Glu Mobile "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Glu Mobile Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 12 Nov 2019

3.9
Glu Mobile CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl
Pros
Cons
  • "Needs more communication between departments/studios(in 29 reviews)

• "Upper management don't know what they are doing(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Glu is thriving"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative and fun work environment Great co workers Flexibility to work on cool projects

Cons

Pace can be a little bumpy but its always headed in the right direction

Advice to Management

Keep up with the transparency

Glu Mobile2018-09-06

"A good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Glu has been as good as any other place to work. Environment is nice. Compensation is nice. People are friendly. My schedule is manageable. I thrive on success and as long as Glu and I are both succeeding, I am happy.

Cons

My big concern is that people making fundamental decisions are not creatives and want to make informed, data supported, games. But in an industry as fast paced as mobile, that doesn't make a lot of sense. By the time you've cloned Clash of Clans, it's too late. You have to have new ideas. Glu also has the unique and dubious history of cloning it's OWN games, which makes zero sense to me. I remember they had... two Tiny Tower clones back in the day.

Advice to Management

1. Make new games quickly, but build teams slowly. In mobile, you can make a prototype with 3-4 people. A prototype team doesn't need to be bigger than that. In fact, more people with dilute the core vision. Eventually, if the game is fun, you can move it into full production. 2. Stop cloning games. Especially your own games. Diner Dash is not a genre.

Glu Mobile2018-01-21
  3. "."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun company culture and work environment.

Cons

Upper management don't know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Stop being so stubborn!!

Glu Mobile2017-02-07

"Company getting better each week"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

The caliber of talent has improved dramatically since I started. Weak performers are being replaced by motivated, energetic, and talented hard workers. Very flexible work environment. Corporate communication is improving.

Cons

There is an overall lack of infrastructure but it is improving. The company is hiring the right people who are focusing on implementing the right infrastructure to support the company long term. Growth planning is non-existent which causes resource problems downstream.

Advice to Management

Quit with the conservative planning. Decide on a corporate "identity" and go with it.

Glu Mobile2015-02-03

"Good people in the trenches, horrible executive team."

I worked at Glu Mobile

Pros

The local studio was filled with amazing people, great work environment, good opportunities for growth, great work/life balance.

Cons

All the pros were hobbled by poor executive management always trying to boost the stock price instead of focusing on people and products. It's no wonder the stock price has languished below $6 for so long.

Advice to Management

If you focus on your people and in making great games, the stock price will follow. Unfortunately you're stuck in a rut and the company desperately needs new leadership.

Glu Mobile2014-12-23
  6. "Great Management = Rapid Turnaround"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've never worked with such talented, professional developers. The teams are carefully built to balance skills and personalities and the result is an incredible work environment. HR, IT, and our Office Coordinator are all amazing, making working here pleasant and engaging. The executive team makes smart decisions and are actively engaged with the teams, not only finding ways for the teams to get stronger but... consistently dedicated to becoming better managers and leaders themselves. There is an incredible amount of transparency regarding the success of the studio's titles - everyone knows how well the studio is performing financially, and there are many opportunities for the average employee to be a part of the ongoing effort to improve our operations. Finally, the studio has a balanced approach to business intelligence, using the incredible amount of data the studio gathers to hon the expertise of our devs without stifling creativity.

Cons

The review processes change every year and reviews are often carried out late and in a hurried manner. Career paths and positions are very poorly defined, leaving you stuck wondering how to advance or how to gauge your performance against a studio standard. While the leadership at the top is very strong, some teams and some disciplines suffer from weak leadership/management. All of this combines into a frustrating... experience for someone who is focused on their development and advancement. Finally, the working relationship with the head office in SF isn't always a positive one.

Advice to Management

Quality over quantity. Management does a great job at identifying the areas of improvement, but they tend to respond by adding more steps, rather than working to improve the quality of what they're already doing.

Glu Mobile2014-06-23

"I had a good run"

Current Employee - Artist in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic work environment - Awesome and talented people

Cons

- Lower than average pay - Top management sucks

Advice to Management

- Know what you want instead of keep changing - Stop going for the whales, they are rare

Glu Mobile2013-05-06
  8. "Excellent Gaming Company with lot of Opportunities"

Former Employee - QA Tester in Hyderābād

I worked at Glu Mobile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool Work Environment and career opportunities. You will enjoy working here.

Cons

Worked for 6 months. None I found

Advice to Management

They are doing good.

Glu Mobile2019-11-12

"Working here since 3 years. Glu has the best work culture"

Current Employee - QA Tester in Hyderābād

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Best work environment 2. No politics 3. Transparency between teams 4. People are really good and encouraging 5. Lots of stuff to learn and have lot of exposure to learn stuff 6. Free food and snacks 7. Cab facility for night shift 8. Managers are really cool and supportive 9. Get annual bonus every year

Cons

Don't see any, apart from the stretched work hours sometimes and weekend work. Hope this will be avoided eventually!

Advice to Management

You rock!!! Glu is the best forever!!!<3

Glu Mobile2019-09-25
  10. "Great work environment"

I have been working at Glu Mobile full-time

Pros

Great work environment talented people lot to learn lots of facilities

Cons

did not find any of it.

Glu Mobile2019-07-24