GlaxoSmithKline Business Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Emma Walmsley

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pitts, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent work life balance, great compensation, and top notch talent.

Cons

Upper Management tended to micro manage a bit too much.

Advice to Management

Let your Associates be leaders through your example not your direct involvement.

GlaxoSmithKline2017-01-22
  2. "Getting less bureaucratic but very top heavy"

Current Employee - SAP Business Analyst in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Global reach, diverse, true focus on helping patients

Cons

Red tape, lack of career development

Advice to Management

Focus more on employees who want to stretch and try new things instead of always hiring from the outsider people who look good on paper but don’t have company-specific knowledge.

GlaxoSmithKline2018-07-01

"GSK has such a positive environment!"

Current Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline for less than a year

Pros

People are great. They cultivate a culture of positivity and support. The office itself is beautiful. Lots of little perks, like free entry to the Philly Art Museum!

Cons

I don't think there are any, from my perspective. I genuinely love it here. I wish I could keep working for my current boss, who is amazing, instead of for her replacement, who is just not comparable in my opinion. In general though everyone is super smart and pleasant.

Advice to Management

Look at people's strengths, and if they don't match up with their current role, help them move to a better one. My new manager is a nice guy but a poor fit for his new role. He seems to be trying to overcompensate by micromanaging me to establish dominance and superiority. His attitude is starting to negatively affect my level of motivation and my productivity at work. I hope he learns to adapt. Otherwise I might... quit.

GlaxoSmithKline2017-01-06
  4. "Good work/life balance"

Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Nice people.

Cons

Company began downsizing in 2015.

GlaxoSmithKline2016-04-01

"Business Analyst"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline for more than a year

Pros

Position was flexible and enjoyed my co-workers

Cons

This contract the company always seemed in a state of flux w/ constant re-structuring. They don't seem to have a long term plan, very reactionary. Too bad, this USED to be a company that had a lot of loyalty because the company seemed to value their employees. Current review process in non-sales environment pits employees against one another.

GlaxoSmithKline2015-11-30
  6. "good"

Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline for more than a year

Pros

good working culture and people

Cons

do not see any con

Advice to Management

good

GlaxoSmithKline2015-08-21
  7. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in De Land, FL

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Challenging work independence to manage your own projects great people to work with, great benefits

Cons

Slow to promote often have to put up with mundane tasks Internal politics At times bureaucratic

GlaxoSmithKline2014-09-01
  8. "GSK is a great place to work"

Business Analyst in Phila, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

The company researches, develops and delivers medicines to patients around the world. Great benefits and one of the few big pharma companies that seems to be in the right direction while the industry faces major change.

Cons

As is the case with any large corporation, it can be easy to get lost. Company is undergoing significant change.

Advice to Management

We are doing a great job adapting to the changing external environments (regulatory, heath policy, globalization), but there are also risks of turning employees off with so many changes over a short time.

GlaxoSmithKline2009-08-16

"A insider's view of GlaxoSmithKline from one who has worked in several departments"

Business Analyst

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

In the IT sector, the benefits and pay at GSK are above the industry for people coming out of college and contractors. They advocate a work-life balance and encourage people to look after their health in addition to your performance. The people who work there are quite experienced and look out for one another.

Cons

GSK is a huge company with many departments so the bureaucracy can neutralize new ideas. Each department has its own unique culture depending on the management so I've seen people who feel completely open and able to bring themselves to work while other departments, it can be quite stifling. Pay and bonus is kept very secretive despite the move towards transparency. At times, it feels like the bonus and... pay is more based on how long you've been at GSK and less based on business performance. Recruitment tends to favor applicants with a pharmaceutical background. Unfortunately, that leads to the same type of thinking and ideas. New ideas are rarely introduced because if they fail, the bonus will also be affected. The company is very risk adverse (rightfully so in certain areas because of regulatory reasons) but it spills over into areas that need not necessarily so.

Advice to Management

Empowerment needs to be demonstrated through ALL levels. The upper management may understand the roadmap and the strategies. The early adopters (usually at the analyst level) also are quick to adapt to new ways of working. But the managers in the middle who the early adopters work with every day, are sometimes not as quick to change and can dampen the spirit of change.

GlaxoSmithKline2009-02-13

"Beware of GSK as an employer right now"

Business Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline

Pros

They provide great benefits. There are many different areas of the company to work in and move too if you aren't satisfied with your current position. It was a great place to learn different areas of the pharmaceutical business from marketing, product development to manufacturing. The former Glaxo facilities were nice places to work while the former Burroughs buildings were very old.

Cons

The company is going through major restructuring (ie downsizing). They tend to promote people who are good at doing the work to be the manager of the department. Those individuals tend to be inadequate managers. They used to have a technical track to allow individual contributers to be promoted and move ahead, however, it was dissolved.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and value their opinions. Go back to the days when employees were one of the important aspects of the business.

GlaxoSmithKline2008-09-07