GlaxoSmithKline Reviews in King of Prussia, PA | Glassdoor

GlaxoSmithKline Chief Executive Officer Emma Walmsley
Emma Walmsley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "IT Service Development Manager"

Former Employee - IT Service Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - IT Service Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally good benefits, 401K, Pension, paid time off, competitive pay. Most people are fun to work with. People who care about patients' health and finding cures.

Depending on your manager, one may exercise flexible work hours (i.e. work from home).

Cons

Financially driven company. They claim "patients first", but it's clearly Shareholders first, patients second, employees last. All the core services, especially IT, is always targeted for reductions. Then they take the work load and spread it across those who remain.

Very little work-life balance. Told "not to work so hard", but then criticized for not delivering on time. If you put in the hours to deliver successfully and on time, told you have done a good job, but then criticized that you put too many hours/have time management issues. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

IT leadership is thankless. It's not about what what accomplishments you had, it about what you can do for me now.

There is no development path. They continue to come up with new schemes to make you think you have a chance like develop yourself and "getting out of your comfort zone", but the reality is no one will spend the time to give you a role that is out of your zone because it's more work for them.

They continue to move jobs in the US and some UK to lower cost countries (Poland, Costa Rica, Malaysia). They are downgrading positions from Director to Manager. They are posting new "Manager level" positions at a lower band so they don't have to provide higher bonus % and shares of stock, yet it's the same responsibility as the Manager band that does receive those incentives. Very shady practices. All about the bottomline and not quality of work.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Acknowledge your employees for the good that they do. If you want employees to get out of their comfort zone, then you must also 'force' hiring managers to bring in employees from other disciplines. Perhaps implement a true job swap program. Don't talk the talk, show that you can walk the walk.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Workplace, Good people to work with

Cons

Management is not good at communication

"Senior director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate people, fair compensation, good benefits

Cons

Lots of changes throughout the organization on a relatively frequent basis so it's difficult to see one plan become embedded and bear fruit.

Advice to Management

Change is necessary but monitor and evaluate changes before changing direction yet again.

"Average"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at the company for 3 years and the best thing about the job is the people that I work with on a daily basis. I work with a lot of great people who are smart and talented. There appears to be opportunity for development and movement into other roles. There is pretty good work/life balance.

Cons

Boy's club atmosphere (at least in my department), and difficult to get promoted if you don't have a PhD or a chemical engineering degree. Upper management is dysfunctional and some are completely out of touch with how the work actually gets done. Communication and teamwork between departments needs improvement. I feel that the company has gotten too big to be efficient.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight managers who are driving people from the company.

5. "Science Intern Co-op"

Current Intern - Science Intern in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Intern - Science Intern in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going and relaxed work environment. People above me always willing to answer questions and teach me about anything I need to know.

Cons

Could definitely get paid more.
    Can have more of a structured intern program.
    Currently in a hiring freeze so feels like a dead end job.

Advice to Management

Probably be best to set up a more structured intern program and to have some help with networking getting a job at the company if your department is in hiring freeze.

"Regulatory Affairs Associate"

Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Commute distance, Able to work at home when needed.

Cons

Pay is low, no benefits as a contractor

7. "internship experience"

Current Employee - Intern in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

work-life balance is quite good

Cons

not open-minded, Micromanagement, slow for promotion

8. "Senior Scientific Investigator, perspective of a scientist."

Former Employee - Senior Scientific Investigator in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientific Investigator in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Excellent benefits. Great to work in lab if you get the chance. Many good coworkers to collaborate with. EXCELLENT associates-very talented and independent. Working with them is more of a collaboration than a supervisor-supervisee relationship. In fact, they are more fun and worthwhile to interact with than most peers.

Cons

Management is completely untrained, both with respect to running a research program and with respect to working with others. People are promoted into management positions based on ambition rather than ability. The more of a steamroller you are the better.
    There is no training available to scientists with respect to managing and interacting with people (and we are scientists-'nuf said), and to rely on management that also has no people skills is a mistake. I was having trouble with a report once and my "pep talk" meeting with her was absolutely disastrous. I handled it very poorly, and could have used a little coaching. Additionally, managers are completely unable to run meetings, allowing some people to turn a 5 minute update into a 30 minute dissertation. That turns a 1 hour meeting into a 2 1/2 hour waste of an afternoon.
    I also wonder if there isn't a little seniority discrimination or "problem dumping" going on. During one of our department downsizings, I was chosen to be one of people who needed to find another position within the company. I was having some serious personal problems at the time, and was also one of the highest paid non-managers. In the nine years I had spent in that department, I had received mostly excellent reviews and several awards (including a very rarely given gold award). Admittedly I was struggling at the time I was selected to go elsewhere, but rather than try to help me and guide me through my troubles, the director chose to dump me instead. So honestly I can only suspect that the dumping came from wanting to make me someone else's problem or to get rid of one of the highest paid scientists.

Advice to Management

Get your management-track people (especially, but maybe include all people who supervise) some training on how to coach and interact with reports. Run meetings more efficiently, and have your attendees walk away knowing exactly what the forward plan is.

9. "Great name to work for, but there are some concerns."

Current Employee - HCP Data Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - HCP Data Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Most employees are assigned to work at one of GSK's gorgeous campuses in King of Prussia, PA
    -Professional mentality.
    -Staff is friendly.
    -Overtime is not really encouraged; 40 hour work week.
    -Great Industry.

Cons

-The Vice President of EFF (who is also the manager that data analysts report to daily) lives off of micromanaging and is paranoid most of the time.
    -Don't be deceived by the friendly environment because EFF can be political.
    -External parties complain about the VP in public, which makes the employee second guess the manager.
    -No Benefits.

Advice to Management

-Need to realize that the VP's micromanaging is extremely unhealthy.
    -Should be open to more of the employee's concerns before they find a better oppurtunity with benefits.

10. "Not your average 9-5 job"

Current Contractor - Bench Scientist Scientist I in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Contractor - Bench Scientist Scientist I in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Associates are really nice and helpful at times. There is a flexible schedule where work can work around your life which is nice if you have personal appointments.

Cons

Working over the normal 40 hours a week. Not enough direction from management as to the direction the department is taking. Short staff in the laboratory. There seems to be an air of just hiring a lot of CROs and not actual permanent workers. There isn't a lot of opportunities to grow in this department.

Advice to Management

Be better with communication! Cannot express this enough. Information from higher management doesn't always assimilate down to lab workers. Need more current and constructive feedback.

Showing 15 of 2,827 reviews