Global Experience Specialists Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Steve Moster

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life / balance if you are on top of your work (in 10 reviews)

• Great people working there in all departments (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • If you aren't into the "feast or famine" work/life balance, maybe it isn't for you (in 8 reviews)

• Only cons can be long hours installing booths and the AC may not be turned on until just before a show (in 11 reviews)

1. "Convention Planning Dept."

Former Employee - Drafter in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Drafter in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management could use a facelift

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging

2. "NSC employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to get a foot in the door for the trade show industry.
    The team/family environment (also a con)

Cons

The management is not consistent. A lot of office politics and favoritism. The pay is subpar to what the competition offers.

Advice to Management

To quote Richard Branson — 'Clients do not come first. Employees come first. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the clients.' This advice will keep your good employees in your company and will not seek employment elsewhere.

3. "Disappointing."

Pros

Well kept, clean office. Valiant attempts were made to build teams and morale. Director was laid back, supportive, and charming when leading meetings. Modern cafeteria, open to employee feedback.

Cons

In my specific department our supervisor lied a whole lot during the interview process making the company look modern and hip like Google or Zappos, talking it up saying you were allowed to work outside as long as you remained on the grounds, hours were flexible, etc., that you were "allowed" to personalize your cubicle, etc. That thin veneer of permissiveness was a farce. You can't leave your desk. Hours are NOT flexible, a small family photo and sports memorabilia are allowed as long as you don't stray from the confines of what is conservatively acceptable. Tattoos are ok, but not really.

If you don't fit the mold, don't even think about being yourself.

Best of all, they have zero problems getting rid of people. If you are a top performer and follow the rules, they simply write you out of the budget and insult you with a severance package that is really your paid vacation hours and includes a legal order to not speak negatively about the company. You don't get your severance if you don't sign.

I came in to work one day and was simply told to leave. No warning, no indication that I was doing something wrong. No chance to fix anything. Just losing my livelihood. Who wants food and electricity anyway, amiright??

Worst of all my specific boss, not speaking for anyone else... refused to respond to reference requests for other jobs. I have no idea what I did to spurn this woman. As far as I knew I was doing my best and that was acceptable because I was not told otherwise. Not once did I get negative feedback.
    Not. Once.

I think this reflects more upon the specific person and not GES, but somehow her crap behavior has gone undetected so far, therefore it is a GES problem.

Advice to Management

In one year all but one of her original staff members left or was let go. This person does not deserve a leadership role.

4. "Travel Required"

Former Employee - Exhibitor Services Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Exhibitor Services Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My office was small and like a family and I miss them dearly. My direct boss was awesome and all your travel expenses are taken care of. It was an hourly position, so there was lots of opportunity for overtime, especially when traveling

Cons

Travel required if there is no work in your local city, usually 5 or 6 days-3 weeks. Great if you don't have small kids, but in my situation it wasn't ideal. Only get a 2% "raise" every year so it's really more a cost of living increase and considering the minimum wage is going up, it's really not great. We used to be able to work from home, but then that changed so you have to be in the office. No room for advancement unless you want to move to one of the larger cities (Vegas, Chicago, New Jersey)

Advice to Management

Pay people enough to make the long hours and time away from their families worth it.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very Flexible and easy going. I have not had any drama, work is reasonable. I have not had that much overtime even month end.

Cons

No PTO system. You loose all of your vacation and sick leave at end of year.

Advice to Management

Management is very nice. Only negative side I see is HR system. I enjoy working at GES.

"Beureaucracy at its worst."

Current Employee - NSC in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - NSC in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are wonderful to be around day-in, day-out; great main office building; participation in Corporate Challenge; great work hours.

Cons

Horrible pay; dysfunctional work-systems and policies; overly corporate environment especially for a creative company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to national and local unemployment figures and understand how more valuable your people are now instead of a work market of 2008. Be more consistent with treatment of all employees.

7. "Great company but low pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Great hours
    Lots of overtime
    Great environment
     Free travel
    Weekends and holidays off

Cons

The pay is low
    Benefits arent great

Advice to Management

Raise the pay and get new benefits

8. "Overall a great experience"

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team, flexibility, experienced, knowledgable, great CEO and leadership.

Cons

Not much negative to say except that middle management could use a bit of a reorganization.

9. "An interesting place to work."

I worked at Global Experience Specialists full-time

Pros

Travel, excitement of seeing some of the productions and shows that they put on and mostly good people to work with.

Cons

Employee Relations leaves a lot to be desired, not necessarily by the HR department but by upper management. I was terminated by letter after a temporary assignment and never once received a call or had a discussion with the person I reported to who was one of those in upper management.

Advice to Management

Spread the HR policies and processes around to other managers and officers in hopes that they will apply them equally.

10. "Finance"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

+ Independent projects showcases individual performance
    + Great collaborative team environment
    + Good work life / balance if you are on top of your work
    + Working from home has been flexible
    + Great management
    + Good benefits
    + Exciting shows to attend

Cons

- Learning curve is high, but having competency and taking initiative is key
    - Somewhat political in some decision making
    - Levels of good management between different departments vary ( My experience has been positive, but I know other teams have had issues)

Advice to Management

Cultivate talent and ensure your employees are getting the resources they need to succeed. Weed out office politics that only favor certain groups.