Gleim Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Irvin N Gleim

1. "Good working experience"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Gleim Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, working environment is good. Salary is not high but enough to live in Gainesville. Overall is a very good company.

Cons

Everyday work is a little bit boring. Sometimes instructions are not clear. Customer service is kind of annoying, but managers will help with you.

Advice to Management

Accounting part-time workers are a little bit overstaffed. Review process is redundant, some reviews process may be eliminated or reduced.

2. "Great for students"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

Pros

Flexible program very convenient for students

Cons

Profit sharing only for full time employees.

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - IT Management in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Management in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Gleim Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for both entry level employees looking to get started in a career as well as established professionals interested in joining a stable, growing company. You will have an opportunity to gain experience and exposure in many areas. It is a family run company and you will have an opportunity to work directly with decision makers. You will be able to see how your efforts directly impacts clients all over the world by helping them meet their professional goals. It is both a student and family friendly workplace. Communication is required but flexibility will be provided with schedules and time off. They have several nice perks. They provide coffee, tea, soda, pretzels, popcorn, etc. They have a monthly "cake day" celebration for birthdays. There is a annual holiday party. But the most significant benefit is the SEP contribution which is truly amazing (up to 15% of annual income for qualified employees). Advancements are entirely merit based.

Cons

This is not the work place for those looking for a position with a lot of down time. It is a production oriented environment and you will be busy the entire time you are working. You should be prepared to work hard and learn a lot. This is a company that has been creating software for over 20 years. This means that there are several areas of code that are legacy and have to be maintained. However, there are also lots of projects using new technology and they are upgrading the technology infrastructure. Certain types of positions (ie, software developers) can be isolating, but you will be given opportunities to interact with your team lead, mentors, and participate in continuing education meetings.

Advice to Management

Continue with the things that really make this a special workplace -- genuinely caring about employees and customers, being innovators, and looking for ways to learn from mistakes and get better all the time.

5. "Great place to get your footing"

I have been working at Gleim Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gleim is a family owned company and a good place to start early in your career when you don't have a ton of work experience under your belt. If you're a hard worker the pay is very competitive too, which is nice.

Most people have a good sense of humor and I enjoy working with my co-workers. The atmosphere is casual and management is flexible with hours and dress-code.

There's a lot of projects to work on, for me I'm always pretty busy. There's a lot of different types of projects as well; like I work on print stuff, packaging, fliers, t-shirts, books but then also webpages, emails and web ads. There's lots of variety which I like so my work doesn't get stale.

They also do fun extra things each month like give the company a cake. They also have a Halloween costume contest, a Thanksgiving potluck, and a huge family-oriented Christmas party that's fun. It's a very diverse workplace too and a lot of people from different nationalities work there- which is pretty cool.

What they do best though is give you really great benefits like healthcare, paid-vacation and SEP IRA (after a couple years) which is basically amazing.

There's two kinds of people here, people that really love what they do and have worked here forever (like 10+ years easy) and people just starting off their professional career and move on after they get hired by larger companies.

Cons

-The building is older, but I have a lot of desk and shelf space, more than any other job I've had.

-It can be stressful at times with deadlines and the amount of work, but I've never had a job that's NOT stressful sometimes, it's just the nature of my line of work.

Advice to Management

Part of my job too is educating upper management about my processes and what I am doing, because sometimes they'll have a hard time differentiating what is easy/fast and harder/slower to accomplish in terms of a project. They're very open to it especially if it makes communication easier and I hope they continue to keep an open mind.

6. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Gleim Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Gleim provides a lot of opportunities to gain experience. It is a great place to start and the motto for employees leaving is "onwards and upwards" showing that they know this is a smaller family business currently.

Cons

The work is varied and can be overwhelming if you are not self motivated with your work. It requires a lot of attention to minor details and flexibility with project priorities.

Advice to Management

Establish a more set line of communication to assist with priority assigning. Provide more support to new employees and create ways for more communication between employees as well.

7. "Great career starter"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gleim Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Gleim as a software developer for more than three years. This company does a fine job of hiring and training young developers in a production environment. They give you the time to learn at your own pace, and are generally accepting of unique schedules. You have control over your preferred IDE and can generally influence project directions with well timed and thought out suggestions.

Cons

Management can be overbearing. You will have a considerable learning curve as most of Gleims software is proprietary. You will need file many many status reports, updates, daily, weekly, and project based communications. Stagnation is prevalent among senior developers.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with each other better. It is very concerning for a developer to get conflicting projects, or to have a long term project cancelled due to poor decision making.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Gleim Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The managers are great and truly care about their employees.
    - The coworkers are very nice.
    - The projects are interesting.
    - You will get to learn a lot of new skills, and if you ever get stuck on anything everyone is very helpful.
    - Very nice benefits!
    - Great flexibility.
    - The company is always trying to improve.

Cons

None I can think of, except that we now have a new building and still didn't move there, and some desks are a bit old.

9. "Family Company"

Former Employee - Personal Counselor in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Counselor in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gleim Publications (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely review every one and open to providing resources for improvement. Responsive leadership. Reasonable pay if you take sales advice and apply. Weekly sales meeting to keep teams sharp.

Cons

There are only a very few molds/roles you can fit into and be good at.

10. "Good experience"

I have been working at Gleim Publications full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Flexible schedule. Has a laid back work environment. Staring salary is decent and overtime is almost always encouraged if you want it!

Cons

Too many hands in the pot, but that happens sometimes with a family-owned business. Some disorganization and disconnect between departments. Laid-back can sometimes be a bad thing.

11. "Not what was expected."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Gleim Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Free Soda.
    -Cake Day.
    -Some of the managers seem genuinely nice and care about your well being mentally.
    -Benefits.
    -Ability to learn on the job because you will have to handle things yourself. -Please read cons however.-

Cons

-Expect a report to be written for every task completed throughout the day and how long it took you to complete it.
    -Talking to developers feel like talking to robots. Its only about programming code or work. Doesn't anyone watch sports or tv in general? You will get bored quick and fast.
    -If new, expect a huge dictionary of a in-house wiki to be read as "training" and to be crammed in a week. There is no assistance in training nor is it interactive. Trainers only seems to care if you take too long to complete it.
    -Strict Clocking-in Policy.
    -Not a team-centric job. You will feel alone. Small cliques everywhere.
    -Constantly watched by managers or senior developers to see if you are working. For every second you are on the clock you are expected to be working. If you take too long to their standards, they will constantly pester you about it. Don't expect to go to the bathroom for longer than 3 minutes.
    -You are placed into small rooms with 2 or 3 other developers or people completely unrelated to your function. The noise is atrocious from the loud typing of others.
    -The computers and technology is old. It seemed they went out of their way to find anything free that they could find and customize for the company.
    -Learn PHP before getting here, it will save you some headache. That is all what they do here except some old software that will be obsolete that was made in Java.
    -Listen to the person that said "Don't come!" in their review. I wish I did.

Advice to Management

-Environment needs to be more team-centric. High Turn-over rate and people not accepting offers is because there is something wrong with how the company is run.
    -Stop caring so much about clocking in and sending in reports about every hour of the day of what you did and why you didn't finish something.
    -Have trainers that will do hands on assistance through the process. Its very nerve-wrecking to leave people to themselves to read a dictionary wikipedia site. Its a lot of information to pull in.