KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

GoTranscript Transcriptionist Reviews

Updated Nov 27, 2021

Found 129 of over 393 reviews

4.0
GoTranscript CEO Peter Trebek (no image)
Peter Trebek
  1. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Perfect, I'm very happy to work with this company!

Apr 8, 2017 - Transcriptionist in Italy, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly staff, good communication! I'm very happy to work for this company!

Cons

Nothing negative to say about GoTranscript

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Nov 18, 2021 - Transcriptionist in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Online work opportunity from home.

Cons

Less pay for inaudible projects

3. 3.0
    Current Temporary Employee, less than 1 year

Lots of jobs to choose from

Nov 27, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can work when I want on what project I want. I can work from home in my PJs.

Cons

I just finished transcribing an audio recording that was 50 minutes long. The payout is $2.33 per audio hour. I worked on the file for four hours.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Its good

Apr 18, 2021 - Transcriptionist in Miami, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, doesn't need experience

Cons

not easy to mantain the 3.6+ rating

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Freelancer

Transcriptionist

Mar 22, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work on your own time Side income No pressure, just make sure you follow guidelines There is enough time to finish your file

Cons

Pay is low Editors are harsh. They will grade your transcription job.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

great flexibility/low pay

Feb 24, 2021 - Transcriptionist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, great flexibility

Cons

the pay is low for transcriptionists. they pay higher for editors but I haven't passed that test yet.

7. 2.0
    Former Freelancer

No Guidance, very low pay.

Feb 15, 2021 - Transcriptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Set your own schedule. Decent amount of work available right from the start.

Cons

The pay is extremely low compared to the amount of time they expect you to put into doing any given transcription. Very little room is given for guidance to allow for learning curve. Editors can be quite rude in their comments, if you make a mistake.

8. 1.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Extremely poor pay and horrendous audio quality

Feb 21, 2021 - Transcriptionist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to apply (just testing, no interview or resume), Flexible hours even though you only make pennies; Their platform is pretty seamless and you can choose your own jobs There's no minimum to be paid out via PayPal and they pay on time Work remotely

Cons

The pay is unbelievably low with, of course, no benefits. The company should be honest about their pay on their site. Their advertised rate that they pay "up to $.60" per audio minute borders on being a scam, bc as of Jan 2021 over 95% of the jobs are around $.23-.26 per audio minute. The only jobs with higher pay than this are ones that pay $.35 per audio minute for their "challenging" jobs which are almost completely indecipherable. Almost all the audios have either heavy accents, background noises, people talking over each other and are of general poor quality and a lot of time is spent just trying to find one that won't damage your hearing. Even very experienced transcriptionists will not make even half of the current US minimum wage and beginners will likely make no more than $1-3 an hour. If you look at this site alone, you'll see a large number of the reviewers are from third world countries. If you work in the US or other country with a similar high cost of living, you're better off working at any minimum wage job or even collecting recyclable bottles and cashing them in like Kramer and Newman did in Seinfeld. For such low pay, GoTranscript is very demanding in that they expect near perfect transcripts entailing very careful proofing adding significantly to the work time. This system is not to increase quality but rather serves as a way to withhold pay. Even though I got high marks on all my jobs bc of my experience, it's very demoralizing to work there and see how fellow transcriptionists are treated. There is not even a tiered system to support higher pay rates for the high quality they claim to pursue or any bonuses for increased output. I do not recommend working in this sweat shop to anyone but esp to anyone from the US. This company is geared towards employing workers from third world countries and the pay is in line with the cost of living there.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

It's an okay job for beginners but don't expect long term pay.

Dec 28, 2020 - Transcriptionist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Okay Starting Pay and no experience required

Cons

It's not consistent work you might get work done weeks but others no.

10. 3.0
    Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Remote Transcription Work

Jul 21, 2020 - General Transcriptionist in Riverside, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You pick the files you want to work on, the way files are split up makes the workload manageable, feedback from editors is clear. No special software to use their online transcription tool, which is easy to learn. I would recommend a foot pedal for audio control though, it will make you more efficient and it's not hard to find one that works with GoTranscript's tool.

Cons

Doesn't pay very much, sometimes the quality of the audio files available is very poor and the money you'd earn is not worth the time and effort it would take to transcribe it accurately. Keeping your accuracy score high enough to continue working on the site can be stressful.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 129 Reviews