Glu Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Glu President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great here (in 25 reviews)

• Lots of free snacks, drinks and games to chew upon when you feel you want to take a break from work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what they are doing (in 13 reviews)

• c-suite leadership way under silicon valley standards (yes, it will affect you) (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere
    Fair pay
    Solid benefits
    Challenging products
    Lunch is provided once a week
    Opportunities to learn and grow new or old skills

Cons

Lunch is provided once a week.

2. "Great so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Glu for 6 months and it has been great so far. There are lots of great projects, learning opportunities, and people to work with. I look forward to the time ahead with the business's leadership and strategic growth.

Cons

There are slight inter-departmental communication roadblocks

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to bridge the gaps and silos making the One Glu the best Glu

"QA Tester"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

Great Culture and Great People that make you feel excited to work there.

Cons

Not the best at planning some projects.

"Company on the rebound!?!"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are smart and passionate about their work. There are a number of game and central teams that are talent dense that lay it on the line day in and day out. HR function is much improved even if a bit bloated.

Cons

Pendulum of control and C-Suite love has swung a bit too far toward game studios leaving central functions in eclipse.

Glu is generally quite lean, both a good and bad thing. Folks on less glamorous teams can get strung out fighting fires, legacy systems, and processes. Particularly accounting and IT.

Advice to Management

Focus on games and supporting game teams is certainly the right direction. Doing that to the exclusion of having a REAL and meaningful investment in central platforms is shortsighted and will leave you with... a collection of game studios no greater than the sum of its parts.

"Lots of potential"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

- Solid leadership and lots of talented and fun people to work with
    - Strong product portfolio and a promising pipeline of new products
    - Fun and collaborative environment
    - Growth opportunities within the company

Cons

- Benefits could be improved (e.g., 401k matching, cared lunch)

6. "nobody driving the company"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Top-50 developer
    2. Some talent there
    3. Good salary

Cons

1. Nobody is leading the company (no vision / stale vision)
    2. Nobody there is a platform expert (not enough talent density to make informed decisions)
    3. Company acts like it's still 2014 in terms of strategy and games and needs a harsh "wake up call" to turn around

Advice to Management

Consider quitting making games entirely because that is not your core competency and move to a publishing-only model like Scopely.

"Appearances can be deceiving."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office location (close to BART, in the heart of the financial district), good benefits, lots of perks, events/outings.

Cons

Disclaimer: Glu was/is a large organization and each studio is different -- my opinions reflect my time in a leadership role at the San Francisco HQ in 2014 (when Niccolo De Masi was CEO).

I can say, without any doubt, that joining Glu was the worst decision I ever made in my career.

Within a week of arriving, our president of studios was let go, and 2-3 months later, many central roles were also cut (with no head's up or attempt to shift people to other roles within the org) -- apparently, re-orgs were quite common at Glu (I don't know if that's still the case).

I also found Glu to be a highly political environment (departments within SF [but also studio vs. studio ] engaged in politics, jealousy, and backbiting) with non-existent leadership at the very top (De Masi was practically invisible; occasionally, he would make an appearance, usually at a monthly all-hands meeting). In person, he would come across as rude, arrogant, unfriendly. My interactions with studio heads themselves, however, were fairly positive.

Recruiting had a strong presence but there was no HR leadership in SF at the time, which made for quite an unwelcoming experience.

Advice to Management

Don't repeat the mistakes of the past -- please take care of your people. Welcome them and treat them with the respect/dignity they deserve. I wish Nick Earl the very best in turning things around!

"Great People, bad upper management."

Former Employee - Animator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Animator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lot of amazing and talented people to work with.
    - Projects can be fun to work on.
    - Great location
    - Fun social/holiday events every year.

Cons

- Extremely poor upper management. Don't be surprised if your studio gets closed down and your jobs sent overseas because of their poor business decisions.
    - Pay could be much better. Negotiate hard for a good wage if you're considering working here, because you wont get a raise. Do not expect to ever get a bonus, unless you happen to be at their "current" top preforming studio or if you're in the upper management.
    - Glu's current strategy seems to buy studios, collect their IP's, is said studio isn't profitable in a year, close studio and send the IP overseas to India or Russia. Rinse and repeat.

Advice to Management

- Invest more into supporting the studios and talent you do have, so that they can be successful. Bleeding talent you work hard to attract is never a good for business.
    - Become more innovative and stop fast following yourselves and other companies.

"Not that good"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environments and benefits.

Cons

very bed decisions on the high-ups, many good title failure.

"Great place to work overall - room for improvement"

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive pay (probably not as high as it would be at Google or Apple but solid compared to my peers at the same level)
    - Solid rewards for excellent work (bonus and base) - If you do good work you will be rewarded
    - Growth opportunities and autonomy
    - Lots of leadership development programs (coaching programs and ongoing manager training)
    - I love my team - smart, driven, real, fun, and supportive
    - I find that people are open to feedback at all levels (huge plus IMO)
    - New CEO who truly cares about people and growing a healthy, creative culture
    - Overall an excellent place to work and grow - I am constantly presented with opportunities to work on interesting projects, challenging projects

Cons

- Gaming industry is fast paced (which I love) and ever changing so if you are not adaptable to change then you might not be happy here
    - No free lunch
    - No pets at work
    - No 401k match
    - Maternity and paternity leave benefits could be more competitive for the bay area

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on leadership development and building a strong, competitive culture to attract awesome people. Glu has a lot of potential and I'm excited to be along for the ride.

Glu Response

Jun 27, 2017 – VP of HR

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I’m happy to hear that you have awesome teammates and think Glu has provided growth opportunities for you. And, you’re right about the gaming industry... More