Global Experience Specialists Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Moster

Pros
  • Work life balance is ok if you are willing to work (in 8 reviews)

• Great people working there in all departments (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you aren't into the "feast or famine" work/life balance, maybe it isn't for you (in 7 reviews)

• May experience extremely long hours (in 10 reviews)

1. "Operations"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists part-time

Pros

Great working environment
    Fair pay
    Job Security

Cons

Can be confusing with lack of adequate training/supervision
    Sometimes it appears we don't have the appropriate amount of staffing for various shows across our region.

Advice to Management

Consider making the part time employees who are trained and a valuable asset a full time employee so you don't risk losing the time and labor used to train them to do their functions at work. Check with employees on a routine basis to see if they are okay or if they have any questions on policies or actions that could affect the overall operations of an event.

2. "GOOD but has issues"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-the team i work with on a daily basis is great

Cons

-got a raise with no pay increase.
    -have to get creative with gear since the accountants who run the company only see dollars signs and not putting on a great event for clients

Advice to Management

-pay your employees fair wage for the hard work they do
    -get more and better gear

3. "Pleasantly Pleases"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Hodgkins, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Hodgkins, IL

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of Overtime, able to travel the country

Cons

Minimun room for advancement

5. "Don't Bother"

Former Employee - Operations in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Operations in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Global Experience Specialists part-time

Pros

Depending on the trade show, the workday can be interesting. Unfortunately, this "pro" doesn't outweigh the many cons with this working for this company.

Cons

Let me start by saying that if you are looking for a temporary job and need immediate income to pay bills, GES is not the best fit. Seriously, look elsewhere. There are plenty of jobs out there that will help you temporarily get back on your feet better than working for GES. If you are looking for a full-time opportunity or want to build a future with a company, hhahahahaha please read on about GES.

In my experience, GES likes to hire "part-time" employees, but expect them to work over 40HRS a week. Again, you'll be working not just 40HRS, but OVER 40HRS a week, but will not receive any of the full-time pay and benefits you deserve. In every sense you'll be a full-time employee, but will only receive a temp's pay and no benefits. You will not be paid for holidays. You will not receive insurance of any kind. If you need a day off for family or health reasons (which often isn't approved), you better budget enough money bc GES isn't going to pay for your needed time off.

This employment trend is becoming more common nowadays. While perfectly legal, it's far from honest or fair.

Their hours are long and overtime is demanded out of you during the busy trade show season. We're talking 10-12HR days minimum for months on end. When things get slow or you're not needed on the schedule anymore, you'll find yourself justifying your existence to your managers. Your hours will be cut and the manager's fallback is always the "well, you were hired as a part-time" nonsense.

Cronyism is everywhere and resentment is everywhere bc of this scheme. The full-time people who have been with the company for decades treat part-time workers like garbage. Probably bc they know the revolving door will bring a new employee next month. Once people realize they've been tricked and they're stuck in a toxic workplace, it's too late. Don't believe me? Apply to a job opening! Go for it.

When you get to the interview, ask the hiring manager whether or not your position is viewed by GES as full-time. Ask them if you will be required to work over 40hrs a week. Ask them if you will eligible to receive benefits... believe me, you'll get the "this is not your traditional job" jargon AKA the answer will be "no, we're not paying you".

Trust me, you're better off working as an administrative assistant or a barista somewhere until you can find the right fit at a good company that pays you. Working at GES is a black hole that will rob you of vital years of work history. When you inevitably leave the company, you won't be any better for it. I know times are hard out there, but you deserve a company and a job that treats you with respect and proves it via the jobs they offer. If you work 40HRS a week (especially over 40HRS), you SHOULD be getting paid for holidays, time off and health insurance.

I left GES and started working for a wonderful company right after. My health and dental insurance started after 60 days and additional benefits like paid time off started after 90 days. Also, my new company will sponsor my license in the industry I now work in, if I decide to go for it. I know this isn't millionaire money, but after being cheated by GES for years, I'm very happy with where I'm at and look forward to the future with my new company. The best I can do is take the time out of my day and post an honest warning for anyone looking to work for GES.

You've been warned! Nothing good comes from GES. Good luck out there!

Advice to Management

Invest in your human resources! Employees will only take a bad deal for so long. They will eventually begin applying to other jobs secretly, then leave, and the company's bottom line will be hurt.

"Account Manager"

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time

Pros

They were flexible on working from home.

Cons

I could write a novel on how horrible it was to work for this company. Training was minimal. The person training me in my position had one foot out the door and shortly left after. After that I was on my own to figure things out for myself. There were other helpful employees, but none that worked in the same location. It was difficult to know at times what the right thing to do was since I didn't really have a manager most of the time. I had a manager when I was hired but then she also quit and then we were "managed" from a different manger who was on a 3 hour time difference and had no idea what was ever going on. I didn't see eye to eye with a sales person and requested to be switched off of her team multiple times. It got to the point to where it was reported to HR and they were completely useless and biased. Two upper management people sat down with me and berated me saying I wasn't a team player and took the sales persons side. It should be noted I did not know these two people and I also had never received negative feedback from my manager or anything of that nature. During that meeting they took off my office door so I would be more "open" to communicate. I called my manager and emailed several times with no reply. I left my resignation letter and my manager didn't even have the decency to call me back.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees once in awhile. They are so completely out of touch with the reality of what really goes on in the company and where the true problems lie.

"Great Employees Horrible Management"

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun diverse workplace, dedicated staff, rewarding work.

Cons

Extremely poor management, putting the wrong people in positions of power. Lack of care by Management for hard working and dedicated staff. Lack of knowledge of workplace laws by management. Creating bad work environment.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize that upper management in most departments needs to be replaced. Appreciate and grow hard working individuals and stop favoring climbers and bullies.

8. "Awesome company"

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time

Pros

Great place to work and great work environment

Cons

No cons that I have experienced

9. "Fit 10lbs of sugar in a 5lb sack"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll never have the same day in and day out activities. Always something to do and the work keeps you engaged.

Cons

Work - life balance is nearly nonexistent. Management expects overtime without offering assistance for months on end at times.

Advice to Management

Value your people and grow your workforce. I have seen turnover of 10 individuals in this role in my time at this company.

10. "Great Company to Work For!"

Pros

Great opportunity to meet new people.
    Environment changes from show to show.

Cons

Can be some long hours. It is what you make of it though!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

11. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fair Pay
    -Decent Benefits
    -Fairly Secure Job

Cons

-Inadequate Training (expected for a large company)
    -May experience extremely long hours