Global Santa Fe Drilling Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Global Santa Fe Drilling Company Reviews

2.0
Charles M Striedel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "No longer in business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Fourchon, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Fourchon, LA

I worked at Global Santa Fe Drilling Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having half the year off was nice.

Cons

You have to live at work, tough on family.

Advice to Management

Advancement opportunities are very limited for minorities.

2. "Nice pay, but senior management are a bit dense"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

GSF pays very well. They seem to have money to burn and spend on anything and everything. They have a 4.5 day work week which makes it nice to have every Friday afternoon off.

Cons

They pay well, but in return you are not allowed to question anything. Senior management speaks openly and negatively about each other. There would be no hesitation to threaten an employee with unemployment as a motivator.

Advice to Management

Some members of management are there because they are slick like a used car salesman, not because they have talent. Take a look at each other and if someone seems to be smelling like a rose too much of the time you can count on it that they have pulled the wool over your eyes.

3. "Controls engineer"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer

Pros

Great work cutting edge controls, Drilling in 10000 feet of water

Cons

World wide scope for drilling ,Singapore to Amazon Delta

4. "Motorman"

Pros

I thought working for two weeks and being off for two weeks was a good idea but I was absolutely wrong.

Cons

I had to do a lot of physical work for 12 hours everyday and then after the first week you change to night shift instead of day shift which made me disturbed for a couple days getting used to it.

5. "Not genuine"

Pros

When I was onboard Global Santa Fe rigs the pay was reasonable and the safety bonuses also made a difference.

Cons

Safety bonuses were paid only if no accidents were reported: People stopped reporting accidents (they still happened). If an accident was reported everyone on the rig lost their bonus resulting in massive pressure not to report them.

A just do it attitude. Dont question every day tasks onboard their rigs. They have a massive turnover of staff who question on the grounds of safety or other. If you question, you're gone.

Hypocracy. I watched toolpushers highlight during safety meetings things that shouldnt be done only to do them very things themselves half an hour later.

Example: "dont go down the hatch without a harness on". 5 minutes later I watched as the man who told me this went down without a harness.

Luckily for all, GSF has now been taken over by Transocean so the attitude will likely be better. This company however has a terrible safety record and those who created it are still there: even with a change of name.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you do. Treat people with respect.