GoDaddy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great benefits and opportunities to progress in your career (in 91 reviews)

• Good benefits and a variety of available shifts (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • They now have focused more on revenue from the website and less on their call center (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management has lost site of what Dr (in 24 reviews)

1. "Customer Development Representative"

I worked at GoDaddy full-time

Pros

the benefits and pay were, I say WERE, great

Cons

they went public and we all took huge losses on our pay

"Not a bad place to work if you can put up with all the cons"

Former Employee - Customer Sales and Support
    Former Employee - Customer Sales and Support

Pros

Really great benefits compared to other companies. Lunches available on site every day a low cost. Great culture among teams.

Cons

No transparency with employees that are a part of the "customer success" team. This is definitely a sales job and I was told otherwise when I was initially in the training class. I specfiically remember the training saying that bonus compensation is offered but "some people are okay with just making the hourly rate and that is ok too" - NOT TRUE at all. If you don't make the required sales every day or can't manage get the swing of things, you will be out of there sooner rather than later. Constant changes get made to the "bonus structure" that determines your compensation. More recently it was completely restructured causing lots of people to take huge paycuts. Godaddy is trying to cut corners on internal spending as much as possible.

Advice to Management

More transparency and treat your employees that are the face of your company a little bit better.

Feb 8, 2017 – Director

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. In regards to the customer success team, we hire for the position of Customer Consultation and Care Representative. This role is a key part of ... More

"Always downhill"

Current Employee - Web Designer
    Current Employee - Web Designer

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allot of the people I work with here are amazing individuals

Cons

Godaddy used to care about their employees however since they have gone public every dept is going downhill fast. I have been told I am replaceable several times which is against their so called, "Culture." Since they have gone public Go Daddy looks to pinch pennies anywhere they can and it seems evident that all they care about is money now and the bottom line. Minimal care for quality, customers, or even employees.

Advice to Management

To much to even go over. This company is sinking fast since all you guys can do is make decisions that generate short term profit

Jan 17, 2017 – VP, Customer Contact Strategy

We appreciate your candid feedback, it's disappointing to hear that you're seeing negative changes at GoDaddy. We work hard to make sure that customers and employees are both front and center for ... More

"Sales"

Pros

Hard to think of any besides actually being employed.

Cons

This company would rather make their employees take 2 hour phone calls and try to sell customers on more items instead of fixing the actual issue that the customer is having. They have the audacity to tell reps their phones calls are too long but then don't offer a solution to all of the tech issue. Also, raising sales minimums is an issue when every call that comes through is an angry customer. GoDaddy claims that their customers and employees are #1 however they don't act like it.

Advice to Management

listen to the rep and communicate with them more.

Jan 30, 2017 – Director

One of our core values is to Be Extraordinary and it’s a requirement throughout our culture. When you have a mission to help 13 million customers around the world easily start, confidently grow and ... More

"Sounds Good at First....BOILER ROOM"

Former Employee - Small Business Consultant in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Small Business Consultant in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People you work with are really cool. No drama with teams. Learn a lot about how to start your own business and the technology used.

Cons

BOILER ROOM, literally have to sell to everyone and anyone on every call REGARDLESS. If you don't sell something you don't get your bonus which is how they hook you in. If you have kids good luck, they do not work with you at all.

Advice to Management

Stop putting top salespeople in management as they are terrible managers.

Jan 17, 2017 – Sr. Mgr CDT

Thank you for your feedback.Regarding your posting "Sounds Good at First...BOILER ROOM." Our culture is based on consultation with Small Business Customers, we know deeply who we serve and we owe it ... More

"Status quo for corporate life"

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time

Pros

steady income, reliable benefits, 401k is nice

Cons

barely-there annual "increases", unless you are in sales or upper management expect to be underpaid/valued

Advice to Management

things used to be so much better around GD. too many things have changed

"Know what you are getting in to"

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

100% healthcare and dental. Wear your pj's to work if you want. $15 Hourly pay for Customer Support and Sales, plus differential and commission bonuses. Hiring process very easy and casual.

Cons

Very stressful. Every section of training, if you don't pass you are let go. You have a $200 mini a day you must meet. Then when you first get on the floor you are required to sell a weekly average of $440 a day. If you get that far, you go on probation where you must average $700 a day. That's where they lose the most people. After probation it jumps to over $1000 a day. If you don't meet your minimum, you are let go. If you can deal with that kind of stress all the time, not knowing whether you will have a job the following week or not, if you can kick butt on sales, then this job is for you. Otherwise stay far far away. Management only cares about meeting sales quota. Of course you have to meet call center stats as well, but even if you're the best, it doesn't matter if you don't meet your sales minimum, cause that's all that keeps you alive with this company. Beware!

