Global Health Strategies Reviews | Glassdoor

Global Health Strategies Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2019

Found 27 reviews

2.8
Global Health Strategies CEO David Gold  (no image)
David Gold

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Global Health Strategies full-time

Pros

- Great group of people at all levels who are passionate about their work - The company recognizes the large amount of work and long hours that most people do and rewards people with fun activities, parties, and pretty substantial bonuses - The content is incredibly rewarding to work on - Nice space in midtown Manhattan with a roof deck - Easily accessible (most subways stop nearby)

Cons

- The hours can be long at certain times of year depending on the teams or accounts to which you are assigned - some clients are more demanding than others and some causes just demand more work by nature so this can vary - There is a diversity issue (but the management seem to be putting a lot more work into resolving this over the past few months including adding diversity training sessions to the yearly calendar... and actually seeking out diverse candidates for open positions) - Salaries are a little low compared to comparable positions elsewhere (but the aforementioned bonuses do a lot to make up for this)

Advice to Management

Overall I believe that management actually do care about their employees and are doing a good job of resolving a number of issues that have been brought up in recent memory including diversity issues and hiring an actual HR representative. I would just say to be careful to continue making these improvements and not stop when the financial burden is realized.

Global Health Strategies2018-10-27

"Incredibly stressful environment with long hours and insufficient pay"

I worked at Global Health Strategies full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will work on a wide range of topics and types of projects. This will give you a lot of professional experience if this is your first job out of college. You will also meet very young and passionate people that will become close friends, as you will spend much of your time past work hours together in the office.

Cons

GHS is an incredibly stressful environment where you will work extremely hard for very little pay. Many people are paid under 50K a year and always work 10-12 hour days. The business model at GHS takes advantage of younger women who feel they need this job to get to the next step in their career, but has no interest in retaining talent by paying them what they deserve for the amount of work they put into the job.... Again, because you are working so many hours and are spread very thin across projects, you will receive great professional development and get to work with very smart people. I am very grateful for everything that I learned at GHS and the connections I made, but it came at a price: the deterioration of my mental health. Management tells people what they want to hear (and often flat out lies), trying to convince people that there is a GHS family, when in reality, junior staff members are not treated with respect and dignity.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain smart people who are passionate about the issues you work on, you have to treat them with respect. That means compensating them for the amount of work, the long hours, and the stress they go through everyday. Also, do not lie to junior staff and gaslight them. They are the backbone of this company and deserve better. I also agree with other reviews that most of the issues described above stem... from poor decisions made by the COO who does not have empathy for junior staff.

Global Health Strategies2019-07-02

"I'm honestly still haunted."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Global Health Strategies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool office, fun work events. Junior staff suffer together and bond, much like members of a hazed fraternity pledge class.

Cons

I'm still haunted by GHS more than a year after leaving. I've never worked somewhere so abusive, that made me feel so disrespected and unappreciated. It sounds like very little has changed. Imagine working from 9 am to 9 pm for an entire winter. Of eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in front of your computer screen, every day. Of being paid, often, less than $50k/year for this treatment. All this, while multiple... people in senior management have several homes. This is a place where managers intentionally make junior staff feel bad about their work. Junior staff, in turn, work long hours to prove themselves. You'll succeed here if you are prepared to work as late as 9 pm indefinitely, if you don't like lunch breaks, and you bring your work laptop home on the weekends. If you're a young woman, prepare to be just the right amount of *mousy* around your male managers' fragile egos. Some people find this environment "exciting" and "challenging," I felt hazed. Favoritism is rife here, and sexism is real. Appalling racial microaggressions fly at the highest levels of the company. Obama's portrait hangs in the office. "Progressive!" I remember seeing negative reviews on Glassdoor before I applied, but I hoped the complaints wouldn’t apply to me, or were exaggerations—plus, there were some positive reviews! I didn't realize, at the time, that upper management actively encourages these positive reviews, especially after a bout of negative ones. That’s probably all the ethically-minded really need to know. Look elsewhere if you want to do good and feel good at work.

