GoDaddy Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great benefits and opportunities to progress in your career (in 93 reviews)

• Good benefits and a variety of available shifts (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • They now have focused more on revenue from the website and less on their call center (in 47 reviews)

• Upper management has lost site of what Dr (in 24 reviews)

"Toxic company culture"

I worked at GoDaddy full-time

Pros

Typical tech industry perks include snacks, beverages and open floor plan to promote collaboration.

Cons

Unfortunately, GoDaddy is very behind the times when it comes to managing gender balance and diversity in the workplace. So many subtle and not-so-subtle aspects of the culture and brand are meant to appeal to archaic notions of masculinity, while women are treated as a quota that the company needs to fill. GoDaddy brags about it's "numbers" (percentage of female workforce) in the press, but doesn't invest the energy into evolving their company culture to be more inclusive of women.

As a woman, it is a constant battle just to be taken seriously at GoDaddy. Racial and ethnic discrimination are also issues that go un-checked by HR, even when these problems are reported through the correct channels. More than once I tried to report inappropriate behavior and misconduct, and each time these incidents were casually dismissed.

I enjoyed the projects that I worked on, but ultimately the work environment became so unbearable that I had to leave. I cannot in good conscience recommend this company to prospective candidates.

Advice to Management

The entire workforce could really benefit from diversity training, starting with executive leadership.

Mar 23, 2017 – VP-Engagement.Inclusion

Thank you for the feedback. One thing that is great about our culture is that we take employee feedback very seriously. I want to share some of the things we have done to improve our culture for all ... More

"Customer Consultation & Care Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Consultation & Care Representative in Hiawatha, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Consultation & Care Representative in Hiawatha, IA

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People don't care here, there is always music blasting in the background.

Cons

The parking lot is always way too full, They really seem like they don't care about people I got sick with Kidney Disease and nobody from there contacted me in the hospital or showed any kind of compassion when I returned. I was then fired 3 months after returning for not hitting a quota. only availbe shifts are night shifts(mostly overnight), working holidays, customers yelling at you, everything is always broken

Advice to Management

PIPs are terrible for people who just got back from a debilitating illness, you should really give someone some slack if they're going through something so terrible. you should be ashamed.

Feb 6, 2017 – Customer Care Operations Director

Thank you for your feedback. Our Hiawatha location has recently completed a great renovation and, during that time, we resurfaced a good deal of our parking lot. Beyond that, we've got a good deal of ... More

3. "GoDaddy Data Center Contractor"

Former Contractor - Data Center Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Contractor - Data Center Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Food
    3 1/2 days off
    Available OT
    Depending on location, being left completely alone

Cons

12 hour shifts
    Contractor vs. Full-time employee
    NONE. ZERO. Guidance.
    Everyone has an "I hate customers/I have people" attitude.
    Down time
    Getting "bird dogged" during down time
    The "HELP" resources are convoluted/redundant/non-existant
    Training was a joke

5. "Customer Development Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits start from day one and three weeks vacation your first year.

Cons

Micro-managed to the nth degree. If you get sick without accrued sick time you are given a FINAL written warning. You cannot use your accrued vacation time to cover sick time. You must schedule vacation time three weeks in advance leaving NO room for emergencies. Your sick time DECREASES with every single minute for minute you may punch in late to work or back from lunch or early for any given reason. If you miss your numbers in the same 12 month period of a FINAL written warning (regardless of what the warning or circumstances are) you are out the door. And your metrics are all in play against you. You might make your numbers, but if you spent one minuted too long in the bathroom and your "phone time" is less than 96% you will NOT get paid any bonus/commission you may have earned. The turnover there is unbelievable. Then...if you miss your numbers twice in a 12 month period and are fired, they deny you unemployment using the excuse that you were able to make the numbers before so now, you are just not trying or interested in making them. All a LOAD OF CRAP! Very unfair, unreasonable and unattractive company to work for. I do NOT recommend GoDaddy.

GoDaddy doesn't care one iota for its customers, either. It's all a guise and completely about what else they can sell to the customers. The outbound calls are made on the muse that they are checking in on the customer. But the truth is it is only an excuse to try to sell them something else. The entire purpose of the department is to SELL, SELL, SELL. No genuine concern for employees or customers.

Advice to Management

See above!

