to be sure to spend a lot of time "getting their hands dirty" to understand the sales process/objections/etc. We need more people with experience selling our product in those leadership roles to be able to lean on. I believe we need a better mix of leaders and sales people from the outside who have sold marketing products, not necessarily software, or even talent solutions. This will help give us a unique and much needed perspective on things.

Lots to be excited about at Glassdoor if executed properly!

"Best place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros – I have worked at 5 companies in my career; Glassdoor is clearly the best for multiple reasons.

1) Great culture and energy - the people are amazing!
    2) We are growing like crazy - fun and disruptive solution, people are passionate about Glassdoor
    3) I strongly believe we have a fantastic solution that is helping people connect with the right opportunities to improve their lives, as well as helping employers find the right people to build better companies
    4) Decent compensation/ equity
    5) No dress code!
    6) Access to execs - can make my voice be heard - I left a review that marketing wasn't communicating enough with sales, now marketing is doing a fantastic job of letting the sales team know what is going on with products and content - great improvement!
    7) Sausalito feels like vacation every day
    8) I don't feel unnecessary pressure to perform like I have felt at other companies - I will produce more because of this
    9) I feel appreciated when I perform!
    10) We are moving to a brand new office and will have lunch provided every day!
    11) Flexibility to work from home! This is crucial! I was given the ability to work from home a few days a week because of high performance - I probably would have burned out having to commute every day for 2-3 hours

Cons

There are a lot of changes with startups: shifting managers, accounts, processes, etc

Advice to Management

Increase in base salary would be nice, especially for high performers - it's expensive to live in the SF Bay Area, Fastrak for commuters! More extrinsic rewards, training on competitors, car and phone allowances

"Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far my experience with Glassdoor has lived up to and even exceeded my expectations. First I would like to review the culture. I love to come to work everyday. It is a culture that treats you like an adult. They expect you to come in and work hard because being a newer company we can have a direct impact on Glassdoor moving forward. But is very relaxed atmosphere as well. A break room with tons of food to snack on and breakfast is provided daily. Also there is a grill outside so you can bring in your own food and get to grilling for lunch. There is a lot of room for professional development and growth. Glassdoor provides a lot of transparency in the company, which is important because that is what we do for our career community. There is an open door policy where you can walk into any of the execs office and talk with them about pretty much anything. I also like that the company is really cohesive and there is a lot of collaboration across many departments. Everybody wants to see the company grow and become a market leader. There are no egos here which can be a problem with many start up companies. I would say Glassdoor has already been one of the most enjoyable experiences of my professional career. I can not wait to spend the rest of my career with this company.

Cons

With any newer company there are going to be processes and strategies that need to be figured out. But those pitfalls are already being addressed which just takes time and collaborate efforts among executives, directors, managers and employees. The company is doing a great job of taking feed back from employees and implementing it as needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the company culture remains as the company grows. This is what really makes the employees come in and work hard day in and day out.

"Amazing Future"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lucrative Sales Comp Plan
    Low Quotas
    Cool Team Members
    Approachable Executives
    Great Coaching from Managers
    Creative Freedom
    Beautiful Location
    Exciting Future
    High-Tech Office

Cons

This is tougher to sell than you think
    Company is only now starting to focus on client services. This is exciting, but long overdue.
    Things change frequently here. These changes include managers, comp plans, territories, products...etc. You need to be flexible or you will get frustrated.

"Great Opportunity, Exciting New Product, Trailblazing Within The Industry"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Sausalito, CA

Pros

Selling a product that you can really get behind and believe in.
    Having an opportunity to really impact our space with something innovative.
    Start Up environment where your contribution really matters.
    Opportunity to help people find good jobs and employers find good people.
    Great company activities and recognition for job well done.

Cons

Processes not as clearly defined (It's a start-up).
    Constant changes to seating, processes (It's a start-up).
    Who get's what accounts aren't as clearly defined as they could be.
    It is a grind. If you aren't ready to work hard do not apply.

Advice to Management

The praise for a job well done never get's old. Continue to give praise to those that do well. For those that don't come from this space provide many opportunities for more training.