Glu Mobile Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Glu Mobile CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl
Pros
Cons
  • "Needs more communication between departments/studios(in 29 reviews)

• "Upper management don't know what they are doing(in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very happy!"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great team: the team I work on is like a family in many respects - team members genuinely care about each other and look out for each other, and legitimately enjoy spending time together at the office and at team events - Work/life balance: unlike some other places I've worked at, Glu does a good job of limiting overtime, getting people out of the office at a reasonable hour, and accommodating folks with families ...

Cons

- Office location: While the office space itself is nice, it's located in a neighborhood that can be a bit sketchy at times, particularly in the evening (not a huge con, but it's a factor to consider if you're taking mass transit)

Glu Mobile2019-01-11

"Run"

Current Employee - Concept Artist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were sometimes good snacks and some fun people to work with.

Cons

Corporate greed runs deep. As an employee you will suffer the consequence of leadership actions and get laid off. Don't worry. When you are either shut down or laid off, leadership will say, "we didn't get large bonuses this year." Their words, not mine.

Advice to Management

Focus on original content and not just a meat grinder or rehashing tired ideas.

Glu Mobile2019-04-15

"Poor Management, Failed Products, Unhappy Employees"

Former Employee - Senior UI/User Experience Designer in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Catered lunch, free snacks and drinks, company parties, decent corporate structure for benefits, PTO/vacation, etc.

Cons

Poor management that is disconnected from the development process and the consumer. It feels like a bunch of old men in a high tower deciding what they think mobile game users want (spoiler alert, they usually don't), deciding on unrealistic timeframes and expectations without consulting the devs and locking them into that deal by pitching it to shareholders so that there's nothing you can do but crunch to make it happen.

Advice to Management

Hire someone who actually understands the market so you can make products that aren't automatically doomed to fail. You've had to shut down most of the studios (including mine) and projects you've had since I've been there due to poor business sense. Consult with developers before committing to a project and pitching it to shareholders. When you undercut development time to make a project seem more attractive, you're...

Glu Mobile2019-04-01

"Fun place to work, but lack of career opportunities"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Catered lunch, cultural aspect has been improved tremendously over the past 2 years

Cons

Lack of upward mobility, compensation overall under market value

Glu Mobile2018-12-20
  5. "Glu is thriving"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative and fun work environment Great co workers Flexibility to work on cool projects

Cons

Pace can be a little bumpy but its always headed in the right direction

Advice to Management

Keep up with the transparency

Glu Mobile2018-09-06
  6. "Great team culture, brilliant co-workers, exciting work. Sky’s the limit"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time

Pros

This company is flat out awesome. They provide you the tools you need to succeed in your job. I’m a Engineer and can equate the work here as challenging, fun, and motivating as any other tech company. It’s a great atmosphere to learn and apply that knowledge. This company values their employees and it shows.

Cons

Non hat I can think of yet

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Glu Mobile2018-09-05
  7. "Glu is the greatest!"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time

Pros

Glu has come a long way from the experience of previous employees! I can definitely say it is an brand new Glu! I see great things ahead in the upcoming years! It is an open and collaborative environment with lots of opportunity for growth. Upper management cares very much about keeping a positive culture. Some perks include: -Lunch catered 5 days a week -Great work/life balance -fun work events once a week

Cons

Gaming culture is not for everyone. If you don't like being a part of a close knit team and collaborating with your coworkers, then it may not be a fit.

Glu Mobile2018-08-06

"A Brand New Glu"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

New office, new CEO, new culture.. I read a lot of the older reviews and was initially concerned... but it appears the new management has learned from past mistakes and is keen on putting employees first. This means a beautiful new office, catered lunches (yum!) 4 days a week, lots of cool perks... It's an exciting time to be at Glu, and the feeling seems to be mutual across the office...

Cons

The previous model of acquiring studios would naturally have some issues, especially if the prior investors didn't take care of their employees during the transition. From what I've learned during my tenure, they're hoping to move away from that model and build studios internally in the new HQ... the partnership with Disney being an example. The company has been around for a while and surely has some baggage, but this...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and please stay true to your pledged values and intentions. it will guarantee happy employees and a bright future for everyone!

Glu Mobile2018-02-25
  9. "Great Place with the Right Studio"

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time

Pros

The PlayFirst/GluPlay studio is the gem of the entire company.

Cons

Culture outside the PlayFirst/GluPlay studio was vastly different and more button-down.

Advice to Management

Ensure Glu Mobile staff are readily available to assist the most successful studio under their umbrella at anytime for any needs.

Glu Mobile2018-02-26

"Keep at it!"

Current Employee - Lead UI/User Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The current GLU leadership seems to legitimacy care about transparency and building a strong foundation based on trust and respect.

Cons

GLU is a game company intent on making money more than making fun games. Though making money is understandable, even desirable - many goals place the bottom line over player satisfaction, game creativity.

Advice to Management

Keep at it! Your open dialogue and transparency is vital for a healthy organization. We all want to make awesome products - let us do it and we will all win!

Glu Mobile2018-02-08