Global Impact Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Jackson

1. "Very fulfilling experience"

Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Mid Level Management in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Global Impact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, always busy with new things meaning new learnings, new experiences. Most people are great to work with, smart, personable

Cons

No work life balance for trusted and honest employees, be ready to work late nights and weekends to keep up with the crazy assignments.

Advice to Management

Make up your mind as to what to focus to advance the company

"bad experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

There was nothing good about working there !

Cons

Terrible management
    The HR department is a complete mess ! they are unorganized and tend to make continues mistakes.
    you are treated like a second hand employee

3. "GI"

Current Employee - Executive in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Executive in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Global Impact (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Culture and work environment

Cons

work life balance can be chalenging

4. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Global Impact (Less than a year)

Pros

Global Impact is a great place to work at. I didn't met one person at the office who I did not like. As an intern you are given a lot of hands on projects that are truly meant to provide good learning experiences. The mission of the organization is also great and you are constantly reminded how the work you are doing affects the overall goal of the organization.

Cons

The company is still growing so while there are new opportunities for employment, they are still limited

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Global Impact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Committed organization that raises money for charity. Most people who work here are dedicated to working in the non-profit arena. The company is innovative and creative. If you have a great idea, share it, management is open to hearing about it. Benefits are outstanding, some of the best in the industry with insurance (family and partner), 401k match, etc.

Cons

As with any place, you have a few with egos that are a bit annoying. But those people are limited at this organization. Organization is in growth mode, so that can be unnerving for risk-averse persons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. With great risk comes great rewards. Management is respected and employees are looking towards you to lead.

"Great new culture"

I have been working at Global Impact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic new CEO has breathed life into what was a tough environment. New teams are being formed and a shift is happening that is positive and collaborative. People at enjoying their work and each other while working towards a common goal.

Cons

Fast paced environment is not for everyone. People are stretched in their current roles and competing priorities is the norm for every day.

Advice to Management

Some executives seem disconnected to the overall mission and less focused on the needs of the future and employees. The old regime still lingers in the air. Eradicate it.

7. "Much better."

I have been working at Global Impact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* The new President & CEO is a good leader, approachable and creates a good environment.
    * The organization has a great mission.
    * I am able to help some great charities and people in need
    * The day to day work is diverse
    * Most of the folks working here really care about what they are doing
    * The location in old town Alexandria is nice

Cons

* Fast paced and demanding environment.
    * Can't always immediately see the product of your work.
    * In the past, leadership created a challenging work environment. I've been here for a few years now and a lot has changed for the better in just the past few months. Many of the issues/problems that have been mentioned in other reviews have gone away. Still a very busy place, but the environment is much improved.

Advice to Management

Continue to tap the potential of your staff.

"This is the first job where I have actually sat at my desk and cried from choosing this company."

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

Pros

They hire you fast and present a great place to work.

Cons

Communication:
    I've actually been given tasks by a Project Manager of a team and had my supervisor tell me that I should have been doing something different. I actually got lectured. The supervisor knows the PM, yet never communicated with them. So I was stuck in the middle between my supervisor and the PM.

Work/Life Balance:
    There is none. If you come here, expect to work from sun up to sun down with no breaks. There was no mention of this in my interviews. I was told it was a straight 9 to 5 gig.

Turnover:
    The turnover rate when I started was 30%, but it is more like 70% now since two directors including the Director of Marketing, as well as a VP. The most tenured person in the Marketing department has been here two years.

Employee Morale:
    The morale of the company is extremely low due to all the preceding factors. The only person who thinks otherwise is upper management, also the boss for all those directors who mysteriously resigned. People are truly unhappy, but scared to talk to HR, who also reports to upper management. So many conflicts of interests there.

Job Duties:
    My job duties have changed to administrative assistant with a degree, despite what I was actually hired to do. Be careful when pointing that out, otherwise they will politely give you a 500-page book about "change" in workplace and show you how to be a “team player.” There are also lots of supervisors who will take credit for your ideas.

Advice to Management

I have never worked at a company where so many employees are overworked, overlooked, and neglected. It truly is a sad to see the employees so defeated, especially for a company whose mission is "Assuring Help for People in Need." The truth is happy employees will bring in revenue and ensure a thriving future. They will want to give 110% when they aren't being mistreated. I hope the recent resignations of key people gives insight to how desperately a change needs to come for the future success of this organization.

"Global Impact pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Good benefits. Freedom, at least in some positions (depending on your manager), to learn and grow. Opportunities to take classes to develop your skills.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth and development. Lack of excitement and challenge in a lot of the work areas. Fear of trying new things. Environment not very supportive. Employee respect and appreciation at a minimum. Lack of team unity (in some departments).

Advice to Management

Get a better understanding and appreciation for your employees and the support necessary to do the work required. Facilitate a more energized work environment; one based on innovation and creativity. Create more opportunities to grow.

"Transformed, engaged organization with amazing staff. I love everyone I work with."

Pros

Opportunities to own your own work, connecting to mission. Most of the senior staff is supportive and empowering. My job is the most amazing job I have ever had and I thank God every day.

Cons

Very fast paced. Expectations are high and no one works a 40 hour week. Not for those who want long term projects with little change.

Advice to Management

There are still some silos break them down. To get my job done I sometimes have to work around people and it starts at the senior level. Also in such a fast paced environment be sure to recognize the people working their hearts out.