Glu Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glu President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great here (in 25 reviews)

• Lots of free snacks, drinks and games to chew upon when you feel you want to take a break from work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what they are doing (in 13 reviews)

• People at Management level don't take responsibilities for making bad decisions (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere
    Fair pay
    Solid benefits
    Challenging products
    Lunch is provided once a week
    Opportunities to learn and grow new or old skills

Cons

Lunch is provided once a week.

"probably,this is the first review of glu mobile on the site...."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I like the friendly working environment.

Cons

Maybe, the falling of stock price.....
    But to me, this is not very important, since the amount of our shares are quite limited. :-)

Advice to Management

I think they are very nice, I like the senior managers that I once met.

3. "Get Glued"

Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Glu has great people, great benefits and competitive salaries. The large scale operation somehow avoids the bureaucracy and red tape that is found in so many corporate environments. Glu is a fun place to be.

Cons

Communication between employees and direct senior management could be improved. I find that concerns are often brought to my attention too late to take corrective action. There is a lot of talent here whose full talent has not been realized. Vision is lacking in many aspects.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your word and be honest in communication. Telling the company we are financially sound and then laying people off 3 weeks later didn't win you any accolades. Now people are just walking on eggshells wondering if the information we receive is trustworthy. We strive to make Glu a great company as much as you do, please be forthright.

"Great place to be if you love mobile games"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

Glu is full of talented people that are fun to work with, and the level of talent continues to increase as many skilled professionals are joining Glu with prior mobile free-to-play experience. Company puts out great games, and is focused on deepening f2p mechanics. Exciting time to be here, as there's tons of room to innovate, and individuals are able to make a big impact.

Cons

SF office has stunning views, but layout is a bit old school. Good news is the company is moving to a cool new space in the city soon.

Advice to Management

Be aggressive, and stay focused. Glu has a great opportunity to become one of the premier mobile gaming companies in the world.

5. "Good to great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader. SF location great. Company knows how to pivot during difficult times. New executive team has true industry leading expertise and runs circles around prior folks.

Cons

Pivoting during difficult times can be distracting for teams. Had inefficient studios in Brazil and Kirkland who couldn't learn how to make games that were stand alone profitable. Brazil had to be shut down and Kirkland seriously reduced to cross the chasm.

Advice to Management

Have all hands meetings with multi locations present. Explain to teams the need for stand alone studios needing to be stand alone self sufficient. Keep improving the talent hiring.

6. "The Little Engine that WILL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top quality studio team plus all the right monetization experts to make Glu the leader in mobile gaming. The exec team has the best relationships with each of the platforms. The location within San Francisco is tops as close to all public trans.

Cons

If you are looking for a job to coast, then look elsewhere. Those who perform are definately rewarded and those who do not are let go.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! By rewarding the performers and letting go of the underperformers, you have created a culture where one is judge on performance.

7. "I am proud to say I work at Glu."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Down-to-earth and fun people. Satisfying work with a good manager. Fun events, great new office space. I feel there is honest and open communication about the business and where we are going.

Cons

Sometimes it does feel there are still growing pains, but things are looking up. I do feel management is recognizing how important it is to focus on an improved company culture and making sure employees feel valued.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your employees (rewards, promotions) and continue sharing company updates.

8. "Interesting challenges and fantastic team members"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

- High degree of ownership in personal tasks and team projects
    - High potential to learn mobile and free-to-play principles
    - Open, fun culture and skilled team members
    - Good collaboration across teams and disciplines
    - Lot of potential for future success
    - Supportive and helpful management

Cons

- Not proven as an industry leader yet; still contender status
    - Short-term friction between some new central teams and dev teams

9. "Autonomy, Transparency, and Candor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio in Bellevue is a great place to work. Lots of opportunity for ownership. Management listens to feedback and often acts on it. Good transparency into how the studio and projects are doing. Good work-life-balance.

Any-one is invited to pitch games, are taken seriously, and given concrete feedback on how to improve.

Cons

Can be very fast-paced and intense at times. Teams can run lean, and there is an need for more product managers.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I'd like to see more training opportunities, and the need for product managers addressed.

"Amazing Washington studio; the usual corporate stuff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the most talented teams I've worked with, technically, artistically, and design-wise. Processes are maturing rapidly, and are constantly under review. Relatively ego-less local senior management team, but a real press to make the highest-quality games we can, with emphasis on input from the whole team. Great HR and IT support, competitive salary and benefits, a really fun workplace with regular events and active regular meetings to talk about the industry, design, and software.

Cons

Corporate-dictated software architecture which is the same for all, rather than being matched to the needs of the game. Developers are hamstrung by the supplied framework's capabilities, and by occasional bugs or features which change out from under the game in development without warning. This stops development in its tracks, sometimes for weeks, while solutions are worked out. And that raises stress, diverts attention from the game itself, and requires that features are sacrificed to meet schedules.

Advice to Management

Re-orient Gluon to make it a set of reusable components to speed development. The current one-design-fits-all approach is the single biggest threat to success of new games.