Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Glassdoor CEO Robert Hohman
Robert Hohman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • One of my favorite parts about Glassdoor is our employer's emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• We have options for work from home and flexible hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Common high growth company growing pains - often short staffed, requiring constant prioritization (often times, valuable things lose out) (in 32 reviews)

• Let's be honest, at most Saas companies in the bay area 30-40% of the sales org hits their quotas (in 19 reviews)

"Amazing team and great engineering culture"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great engineering talent, always willing to help and easy to collaborate with
    - Smart and hard working people all around
    - Onsite lunches everyday, beautiful office location if you're in the north bay or SF

Cons

- Commute can be expensive if you're living in the city especially GG bridge toll i.e. 6.5$ everyday, company should really reimburse this for the folks who come from SF

Jul 31, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Thanks for sharing a review, and I’m happy to read that the smart and hardworking people around here inspire you, they do the same for me. Glad you’re on the team.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start-up enthusiasm in the people, great technology stack, agile, laid-back work culture, appreciates your talent very well.

Cons

Not many cons except office is still small, and there are not enough meeting room on the site. No food catering for SF office, but it works well so you get to try all different restaurants next door in downtown.

Jul 13, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for being part of the team that created the SF office. I hear you on the conference rooms. We'll look at that as we explore growing the people there.

"Good environment for work, could be better"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great knowledgeable engineers to work with
    - Good for career growth
    - Good work/life balance
    - Great recreational activities

Cons

- Getting kudos from leads is very difficult
    - Getting approval of doing something new/different takes a huge effort
    - Moving across teams is difficult

May 20, 2017 – SVP Engineering, CTO

I agree, the engineers here really are great and they’re some of the most knowledgeable I’ve ever worked with. I can do a better job of saying that more often, and encouraging our leaders to do the... More

"Left with mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

- Glassdoor is a good place to work. They have their issues but the important thing is the senior leadership (CEO) is very open and willing to change the direction of the product/company if it comes to that. Robert's office is always open and you can ask him questions (anonymously, if you prefer) during company huddles.

- Nothing is set on stone - things could change. Glassdoor as a company improves upon their product tremendously. They run A/B tests and are willing to pivot their product direction if necessary. I believe that's very important for a growing company to succeed.

- Coworkers. They are all amazing bunch of people. I have made some good friends while working there.

- Company offers tons of perks - gym with shower, lunch, snacks, $50 mobile phone bill credit, game room, free or close to free health insurance etc.

- Dog friendly.

Cons

- When I first joined Glassdoor it was the best company I ever worked for. The team was small and we were moving fast but without compromising in quality (i.e by shifting the deadline by a day or two if the product wasn't quite ready). As the company grew, stories became open ended and deadlines became almost impossible to shift which forced us to compromise in quality. There were at least three instances I could recall in the past year where we were given a hard deadline but without ironing out the details of the story or having final designs. In all three of those cases, we either didn't end up using that product or shifted the deadline so we could roll it out all together with rest of the teams.

- Most of us are underpaid. This became clear when we launched Know Your Worth Tool. A former colleague of mine who left Glassdoor had told me about the 30% salary increase he/she got at their new place.

- My new manager was micromanaging the team. He/she always wanted to know what we were working on (even though he/she was there for the daily standup). My manager would listen in to our conversation with fellow colleagues and provide unsolicited opinion.

Advice to Management

- Not an advice but I'm disappointed with our HR personnel who handled my departure. He/she was supposed to email me some documents to my personal email and he/she never did. While I was still working at Glassdoor I had two former colleagues contacting me to get info from HR because they apparently never replied to their requests. I guess they don't care about their former employees.

Apr 11, 2017 – CHRO

I’m glad to hear that Glassdoor was a fit for you for so long and we’re sorry to see you go. I take your feedback quite seriously and assure you we care deeply about our employees, current, former... More

"Fun to Work"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch, Good engineering company. Believes in Engineers. Close to city but not in city. Talented co-workers.

Cons

Did not find very innovative, Engineering job is challenging but not very challenging. You learn new things but after a time it just remain the same learning curve becomes flat.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many pros: catered lunch, gym (small one though), waterfront views, free parking

Cons

Salaries are much less than the average for the area, no 401k matching, mid-level managers are inexperienced, very little equity is offered to the key contributors

Advice to Management

Many people are unhappy with their salaries. Not without reason. Revisit the salary gap.

"Great Start!!"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review is after my first month at GD.

- Great people
    - Smart coworkers
    - Great learning experience
    - I have got to do meaningful contribution in my first week itself.

Cons

- Commute is long. But its not so much of a problem for me.
    - Still need to improve some aspects of continuous integration and delivery. But the plans are in place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I believe in the mission for GD but I wish that our culture always remains the same

Aug 18, 2015 – SVP Engineering, CTO

Definitely agree we need to continue to make progress on our continuous integration solution. Hopefully even in the time since you joined you have seen significant progress. But we will keep pushing.

"Best company"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing culture. The overall energy in the company is encouraging, uplifting and rewarding. Left alone the amazing office, game room, gym, food, yoga, poker nights and all those perks. I love working here. Best company I worked at.

Cons

Nothing comes in mind so I guess none so far

Advice to Management

Keep the unique culture that you've created. It's priceless.

"Great opportunity"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work , very friendly people.
    Lot of potential growth.
    They have a great onboarding process for new employees.

Cons

Its in the Mill Valley which is not very easy to commute via public transport.

"A company is just a collection of idea and people"

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Glassdoor only for 6 months now. From the moment I interviewed, to this very moment, I have been thrilled to be here. Glassdoor has a collection of wonderful people with wonderful ideas. Our goal is to help people to find the job they love, and as work is such a critical part of our lives, it is so important to be in an environment you love. I love being at Glassdoor. I have worked in many places over the years. I feel like I am home now with Glassdoor.

Cons

Every company has cons, we live in an imperfect world. Nothing of significance here.