Glu Mobile Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Glu Mobile Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Sep 5, 2018

3.5
Glu Mobile  President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl
  1. "Great team culture, brilliant co-workers, exciting work. Sky’s the limit"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time

Pros

This company is flat out awesome. They provide you the tools you need to succeed in your job. I’m a Engineer and can equate the work here as challenging, fun, and motivating as any other tech company. It’s a great atmosphere to learn and apply that knowledge. This company values their employees and it shows.

Cons

Non hat I can think of yet

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Glu Mobile2018-09-05

"A good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Glu has been as good as any other place to work. Environment is nice. Compensation is nice. People are friendly. My schedule is manageable. I thrive on success and as long as Glu and I are both succeeding, I am happy.

Cons

My big concern is that people making fundamental decisions are not creatives and want to make informed, data supported, games. But in an industry as fast paced as mobile, that doesn't make a lot of sense. By the time you've cloned Clash of Clans, it's too late. You have to have new ideas. Glu also has the unique and dubious history of cloning it's OWN games, which makes zero sense to me. I remember they had two Tiny Tower clones back in the day.

Advice to Management

1. Make new games quickly, but build teams slowly. In mobile, you can make a prototype with 3-4 people. A prototype team doesn't need to be bigger than that. In fact, more people with dilute the core vision. Eventually, if the game is fun, you can move it into full production. 2. Stop cloning games. Especially your own games. Diner Dash is not a genre.

Glu Mobile2018-01-21

"Glu blows around with the wind"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They attempt to make their employees happy. - Just about every office is a smaller company that Glu acquired at some point, so each office has an individual culture and structure. - My office had free lunch every day, but most other offices don't.

Cons

- Lack of a real unifying vision, most past visions didn't make money and had to be abandoned. - The culture and working experience is very different depending on which office you happen to be in.

Advice to Management

Administration is too large, they spend too much of their time creating unnecessary policies around hiring, purchases, and going to conferences and implementing those policies.

Glu Mobile2017-10-15

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice environment nice people to work with.

Cons

Team get lay off so often.

Advice to Management

If you want to success, do your best to keep the talents.

Glu Mobile2017-09-10

"Former Software Engineer"

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was reasonable Interesting titles to work on No mandatory overtime Worked with a great team of talented, driven people

Cons

Management seems unsure of how to fix the sinking ship More than one title setup for failure - if you aren't on an already successful game, you should expect to be cut Games not given appropriate time to prove themselves

Advice to Management

You don't have to have a top 200 title on day 1 to be successful. Invest in growing a dedicated, loyal player base. These things take time and no amount of celebrity endorsement is going to change that. Also, don't put so much faith in people who over-promise.

Glu Mobile2017-03-16

"For software engineers, only work here unless you have to"

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very casual working environment. A lot of energetic and fun people. Occasionally the company provides free lunch.

Cons

Low compensation. For software engineers, it's underperforming by a lot compare to market value. Long working hours. No long term career path. People at Management level don't take responsibilities for making bad decisions. Ranging from unrealistic time estimates to making low quality games. High turn-over rate, people come and go all the time, at the end everyone is not the same staff to before on the team.

Advice to Management

Can't really think of any advice to give. It's a hard fix for management that is this bad. Stakeholders have taken the initiatives and got Glu a new CEO. I strongly suggest them continue doing so to other managers across all levels.

Glu Mobile2017-02-13

"Mismanagement at its finest"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on something more complex than match 3 games. Lunch every Wednesday. Breakfast every other Friday. Free drinks and snacks. Elaborate company parties.

Cons

Upper management has no idea what they are doing. They are all people that aren't gamers. They're just businessmen with MBA's from elite colleges. In the last two years, the company's issues have been solely due to bad management: from bad decisions made for what games to make, to bad project management, to not giving enough resources to the teams that are actually making money. In the end, the workers are the ones fired while management keeps their jobs and extremely high salaries.

Advice to Management

Learn how to make games. Actually be passionate about the games you make. Listen to your employees when all of them have the same complaints/insight.

Glu Mobile2017-01-25

"Great place to work !"

Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile for more than a year

Pros

- Nice work culture - Good work-life balance - Great place to use your ideas and enhance your skills

Cons

- Benefits are good but can be better.

Glu Mobile2016-10-24

"Negotiate hard when you start; raises are rare!"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My office has a great culture and there are a lot of people that are passionate about their jobs.

Cons

The company is cheap! If you are hired in at a management level, then you're set, otherwise you should expect to be stuck at the same level for 3-5 years regardless of talent and productivity.

Advice to Management

Stop being afraid to fire the leeches and start paying your valuable employees competitive salaries.

Glu Mobile2016-07-28

"Run"

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some interesting projects - Snacks are provided - It's a job that pays you. - International company

Cons

The company uses employees. They'll say that employees are the most important resource in the company, but their actions will contradict that. Unless you are desperate for a job, I'd look anywhere else. I eventually left of my own accord but know countless people that go laid off in hopes the stock might go up $0.01. The executive team is constantly cycled in and out because the CEO accepts no responsibility for bad decisions. Worst run company I've been a part of from an executive standpoint.

Advice to Management

Doubt they care, they ignore all advice given to them by the studios. The CEO is headstrong in how he wants to do things and won't listen to anyone.

Glu Mobile2016-07-14