Global Diving and Salvage Reviews | Glassdoor

Devon Grennan
  1. Leaders in the field

Former Employee - Diver/Tender in Houston, TX

I worked at Global Diving and Salvage full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Had the privilege to work on some of the most complex and dynamic salvage jobs around the world. It really help open doors down the road and I learned so much I couldve only learned on those type of jobs.

Cons

As any commercial diver your away from home 75% of the year. That just comes with the career though.

2. Worst Place I've Ever Worked

Former Employee - Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Global Diving and Salvage full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

There has to be a 5 word minimum here.

Cons

I agree with all the cons I've read on this site any several other sites that have ranked this company so slow. It's been ran into the ground, it has very poor management, does not have any leaders and I am glad I'm not there anymore.

Advice to Management

Like so many others have said, clean house and bring in real leaders and managers that know how to run a company. Especially a company in diving and in the maritime industry.

3. Good company for raw and valuable experience

I worked at Global Diving and Salvage

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere among the office workers. Most have a great sense of humor, direct access to senior management.

Cons

Communication from the top down needed to be improved.

Advice to Management

Continue improving communication and provide clear goals and metrics for success which others can be held accountable for.

GDS

Current Employee - Environmental Technician in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Global Diving and Salvage full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Periodic travel for work. -New and challenging jobs on occasion (salvages, fender installation, oil spill responses) -Excellent benefits -Provision of good PPE, company clothing, and work gear -Equipment

Cons

-On-call work and varying paychecks, 30-80 hour work weeks -Poor pay requires the crew to fight for hours and work almost every day to get by -Extremely high turnover rate -Work ethic often reflects being a dead end job -Shamed for attempting to take time off, due to management -Pay raises are not guaranteed -TOTAL headache of office keeping track of hours, and getting properly paid

Advice to Management

-Pay the crew properly and stop over working them. This a big reason for the turnover rate. -Management does not feel like part of a legitimate team. -Better communication

5. GDS

Current Employee - Office Manager in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Global Diving and Salvage full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Small and tight knit team. Excellent benefits, relatively consistent schedule.

Cons

Lack of official policies, and job structure. After hours and weekend work

Advice to Management

Create consistent expectations and policies for employees.

6. Run, don't walk

I worked at Global Diving and Salvage

Pros

No Pros to working here - cannot recoommend

Cons

Unprofessional staff, cut-throat mindset, uneducated

Advice to Management

drain the swamp

7. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Global Diving and Salvage full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great company culture, good management team, great CEO. Offers good benefits.

Cons

Communication from the top down could improve. However, the upper management does seem to care about employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Great job! Keep up the communication efforts.

8. Engaging work, never boring

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Global Diving and Salvage full-time

Pros

After reading some of the reviews, I wonder if I work in the same office. I have been here for a few years and witnessed the oil crash and the resulting belt tightening/layoffs, and while the outlook was pretty miserable then, management was able to turn things around and the forecast is great now. Pros: 1. Work is engaging 2. Management door is always open 3. Projects are fun 4. Project supervision is pretty laid...

Cons

Global grew organically from a small dive company, and as a result there are some minor (at least in my view) management issues. Explosive growth circa 2005-2010, resulted in some growing pains that are still being felt. Each division is run like its own business – this can be great if you like your division, but sometimes it doesn’t feel like everyone is on the same page. Overall, the cons for the working folk, in my...

Advice to Management

Thanks for getting us through the storm and back on direction. Keep up the good work.

9. Spill response pool is a pretty sweet deal

Current Employee - Spill Responder in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Global Diving and Salvage part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Paid training, paid physical, paid fun on the water.

Cons

Not enough money to mean much really -- but still worth it, i'd say.

10. Worst job ever (and I used to wash dishes)

Former Employee - Marine Environmental Technician in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Global Diving and Salvage full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Working to keep the environment clean. - Decent safety training provided by the company - Supplied with an employee onboarding pack that includes: T-Shirts, a sweatshirt, notebook, water bottle, and pens.

Cons

- Culture centered around drinking. Most employees would rather stick around the shop and drink rather than go home. - On call 24/7(mentioned in job description, but so no surprise there) - No room for growth - Unhappy employees. I get the feeling that some of the guys feel stuck there. - Extremely ineffective low-level manager.

Advice to Management

I would probably evaluate why there has been such a high turnover of the position of Marine Environment Technician. My hint would be that it starts with the person who directly manages (dictates) that position. Also, I would suggest random drug testing or that someone breathalyzes employee before they drive home.

Found 11 reviews