Advice to Management

You don't give people enough of a chance to prove themselves. They spend time energy and much effort in learning the business. I don't think it's right that you discard them so easily. Eventually you will run out of quality people because there's only so many that will put up with this kind of environment. All the fun stuff and special treatment means nothing if there's no security in your job.

Dec 12, 2016 – Customer Care Operations Director

Our hiring staff works hard to ensure that people know the expectations going into the role. Candidly, the way that the performance expectations have been described in this review are simply not ... More

"WAS a good career, now barely a job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    On a systematic level they are great to the employees
    Open to the LBGTQH Community
    Open to equality for women in the workplace
    Probably the most liberal company I have ever worked for
    Free / reduced cost lunches in almost every location.
    Great Employee Discounts.
    I believe in many cases the upper management like August and Blake really do care.

Cons

No Career Longevity:
    The culture changed from people caring about their jobs and building a career at GoDaddy.com to people that come from Amazon, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc to job hop and leave after 2 years. If you aren't an executive or job hopper and you actually care about the company or your career at GoDaddy, you get stuck at the bottom rung.

Bad Raises:
    Have heard managers / directors say things like "I don't give meaningful raises because everyone Job hops anyway, so its a waste to give people more money. "

Bad Promotions:
    In the last year, I think everyone that has gotten a promotion has been a new hire; those people rise quickly. Long term employees do not.

Bad Director Level Decision Making:
    Because most of the management is new, they don't actually know much about how GoDaddy works or about domains or the purchase path. And because their goal is to work there for short period then Job Hop, they make decisions that try to get product to market ultra quick, and make themselves look good without knowing anything about how it works. It just makes life tougher for the customer who end up with a crazy user experience and the developers for having to deal with chaos having long term necessary projects dropped in favor of something "sexy" right now.

Bad Developer working Conditions:
    The company started to go agile and the correct direction about 3 years ago, but have completely gone backward recently with a lay off of several Product Owners / Scrum Masters / QA, in favor of managers and directors micromanaging.

Internal Politics:
    Because of new cultural phenomenon as the result of the above mentioned problems there is a ton of in-fighting over "moving cheese". I heard a director once try to get another director's project cancelled because "the JVM had bad garbage collection", despite Java being the preferred framework at GoDaddy. At times working here is just humours.

If you aren't in the "Good Clique" your not going to make it there. It's more about who you know than how you do your job, which is a newer thing.

Constant Reorgs:
    Because people at the top leave so frequently, I have stopped bothering to learn the names of people at the top. If you go more than a month without a re-org affecting your reporting chain or how you communicate with another group it is a miracle

Despite all f this it's possible to thrive here at GoDaddy. If you would fit in at Microsoft, but are willing to work for less maybe because you are not as good then you are an ideal developer for GoDaddy.

Advice to Management

Stop implicitly trusting almost of of the new (within the last 0-3 years) directors and mangers, require that they meet some metrics or earn the trust. Find a good way to evaluate managers / directors competency. They may be making their direct reports miserable or causing major problems, and the direct reports have ZERO recourse.

Jan 9, 2017 – VP Software Engineering

Thanks for your feedback, I am one of the engineering leaders at GoDaddy and I wanted to let you know that my doors are always open to hear your feedback and understand what we can improve as a ... More

"WAS a good place to work."

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Good benefits
    Nice to have a large tech company in AZ
    Good place to build experience

Cons

Company culture went downhill because of the buy out/IPO.
    Most long-term managers forced out. Massive cronyism with new management. In the old days the company was very good about promoting from within. Not anymore. Tons of new hires at the VP+ level so them and their bros can cash out on the IPO.
    Tech departments are very bureaucratic.
    If you figure out a better way to do something, good for you, no one is listening.
    Massive technical debt that no one upstairs cares about paying. Well, if they do care, no one will give you the resources to do anything about it.

I almost forgot. The performance review process is arbitrary and upper management manipulates it to avoid giving raises. Reviews can get downgraded if your team/department has "too many" good reviews.

Preemptive rebuttal: I know this is true about reviews, I witnessed it firsthand.

Advice to Management

None - It's clear they are mostly concerned about pleasing the investors and making $$ from the IPO

Jan 9, 2017 – VP Software Engineering

First of all Thanks for your feedback. We do take them seriously. Since I joined almost 4 years ago I did see a lot of transformation at GoDaddy, I can say that we have improved on several fronts but ... More

"Wall Street Take Over"

Former Employee - Hybrid Associate in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Hybrid Associate in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at GoDaddy (More than 3 years)

Pros

GoDaddy was a good company to work for when it was owned by Bob Parsons.

Cons

They sold out to Wall Street investors who stripped earning potential from employees and shifted most of the profits to the investor class.

Advice to Management

null

Jan 4, 2017 – Sr. Mgr CDT

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve the culture and employee/customer experience. From a compensation standpoint, we are always keeping an eye on our various compensation ... More