Glu Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Glu President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great here (in 27 reviews)

• Interesting work, good people, lots of opportunities, nice SF location (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what they are doing (in 13 reviews)

• Pendulum of control and C-Suite love has swung a bit too far toward game studios leaving central functions in eclipse (in 7 reviews)

1. "Corporate control causing a loss in revenue and team drive"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team was great
    Everyone worked well together
    Room for growth and improvement
    Preferred to hire from within the studio

Cons

Many studios have been shut down, mine included.
    Very unstable based off revenue and studio profit.
    Decisions from hire ups would cause loss of revenue/player retention and studios would be blamed.

Advice to Management

Trust the people working for you, they know the product and players best.

Glu Response

Oct 17, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I acknowledge that we have been in a turnaround state, working through a lot of change. Even though this is the nature of gaming industry, we are working to pivot away... More

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice environment nice people to work with.

Cons

Team get lay off so often.

Advice to Management

If you want to success, do your best to keep the talents.

3. "nobody driving the company"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Top-50 developer
    2. Some talent there
    3. Good salary

Cons

1. Nobody is leading the company (no vision / stale vision)
    2. Nobody there is a platform expert (not enough talent density to make informed decisions)
    3. Company acts like it's still 2014 in terms of strategy and games and needs a harsh "wake up call" to turn around

Advice to Management

Consider quitting making games entirely because that is not your core competency and move to a publishing-only model like Scopely.

"Great People, bad upper management."

Former Employee - Animator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Animator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lot of amazing and talented people to work with.
    - Projects can be fun to work on.
    - Great location
    - Fun social/holiday events every year.

Cons

- Extremely poor upper management. Don't be surprised if your studio gets closed down and your jobs sent overseas because of their poor business decisions.
    - Pay could be much better. Negotiate hard for a good wage if you're considering working here, because you wont get a raise. Do not expect to ever get a bonus, unless you happen to be at their "current" top preforming studio or if you're in the upper management.
    - Glu's current strategy seems to buy studios, collect their IP's, is said studio isn't profitable in a year, close studio and send the IP overseas to India or Russia. Rinse and repeat.

Advice to Management

- Invest more into supporting the studios and talent you do have, so that they can be successful. Bleeding talent you work hard to attract is never a good for business.
    - Become more innovative and stop fast following yourselves and other companies.

"Ever-changing corporate strategy; solid central service groups"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Portland, OR

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR, User Experience, IT, and other central groups were always proactively involved in the success of the studios.

I interacted with many creative teams across several development groups at Glu. I was especially impressed by our collaborations with Glu Hyderabad and with Glu's User Experience Group.

Glu maintains ownership and stewardship of several solid franchises. These franchises continue to do well in the market, and that's a testament to the professionalism and skill of those development teams.

Cons

Corporate strategy changed 5 times in the 1.5 years that I was with Glu. Change is not equivalent to leadership, unfortunately.

User Acquisition strategy remains firmly in a Mobile 1.0 mindset.

Brain Trust reviews (a Pixar approach to in-house evaluation) do not scale well to mobile development.

I saw significant pettiness when projects were "peer-reviewed" across studios. This includes the responses I saw from our own studio when we reviewed games developed by other teams. None of that was healthy.

We did not have enough mobile game players among the mobile game makers. Therefore, there was a limited real understanding of the market direction and our audience's expectations.

I experienced a general unwillingness of upper and executive management to execute on tough personnel decisions until it was too late.

Advice to Management

Become better long-term strategists, rather than relying on short-term tactical pivots.

Understand why your attempts to follow your own successes failed.

Play the games you make, and play what your competitors are making right now.

Listen to the studios, versus simply what the studio managers are saying.

Glu Response

May 24, 2017 – CEO

We appreciate your feedback! Employee, even ex-employee feedback is a core priority of the leadership team at Glu. I am glad to hear that you have had a positive experience with some of the teams... More

6. "Was fun while it lasted"

I worked at Glu full-time

Pros

Great people, decent salary, very fun working environment

Cons

Constant layoffs and true lack of direction from the senior management levels in the company

"Former Software Engineer"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was reasonable
    Interesting titles to work on
    No mandatory overtime
    Worked with a great team of talented, driven people

Cons

Management seems unsure of how to fix the sinking ship
    More than one title setup for failure - if you aren't on an already successful game, you should expect to be cut
    Games not given appropriate time to prove themselves

Advice to Management

You don't have to have a top 200 title on day 1 to be successful. Invest in growing a dedicated, loyal player base. These things take time and no amount of celebrity endorsement is going to change that. Also, don't put so much faith in people who over-promise.

"For software engineers, only work here unless you have to"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very casual working environment.
    A lot of energetic and fun people.
    Occasionally the company provides free lunch.

Cons

Low compensation. For software engineers, it's underperforming by a lot compare to market value.
    Long working hours.
    No long term career path.
    People at Management level don't take responsibilities for making bad decisions. Ranging from unrealistic time estimates to making low quality games.
    High turn-over rate, people come and go all the time, at the end everyone is not the same staff to before on the team.

Advice to Management

Can't really think of any advice to give. It's a hard fix for management that is this bad. Stakeholders have taken the initiatives and got Glu a new CEO. I strongly suggest them continue doing so to other managers across all levels.

"Mismanagement at its finest"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on something more complex than match 3 games. Lunch every Wednesday. Breakfast every other Friday. Free drinks and snacks. Elaborate company parties.

Cons

Upper management has no idea what they are doing. They are all people that aren't gamers. They're just businessmen with MBA's from elite colleges. In the last two years, the company's issues have been solely due to bad management: from bad decisions made for what games to make, to bad project management, to not giving enough resources to the teams that are actually making money. In the end, the workers are the ones fired while management keeps their jobs and extremely high salaries.

Advice to Management

Learn how to make games. Actually be passionate about the games you make. Listen to your employees when all of them have the same complaints/insight.

"Nice place to work.... before getting let go"

I worked at Glu full-time

Pros

Great environment, terrific co-workers, pretty good benefits.

Cons

Upper management not sure what they are doing. Instead of reinvesting in teams, they make the easiest call and shut down the studio. They also farm out a lot of work to cheaper and inferior studios overseas.

Advice to Management

Don't give up on your studios because decisions you made were terrible. Take responsibility and reinvest in your people. I don't see a very bright future for Glu, unless they luck upon another Kim Kardashian.