Global Footprint Network Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mathis Wackernagel

1. "intern"

Pros

good learning opportunity in climate change and related field

Cons

salary is low comparing with other firms

2. "unfair treatment of employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Global Footprint Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-interesting mission
    -nice co-workers
    -good location
    -snacks

Cons

-lower-level employees are underpaid, over worked, and not recognized for the value they add
    -management repeats same mistakes year after year even when feedback clearly spells out what path should be taken to make improvements

Advice to Management

Treat people appropriately. Learn from your mistakes.

3. "External Affairs Assistant"

Former Employee - External Affairs Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - External Affairs Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Global Footprint Network (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Global Footprint Network for the past two years and must say I was quite surprised to see some of the reviews here. I would like to address a couple of these concerns by talking about my experience.

I started out as a part time unpaid external affairs intern, until I ended up working as a full time external affairs assistant for a year and a half. As a third year college student, the internship and the work proved to be very valuable experience. The pay was decent ( especially for a non-for profit) and offered me the abilities to develop many skills in research, fundraising, as well as use certain platforms such as Salesforce amongst many other.

From the general feeling I got when speaking to the other fellow interns & colleagues:

- A Strong Team of professionals who believe in the mission of the organisation.
    - Great Intern program. I started myself as an intern and Global Footprint Network and the External Affairs and Research team gave me all the tools I needed to build my skills and let me take initiative on certain projects. The interns were treated with respect
    - Great exposure to the work which is done and how it relates to the outside world: the ecological footprint has been implemented by many governments to evaluate their sustainability strategies.
    - A team of brilliant managers who ensure to promote the ecological footprint and sustainability into decision making.
    - Very Flexible Hours.
    - Open Kitchen and free food, with people taking turns to cook.
    - Decent Pay and Basic Benefits.
    - Some of the management has changed and the organisation seems to be a bit more organized than what was mentioned in other reviews ( updated for 2016)

Cons

Very little to complain about but a couple of points are worth mentioning:

- It is true that the turnover rate seems excessively above average. Nonetheless, many have gained valuable skills and have taken them somewhere else, even leaving the non-profit industry all together.
    - There are a lot of programs and the work may at first seem very confusing. In addition, Global Footprint Network does not necessarily have the resources to tackle each of them. Nonetheless, the Founder, CEO, as well as the External Affairs team were always there to answer my questions and proved to be very transparent.
    - The website and the online footprint calculator are both a bit outdated but is in the process of being renewed.
    - Overall, it is an amazing place to intern and start one's career. Although I have not been here long, it may not be the place for everyone in mid level /senior career but certainly offers employees the ability to develop fundamental potential for their next career objectives.

Advice to Management

- Emphasize the importance of the ecological footprint.
    - Try to get everyone to update Salesforce.
    - Attempt to explain all of our programs thoroughly and were funds are needed. Although I understood, it is true I've heard a lot of employees not familiar with a lot of the things we do.

5. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Global Footprint Network full-time

Pros

GFN has an amazing vision, good benefits, wonderful colleagues, and a collaborative culture.

Cons

The organization needs to focus more. Trying to do too much with limited resources.

6. "Changes in upper management- a move in the right direction."

Former Employee - California in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - California in Oakland, CA

I worked at Global Footprint Network part-time (More than a year)

Pros

GFN is a great place to work if you want flexibility and support in being innovative. Sandra Browne is now on the executive team and I'm so very confident that this,will make for a cohesive, focused, transparent, and productive organization. Helena Brykarz in HR is another person, relatively new, who is working really hard to better the organization with a focus on employee satisfaction, which impacts everything.

Cons

Having a very convoluted mission statement along with too many projects, I never really understood what we were doing, and perhaps more importantly what our actual impact was/is. Historically, there's been a lot of employee dissatisfaction. This is changing and now would be a good time to join the team and help make the change.

Advice to Management

Listen to Sandra, Helena, and Frank! They will not lead you astray!

"Don't do it"

I worked at Global Footprint Network full-time

Pros

Some smart staff and nice people, with a database that could be useful if it were applied a little differently and more appropriately. Staff have a lot of freedom and flexibility with their time.

Cons

Everything written here by other reviewers is true. The company is unable to retain staff for more than about a year because the structure is fundamentally broken, and people leave as soon as they realize how badly the company is run and how little chance there is of ever changing it. Nothing will change until the husband & wife team that run it step down from all management activities.

"Amazing Vision, Poor Management"

I worked at Global Footprint Network full-time

Pros

GFN is working to change how world leaders think about resources. Their mission is to impact decisions made by heads of state and national or regional leadership with regards to sustainability, realistic views on resource constraints, and they back up their statements with sound data and science.

Cons

GFN has suffered from high staff turnover for many years. Some disliked the low even for non-profit wages, some disliked the lack of transparency in decision making, and some just could not stand working for a husband and wife team that bring their marital issues into the workplace.

Advice to Management

Bring on a professional CEO or COO, and give them the authority and control to make necessary changes.

"Well-meaning but misguided leadership and a completely broken company culture."

Former Employee - Project and Foundation Development in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Project and Foundation Development in Oakland, CA

I worked at Global Footprint Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Community lunches are a plus and some of the people I met here became good friends. This would be a good place to intern or get your first job at, provided you were committed to learning all you could very quickly and leaving soon after.

Cons

The management here is really struggling to figure out the company's next move, and any forward momentum flounders in internal politics and unrealistic planning. The science and research being done is not advancing and government/external partnerships are weak, or in name only. Unfortunately, the company seems to lack any real vision to change this.

Advice to Management

Management needs to set a clear vision for the next 5-10 years of the organization - something based in honest reflection of the current state of affairs and reasonable objectives moving forward. Internal politics crippled the atmosphere and culture here - new, un-related and committee chosen C-level leadership could help revitalize the group. This company attracts stellar staff with its noble purpose and bay area presence and fails to utilize that talent in growing the organization.

10. "Really nice staff, smart people with a good goal"

Current Employee - Research Intern in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Oakland, CA

Pros

The people, the mission, laid back environment, full kitchen that provides lunch every day.

Cons

I haven't been there for very long, but it seems a little inefficiently run

"I worked at the organization full-time for a number of years."

Pros

Talented and eager staff. Flexible work schedule. Exposure to concepts and ideas that have potential for great work.

Cons

Staff are not treated professionally. The organization has a serious identity crisis. It wants to be one thing, but it doesn't not have the leadership, adequate staff, or a process in place to achieve its goals. There is a constant focus on everyone being a fundraiser, even if they were not hired to do so. This makes many staff members wonder whether the organization will be around very long.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff. Take leadership training courses and trust the people you hired to do their jobs.