GoPago Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leo Rocco

1. "Great company culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoPago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment and great people to work with

Cons

The company is stagnating - no longer as exciting to be a part of

2. "Great place for growth..."

I worked at GoPago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a tremendous amount! Had the opportunity to grow from 1 group to the next and now have moved to a new city and couldn't stay with the team. Management provided guidance and the opportunities to grow. If you work hard you have the opportunity to grow and succeed. The CMO is hard on you, but he challenges you. It's a get your sh*t done type of environment, driven from the CEO. They no longer are exclusive to Chase, which is a good thing. That was weighing the company down. CSO seems to be doing a good job signing up resellers. The management team promotes and compensates performers. Typically, non-performers either are asked to leave or don't get increased comp. I've seen that a few times and you know you can see it coming.

Cons

A few folks that are junior need hand holding, this brings down the group. I'm not sure why they are there. CTO is a bit too passionate sometimes...probably scares the junior guys!

Advice to Management

Get rid of a few of the junior people and hire a local marketing and sales lead.

"GoNOgo the multi-million dollar company with less than 50 customers"

I worked at GoPago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The day I left and the when my new employer made me realize I was not crazy

Cons

Too many to list but I will try
    Management is horrifying. Their arrogance, lack of experience, hollow promises and finger pointing, has to catch up with them soon.
    They went from a darling of Silicon Valley to the biggest joke in SF.
    They went from close to 100 employees to barely 20 in this past year.
    I am amazed Chase their major investor keeps giving them more money, read the review here about that.
    The company changes the business model about once every few months. They started as a mobile ordering company. Just go look at the app, you will notice none of the merchants on the app are working and show 'closed'. Then they wanted to be a free POS. to a paid POS and now after I left I heard its a software only for download company. Maybe they will try being a picture sharing app or perhaps a messaging app. I heard web search is a new area of growth, or electronic mail that has to be the 'one'.
    The CEO thinks this is a game, he wants so badly to be like the silicon valley legends and its just never going to happen. The CSO likes to make unwarranted advances towards female employees and reminds the engineers of a Star Wars character (think of who had princess leia on a leash).
    The CMO lives across the country and micromanages every department and if you have the misfortune of getting called up he will tell you how to do your job even if you happen to excel at it, have real experience in it and the whole time he has never done anything in your field. I heard him once ask a marketing manager what google Adwords was... Really?? Oh and he has never been in the office EVEN ONCE.
    The VP of sales just disappeared one day. The Chief Product officer an ex-googler was asked to resign and he is brilliant. We had the guy that created the Starbucks app (the most used and downloaded app in the world) and he left out of frustration early on. There are so many others with similar stories
    Point being all the great people have left. I and many others are surprised it has lasted this long.
    So please be very careful about this company and please look for another company. I feel sorry for the others left behind and wish them the best. I know that the dozens of others that left before me are all successful and thriving at other tech companies in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

Please wake up. You are hurting people's lives

5. "Great company with tons of upward mobility"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoPago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great culture of camaraderie
    -Tons of opportunity for advancement
    -Consistent learning opportunities and culture of professional advancement

Overall, I worked for GoPago for a year and a half and I was given a great opportunity. I was asked to work very hard and put in a lot of hours, but I was treated fairly and compensated well. Looking back I have grown alot from the experience and have built lifelong friendships with many of the great people who work for GoPago.

Cons

-Long hours
    -Startup culture comes with inherent, occasional fire drills
    -Must be flexible and dynamic to succeed

The hours is what you hear complained about most, however they got better later down the line. It can be difficult at times to keep up with how fast things move in an environment like GoPago.

Advice to Management

More consistent sharing of vision and company prospects would go a long way for employees to feel involved in the continued success of the firm.

"Investors such as Chase should really look into what's going on at this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoPago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The junior developers, product folks, and mobile developers were a joy to work with.

Young employees were promoted into positions that they wished to be in.

Cons

The CEO attempts to micromanage the placement every widget, almost always in the middle of a sprint cycle, due to some last minute feature that he sold to a company. This invariably ends up culminating in product delays and serious bugs that are often difficult to resolve.

The CTO yells at the team for being late to the 10:00 AM morning scrum, but is usually late himself. He berates team members on a weekly basis, usually when he faces pressure from the CEO.

The development process is such that developers write rushed features with little or no unit testing; consequently, unit testing is assigned to junior developers, which breaks the intention of unit testing in the first place (testing functionality by writing passing tests against existing code is a logically fallacious).

Over the course of 8 weeks, at least 8 employees left the company, out of 45 or so employees. Their departures were not coordinated.

Advice to Management

The investors really need to look into how this company is being managed.

7. "Great team, compelling product, huge opportunity, long hours"

Current Employee - Senior Rails Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Rails Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team - very knowledgable, fun, open. Challenging problems to solve no matter what your level of engineering skill / experience. Fairly flat structure, focussed on delivering a great product. Can always talk directly with CEO and CTO, not too much hierarchy or middle management.

Cons

Long hours. Very tight deadlines. Big expectations. Needs work on internal communication between business and engineering. Need to focus on internal quality as much as external features. But getting better on all fronts.

Advice to Management

Communication - business and engineering. Need to balance expectations and give enough time to complete tasks. Need to allow for engineering a good solution to a problem instead of rushing to complete.

8. "Great company to work in"

Current Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- great team
    - great office
    - free lunch
    - interesting ideas
    - a lot of challenges

Cons

- startup environment
    - not enough strict process

Advice to Management

Work less hard

9. "Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

collaborative and supportive team that requires you to closely interact with all levels of management across all teams

opportunity to learn is tremendous - constantly being challenged with projects and given chance and means to excel

company incentivizes extra work with bonuses, promotions and team recognition

typical start-up style office - snacks a plenty, open work environment, ping pong table, weekly happy hour / town hall event

fun, young and exciting culture - most employees hang outside of work for group events like skiing, rock climbing or bar hopping

Cons

be prepared to work long hours and some weekends - know that your extra effort will be recognized and rewarded

Advice to Management

continue to empower employees (especially the younger ones) to grow - challenge them and hold them accountable

"Great Startup"

Current Employee - Fulfillment in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Exciting day to day fast pace work environment
    -Excellent company culture
    -Opportunity for growth
    -Easily the best coworkers I've ever worked with

Cons

-At times lower level employees can be overlooked in the organization

Advice to Management

Although not necessary for everyone, provide more mentorship toward those who desire it.

11. "Challenging and Exciting Workplace"

Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at GoPago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great team! Some of the most amazing people I've ever worked with.
    -Management encourages everyone to communicate and aim for their own career goals.
    -The company as a whole fosters leadership, recognizes hard work, and praises those who go "above and beyond the call of duty."
    -Weekly company gatherings for team/product updates.
    -Management is extremely approachable and accessible for your questions, comments, and concerns.

Cons

-Long hours from time to time, but this is characteristic of start-up environment.
    -Demanding work load at times, but office environment is team oriented and credit is given where credit is due.