Advice to Management

Replace the COO. It seems most cultural issues can be traced back to her.

Global Health Strategies2019-05-14

July 17, 2019

Dear Former GHSer, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts so thoroughly. I’ve not had the pleasure of meeting you because I joined GHS in early 2019, but your review of the company is not an accurate depiction of the GHS I know, care about, and am constantly trying to make better in partnership with our leadership team. I am making my way through the company, speaking to staff regularly about their concerns and how we can continue to improve our culture. I’d like to add that this is not a solo effort – the decision to hire for my position was championed by the COO and involved input from several members of management and junior staff. As with any professional client services firm, there will be busy seasons as well as slower seasons. It’s a difficult field that many are proud to be a part of and thrive well under its pressure. What we do for our clients is both meaningful and urgent, but it’s not for everyone. As the Director of Talent, I have the honor of representing our company and setting expectations throughout the interview process and employee life-cycle. It’s unfair to assume that our positive reviews were written under pressure from management. Most potential applicants know that there is a selection bias on review sites that skews towards impassioned and disgruntled employees, particularly in competitive companies. If these employees (past and present) care enough to speak with me about their issues and concerns, I am here to help however I can. All of this is to say, I would be happy to have a coffee with you to further discuss the past, present, and future of culture here at GHS. Please feel free to reach out to me at gchang@globalhealthstrategies.com – I sincerely hope we have a chance to speak. Sincerely, Gordon

"Decent entry-level/stopgap job, but only stay for a few months"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Global Health Strategies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are great opportunities to work with high-profile clients, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, multilateral organizations, and big pharma companies.

Cons

Global Health Strategies relies upon young, idealistic and mission-driven people to work at below-market compensation. Long working hours (min 50h/wk) and poor management result in cohorts burning out on a yearly basis and the best people leaving over time. As a result, the organization has an overrepresentation of two groups — weak performers and the personally privileged.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff. Fix the problem of chronic understaffing, which leads to overwork. Pay your staff. Pay your staff.

Global Health Strategies2019-01-26

"Great opportunities in global health comms and advocacy"

I have been working at Global Health Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Before GHS I had never worked in a position where I was as confident as I am now that my work is important and appreciated. I am also consistently impressed by how seriously my supervisors take my professional development.

Cons

You have to love working in a very fast-paced environment and you need to enjoy working since you'll spend a lot of time doing so. That said, there is a much more convivial office atmosphere than I've experienced in other jobs, so it usually balances out.

Advice to Management

I would advise company management to create an in-house recruitment and HR presence rather than rely on consultants (though I believe this is already in the works).

Global Health Strategies2018-10-23

"Overworked/Underpaid"

I worked at Global Health Strategies full-time

Pros

Free Food On Tues and Thirsday

Cons

Overworked, only lasted 2 weeks. They just threw a whole bunch of clients at me without training

Global Health Strategies2018-09-25

October 9, 2018CAO/CFO

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are currently recruiting a Director of Talent who will be responsible for coordinating an improved training program for our team, among many other priorities. GHS has scaled quickly and we feel this position will be crucial in supporting the development and work life of our growing teams in NY and globally.

"Keep looking"

Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Global Health Strategies for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch In office events Highly organized

Cons

Harsh treatment towards newbies Passive aggressive leadership Managers take credit for most projects Just about everything

Advice to Management

Stop seeking staff that are just like the executives. Accept new members with diverse and opposing ideas.

Global Health Strategies2018-08-28

October 10, 2018CAO/CFO

I have shared your feedback and concerns with the executive team and we take your comments very seriously. We are working very hard to create a work environment that encourages creativity and passion on important global issues and provides our team with opportunities to grow and do great work. We recognize though, that as a fast-growing business, we don't always get it all right. Thank you for sharing areas where you believe we can do better. One of our key next steps is hiring a Director of Talent who will support the executive team in employee engagement and talent development.

