Glu Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glu President and CEO Nick Earl
Nick Earl

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great here (in 25 reviews)

• Lots of free snacks, drinks and games to chew upon when you feel you want to take a break from work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no idea what they are doing (in 13 reviews)

• People at Management level don't take responsibilities for making bad decisions (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Glu full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere
    Fair pay
    Solid benefits
    Challenging products
    Lunch is provided once a week
    Opportunities to learn and grow new or old skills

Cons

Lunch is provided once a week.

2. "Not that good"

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environments and benefits.

Cons

very bed decisions on the high-ups, many good title failure.

3. "Great People, bad upper management."

Former Employee - Animator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Animator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lot of amazing and talented people to work with.
    - Projects can be fun to work on.
    - Great location
    - Fun social/holiday events every year.

Cons

- Extremely poor upper management. Don't be surprised if your studio gets closed down and your jobs sent overseas because of their poor business decisions.
    - Pay could be much better. Negotiate hard for a good wage if you're considering working here, because you wont get a raise. Do not expect to ever get a bonus, unless you happen to be at their "current" top preforming studio or if you're in the upper management.
    - Glu's current strategy seems to buy studios, collect their IP's, is said studio isn't profitable in a year, close studio and send the IP overseas to India or Russia. Rinse and repeat.

Advice to Management

- Invest more into supporting the studios and talent you do have, so that they can be successful. Bleeding talent you work hard to attract is never a good for business.
    - Become more innovative and stop fast following yourselves and other companies.

4. "Senior DevOps Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good workflow and good mates

Cons

not very good team communication

5. "Game Designer"

Former Employee - Lead Game Designer
    Former Employee - Lead Game Designer

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok corporate company to work for, some nice perks. Can be a relaxing environment, unlike console game development. Benefits and 401k is just ok, not great.

Cons

Leadership is always shifting, with a focus on San Fran HQ while sacrificing other satellite studios to cut cost and temporarily shore up stock prices. HR is not your friend, report to them at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to make fun and engaging games along with ones that monetize. After creating and giving satellite studios a good start, make sure they have good management (check in on the management of the studio) and find a way to prolong the life of those studios so they in turn can creative good products for the company. If you shut down studios as fast as you open them, or install bad leadership, the turn over rate will be to high to produce a good game. Try to cut out the cancer without killing the patient.

"Great place to work overall - room for improvement"

I have been working at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive pay (probably not as high as it would be at Google or Apple but solid compared to my peers at the same level)
    - Solid rewards for excellent work (bonus and base) - If you do good work you will be rewarded
    - Growth opportunities and autonomy
    - Lots of leadership development programs (coaching programs and ongoing manager training)
    - I love my team - smart, driven, real, fun, and supportive
    - I find that people are open to feedback at all levels (huge plus IMO)
    - New CEO who truly cares about people and growing a healthy, creative culture
    - Overall an excellent place to work and grow - I am constantly presented with opportunities to work on interesting projects, challenging projects

Cons

- Gaming industry is fast paced (which I love) and ever changing so if you are not adaptable to change then you might not be happy here
    - No free lunch
    - No pets at work
    - No 401k match
    - Maternity and paternity leave benefits could be more competitive for the bay area

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on leadership development and building a strong, competitive culture to attract awesome people. Glu has a lot of potential and I'm excited to be along for the ride.

"Ever-changing corporate strategy; solid central service groups"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Portland, OR

I worked at Glu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HR, User Experience, IT, and other central groups were always proactively involved in the success of the studios.

I interacted with many creative teams across several development groups at Glu. I was especially impressed by our collaborations with Glu Hyderabad and with Glu's User Experience Group.

Glu maintains ownership and stewardship of several solid franchises. These franchises continue to do well in the market, and that's a testament to the professionalism and skill of those development teams.

Cons

Corporate strategy changed 5 times in the 1.5 years that I was with Glu. Change is not equivalent to leadership, unfortunately.

User Acquisition strategy remains firmly in a Mobile 1.0 mindset.

Brain Trust reviews (a Pixar approach to in-house evaluation) do not scale well to mobile development.

I saw significant pettiness when projects were "peer-reviewed" across studios. This includes the responses I saw from our own studio when we reviewed games developed by other teams. None of that was healthy.

We did not have enough mobile game players among the mobile game makers. Therefore, there was a limited real understanding of the market direction and our audience's expectations.

I experienced a general unwillingness of upper and executive management to execute on tough personnel decisions until it was too late.

Advice to Management

Become better long-term strategists, rather than relying on short-term tactical pivots.

Understand why your attempts to follow your own successes failed.

Play the games you make, and play what your competitors are making right now.

Listen to the studios, versus simply what the studio managers are saying.

Glu Response

May 24, 2017 – CEO

We appreciate your feedback! Employee, even ex-employee feedback is a core priority of the leadership team at Glu. I am glad to hear that you have had a positive experience with some of the teams ... More

"Studios were closed due to no fault of their own."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Glu full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great. The studio culture is wonderful. Flexible work hours and environment.

Cons

Betting the company's success on the free-to-play market is risky at best. Studios are pigeon-holed into specific game genres regardless of the teams' skills, experience, and knowledge. Upper management and corporate teams treat individual studios as disposable assets. If the business plan from corporate don't work out, the studios get shut down while the corporate teams move on to their next poorly-thought-out plans.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like disposable items. Trust the developers who have been doing their jobs in the game industry longer than you've been out of school.

"Fun, fast-paced, and friendly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work/life balance is great here.
    - Monday bagel, Wednesday snacks, Friday donuts
    - Pays for your Caltrain pass
    - Great coworkers (so far)
    - Tons of arcade games
    - Free snacks

Cons

- Benefits are not completely paid for and does not cover much
    - No catered lunches/dinners

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the growth of your employees to see a good payout.

"I like Glu Mobile."

Current Employee - Animator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Animator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good location, good projects, good team spirit

Cons

Everything that people have complained about is true - but it's true of every entertainment company I've worked at (I've been in the industry 10+ years) - If your team doesn't succeed, you'll probably be laid off. Is that the fault of the team management? Yup. The fault of the CEO? Yup. Especially of the recently departed CEO who made big bets on celebrities long after they lost their ability to attract users.

On the other hand, when you do succeed, Glu Mobile's management gets out of your way.

Glu Response

Apr 20, 2017 – HR @ Glu

Hello and thank you for your review! As Glu creates a sustainable studio strategy, your feedback is extremely valuable. While we're happy to hear that you have awesome teammates at your studio, the ... More