Global Relay Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Warren Roy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, good people, good culture, catered lunches, free beer (in 16 reviews)

• Work hard - Play Hard - Chef prepared meals and breakfast fixins free, oh and beer and wine on tap (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some very negative reviews on glassdoor make it look like not everyone here is happy (in 6 reviews)

• You have to say goodbye to your career growth and goals (in 5 reviews)

1. "Not bad at all"

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers. Interesting technology. Financially stable. Good culture.

Cons

Management can be harsh and unreasonable at times.

Advice to Management

You might develop stronger departments if you empowered employees more.

2. "Please, Please take your bonus and leave!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for.
    Solid and sustainable year over year growth from multiple revenue streams.
    Huge opportunities in multiple sectors.
    Great product and service.
    Great benefits, subsided lunch. Free beer and wine. Whine for some people.
    Has paid out annual bonuses each year for the last 6 years!
    Management team is not always perfect but cares and tries to make the company a good place.

Cons

Because the company is financially successful there is not a big focus on individual accountability. As a result, there is a lot of dead weight as non performers are layered over and not replaced. Usually they sit in meetings talking all day while the performers do real work. This allowed to continue because the people producing the top line keep producing. The result is people with negative attitudes on your team who expect handouts when they don't produce. The company is not right for everyone, so if you don't like it everyone would be elated if you took your bonus and ran. We are trying to get sh*t done here. LOL.

Advice to Management

Clean out the bottom 20% of employees and right size them with positive people. The company will be stronger and more productive.

3. "Great Entry into Technology Company"

Pros

Global Relay offers a wide range of roles for many different individuals looking to start their career in IT. The company is very willing to hire junior and entry level individuals across all areas of the business. There are also a wide range of experienced IT professionals who you can learn from.

Company has some good perks, including pension, extended health, in-office chef, beer and wine on tap and lots of games and events.

Staff and colleagues are generally very welcoming.

Cons

Company doesn't have very clear career progression plans or pathways. Most departments are quite specialized and it doesn't make it very easy to move laterally or vertically within the company.

Entry level roles come with entry level salaries. Salary increases are capped to a specific maximum percentage and are tied to peer reviews. Change of title doesn't necessarily mean pay increase and you will have to fight HR for a raise.

Teams, especially customer facing ones, seem to work in isolation and don't collaborate as much as could do.

4. "Top Vancouver company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time

Pros

This is my third job and I think this is one of top companies in Vancouver to work at. The clients are all over the world, the technology is all built by Global Relay, and it's interesting work. Smart, nice people. enjoyable culture. free beer and many perks.

Cons

the same as any job

Advice to Management

make career path choices more clear

5. "Techie at Global Relay"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Global Relay (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work , stylish environment, good quality equipment and cream of the crop colleagues They supply great free snacks and good inexpensive chef cooked meals on site daily. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

Must be willing to commute to downtown Vancouver, into the core city, I resigned because of the commute from my house. Typical company growing pains with processes and procedures. Lots of regulated procedures due to the nature of their business.

Advice to Management

I feel this company is moving in the right direction. Keep up the good work by listening to your employees . The food and extras like the backpack and hoodie really help foster team spirit. Typically compensation is slightly below average but hopefully as the company grows that will change to above average , it has the potential to do this

6. "It really isn't that bad"

I have been working at Global Relay full-time

Pros

- Welcoming environment
    - Free beer and wine
    - Subsidised lunch
    - Reasonable compensations overall
    - Smart colleagues following best practices
    - if you are in a development team you'll be reasonably satisfied.

Cons

- Bonus programs and all hands meetings are actually demoralizing

"great place to start a career, but not the best to grow it"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gastown location
    subsidized lunches
    free bagels, coffee, cookies, beer
    great people and interaction within development team (depends which team, though)
    provides opportunities to grow and learn
    people who know their stuff really know their stuff
    plenty departments working with different tech. lateral movements are easy to make

Cons

2 sick days every 6 months.
    several flu seasons in a year? better to infect everyone and not be productive at the office
    politics. not noticeable within teams, but once you start dealing with managers, it becomes apparent
    low pay compared to other tech companies
    most people who know their stuff won't stick around due to politics
    teams seem to hate each other for some reason
    super strict security (nature of the financial industry, unfortunately)
    emails are blocked in office network

"QA Analyst"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best Company to work in Vancouver

Cons

There are no specific cons

"Enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Training & Customer Support Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Global Relay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was wary seeing Glassdoor reviews when coming through my interview process, but after 3 months I am very happy where I am. The company has lots of perks, and good pay (for the position I'm in).
    - Free breakfast, bagels, English muffins, bread, spreads.
    - Good coffee from the machine or drip, plus tea selection.
    - Subsidised lunches are great.
    - Beer and Wine on tap.
    - Professional culture, without being too constrictive.
    - Good opportunities for advancing (possibly from some roles more than others)
    - Industry leader with values.
    - Year over year stable growth

Cons

Interdepartmental communication could be improved, and if I'm being picky free fruit would be great. I don't think I've been here long enough to give good and constructive cons.
    - Not many sick days

Advice to Management

Everyone in Management I've met has been super nice, forward thinking, and fit for their role.

"Think Twice"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Global Relay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I echo most of the non-saccharine sweet reviews you see here already.

There is an easy work/life balance, cheap lunches, good location (if you like Gastown) and some people are quite nice. If your manager likes you, you'll be kept at GR regardless of your competency (many are). It's definitely better for your career at Global Relay to fall in line with poor choices than overstepping your role you do what your experience says is right.

Cons

As mentioned in other reviews, Global Relay's end-of-2016 bonus did not pay out and the company is now experiencing a slow, steady, brain drain. This makes GR slowly incapable at executing which, in turn, frustrates many people who then choose to leave - a slow downward spiral.

A reviewer made a recommendation that if you're thinking of working at Global Relay you should ask for more compensation than other organizations, I don't disagree with that thought.

Slow, manual, error-prone, processes are cultural to GR and exist across many teams. This leads to hiring more "manual doers" and enforces the idea of being "too busy mopping to turn off the faucet". This is seen in the sysadmin, operations, HR, release management, QA, etc.

Of course, people who could improve the situation get frustrated and either leave, or they attempt to hijack and enforce more efficient methods which leads to their dismissal. As I mentioned above, it's better to just fall in line.

I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to mention the absolute lack of risk Global Relay is willing to take. I'm not suggesting that the organization should become the wild west, but there are many internal projects (which do not impact customers) that have slogged on for years for fear that a mistake might be made, these projects chew up time and effort of many people (time and effort that could be used for other projects).

While this is indeed the cons section, I should mention that there is a groundswelling of wanting to see change, improvement, efficiency among the workers at Global Relay, but few are willing (and able) to execute to see that change.

Advice to Management

Hire for what you want, not what you need. Be honest with candidates when you do. Continue to outsource, be more open about your failures.