Glatfelter Insurance Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Education Specialist"

Current Employee - Director of VFIS Training Programs in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Director of VFIS Training Programs in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to truly make a difference in the Emergency Services Industry

Cons

Current location requires a long commute.

Advice to Management

Reserved for internal improvement

2. "A good company with excellent benefits and pay for the area. Very formal dress required."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I have been working at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing and excellent retirement program. On site gym and personal trainers. On site bistro and quarterly company functions.

Cons

Very formal dress required, very unbending work hours. Not a competitive pay in the relm of insurance.

Advice to Management

More accommodating work hours and more transparency would be of the greatest benefit.

"Great benefits...if you are older and not single"

I have been working at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Some of the managers are attempting to change the stiffness of the company.

Cons

Everyone says it's like a family there, but it isn't. Leadership doesn't communicate their plans with themselves, let alone with the rest of the company and all the associates feel the backlash of it. This company is extremely resistant to change and is extremely old school. Women, fairly recently, were allowed to wear pants and weren't required to wear pantyhose. The "dress code" is completely subjected and there are numerous associates that spend most of their days tattling on others about an ankle bone showing or someone not wearing a jacket. As a professional, it is extremely difficult to do my job when there are so many hoops to jump through and road blocks to overcome. I've literally had people say to me, "We aren't going to change because this is the way we have always done it." It's 2018. Time to grow and evolve. The benefits are great for families or older people, but the salaries are lower because of the "great benefits." So, those with college debt may have some trouble making ends meet, especially with an entry level position.

Advice to Management

As an ESOP company, the associate's retirement depends upon it doing well. However, it is not being innovative enough and it's pricing/application process is not the best. This will turn more clients away in our digital, fast-paced world. There needs to be an evolution of the entire company culture.

4. "Good Company"

I worked at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Great culture with excellent benefits

Cons

Claims Departments like to micromanage

5. "Above Average"

I have been working at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are above average, and the amenities are a nice bonus. The people are all mostly friendly.

Cons

Very old-fashioned in attire and work schedule. Not very flexible in that regard.

Advice to Management

Explore things like business casual Fridays and increased teleworking.

6. "Senior Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Houston, TX

I worked at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ESOP company and good pension plan. Also, good health care benefits

Cons

WE were a satellite office purchased 12/11, and it was like the home office in York never quite accepted us. Management kept an arm's length away for lower level employees and were not approachable. Management did not want to hear from us what had worked for us for over 20 years - they came into the deal believing they had all the answers, although they had never dealt in this class of business before.

Advice to Management

Be more open and accepting of suggestions from employees.

"Glatfelter working environment"

I worked at Glatfelter Insurance Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits plans available to all. Flexible working hours. Up to date computers and systems. Pension plan, ESOP and low deductible health plan.

Cons

Very old school. Suits and jacket dress code. Resistant to changes and new ideas as many employees have been there for more than 30 years and want to continue to use same old processes.

Advice to Management

When you hire new people, let them use some of their ideas. Everything doesn't have to be the same way it has always been. Dress code is archaic in this business casual world.

8. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I worked at Glatfelter Insurance Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

ESOP company, which drives associates to give there all to go above and beyond expectations. Was vote "Best Place to Work" many times and made #1 twice.

Cons

Annual reviews weren't completed in a timely manner which didn't reflect the efforts associates put forth.

9. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, PA

I worked at Glatfelter Insurance Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great ESOP and profit-sharing. Good benefits. Great educational atmosphere (completed 4 designations in four years). Overall, I think there is a good atmosphere - but a few managers are allowed to ruin individual departments with no repercussions.

Cons

"We've always done it this way" mentality from some managers. Some managers have no leadership experience, despite a long tenure with the company - and it shows. I think these are the exception overall, but I saw more and more of this in recent years. It's also shown in how the company rates as a PA Best Employer survey in recent years (from the top several years in a row to a drastic drop). Internal promotion opportunities are good, but overall the average age of employees (and senior leadership) is on the older side and there aren't many people in the under 35 age range. Succession planning isn't clear and there could be problems down the road. Another effect of older leadership is a poor recognition of generational differences. I grew up with parents who worked 60 hours on a good week; it's not the work/life balance I want.

Advice to Management

Rein in rouge managers. You have absolute bullies amongst the ranks. It's no secret who these people are. Train managers better. Use experienced managers as mentors. There is so much knowledge and talent that needs to be shared before senior leadership retires.

10. "Very good benefits and lots of social activities"

Pros

The benefits are great and the company values people. High moral and ethical standards.

Cons

Mgt at divisions can be short sighted and little support for some job functions. IT issues and equipment are difficult to work with

Advice to Management

Survey associates and solicit feedback to see how things are in some areas.