Glu Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glu President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl
1 Rating

Pros
  • The work life balance is excellent (in 23 reviews)

• Most of the employees are good people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not sure what they are doing (in 11 reviews)

• Higher management has been making bad decisions (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Talent and Sense of Self"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Glu has a lot of great talent working for it. People with a lot of experience working in some of the hardest parts of the industry are there trying to make great games. Also, the company understands the point of their own existence. They aren't worried about their reputation as much as making games for users that will entertain them in the way they want.

Cons

Glu's benefits package is about average, from pay to time off. Certain things like PTO are strangely strict, stingy, and hard to deal with, while fridges are well-stocked with drinks and snacks.

Advice to Management

Lighten up on the PTO restrictions. People jump companies in the Bay Area all the time and to have almost no personal time for a few months after joining (or having to work through sick days because you are taking a vacation) is really bad for morale.

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Android Team) in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Android Team) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment Great people. No overtime work.

Cons

Salary is low comparing to other software companies.

"Great Environment"

Pros

Work culture is top notch

Cons

questionable decisions made by upper management

"Good experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The work life balance is excellent. There are some good snacks. working time is also very flexible (work from home is available)

Cons

Management team seems not to take serious on milestones. The deadline/release date always always change. The growth path is not very transparent.

"Designer"

Pros

Work with friendly people at a reasonable development pace on creative games.

Cons

Very corporate, almost sales culture, very focused on monetization.

"Great place to work !"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice work culture
    - Good work-life balance
    - Great place to use your ideas and enhance your skills

Cons

- Benefits are good but can be better.

"Great autonomy, until we were all fired"

Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since Glu Washington (GluW) was acquired as an independent developer and then given a fairly long leash, we felt in-control of our own destinies (for better and for worse). The local company was put together very well, and I enjoyed working with everyone else in the office. We moved at a pace that kept things exciting, but studio management also understood when schedules needed to shift to prevent excessive crunch time.

The studio had a lot of experienced talent in it, and it was fun and satisfying to work with people who really knew what they were doing.

Cons

After appearing to support the studio's current plans, Glu HQ somewhat-suddenly decided to lay us all off. At the time of the layoff, GluW's properties were still profitable; and while our development assets were being transitioned to a new studio, we were commended on our production quality.

I can't speak for their local contexts, but several other Glu studios were laid off around the same time.

Advice to Management

Keep up a generally hands-off approach, stop being so mercurial about whether or not you support a studio's vision. And for Christ's sake, give up on the insane "celebrity game" strategy. Continuing to chase social-followers as a revenue stream is just embarrassing.

"Indie Feel with Corporate Backing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Glu (Less than a year)

Pros

We have a small, agile team that is backed by the power of a large company. This means that we have the freedom to make a game we're excited about, without having to worry about our paychecks coming in. Everyone is passionate and experienced, and management cares about your career goals and how they can help you reach them.

Cons

Office is still fairly new, so we don't have some of the amenities of our own HQ or other nearby companies. The company as a whole is slightly behind industry standards on perks and tech solutions. Some members of management say they want everyone's input, but can be stubborn about not trying new things that the company has not already proven out.

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to your staff. Passionate workers who believe in their product will be much more likely to put up with any company-wide cons.

"Good company with opportunity"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company that is not shaken by the economy in terms of job security. I have been here through the good and bad and still had a job (considering I am a stellar employee). There are good chances of moving around within the company.

Cons

The reason for most co-workers have left for - below competitive pay. There are many similar companies in the area offering up to 40% larger salaries for the same positions.

Advice to Management

Be competitive.

"Very friendly and open culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined as a senior engineer in the team and worked at Glu for almost 2 years and was overall satisfied with the culture and openness of the top management who would reach out to employees and convey the goals for each quarter out on a timely basis. Good health benefits and other perks including lavish bonuses at times when the company is really doing well. Lots of free snacks, drinks and games to chew upon when you feel you want to take a break from work. Some people in certain departments would stay long and dedicated but most would honor their work-life balance. Merit-based promotions and raises. Overall a great learning environment for newbies and freshers.

Cons

Intolerance for mistakes. Even a slight one could make you walk out of doors. Grumpy bosses who think they are the only authority and would not hesitate to shout at people even in meetings. Too much unnecessary power assumed by management and lots of unwanted meetings would take place even to discuss trivial things which would be a complete waste of time. HR slow in responding and things can take a long time to materialize even if its important to you simply because it wasn't important to them, so less caring. Managers holding certain positions can make a big fuss out of ordinary questions or situations and would be reluctant to share knowledge because they think that could endanger their hold on power. Control is what they want to assume even if it appears unreal or unnecessary. And layoff rounds would occur once every six months.

Advice to Management

Mid-tier management is something that needs a drastic makeover or training on how to manage their people better and provide some autonomy in jobs to those who are held responsible for the same. In other words autonomy and responsibilities are highly imbalanced and top management should take steps to align these across departments.