Glendale Elementary School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Joe Quintant

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work and co-workers"

I have been working at Glendale Elementary School District full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and setting

Cons

Pay not comparable to other districts.

2. "Very rewarding due to the staff at Desert Spirit that has helped me grow in my career."

Current Employee - SPED Educational Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - SPED Educational Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Glendale Elementary School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with good people who work as a team. Being able to have open door conversations with Lead Teacher to help improve work environment. Feeling appreciated on a daily basis. Being able to participate in mentoring sessions to further your knowledge and growth in your career.

Cons

Working with SPED students are challenging and sometimes you get injured bruises, scratched, kicked. Sometimes you have to potty train children who should have been before entering into the program especially children who are way over the age of pre-school. Salary is too low for what we do.

Advice to Management

I would like to say kindness and appreciation goes along way. When you see chaos be willing to jump in and help.

3. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Glendale Elementary School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The smiling faces of the students everyday.

Cons

Honestly, other than the students I would not work for this district.

4. "Chaos, low pay - BEWARE"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Glendale Elementary School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers were friendly thats about it

Cons

On average here you will work over 50 hours a week. This is because the school days are so extremely packed that the teacher basically doesn't get a prep period (40 minutes which by time you get the kids where they need to be its 30 minutes) a very short lunch (30 minutes but by time the aids come outside 20 minutes). You will have 3 duties at these schools,before school, lunch and after school duty. You have to come at least an hour before and stay at the very least an hour after school just to plan and prepare for your lessons. Not to mention that the classes are packed usually 30 students to a class and they aren't very well behaved kids. SO on average you will have 120 students to grade papers for. The grading system makes no sense. It is a 1-4 system instead of A-F. Tests are weighted the same as classwork and homework. The grading system is so arbitrary you have to determine what each grade would look like to you percentage wise. They tell you to try not to give 4's until last quarter but can't really explain the defined lines of the grading system. To top it all off the behavior system/disipline policy does not work with the kinds of students that they serve. They literally tell you that you should do absolutely everything in your power to get the child to behave before you send them out of the classroom and if you do so without having done at least 10 prior steps then they just send the kid back to class with no punishment. There is no ISS because they don't have teachers or people to do it. There is no detention unless you do it on your own time because again, they don't have enough people to do it. There is nothing to hold over the kids heads to get them to behave because they don't care, schools don't have a good discipline policy, and the parents are uninvolved. They also have an RTI period during the day that spans an hour, nothing in that period or class is graded so that kids just blow it off and goof around. These schools are a mess and need a ton of work. I left because I was dealing with a sever family emergency (father in a coma) when I went to tell admin why I hadn't been at my best, crying telling them how my dad ended up that way, I was told to do my job better and it would alleviate stress. Very cold response and no support for administration in that regard, so don't expect any sympathy for sever emotional trauma. Horrible experience. Beware.

OH P.S and something that made things worse is that they don't tell you that the Arizona state retirement system takes 11.5% of your salary. If you make the starting salary of 36,000 you will be making well under 1,000 dollars every two weeks after taxes and the retirement fund. If you manage to make 40,000 a year you will make very little over 1000 every two weeks. you will be looking at about 1050 paycheck every two weeks. Not enough to live off of. They pay you enough to barely pay your bills and work. You won't have any kind of other life.

Advice to Management

You overwork your teachers for low low pay fix it.

5. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Glendale Elementary School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engagement with diverse population coming various countries

Cons

Language barriers to connect with cultural

Advice to Management

Training for cultural competence

6. "Education"

I worked at Glendale Elementary School District full-time

Pros

Positive and helpful staff members! Everyone goes the extra mile to help mentor and guide one another.

Cons

Salary was constantly frozen while I was there. The district started hiring in new hires with less experience and giving them higher salaries which was insulting. Loyalty is not rewarded financially. Insurance for a single person is great but not affordable for spouse or family.

Advice to Management

Equal work for equal pay.

7. "Not the Best School District"

Current Employee - Library Media Clerk in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Library Media Clerk in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Glendale Elementary School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the kids enjoy reading. Helping a kids learn

Cons

Pay. Passive aggressive principal, no discipline with kids

8. "5th Grade Teacher"

Current Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - 5th Grade Teacher in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Glendale Elementary School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From what I've heard, teaching satisfaction varies from school to school based on the administration and school culture. I enjoy working at Melvin E. Sine School in Glendale, the staff is very supportive and there is a positive culture. I really enjoy working with the students.

Cons

The school I work at has its own challenges, with poverty, drug use, and violence in the surrounding area. Student behavior can be challenging.

Advice to Management

There could be more support for new teachers who are coming to the district in the middle of the school year.

9. "Teacher"

I have been working at Glendale Elementary School District full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment

Half day every Wednesday

Cons

Money is low compared to other districts

No substitutes

Poor P.D.

10. "Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Teacher in Glendale, AZ

Pros

Can not think of any other than the younger grades are nice.

Cons

Unorganized
    Time wasted in useless meetings
    Too much expected for low pay

Advice to Management

Get it together!
    Create a behavior policy.