Glu Mobile Artist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Glu Mobile  President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl
1 Rating

"Wonderful game development studio with excellent work/life balance (Bellevue office)"

Current Employee - Artist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/life balance: Employees are encouraged to have a life outside of the office. Positive studio culture: In general, everyone here gets along very well, and we regularly have fun activities. We decorate team areas to suit our individual personalities. Successful products: While we are not making Candy Crush numbers, we have a successful product that allows us to pursue fun and interesting projects without having to lay people off. The studio takes care of its employees: Managers and directors do everything they can to take care of the employees. There is genuine concern about everyone's well-being. Transparent communication: Where applicable and possible (I understand there are legal areas we can't touch), communication is totally open and transparent. I rarely feel "in the dark" when it comes to studio and project statuses. Flexible working arrangements: It's very easy to work from home if needed. This is especially beneficial for people who live in Seattle and areas far outside of Bellevue.

Cons

Communication between departments is rocky and needs work. For all the efforts made to unify the teams, there is still an "us and them" approach to things. Career paths are unclear. Many people are unsure of how they can progress in their jobs. Managers are often overtasked and spread too thin. Some employees are expected to be both a manger and an individual contributor on their projects. There is a constant push of doing things faster and cheaper while maintaining high quality standards. This often results in fast and cheap and lowering the quality of our work, because, in the end, it's all about the money. Too much focus on hitting our bonus targets. Yes, bonuses are really nice to have, but constantly using that as an incentive and reminder to do better/more work makes me uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Get out into the general team areas and talk to the individuals on each team. Don't stay in a silo in the director's area. Don't just stick with your respective disciplines/specialties. Branch out and get that "cross-func" thing going that you talk so much bout. Balance out salaries, especially for the employees who have been with the company/group for years. There are many people who have been promoted into positions with more responsibilities, but their pay doesn't match. People in lower-ranked positions can often be paid more.

Glu Mobile2015-01-22

"Run"

Current Employee - Concept Artist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were sometimes good snacks and some fun people to work with.

Cons

Corporate greed runs deep. As an employee you will suffer the consequence of leadership actions and get laid off. Don't worry. When you are either shut down or laid off, leadership will say, "we didn't get large bonuses this year." Their words, not mine.

Advice to Management

Focus on original content and not just a meat grinder or rehashing tired ideas.

Glu Mobile2019-04-15

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Environment Artist

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

People I worked with were some of the most talented and motivated professionals in the industry. They always stayed positive and worked extra hard despite the lack of leadership and clear direction from the management.

Cons

Salary was below industry average, but the company promised that benefits and bonuses will match, or even put it above other offers, but I only received one very small bonus and never got a raise during my time here. The management constantly shift strategies and never owns their decisions. This often caused lot of confusion and changes that needed to be made to accommodate their new visions. This of course slowed down the development process and wasted ton of resources. And to cope with these loses, they cut more jobs and closed down studios and ship those IPs to places like India to support the game. The studio I worked at started with over 150+ people, and after only a year, the number had shrunk down to 60 or so people. By the time the game was shipped, they closed down the entire studio and laid off everyone who worked on the game. Those people who were directly responsible for making all the wrong decisions got raises and are still comfortably sitting at their offices and planning a next move. If you are desperate for a job and was given an offer here, I'd say take it. But don't expect to stay for too long. Find something better as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

It doesn't take a genius to figure out when the whole celebrity game trend has jumped a shark with 2015. Instead of making 6 other exact same celeb "apps" with pathetic social gimmick to milk out money out of very narrow group of fans, try to make a good game that's fun to play. Glu has earn some very bad reputations among game industry professionals during this last few years. If you care about your product and the company, stop killing those talents that made you millions of dollars to replace with someone in India who is willing to work for 1/3 of the cost. Treat and respect your employees as part of your family. People are not numbers and stats.

Glu Mobile2017-01-12

"I had a good run"

Current Employee - Artist in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic work environment - Awesome and talented people

Cons

- Lower than average pay - Top management sucks

Advice to Management

- Know what you want instead of keep changing - Stop going for the whales, they are rare

Glu Mobile2013-05-06
  5. "Lead 3D Artist"

Current Employee - Lead 3D Artist in Hyderābād

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Here in Glu the work culture and Ethics are very good.

Cons

very less amount of new challanges.

Glu Mobile2019-11-14

"The Wrost HR, Management and co workers"

Current Employee - Game Artist in Mumbai

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Glu Hyderabad, the wrost management and he ever I meet any big companies like this.

Cons

Hidings contact time period, not equal behavior with everyone.

Advice to Management

Be fair. Do equal behavior with everyone.

Glu Mobile2017-04-07

"Overall It is a very good place"

Current Employee - Concept Artist in Moscow

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary compared to other companies Sense of security Great and friendly atmosphere Easy approachable management Several projects at one time. You can switch if you are bored to death with current one. Good work/life balance Free snacks/drinks Clean office Paid overtime

Cons

It is really difficult to influence on the project. Everything is decided by the head office. The main idea is: lets take what others did, "paint it red" and rename it. Almost no career improvement for 90% of employees. No support from company in growing as a professional.

Advice to Management

Overall good work. Give some space to your employees. They have some useful ideas too.

Glu Mobile2014-02-04