GoPro Employee Reviews about "poor management"

Updated Jun 27, 2020

GoPro Founder & CEO Nicholas Woodman
Nicholas Woodman
Pros
  • "I feel like I have the ability to make an impact and yet still have a great work/life balance(in 32 reviews)

• "First gopro is a really good company to work with they make the best cameras for capturing action videos(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is so non-experienced that they resolve problems by simply laying off people(in 17 reviews)

• "Poor management and lack of innovation(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "poor management"

Return to all Reviews

"GoPro"

Current Employee - Production Artist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at GoPro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Culture with poor management

Cons

Extreamly poor management. Lacking real world experience.

2. "Crappy place to work"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time

Pros

Decent snacks, access to a gym

Cons

Poor management at all levels

GoPro Response

July 9, 2020Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your time at GoPro. We'd love to know more about your experience and how we an improve. Please email us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

"A rollercoaster ride"

Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are great perks to the job, very relaxed, good work life balance, awesome people.

Cons

3 rounds of lay offs since I worked at GoPro. Poor management and lack of innovation. Hard to see a future for them.

"Slowly going downhill"

I have been working at GoPro full-time

Pros

Decent salary, free food, bicycle use, gym, 2 hours paid free time on Thursdays

Cons

No job stability, poor management, massively overworked. Four entire teams in our office were eliminated. Coworkers who worked here for years and years were thrown out like so much garbage. Management claims that they're trying to do "fewer things better" but they're really just trying to do more with less. Everyone is overworked, it's really stressful. Other companies come out with similar or better products for cheaper months before we do. Stock price is in the toilet. The powerful brand name is the only thing keeping the company alive.

5. "Okay place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work culture, great benefits, 3 hour lunch on Thursday, friendly work culture.

Cons

To many of their products fail, no room for advancement unless you are buddies with management. Poor management at the executive level.

"Ran out of stoke."

2.0

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome brand and many incredibly talented, passionate, hard-working individuals!

Cons

Poor work/life balance for some teams. Unable to execute because of poor management, constant reorgs, process changes, overall poor communication and 'growing pains' for a few years within the organization.

Continue reading

"Let's Get Real (...and skip the marketing fluff.)"

in San Mateo, CA

I worked at GoPro for more than 5 years

Pros

Many employees from the top down, have a genuine and heartfelt passion for the company and the brand. People create and share some truly amazing sights, thrilling experiences, and beautiful moments with their GoPro cameras. Lots of folks at GoPro feel great about being a part of that. The CEO is the real deal: a friendly, charismatic, funny, bright guy with a glint in his eye a deep, deep passion for what he has built.

Cons

GoPro has stumbled as it has grown and has fundamental problems that it may never overcome. GoPro has failed to establish itself as a "media company", failed to reach out to consumers, failed to launch new products when promised, and failed to develop a sustainable or healthy internal culture. As these failures pile up left and right astonishingly poor management goes from bad to worse. At it's core GoPro has a "top down" culture. The best ideas only come from the CEO. The best plans only come from top management. Praise is for managers or directors or VP's The rest of you should be quiet, do as you are told, keep your manager happy, enjoy your drawer of Costco snacks, and get back to work. The company invests considerable time and money adding new layers of well compensated upper management. This is the right place to be if you want to be a director or VP and want to spend all your time in meetings. There is no internal culture of promotion or upward mobility, your next boss will likely be a hire from outside. If you are a ruthless political animal, an incessant self promoter, a determined empire builder, and you consistently suck up to upper management, you might find fertile ground in this company's culture. You don’t need to be the best or the brightest, just the most aggressive. Be sure to watch out for HR. They do the bidding of management only. They are not a resource for employees to thrive and grow, they function as a tool to enable management to execute their personal agendas. The message is never "How can we help?" it's "If you don't like it, leave". For the rank and file things only go from bad to worse. GoPro pays poorly, usually below market rate, and expects you to get by on the excitement of being part of an awesome brand. Any chance to benefit from the company’s transition from private to public has come and gone. In general read and understand what the press says: GoPro’s future outlook has gone from bright to deeply uncertain.

"worst company ever"

I have been working at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free GoPro camera, a lot of free food & drinks

Cons

Poor management, stressful, political, no thing to gain/learn

"Who's in charge here? I thought you were doing that- should be company motto"

2.0

I have been working at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

cool product interesting and fun employees

Cons

it's clear that many of the people in management are friends of friends and are only there because they happened to know the right person at the right time. the idea of career development is a foreign concept. you're more likely to advance if you go racing or rock climbing with the managers or are buddies with any one of the founder's friends or family members. it can be infuriating when management gives the idea that they're just as cool as our brand and if you just follow your passion and work hard you will be rewarded. in reality, management either doesn't have a clue or they don't have any authority but they will be the first ones to tell what you aren't doing right or how many more hours or weeks of overtime you're going to have to work to deal with the mistake they made with the product or the problem they are currently facing as a result of poor management.

Continue reading
  10. "A huge disappointment"

Former Employee - Sales Person in Chambéry

I worked at GoPro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool products, nice people and company culture.

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication from execs.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews