GoDaddy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great benefits and opportunities to progress in your career (in 98 reviews)

• Good benefits and a variety of available shifts (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • They now have focused more on revenue from the website and less on their call center (in 47 reviews)

• Upper management has lost site of what Dr (in 24 reviews)

1. "Hosting Sales / Support"

Former Employee - Hosting Support in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Hosting Support in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Make a solid effort to make everything you need available to you at work
    Many departments to move into (if you can sell)

Cons

Knowledge and Accountability fluctuate GREATLY in management
    Expectations to meet metrics take precedent over employees
    Illusion that employees that upper management actually care about customers

Advice to Management

You expect too much out of your hosting reps. They are the catch-all inbound support for GoDaddy. Your departments needs more accountability and really anyone pushing your products. The culture has evolved at GoDaddy to selling people things they absolutely do not need just so you make enough revenue to not get fired.

The pressure mounts higher for Hosting Support as they are expected to handle shared server, dedicated server, SSL, cPanel mail issues, shared hosting viruses pushing Sitelock (which hardly works), and much much more with the expectation of also selling these customers at least $300 worth of product a day to keep your job.

I had received so many calls where an individual was told the incorrect thing several times (some upwards of 10 calls) until it was up to me to bite the bullet and address the real problem. There is no pat on the back at GoDaddy for finally solving a customer's issue who has been told the wrong thing from 10 other reps (because you have either miss-trained them or because they don't want their handle time to look bad because it's a long issue). But if you sold that guy a server, they'd sound an alarm for you.

Separate sales and tech support COMPLETELY or your loyal customer base that you've built will leave you as they are getting sick and tired of being offered renewals and new hosting accounts on every call.

If you all would like to continue reading: hosting department was asked several times for mandatory overtime. To meet metrics (was 1% off availability to customers... 96% instead of 97), my manager suggested not taking my whole breaks or shortening the time spent at lunch.

The whole company left a bad taste in my mouth. I am someone who really wanted to help the customer and solve the issues they were calling in for and received multiple "Customer Service Stars" for having the highest CSS in the department, but always struggled in sales. While my counterparts who weren't afraid to sell useless product got large bonuses and standing ovations at weekly meetings. I got a quick shout-out at the end of the month and pin to place on my shirt to show how much I meant to the customers and company for what I do.

Would not. Recommend. 2 Stars only because of the company you used to be and the one I hope you turn back into some day. One that truly cares about their customers and employees.

"Sales Pressure You Won't Find At Similar Companies in the Valley (Endurance International Group)"

Former Employee - Customer Development (Get More Money) Team in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Development (Get More Money) Team in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good bonus plan (though very commonly cut and slashed)

Cons

Lack of Transparency and habitually peeing on your feet while telling you it's raining (bonus cuts while delivering the message you will actually be making more money)l

Advice to Management

Watch out for your competitors. A customer centric attitude will take you far as a company whereas pushing your representatives to generate more and more new revenue for each customer even though customers don't need new products won't. It's easy to say you're customer centric. Your actions and metrics you hold employees accountable to paint a completely different picture.

Apr 25, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Transparency is something we have worked hard to improve. Each month, we communicate the sales goals in advance and explain how they were ... More

"Not as good as they once was...."

Former Employee - PWS Sales and Retention Specialist in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - PWS Sales and Retention Specialist in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 401k, and they have a great work environment.

Cons

Too many pay plan changes! Constant pay cuts with increased responsibilities.

Work environments are vastly different between corporate and call center (c3) departments.

If your not in the "the club" to are not going to get promoted.

No value in degrees earned after being hired.

Career progression is non-existent despite the failed attempt last year to let employees know of other departments.

Advice to Management

To upper management; stop the constant pay plan changes!!!! It causes your best employees to leave. It is OK to payout bonuses for sales positions!!!

Also you are becoming top heavy w/ managers! Over-loading with management is like having too many chefs in the kitchen!!

Mar 6, 2017 – VP, Customer Contact Strategy

Thank you for your feedback and being on the team for over three years, that's great. I also appreciate the shout out about our work environment and benefits/401k - we're proud of that! We are making ... More

"Sounds Good at First....BOILER ROOM"

Former Employee - Small Business Consultant in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Small Business Consultant in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People you work with are really cool. No drama with teams. Learn a lot about how to start your own business and the technology used.

Cons

BOILER ROOM, literally have to sell to everyone and anyone on every call REGARDLESS. If you don't sell something you don't get your bonus which is how they hook you in. If you have kids good luck, they do not work with you at all.