Feb 13, 2017 – Sr. Mgr CDT

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve the culture and employee/customer experience. Regarding sick time, we offer a generous time off plan where in the first year you can ... More

"If it's not sales, they don't care"

Current Employee - Hosting Support in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Hosting Support in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Saying you work at GoDaddy makes you sound impressive to people

Cons

- Constant lies from management, or neglecting to inform of important things
    - Last minute schedule changes (most people didn't know they were working Labor Day until the day before, even though schedules are put out a month in advance)
    - Management doesn't care at all about you if you don't make sales
    - Management doesn't help you advance your career unless you sell (even to get to technical departments)
    - Most products and issues are not well documented
    - Management is given free reign over what they get to judge you on to keep your job
    - Unless it is making sales, the company will not repair or update anything
    - Almost everything you will or have been told is marketing speak for something much worse
    - Almost all changes are made by people who do not work on the systems they are changing

TL;DR: If it isn't money, the company doesn't care or want you to care about it, even if your're tech support. If you can't sell a solution to an issue, don't help them.

Advice to Management

Either invest the money to fix your products so you don't need tech support, or stop trying to turn your tech support into sales reps.

Jan 30, 2017 – Hosting Support Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and giving us the ability to respond. Communication is something that we are always working on with our leadership staff. We strive to communicate ... More

"Almost worth it..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to GoDaddy 3 years ago based on the new vision and excitement of making GoDaddy a true technology company.
    Many new people have been hired
    Blake Irving is a cool guy, seriously one of the best.

Cons

No Career Longevity- you have 2 years to work here then find an exit plan.
    The culture changed from people caring about their jobs and building a career at GoDaddy.com to people that come from Amazon, Microsoft, Yahoo who don't fit in after 2 years.
    Poor leadership at the GM level - we had a individual that couldn't make a decision out of a paper sack. He has been let go but the damage remains.
    Terrible mid level leadership that promotes an in-crowd clique. We did our mid year reviews and several got promotions for simply being in the cool club. This is nothing new but it is exaggerated here at GoDaddy.
    No real corporate product vision, seriously due to poor leadership at the highest levels of product GoDaddy finds itself adrift currently with products that lack focus and what the heck is a "Pro" customer anyway??

Advice to Management

Work in new middle managers at the director level that can grow and mentor employees giving them an actual career path.
    Go back to GoDaddy's fun roots, it doesn't exist anymore

"Go you...no really, go."

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team was great. By team I mean my immediate peers. Lots of potential overtime if you need it. Good benefits. Laid back environment. Good pay.

Cons

Supervisor level and up is disconnected from the front lines. If you're someone who can sell without help you'll love it. If you've always avoided sales and expect to learn that skill and grow in it don't waste your time. Coaching consists of sage advice such as "ask more questions" and drawing stupid graphs on white boards. You'll be expected to provide exceptional service to the customer, but at the end of the days that is not at all what matters. The almighty dollar is king and if you don't jump on board with that notion you'll be be gone fairly quick. Do just enough to make the customer go away, but make sure you sell them something before they do. Scare tactics commonplace to "help" the customer improve their business. The general customer you speak with has been conditioned to think email is free in general. That said the majority of calls are email password resets and walking customers through fixing email client issues. The technically challenged can waste half to even a full hour of your time because they don't know what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Don't place someone on a pip and then leave them rotting without true guidance. If you agree a pip was not completed appropriately then the do over should count as pip 1 not 2. I felt very blessed to start working for your company, but the lip service does no good for your agents or customers. Sell 425 or get the hell out can really cause every day to be a living hell.

Dec 19, 2016 – Vice President Customer Care

Thank you for your feedback both in things you appreciated and things you think we can improve on. We continually work to strike the right balance and to be quite honest very few people end up or ... More

"Churn and burn!!"

Former Employee - Inbound Tech Support and Sales in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Inbound Tech Support and Sales in Tempe, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, subsidized meals, work out facilities

Cons

Constant turn over, high pressure sales tatics, don't care about customers, poor coordination between departments on product release and policy changes. Difficult to resolve customer issues due to lack of support from management. Ever changing sales metrics.

Advice to Management

Who ever responds to these reviews is totally out of touch with what it is really like to work in sales. Try listening to top sales calls without cringing on reps treatment of customers.

Nov 28, 2016 – Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please allow me to address a few of your concerns. - As far as those of us who respond to these emails being out of touch. Most of us ... More

"Was hired and whole team laid off within less than a year"

Former Employee - Web Designer II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Web Designer II in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good and started first day, which is great because they wouldn't have hired me for long enough to use them otherwise!

Cons

Basically exactly what another reviewer from October said, to an exact T.
    Multiple rounds of layoffs, of which I was a part, so we could outsource a big chunk of the department's work to South America.... sure felt valued after that.

