GoPro Employee Reviews about "cameras"

Updated Nov 18, 2020

GoPro Founder & CEO Nicholas Woodman
Nicholas Woodman
Pros
  • "I feel like I have the ability to make an impact and yet still have a great work/life balance(in 32 reviews)

• "First gopro is a really good company to work with they make the best cameras for capturing action videos(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is so non-experienced that they resolve problems by simply laying off people(in 17 reviews)

• "Poor management and lack of innovation(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "cameras"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good"

Current Employee - Videographer/Editor

I have been working at GoPro part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First gopro is a really good company to work with they make the best cameras for capturing action videos.

Cons

You have to pay attention to the costumer

October 9, 2019Recruiting Operations Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you're enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

2. "Company is great but some managers are not inline with people they manage"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free latest cameras each year

Cons

Some managers are not experienced to handle the teams

December 2, 2020Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at GoPro. We value your input and are pleased to hear you enjoyed some of our unique perks - your very own GoPro(s)! We are always looking to improve our employee experience so if you wish to provide any additional feedback please email us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

"directionless future"

2.0

I have been working at GoPro full-time

Pros

The few cameras we make are awesome

Cons

Only two real products. future looks bleak.

April 6, 2020Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

"Cool Place to Work ... But..."

Former Employee - QA Automation Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool CEO gave the employees freedom to do anything (encouraged using GoPro cameras and accessories) they wanted on Thursdays

Cons

Inexperienced with managing software engineers in QA. When the going got tough, management wasn't very nice (and the founder bought a $20 million yacht). Also, the company took on a product that they had no experience in developing nor testing of. Bad choice. Bad decison.

October 9, 2019Recruiting Operations Program Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

"Cool company, lots of issues with management"

Former Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Peers were great, some decent perks, cool offices, cool cameras, fun tech challenges

Cons

Management was a wreck, way too political. Lots of "Nick Woodman wants this done" type of delegation.

"Recent results are good, but all based on deep cost cutting"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time

Pros

Location, great office buildings, TVs everywhere, some smart people, and of course the benefit of free gopro cameras as a full time employee

Cons

Everything that the company has launched since my short time there has failed in one way or another: - GoPro Plus - who wants to pay for premium storage when Google offers it for free? - Karma - dead when launched. Relaunched by tainted by poor reputation and barely made a dent against DJI worldwide - Fusion - teaser didn't drum up much enthusiasm. if launched on time at a decent price point can be a solid product (but only if) All of projects literally got their funding slashed ever since I got there. I have experienced 3 different bosses in my less than 1 year tenure. Talk about a wild ride! Too much of a bro culture. The MSFT presence died when Tony Bate was canned along with his lieutenants. The only ones left are mostly ex EA and ex Apple employees. Some are genuinely good, but most are clearly just collecting a paycheck until they get their shot at a pink slip and possibly a nice severance. HR has been constantly handing them out in a relentless pursue to cut costs since December of last year. Unless something drastic happens they will end up being sold.

Continue reading

"Rad company, awesome people, and the sweetest culture.."

I have been working at GoPro full-time

Pros

Now that we're focused on making awesome cameras the future seems bright. Plus ask about Live It!

Cons

IT should not have to report to Finance.

Continue reading
  8. "Energetic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are friends and the work environment is conducive to fostering cross-team collaboration. If you like working on consumer products that you, your friends/family and people around the world use - then this is a great place to be. Great life/work balance with Live It Thursdays and plenty of amenities to keep you going throughout the day. Access to latest office equipment, clean and modern work space and free parking on campus. Company's values are evident where ever you look and are reflected in the day-to-day activities. GoPro is the leader in the activity camera market and recent launch of new cameras and drones continue to get people excited about purchasing and using our products and easily sharing media using our new mobile and desktop apps.

Cons

At times work can be difficult and you end up spending extra time to get things completed but this is probably true with any technology or consumer product oriented company.

9. "Really fun and dynamic, needs to up execution capabilities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

So much fun. Never had so much fun at work because GoPro is filled with super passionate and interesting people and is working on really interesting products (cameras, flying stuff, accssories, media biz, etc)

Cons

Needs to improve execution capabilities. GoPro was not historically a strong R&D company. HOWEVER, through good hires and a series of very smart acquisitions, it has singficantly improved its core engineering strength. Now, GoPro needs to step-up is execution capabilties.

Continue reading

"Let's Get Real (...and skip the marketing fluff.)"

1.0
     in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro for more than 5 years

Pros

Many employees from the top down, have a genuine and heartfelt passion for the company and the brand. People create and share some truly amazing sights, thrilling experiences, and beautiful moments with their GoPro cameras. Lots of folks at GoPro feel great about being a part of that. The CEO is the real deal: a friendly, charismatic, funny, bright guy with a glint in his eye a deep, deep passion for what he has built.

Cons

GoPro has stumbled as it has grown and has fundamental problems that it may never overcome. GoPro has failed to establish itself as a "media company", failed to reach out to consumers, failed to launch new products when promised, and failed to develop a sustainable or healthy internal culture. As these failures pile up left and right astonishingly poor management goes from bad to worse. At it's core GoPro has a "top down" culture. The best ideas only come from the CEO. The best plans only come from top management. Praise is for managers or directors or VP's The rest of you should be quiet, do as you are told, keep your manager happy, enjoy your drawer of Costco snacks, and get back to work. The company invests considerable time and money adding new layers of well compensated upper management. This is the right place to be if you want to be a director or VP and want to spend all your time in meetings. There is no internal culture of promotion or upward mobility, your next boss will likely be a hire from outside. If you are a ruthless political animal, an incessant self promoter, a determined empire builder, and you consistently suck up to upper management, you might find fertile ground in this company's culture. You don’t need to be the best or the brightest, just the most aggressive. Be sure to watch out for HR. They do the bidding of management only. They are not a resource for employees to thrive and grow, they function as a tool to enable management to execute their personal agendas. The message is never "How can we help?" it's "If you don't like it, leave". For the rank and file things only go from bad to worse. GoPro pays poorly, usually below market rate, and expects you to get by on the excitement of being part of an awesome brand. Any chance to benefit from the company’s transition from private to public has come and gone. In general read and understand what the press says: GoPro’s future outlook has gone from bright to deeply uncertain.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 English Reviews