Advice to Management

Stop putting top salespeople in management as they are terrible managers.

Jan 17, 2017 – Sr. Mgr CDT

Thank you for your feedback.Regarding your posting "Sounds Good at First...BOILER ROOM." Our culture is based on consultation with Small Business Customers, we know deeply who we serve and we owe it ... More

"Know what you are getting in to"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

100% healthcare and dental. Wear your pj's to work if you want. $15 Hourly pay for Customer Support and Sales, plus differential and commission bonuses. Hiring process very easy and casual.

Cons

Very stressful. Every section of training, if you don't pass you are let go. You have a $200 mini a day you must meet. Then when you first get on the floor you are required to sell a weekly average of $440 a day. If you get that far, you go on probation where you must average $700 a day. That's where they lose the most people. After probation it jumps to over $1000 a day. If you don't meet your minimum, you are let go. If you can deal with that kind of stress all the time, not knowing whether you will have a job the following week or not, if you can kick butt on sales, then this job is for you. Otherwise stay far far away. Management only cares about meeting sales quota. Of course you have to meet call center stats as well, but even if you're the best, it doesn't matter if you don't meet your sales minimum, cause that's all that keeps you alive with this company. Beware!

Advice to Management

You don't give people enough of a chance to prove themselves. They spend time energy and much effort in learning the business. I don't think it's right that you discard them so easily. Eventually you will run out of quality people because there's only so many that will put up with this kind of environment. All the fun stuff and special treatment means nothing if there's no security in your job.

Dec 12, 2016 – Customer Care Operations Director

Our hiring staff works hard to ensure that people know the expectations going into the role. Candidly, the way that the performance expectations have been described in this review are simply not ... More

"WAS a good career, now barely a job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    On a systematic level they are great to the employees
    Open to the LBGTQH Community
    Open to equality for women in the workplace
    Probably the most liberal company I have ever worked for
    Free / reduced cost lunches in almost every location.
    Great Employee Discounts.
    I believe in many cases the upper management like August and Blake really do care.

Cons

No Career Longevity:
    The culture changed from people caring about their jobs and building a career at GoDaddy.com to people that come from Amazon, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc to job hop and leave after 2 years. If you aren't an executive or job hopper and you actually care about the company or your career at GoDaddy, you get stuck at the bottom rung.

Bad Raises:
    Have heard managers / directors say things like "I don't give meaningful raises because everyone Job hops anyway, so its a waste to give people more money. "

Bad Promotions:
    In the last year, I think everyone that has gotten a promotion has been a new hire; those people rise quickly. Long term employees do not.

Bad Director Level Decision Making:
    Because most of the management is new, they don't actually know much about how GoDaddy works or about domains or the purchase path. And because their goal is to work there for short period then Job Hop, they make decisions that try to get product to market ultra quick, and make themselves look good without knowing anything about how it works. It just makes life tougher for the customer who end up with a crazy user experience and the developers for having to deal with chaos having long term necessary projects dropped in favor of something "sexy" right now.

Bad Developer working Conditions:
    The company started to go agile and the correct direction about 3 years ago, but have completely gone backward recently with a lay off of several Product Owners / Scrum Masters / QA, in favor of managers and directors micromanaging.

Internal Politics:
    Because of new cultural phenomenon as the result of the above mentioned problems there is a ton of in-fighting over "moving cheese". I heard a director once try to get another director's project cancelled because "the JVM had bad garbage collection", despite Java being the preferred framework at GoDaddy. At times working here is just humours.

If you aren't in the "Good Clique" your not going to make it there. It's more about who you know than how you do your job, which is a newer thing.

Constant Reorgs:
    Because people at the top leave so frequently, I have stopped bothering to learn the names of people at the top. If you go more than a month without a re-org affecting your reporting chain or how you communicate with another group it is a miracle

Despite all f this it's possible to thrive here at GoDaddy. If you would fit in at Microsoft, but are willing to work for less maybe because you are not as good then you are an ideal developer for GoDaddy.

Advice to Management

Stop implicitly trusting almost of of the new (within the last 0-3 years) directors and mangers, require that they meet some metrics or earn the trust. Find a good way to evaluate managers / directors competency. They may be making their direct reports miserable or causing major problems, and the direct reports have ZERO recourse.

Jan 9, 2017 – VP Software Engineering

Thanks for your feedback, I am one of the engineering leaders at GoDaddy and I wanted to let you know that my doors are always open to hear your feedback and understand what we can improve as a ... More

"WAS a good place to work."