The only reason I am writing this review is because GoDaddy's response to another reviewer is flat out WRONG and full of FALSE information! Don't lie to people... admit you messed up in this department. NO ONE should have to work for the broken mess that is "Professional Web Services"... just admit you messed up, because you did.

Let's pick apart GoDaddy's response to the above reviewer, because I literally cannot believe they have the gall to post this right now:

"In response to changes in the website industry and best practices we changed how we're structured and how we can use creativity to better serve our customers."
    There are no changes in the website industry that require you to lay off a bunch of employees and outsource jobs to South America. Sorry, but try to invest in your employees and not be cheap. We were beyond good enough.

"We now leverage industry standard themes for WordPress and Woo vs. creating our own from scratch, which impacted the team that used to build these for us."
    THIS IS A FLAT OUT LIE. GoDaddy NEVER had their own themes created from scratch. They used an existing framework (not including the name though I would like to) to create Child Themes that they basically skinned to look pretty, but were terrible for the end user experience... but all the same the GoDaddy responder here clearly has no idea how the system even worked... That framework was awful and it's good you aren't using it anymore, but custom themes from scratch? That never happened.

"We encouraged all impacted to consider other roles in the department and worked to place all interested."
    Not true. We were told we could take a job paying significantly less, or apply to other positions we never heard back from that would have paid the same. Basically there was no choice for us. No one that was laid off is still there because you did not make it possible.

"Our new approach has been better for customers as updates and support is present to keep sites performing, vs. having to attempt to support our own themes in a world of ever changing plugins and apps."
    Also a lie! All you would have had to do is update the framework, the theme (again, not naming the one specifically) you used for everything, to keep your own "themes" (child themes) up-to-date. It is NOT THAT HARD - but you never did ask anyone who actually knew before you laid them all off, did you?

"We do strive to be creative and scrappy, and leverage the best technology when it comes to building sites that are awesome for our customers and help them active their objectives online."
    LOL "best technology".... I'm sorry but if GoDaddy cared for PWS about best technology, they actually would have hired expensive senior developers to build a custom framework from scratch so they could be selling their own product instead of selling a million copies of Genesis, that were probably not all correctly licensed in the first place now that I think about it...

"Our creativity is displayed in the current and future functionality we're able to bring to customers site, combined with great design, that we never could before."
    This doesn't even make sense. How can you have any more creativity or functionality than before? You are still using themes. Also you laid off all the higher level creatives - your remaining staff do not even have design degrees for the most part! They are cheap hourly labor who know how to press the right buttons in WordPress. Shame on you GoDaddy. I literally never worked for a company that sold WORSE quality websites to people as you do. Past and future, anyone reading this - pay a freelancer or a web dev company, not the WordPress sweatshop that is PWS.

"We have launched new career paths and teams involving higher degrees of web technical skills, and now feature career banding and training for our teams to be able to build these skills."
    LOL you LITERALLY laid off the most technically advanced (though I'm sure you just saw us as expensive) people in the department. Your department head isn't a designer OR developer and doesn't know the first thing about either topic. So unless you've hired a bunch of new highly skilled people, which I know you haven't since I watch job listings, you are straight up lying through your teeth right now.

Moral of the story - DON'T DO IT! I was offered 2 other jobs at the same time as my position with GoDaddy, and I took the job with GoDaddy for the benefits and perceived stability. It was literally my worst "professional" working experience of my career. This department is a train wreck. And no you will not learn and grow - the only thing you will learn is how to make absolutely awful sites and convince clients that this is ok. Just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying and perpetuating the myth that this was ok. It is not and has never been ok to treat employees like this. I wasn't even going to write a review until I read the lies written by the responder from GoDaddy and it made my blood boil. You are still awful and I still never mattered, 4 months after I no longer work there anymore. Good. Riddance.

Nov 21, 2016 – VP, Customer Contact Strategy

Thanks for reaching out, let's clear up some confusion that should be helpful. There has been no outsourcing of our current team's website building roles to South America, rather this has been pure ... More

"Disgusting Fall From Grace"

Pros

Health benefits and clean bathrooms.

Cons

Everything other than health benefits. They're going to take you on a tour of a facility you wont work in, let you ride down a slide, put you through a fairytale training then shoot you out into the workforce where the negative attrition is currently 50%. If you make it 6 months, #blessed.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to care when you don't care.

Nov 17, 2016 – Director

Thank you for sharing your personal insights. We value and appreciate your time to provide us with opportunities to improve. One of our core values is to Be Extraordinary and it’s a requirement ... More