"Nope."

I worked at Global Health Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great junior staff. You'll work alongside strong writers and gain (dubious) insight into major companies and foundations. Lunch is catered twice/week (which is secretly a con that justifies lower pay and keeps you working non-stop).

Cons

Incredibly overworked, undervalued, and underpaid. Make no mistake: This is not an advocacy firm. It's standard consulting. As a member of junior staff, your creativity and voice is stifled. GHS' mission is clouded by controversial clients and poor management. The impact of your work is unclear, and the company fails to invest in basic analytics tools or digital comms strategies. GHS claims to provide... "industry standard" salaries—which would be true for a non-profit; it's a private company. You'll be lucky to get $50k with a graduate degree and two years of work experience. At GHS, you're both rewarded and reprimanded for working long hours. You can't win. Get in / get out, and definitely don't let senior management take credit for wherever you go next.

Advice to Management

1. Practice what you preach. Hire an HR team. And people of color. Provide a living wage. Establish clear and consistent communication channels between junior and senior staff; the GHS hierarchy is impossible to navigate. 2. Placing a huge emphasis on the "GHS type" throughout the hiring process perpetuates the status quo — white, extroverted, young people. There's no diversity here. 3. It's not gender equity... if there are little to no women on senior teams. 4. SEE YOUR EMPLOYEES.

Global Health Strategies2018-08-23

October 23, 2018CAO/CFO

Thank you for giving us your honest and frankly tough feedback. Our executive team is reviewing your comments and as you can see in my previous responses, we are actively recruiting a Director of Talent to support us in managing our team and offices. As a female leader at GHS I take all your comments seriously but particularly the gender equity comment. While I am a believer that everyone and every organization can always strive to do better, I am pleased to report that our executive and senior management teams in NY are 60% female and 40% male. We are also very proud to have launched a diversity and inclusion initiative that I hope will enhance our work environment and our team make up. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your insights and feedback.

"Get Out."

I worked at Global Health Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a roof deck. A strong consideration, as you'll frequently spend 80-100 hours per week in this environment.

Cons

A seriously conflicted company that says it wants to do good, but destroys its staff through chronic over-work, selective appreciation, and a cycle of emotionally abusive management practices (read: leadership will openly destroy anyone who does not fit "the mold" - even if they are good workers and well liked; not a healthy behavior to witness). If you can get in and get out within a year, you may gain some... second-hand exposure to global issues. However, the low pay, unusually high emotional demands of 'succeeding' at GHS, and destructive management practices you will endure/witness others enduring makes any role here a calculated risk. Diversity is a major issue, root causes of which (low salary for those without additional resources or those who support family; Ivy-based hiring practices; and rigid in-office work hours) leadership is loath to address.

Advice to Management

For senior leadership: Craft a set of metrics for appropriate workplace behavior and constructive management practices. Follow them. You get good people in the door, nurture them. For those in middle management: Consider leaving GHS before you learn bad management practices that will hurt your career long term.

Global Health Strategies2018-08-18

"Explore other options"

I worked at Global Health Strategies full-time

Pros

The work can be interesting

Cons

Lack of structure and professionalism: no real structure or training, an insistence on blurring the lines between the personal and professional (you’re expected to be very good friends with all of your colleagues and hang out outside of work), plus a lack of a real HR presence all result in a lack of clear merit-based paths to success, a lot of inappropriate relationships, and a lack of support when issues arise.... No work/life balance and low pay: Hours are easily 80+ per week—for non-profit pay. People are praised for working long hours and eating dinner at the office, but pay is not commensurate. Nothing special: GHS wins people over by convincing them that no one else does the work that they do and it’s a rare and unique opportunity. It’s not true—they have to compete for business just like anyone else, which means that they have plenty of direct and indirect competitors who can offer you the same type of work, better pay, and a more professional and healthy environment.

Global Health Strategies2018-08-14