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Good benefits
    Nice to have a large tech company in AZ
    Good place to build experience

Cons

Company culture went downhill because of the buy out/IPO.
    Most long-term managers forced out. Massive cronyism with new management. In the old days the company was very good about promoting from within. Not anymore. Tons of new hires at the VP+ level so them and their bros can cash out on the IPO.
    Tech departments are very bureaucratic.
    If you figure out a better way to do something, good for you, no one is listening.
    Massive technical debt that no one upstairs cares about paying. Well, if they do care, no one will give you the resources to do anything about it.

I almost forgot. The performance review process is arbitrary and upper management manipulates it to avoid giving raises. Reviews can get downgraded if your team/department has "too many" good reviews.

Preemptive rebuttal: I know this is true about reviews, I witnessed it firsthand.

Advice to Management

None - It's clear they are mostly concerned about pleasing the investors and making $$ from the IPO

Jan 9, 2017 – VP Software Engineering

First of all Thanks for your feedback. We do take them seriously. Since I joined almost 4 years ago I did see a lot of transformation at GoDaddy, I can say that we have improved on several fronts but ... More

"Wall Street Take Over"

Former Employee - Hybrid Associate in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Hybrid Associate in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy (More than 3 years)

Pros

GoDaddy was a good company to work for when it was owned by Bob Parsons.

Cons

They sold out to Wall Street investors who stripped earning potential from employees and shifted most of the profits to the investor class.

Advice to Management

null

Jan 4, 2017 – Sr. Mgr CDT

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve the culture and employee/customer experience. From a compensation standpoint, we are always keeping an eye on our various compensation ... More

""Opportunity""

Former Employee - Product in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product in Seattle, WA

I worked at GoDaddy (Less than a year)

Pros

Individual Contributor level culture is very positive. For example "Join Forces" is your co-workers default approach, not just a pretty platitude. Day-today, GoDaddy is a pleasant place to work.

And if you're the type to step forward and rally your team or cross-team resources to make improvements in process, there is plenty of opportunity and most people are receptive which is great.

Cons

It's a very good thing "join forces" is the default approach because it takes a village 3 months to move a pebble here. The company's core systems are painfully slow and outdated what should take 2 people takes 20. As a co-worker in DevOps commented "this place is built to last until next Tuesday".

There is no strategic product planning discipline. There have been a couple of new hires (as of this writing) that might make an impact in this area. And there is a long history of concepts / slideware driven goals - which are not grounded in any dev estimation. Vision for nirvana is easy, understanding what it will take to deliver on a vision is crucial to building the right team, setting goals, making informed trade-offs and so on - and that work is too often left out.

There is a large disconnect between the company mission and the product deliveries. Teams aren't measured against delivering capabilities which bring the mission closer to reality - it's all short term balance sheet impact, all the time. That's sad and makes it an uninspiring space to work. The competition is going to crush this company.

Advice to Management

Rethink the strategy and yearly initiatives in terms of benefits to the users first. This company is not user benefit led, it's investor benefit led which is the cart before the horse. It simply doesn't work over time.

Sep 2, 2016 – VP Product Management

Thanks for sharing your feedback. In the time that I've been at the company I have seen enormous engineering progress and agility, as well as clarity of focus in strategic planning. If you are in the ... More

"Used to be better when Bob Parsons was around"

Current Employee - Technical Sales and Support in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Sales and Support in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good entry-level opportunities to learn how domains, DNS, email, website builders, and web hosting works.

- Decent pay for the level of experience required to get in the door.

- Health, dental, and vision benefits are extremely affordable.

- Lots of great people to work with.

Cons

- They don't care about their hourly employees anymore and will not hesitate to move you around to whatever shift or role they want you to do with very little notice.

- They recently started outsourcing their chat support to the Philippines.

- Holiday parties have been reduced to just a cheap attempt at capturing what was once the best day of the year (when Bob was around he would give out $1 million to employees but since going public they started to replace that with giving out cheap gadgets that the company gets in bulk for corporate discounts with affiliated companies).

- The supervisors and management are good at pushing you to sell products and services that customers may or may not need but they will not take the time to ever address serious concerns from their direct reports.

Advice to Management

Even though the company is publicly traded that doesn't mean that you can't view your talent as human beings. Reward your employees and you will be rewarded in time with loyalty and innovation.

In before: "We at GoDaddy pride ourselves in being a great place to work and consistently reward our top tier talent..."

Aug 8, 2016 – Director

Thank you for taking the time to send us your concerns and please allow me to address them. - We have grown internationally over the past year but we have not reduced any headcount in the US due ... More