GlaxoSmithKline Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

GlaxoSmithKline US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Transparency and empowerment are just words in the dictionary"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The beneifts at GSK are a great incentive. I have yet to see a comparable benefits package from anyone in a pharmaceutical organization. The employee health management is incredible. There are many benefits available to GSK employees that assist in the work and personal life balance.

In most organizations, the dust has settled with re-organizations due to the current economic climate. For the organizations that have been addressed, employees understand their job objectives and the opportunity for advancement is within reach for the employees putting out the extra effort.

GSK also has incredible communication from Senior management to worker bee. Communications are constantly being distributed to employees regarding pipeline drugs and opportunities in the community.

Cons

Currently, there is a lot of bureaucracy at GSK. I would say this is specific to IT, but I hear this is an issue throughout all organizations. Our former CEO expressed how much he disliked all the barriers employees have to complete their tasks. A lot of legwork was performed to remedy this, and I feel the changing of Sr. Management has caused employees to feel less empowered. The bureaucracy still exists and in 11 years now, it has never been more visible.

Another downside would be the constant outsourcing efforts. Granted, there is a obligation to stockholders to maximize their investments. The effect that outsourcing has on employee performance and morale is off the chart. The environment used to be a family environment. It feels like a very selfish environment now.

Advice to Management

There is a huge promotion by the Sr Mgmt team for empowerment. My only comment would be to practice what you preach. The decisions that are made up above are not transparent as they are promoted, and employees for the most part still feel powerless in decision-making.

2. "Good place to work."

Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Quality Specialist in Memphis, TN

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive salaries, and name recognition. They probably had the best benefits package of any employer I've worked for to date. Vacation time was good, and the year end shut down around the holidays was great. It's the second largest company in the industry, and I was proud to say that I worked for this company. If you are willing to relocate, the career opportunities are endless.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management downward. At my particular site, there was the constant threat of the facility closing. It was an older facility and not quite up to date in many ways as some of the other manufacturing sites.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and communicate openly with them.

"Work for a good manager and life will be great at GSK"

Current Employee - Scientific Communications Director in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

high salary, generous benefits, many days of vacation, generous severance package

Cons

in some management situations you can't take advantage of work/life balance benefits, lack of leadership in mid-level management, the constant fear of job cuts as this industry continues to downsize

Advice to Management

listen to the new CEO Andrew Witty

4. "GSK will weather the current storm well"

Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Innovation, career opportinities within the company, sense of purpose, pride in products, working with very smart and passionate people, compensation and benefit package is hard to beat.

Cons

Current economic climate and change in leadership resulting in many reoganizations, job insecurity. The comapany is so large that there are many bureaucratic processes and effective communication is difficult. Culture does not reward honesty and open communication. Maintaining 2 US headquarters and dual leadership in many areas did not allow the creation of a single corporate culture in the US.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from your employees. Ask for and act on honest feedback on how to improve the business. The people working at the 5 foot level know what is going on in their area of expertise. The company culture supports discussing the "good" and not the "bad" or "ugly."

"GSK - great job with little security"

Current Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Richmond, VA

Pros

I still feel that GSK offers the best products in their respected classes, and that makes it easy to sell a product and be proud and able to sleep at night. I never feel like I am persuading a doctor to do something that is not the best possible treatment. Aside from products, the health benefits are great, and you start with 3 weeks vacation plus year end shut down.

Cons

I never feel like my job is safe. Layoffs two years in a row, and there was very little correlation to success and to those who were let go.

Advice to Management

There are a million companies to work for in this industry. Keep the pay competitive and make me proud to work for GSK.

6. "Great place to work if you want a big pharma company."

Current Employee - Executive Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Great pipeline of products and versatile portfolio of products. If you want to move into a specialty sales force position, now is the time. The company is in transition but is trying to be more specialized. They are always looking for talented, hard working sales reps with proven sales success.

Cons

Very big pharma. Not a lot of room to manage your territory as you see fit. Very little say into speakers or speaking opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and accepting of ideas

7. "Good starter job, improvement needed with career advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

GSK has a good reputation among the healthcare community. Their products are often best-in-class in many therapeutic areas. Personally, I did quite well working as a executive sales rep. finishing in the top 1% for performance three consecutive years in the Phoenix area.

The compensation and expectations were fair.

Cons

The company did nothing to retain my services when a personal crisis forced me to move back East. This experience really soured my image of the company and left me to believe that they do not value the needs of their employees despite what I had done for the company.

Also, the company needs to improve the process for applying for career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Construct an easy to follow protocol for career advancement

8. "GSK is a good place to work, but there is always room for improvement"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The company offers an excellent benefits package and work life balance, good opportunities for training. The company spends a lot of time and effort on maximizing the health and wellbeing of its employees. We have reimbursement for healthcare expenses and compensation for completing an annual health risk assessment questionnaire. We frequently are offered training sessions on healthcare topics. We have a generous amount of time off, and the retirment savings plan and medical, dental and vision care can't be beat.

Cons

our site keeps losing employees but rarely replaces them, which puts a heavy burden on the employees at the company.

Advice to Management

spend more time and effort on developing and promoting employees with potential. Senior management has a tendency to stereotype associates which prevents them from advancing within the company. We have also had some unfair or dubious hiring practices.

9. "it is a different company now with the restructuring"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA

Pros

it's a large and respected company

Cons

smithkline is running the company

Advice to Management

keep your people where they are most productive

10. "Family-oriented, but not a satisfying place for a career"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst - IT in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst - IT in Durham, NC

Pros

GSK has a great work-life balance. They have a shorter work week than most--never more than 40 hours. The facilities are great and they are very flexible with time off. RTP is now the US HQ so there is great opportunity to move up without having to relocate.

Cons

Communication in IT is poor. There is very little sharing of information or goals across divisions. The company seems to be in contious lay-off mode which is destructive to employee morale. GW was a good co, but SmithKline has added a level of bureacracy that gets in the way of delivering to the business. The overall "I'd rather not" attitude toward delivery and taking on tough projects is difficult for anyone interested in being productive.

Advice to Management

more transparency; real goals for IT

Showing 30 of 2,971 reviews