Glynlyon Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time

Pros

I love the culture around the Chandler office. Everyone is kind and we all work together for a common goal. The salaries are about average or a little above average. The benefits are excellent, but are pricier than anywhere else I've ever worked unless you choose the high deductible plan. There have been a lot of changes recently, but I think we are moving in a good direction.

Cons

I don't have any negative feedback. The two years that I have worked for Glynlyon have been great!

"Human Resources Assistant"

Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible position, dress code was very lenient, employees were very nice on a personal level once you got to know everyone. Company seems to do good work for schools implementing their software. Company was bought in January 2016 and things are changing, but ever so slowly. Good place to start, not a good place to grow.

Cons

Part time positions are few and are not eligible for benefits, including small bonus at end of year although full time employees who were there less than a month were eligible. Not much room to grow from and HR Assistant. Health benefits are expensive and the 401K match is 5 cents on the dollar!! LOTS and LOTS of turnaround. No communication throughout company and HR doesn't try to make it better.

Advice to Management

Communicate, Trust and Grow. The CEO needs to be more involved with other departments not just sales. HR is not valued here at all. Need a better culture at Glynlyon, get some help. Involve your employees, introduce other departments to each other. Promote within the company, talk to your employees. I repeat...Change the culture.

"Not worth the stress...you can find something better"

Former Employee - Sales in Nisswa, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Nisswa, MN

Pros

Flexible schedule, great co-workers, good product, good location, nice office space

Cons

There were always surprise firings and a complete lack of job security. Top management lives in separate parts of the country and doesn't care to get to know it's employees. Whenever they came into town, you were afraid of another round of firings which is what usually happened. They didn't listen to their employees or what those on the front lines with customers had to say.

"Stay away!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nisswa, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nisswa, MN

Pros

The Customers you work with are GREAT!

Cons

The Company does not respect the employees. Lots of changes and the company has let go of a lot of great employees.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued.

"Run away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees that could be developed into company leaders

Cons

Micromanaging
    No skills development
    No advancement opportunities
    Management values sales over quality
    Owner parks sports car in the warehouse- super demotivating
    Unrealistic deadlines
    No enough staff
    Low salary, poor benefits that are expensive
    Rapid firing with no internal development
    Reactionary- no strategic planning, or, if there is one, not communicated with staff

Advice to Management

Update outdated technology systems, hire more people to ensure a quality product, have a clear vision- stop chasing so many deadends, communicate more, develop existing employees, treat professionals as professionals

"Turn and Burn Company"

Former Employee - XML Expert in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - XML Expert in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot at Glynlyon. It was my first development job and I wore all the hats a developer would wear throughout the development process; from authoring to testing I did it all. It's a great place to pick up any experience you need for future development jobs.

Cons

Where to start...There were a lot of things that this company had wrong with it. For one, they added four projects on my team with only three months left in the development cycle; and that was after my manager had already taken on more than our team of five could handle (that being 13 full projects, most of which had to be done by May 4th and started in January). Did I mention that the team I was on only had two coders on it, myself included? Secondly, the time expectations were ridiculous; I worked between 43 and 45 hours a week for three months and they were still asking for more! They claim that the work they are doing is "reaching a kid's hands" and that they take pride in "creating a better future for our youth" but the development lead sat there and told my team, to our faces, that the bottom line was turning a profit. I understand that, but that's the very last thing I want leadership telling me!

Advice to Management

Take on only what your team can manage. Focus on either quality or quantity and make it EXTREMELY clear which you want, because it can never be both; not at less than $15 per hour. You want to focus on projects rather than time? Hire your coders on a project basis, not an hourly basis (i.e. pay the per project they finish, not per hour); they at least know what to expect from the start that way. Lastly, don't kid yourselves. 16 active projects for a team of 5 is far too many. Foresight keeps a company going, not hindsight.

"Don't value employees"

Former Employee - Project Editor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Editor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was generally fun and there were some good opportunities to be creative. There were some great people to work with as well. People generally collaborated well across teams.

Cons

The pay was really low and they expected insane amounts of overtime. Although they promised comp. time, once the work was done they didn't fulfill their end of the bargain. They also have a habit of laying off most of their production staff every few years to cut costs. Not great job security.

Advice to Management

Value your employees a bit more. Pay them what they're worth and keep your promises.

"Contract-to-Hire Designer"

Former Employee - Layout Editor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Layout Editor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Glynlyon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Progressive environment (for the most part), people seem generally happy to be working there. Relatively flexible with schedules & other requirements.

Cons

Still a corporate mentality—do this because that's how things are done. I saw so much opportunity for growth and so little desire on the company's behalf to progress.

Advice to Management

Even your entry-level employees may have some valuable insight. Spend time listening to & nurturing them.

10. "developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time

Pros

Small company with a big scope of learning

Cons

it was a good company

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Good company, bad benefit package"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Glynlyon full-time

Pros

Doing meaningful work for K-12 education is very rewarding.
    Flexible schedules.
    Good work/life balance.
    Management is starting to try to do more for the employees such as free coffee finally, donuts now and then, and we now have a sink to use at the coffee bar.
    Some managers/leaders are fantastic and really support their people.

Cons

Terrible benefits package. For example, they say they do a 5% match on 401K, but this is not based on your salary, but rather a measly 5% match on your portion. So if you put in $100, they match $5.
    Medical benefits are outrageous. If you plan to cover your family, you should plan on more than $400 each paycheck coming out.
    Salaries are all over the map. There can literally be a $70k difference in annual salary for people with the same job title. Some say they're underpaid, others are doing great.
    High turnover, namely due to the above mentioned benefits.
    Standard vacation package is a whopping 5 days for your first year.

Advice to Management

Please work on the benefits and continue to create a rewarding culture. Things are moving in the right direction, but be keenly aware of what your competition is offering to avoid high turnover.