Global Relay Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Warren Roy

Pros
  • Flexible hours, good people, good culture, catered lunches, free beer (in 15 reviews)

• I've been at GR for almost a year and have found it to be a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • CEO and President bickered with each other in public (in my presence) - very unprofessional (in 4 reviews)

• All the negative reviews are true here (in 6 reviews)

1. "Not bad at all"

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers. Interesting technology. Financially stable. Good culture.

Cons

Management can be harsh and unreasonable at times.

Advice to Management

You might develop stronger departments if you empowered employees more.

2. "Please, Please take your bonus and leave!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for.
    Solid and sustainable year over year growth from multiple revenue streams.
    Huge opportunities in multiple sectors.
    Great product and service.
    Great benefits, subsided lunch. Free beer and wine. Whine for some people.
    Has paid out annual bonuses each year for the last 6 years!
    Management team is not always perfect but cares and tries to make the company a good place.

Cons

Because the company is financially successful there is not a big focus on individual accountability. As a result, there is a lot of dead weight as non performers are layered over and not replaced. Usually they sit in meetings talking all day while the performers do real work. This allowed to continue because the people producing the top line keep producing. The result is people with negative attitudes on your team who expect handouts when they don't produce. The company is not right for everyone, so if you don't like it everyone would be elated if you took your bonus and ran. We are trying to get sh*t done here. LOL.

Advice to Management

Clean out the bottom 20% of employees and right size them with positive people. The company will be stronger and more productive.

3. "Honest opinion from a former employee - GR's not that bad..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Global Relay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great environment if you are the right fit - there are definitely people who enjoy each other's company at the company. If you enjoy working hard and drinking and socializing after a hard week on a Friday, GR is a good place to do that.
    2. Strong growth but this is a pro and a con as it leads to ambitious goals - hard to achieve and your bonus is affected by this.
    3. You do not have to worry too much about your lunch as it is subsidized - the lunches are actually quite good (thx Tobby).
    4. Very cool co-workers all around if you spend the time to get to know them.
    5. Good benefits overall - MSP, generous dental coverage, eyes, 2% RRSPs after a year...

Cons

1. Still a growing company - feels like there are lots of rough edges to smooth out.
    2. Feels like there is a disconnect between the management and the regular employees - not certain hence the word "feels". Perhaps a bit of transparency can build and foster a solid connection.
    3. Do something for your loyal GR hustlers - rather than a trophy.

Advice to Management

I think the upper management definitely works hard, harder than the rest as the company continues to grow year after year. BUT I truly believe that you should be questioning your employees a lot more on how they are doing. If one way to bring out their opinions don't work, try another way. Perhaps via online messages through the intranet. Try and foster a solid communication channel both ways and strengthen the foundations of the company.

5. "Good Company, great benefits, good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team oriented culture that does their best to give back to hard working staff

Cons

Some departments can be political but it really depends on the group that you are working with.

"Great people around you; Great place to develop your career; Reasonable Salary; Unreasonable treats."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was happy in Global Relay, until about mid to late 2015. Well, let's put it this way. I never felt unhappy at least until then. I still feel, even now, that I have a big debt to the company and thankful for all they have done for me so far. I am deeply appreciated.

Cons

All the below items are "facts" that happened to me past 1-2 years:

1. These days, I feel like working in a prison cell with a guard at the end of the room. I need constantly be alerted with surroundings. As I am too busy being alerted, I can't even concentrate on my work which is quite frustrating from my point of view. Tried to explain my reasons which were ignored entirely.
    2. I am blocked from accessing following websites for watching "youtube videos" with fair amount of warnings of "don't watch videos": youtube.com, spotify.com, soundcloud.com, music.google.com and there are sites such as gmail.com, google drive, hotmail.com, etc that are blocked for "everyone" because of some kind of security that no one in the company knows why; at least I don't know why. Explain with reasons to the employees on this and they will totally tune in and understand. I generally have a good faith towards employees in Global Relay.
    3. When I got all these "don't watch videos" warnings, I asked if there are any problems with my work performance/quality/quantity, the answer was no. I still got into much trouble for watching videos in the company for watching/listening to the videos in the background. A fair amount of warning emails has been sent around to the management. Quite threatening words used there such as termination of my job.
    4. Can't even access to bcliquorstores.com. What's up with that? I didn't even bother to ask why. Are they treating me like an alcoholic or something? Teammates are laughing at me. Much humiliation. Enough said. I literally got nothing to lose from this company at this point.
    5. I am generally an easy-going person. However, swearing directly at my face with audible 'F' word in the meeting with HR person even embarrassed me. I can't imagine how HR person felt about it. At least I felt really low, quite unprofessional. I hope the person who swore at me sees this comment and stop this from happening in the future to other employees.

