GoDaddy Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and opportunities to progress in your career (in 105 reviews)

• great pay if you are good at sales, good benefits perks (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Its a call center job for the most part (in 53 reviews)

• Illusion that employees that upper management actually care about customers (in 28 reviews)

"A company that grew on me!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company had a bad reputation for their sexist super bowl ads and supporting SOPA a few years ago. I have to say it changed a lot and not only in surface. Recently I attended a "how to be a male ally in the workplace" training with the CEO, followed by a "LGBT 101" webinar a week later. The company matches donations year long, and even triples donations once a year.

All middle management I had to deal with in engineering has been exceptional. Tolerant, open, listening. I currently have the best manager in my career.

My team is composed of highly qualified people that inspire me and from who I can learn a lot. We are constantly adopting new technologies to make our lives easier as engineers. We don't rush work, we do good stuff.

Cons

I am not crazy inspired by the products I am working on. We're not making war weapons, but we're not saving the world either. It's pretty neutral. That said, I'd probably feel the same for about 95% of software being written out there. So it's not just a GoDaddy thing, it's more a capitalism thing :)

Some of the engineering old guard is also being flaky sometimes, and a bit condescending. I wish they were more cooperative with us.

Advice to Management

While I do strongly approve the CEO, some of the high level guys I met at TechFest kinda creeped me out. There is also a lack of diversity up there, we need more women and POC. I do think the company is on the right path and making huge progress, keep up the good work!

2. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are driven by supporting their customers and focused on getting them value.

Cons

Culture doesn't match company values, definitely churning through mid/senior level talent right now as they refocus on technology over status quo.

Advice to Management

Focus on the capabilities you need going forward, you can't promote well meaning people and expect them to succeed without the correct skills.

Jun 1, 2017 – VP Software Engineering

First of all thanks for your feedback, I am glad to see that it is super clear that our main focus is on providing great solutions for our customers, making them successful and fulfilled on their... More

"Software Engineer V"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Using the latest technologies, constantly reinventing itself to keep up with the trends in the software industry. Mostly humble, unassuming people, passionate about their work.

Cons

If you treasure the comfort of using old technologies, this place is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Sep 26, 2016 – Sr. Director, Productivity Development

Hi there! Thanks for the comments on GoDaddy, appreciate you taking the time to add them. I'll pass the thoughts along. Thanks again, Jason

4. "Great people to work with!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, they understand small business and want to help them every step of the way. I get to work with a talented group of folks and have an extensive network of folks across multiple offices if I need help with things.
    Wonderful benefit packages and excellent salaries. It's hard work sometimes, but if feels like you're making a difference.

Cons

Not a lot, some divisions are tough to work with but they are improving by leaps and bounds.

Nov 14, 2016

Thank you for the great feedback. GoDaddy is pushing forward with our vision for the company both in what we do and how we do it. I'm glad its resonating!

"Impressive Tech Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Amazing infrastructure. GitHub Enterprise, OpenStack, Jira, Confluence, Jenkins and many others.
    Impressive Tech Stack (varies by team): Java, Docker, SaltStack, IntelliJ. I try to sprinkle in some python.
    Impressive upper management: Met them at the NEW employee orientation - they fly you out to AZ for a couple of days. All of them are super smart and really down to earth. It was fun hearing their stories.

Cons

There is a lot of legacy systems. Large projects can sometimes consume you. Pace is sometimes is a bit fast on the border of unsustainable at times, but is mostly pretty good.

Sep 21, 2016 – Director, Software Engineering

Appreciate the comments. Thanks to the infrastructure and tech stack investments you mentioned, the proportion of legacy systems is steadily diminishing.

6. "GoDaddy is GD Good"

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Inclusive, Progressive, Forward thinking. The future of the domain business for the whole world

Cons

I get an employee discount that is excellent, and I spend too much money on GoDaddy goods and services, because the discount is so tempting

Advice to Management

Currently, I think there is no advice I would give. You are pushing toward the future in a remarkable way. If the reality is even 10% as good as the vision, you (management) will have exceeded all other competitors, in terms of employee satisfaction, tech leadership, and market share.

Mar 8, 2016 – Sr Director

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the great environment and team in our Seattle office!

"You have to experience it to beleive it"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at GoDaddy is the best I’ve experienced in my 11 years of software development. I love going to work! Have you ever heard anyone say that?

GoDaddy offers competitive pay and a flexible schedule – 2 must haves in my book. There are many ways to get recognized, whether it be by your peers, or managers. The health benefits are amongst the best in the area. The quarterly offsite team building events help keep the team strong and focused. I get to compete with my CEO in weekly Fitbit challenges. Plus, everyone knows we throw a rockin' Christmas party.

From a technical perspective, we’re keeping up with the latest trends. We’re agile, we’re using open source, we’re developing on OpenStack. All good things. We’re building great things for our customers!

Join our team!

Cons

None so far. Employees who have been around longer seem to have issues with some of the organization changes implemented within the past few years. However, in the almost 2 years I have been around, I have seen all positive changes.

Advice to Management

Stay involved. I love how upper management approaches me to see how things are going.

Sep 23, 2016 – Sr. Director, Productivity Development

Hello! Thanks for your comments, appreciate you taking the time to get the word out about GoDaddy. Really great to hear that you love going to work -- that's the right way to start the day, for sure... More

8. "A Haven for Developers"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The current management team has aggressively taken on changing the culture to to allow it to operate in the fast paced tech company it now is. Adoption of open source and open stack infrastructures has greatly expanded the opportunities inside the company. They are providing training tools and encouraging developers to grow and expand their skill sets. Adoption of Agile is working to allow developers to concentrate on the work at hand rather than the constant distractions that are normal in IT. They encourage the "fail fast" approach typical of internet startups, which leads to thinking outside the box, creative design discussions, and some pretty awesome solutions that will make millions of of peoples' experiences better. That's pretty exciting.

Cons

It takes time to change the culture of a 5000 person company and the word is not out to everyone.

Fast pace and more of a thinking person's game. You'll need to hold up your end of the conversation when the ideas start flying during design or backlog refinement. It's not going to be the right environment for everybody.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Sep 23, 2016 – Sr. Director, Productivity Development

Thanks for taking the time to talk about GoDaddy. Really great points -- we've been working hard over the last couple of years to really bring about that change in the culture. You're absolutely... More

"Great Company Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Great Atmosphere
    - Company cares about its employees

Cons

- Management cares more about getting features to production quickly without properly building backend infrastructure that leads to future issues that when they come up they ignore.

Feb 15, 2016 – Chief Product Officer

Thank you for posting about the positives you’ve experienced at GoDaddy and for calling out the need to balance launching new features while investing in the underlying architecture and... More

10. "Fun, Engaging Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at GoDaddy (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll never be short of (fun) challenges working at GoDaddy. You'll be working with leading-edge technologies and contributing to open source. Your co-workers will help you grow as an engineer. Management is pretty transparent about what they can be, and expectations are clear. And, of course, the office spaces are amazing (you can find pictures online). Great benefits as well.

Cons

Teams can still feel a bit siloed, and projects that span organizations can take longer than expected. This is something that the company as a whole has been working on the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, continue to value your engineers and they will build great products.

Dec 3, 2015 – Sr. Software Development Manager

Thanks for the feedback and observation around siloed teams! We indeed sought to tackle this issue through a couple of ways. One, is developing a core set of values across the company. Joining Forces... More