GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 79 reviews

2.9
GlaxoSmithKline CEO Emma Walmsley
Emma Walmsley
  1. "Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. I represented drugs that truly made a difference in patient outcomes, and therefore it was easy to passionate about my job. Great manager. Training was not easy. However, I was last employed 13 years ago. GD doesn't offer ability to note that above. Before being hired, I was given a pharmacology book on a Friday, and had to take a 100 question multiple choice test the following... Monday - before I was hired. I then had a month of home study for each product, each month being followed by a trip to Orlando to take a test. All of that was followed by 3 weeks of intense sales training in the home office. I hear the training is not as intense any longer, that there may be a few trips to home office for a period of a few days at a time. Some of it is done online now. I would love to return to GSK!

Cons

My only real complaint is that I was due an earned promotion before I went out on maternity leave. I was told they'd just process it while I was out. Turns out I had a child born with a birth defect, and was unable to return at that time. So now my resume doesn't reflect that promotion.

Advice to Management

Don't hold out on promotions that have been earned!! Otherwise, I really did love everything about working for GSK!

GlaxoSmithKline2018-07-28

"Stay away from GSK"

Former Employee - Senior Executive Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall decent benefits, which includes health, dental insurance, life insurance, disability and salary.

Cons

When you turn 50 years old at GSK, the main objective from management is to harass you and discriminate against you.

Advice to Management

I don’t have any advice for management because they don’t care to keep their most tenured and experienced sales representatives. Your are destroying a company that once upon a time, sales representatives aspired to work for Glaxo.

GlaxoSmithKline2019-08-20

GlaxoSmithKline Response

August 21, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide details regarding your experience. GSK reaffirms its commitment to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, national ...

3. "Pharmaceutical sales representative"

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good medical benefits Good retirement benefits

Cons

Struggling pipeline of products No clear vision for the future Leadership insufficiencies

GlaxoSmithKline2019-01-07

"exec sales rep"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

well positioned products with good formulary coverage

Cons

not paid directly for performance

GlaxoSmithKline2018-09-20

"Senior pharmaceutical rep"

Former Employee - Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Scranton, PA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are amazing. Your coworkers become family

Cons

If you have a problem with your manager they will take their side anytime even though they have evidence that they are wrong you are disposable

Advice to Management

When a rep tells you that their manager has behaved inappropriately please believe them

GlaxoSmithKline2017-12-16
  6. "Pharmaceutical Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products and great benefits. The people that work for GSK are very willing to help you when you are interested in developing and growing your career.

Cons

Very demanding schedule, not much work life balance. Lots of changes in strategy so territory and customers are always changing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales people for strategy ideas, they are in front of the customer everyday

GlaxoSmithKline2017-12-08
  7. "Great company to work in."

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits ,salary ,many career opportunities.

Cons

no real cons. Overall having a great experience working for GSK

GlaxoSmithKline2017-10-12

"One of the most inovative employers ever"

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Layton, UT

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline for more than 10 years

Pros

Work with the brightest minds and the most compassionate people in combination with the amazing people that serve in the medical field. There were always new opportunities to educate and help providers give the best care and medications possible. We really saved lives everyday!

Cons

Unfortuntely the increased demand for lower cost health care and the push to use more and more generics has limted the access to providers that were once open to the latest information. It is now filtered through various medical formularies that take from the physician the "art of practicing medicine". These are among the greatest minds ever on the earth and they have to limit their gift to fit in an ever... shrinking box of managed care rules and regulations. Society as a whole suffers this great loss!

Advice to Management

Never forget that the feet on the street are your greatest tool. They need to be enpowered to change the medical world and break open the possibilities that modern medicine can provide. Yes there is a need to stay profitable but perhaps a combined effort including the entire medical community striving to make health care a win for everyone who cares to place people first and profit second.

GlaxoSmithKline2017-08-26

"Used to be great, but culture has soured and morale is low"

Former Employee - Senior Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of my co-workers were top-notch

Cons

Tout an environment of transparency, but are rarely transparent. Benefits were starting to slide the last few years and new policies have been implemented to penny and dime employees on expense reports (For example: We were not allowed to expense a coffee at the airport when traveling to a company meeting. Also not allowed to expense lunch on a day we travelled to a meeting bc one was served at the hotel even though... our flight was such that we didn't arrive until AFTER the lunch buffet closed. We are expected to have wifi at home, but company decided it would no longer contribute.) Little to no opportunity to advance as last two Primary Care reorganizations have involved manager layoffs.

Advice to Management

Needs to be a major house cleaning in terms of middle management...from the FLLs all the way up. The truly gifted leaders that people want to work for, who are inspiring, transparent, vulnerable and real, are few and far between (as opposed to in years past when GSK had many of them!!) and the majority of the current leadership team has either proven to be untrustworthy or gives the impression that they are... untrustworthy. They do not walk the walk and mean and do what they say they will. Very disappointing.

GlaxoSmithKline2017-06-26

"Pharmaceutical Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at GlaxoSmithKline full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay, some great colleagues, flexible schedule when necessary, continual training, great benefits package, decent customer spending account, territory size was manageable

Cons

Unnecessary stress, lots of box checking, performance review all based on manger's opinions not sales, unrealistic sales expectations, many no-see docs that are expected to be called on

GlaxoSmithKline2017-05-18