Advice to Management

I genuinely have these questions to them:

Did you have to ruin my work life in Global Relay like this? I totally understand that managers are trying to do their job, but did you really have to go this extent?Threatening employees and yellings were the best way to handle the situation? I am literally suffered from getting into a sleep at nights filled with humiliation. Global Relay, no doubt, still have many people with talents. Not sure how long that will last, questionable.

I am not in a position to give any advice to the management. Just wanna say this though, let's stay professional bro.

"hopeless"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

good stuff copied from fake post

Cons

hopeless place that lacks of any inspiring.
    tech stack is as old like crap
    most people can be fired the company still runs like the same

Advice to Management

no need to advise as they know everything

"Please keep looking, garbage company"

Current Employee - Devops in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Devops in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free beer and wine, subsidized soup kitchen. Convenient downtown location, private bike cage, uses Linux OS, rooftop patio, possibly other stuff

Cons

Managers run amok, disagreeing with them can get you ostrrasized or fired, their concern is not results or quality software, it's their egos. The managers also don't care if the people under them have a safe and comfortable working environment, they will never stick up for you if you have a problem. they only care about looking good to their peers. very low pay, no raise if you get a promotion. Test environments are so pathetic, you will spend half your time fighting with underpowered VMs and flaky DNS and networking, complaining about it will get you nowhere. It's all juniors and coops , the seniors are all leaving so hope you like babysitting.. If you read these reviews, you will notice the only positive reviews are from coops and juniors who wouldn't know any better. Learn from my mistakes

Advice to Management

Get bent

"It used to be a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good job experience. Convenient downtown location. Subsidized meals.

Cons

Incompetent management/Lack of leadership. Dismal career advancement prospects. Security theatre trumps actual priorities. Highly manual processes in a "software" company. Archaic operational practices masked behind glossy marketing. Crippling technical debt. Bloated management teams trying to manage small numbers of skilled workers.

Advice to Management

Pay your operations team more or you will cease to operate. Stop pretending you can grow the company by hiring underqualified "senior" people and try promoting from within backed by training, and leadership.

"An easy paycheck"

I have been working at Global Relay full-time

Pros

You can get away with doing so little. Just be talkative and loud and attend all possible meetings so people think you're actually contributing something.

Tremendous work-life balance. If you love just coasting and surfing the net all the time then this place is perfect. Coffee breaks every half hour. 6hr work days. Long lunches. Zero output, zero consequence.

Cons

- See Pros (it's all a matter of perspective)
    - Most people here are all form, no substance

Advice to Management

Get experienced professionals and stop hiring useless, immature co-ops all the time who treat the office like a frathouse. And crack down on internet usage. You'll find you don't actually need most of the people you have.

"Please read...Do NOT work here"

Former Employee - Provisioning Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Provisioning Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Global Relay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

About me: BSc. Computer Science, Global Relay was my first Tech job. 2 years work experience.

Great place to start if you have limited experience. You'll get a chance to network and meet some smart people. However, those people will usually leave for better opportunities.

Cons

- Salaries are extremely low (the figures you see listed on Glassdoor are not accurate)
    - Non-existent career growth
    - Extremely high staff turnover rate
    - Software being developed is outdated

A typical salary to start when you work in their IT support / Provisioning department is $35000 which will increase to $39000 within 6 months. After that your salary progression is a crawl. There are company targets that will give you a bonus but its unlikely that those goals are reached. Try and live in the greater Vancouver area with that kind of salary and see how you fare. I shopped my CV around to a few companies and landed in BC Hydro with almost a 55% pay raise.

Advice to Management

I hope you're strategy to ask your employees to write positive reviews after giving them a small bonus borders on unethical. Please compensate your workers fairly. You under pay employees in IT support, Provisioning, Data Services and Account Management.