Godiva Chocolatier Reviews | Glassdoor

Godiva Chocolatier Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Little support from upper management (in 36 reviews)

• Sometimes can be hard to manage work-life balance especially if you have a family as a lot of holidays are required to work (in 14 reviews)

"Part-Time Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frisco, TX

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to sample all of the chocolates in the case and all new pieces.

Cons

Pay is low and you get no benefits.

Advice to Management

Schedule should work the employee, not for the company

2. "ASM Position"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment and great product.

Cons

Over worked and underpaid employees.

"Fun brand, great past history, passionate field, ??? Future"

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chocolate interaction keeps customer interaction fun and friendly. Solid discount. Company listens to feedback, maybe too much but still good. Strong brand with consumers but small family feel which is nice. Making investments for future in technology. Good mix of long term people and new faces. Grows internally as much as externally with some leadership positions. Passion in most stores is very strong and culture is evident in field for most part.

Cons

Corporate office can be disconnected with what works in stores. More reactive than pro active approach to business, operations. Ulker the newer parent company is bringing in upper management that have little people skills. Say goodbye to holidays with family. Making decisions more for profit than for brand image. Culture is not as evident at upper levels.

Advice to Management

Remember quality brand that has connection with people. We all understand we need to grow and profit. Make sure your decisions reflect what you are verbally telling to field leadership is our direction as inconsistency in this causes frustration and lost direction. Communication and setting up stores to execute consistently from corporate is poor. Remember DM's message to field is what fuels the field.

5. "great for a first job"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Concord, CA

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a wonderful team while working here. It was my first job and a great first job position where I learned the basics of having a job, communications, work ethics etc. It was an overall fun job where I got to dip chocolates and fruits and decorate them.

Cons

Pay was low especially for the workload I was given. I helped the manager with management duties, took conference calls and took on a manager roll when we were temporarily without a manager.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really cool response when telling people you work for GODIVA, the 40% discount on chocolate comes in handy, there is great flexibility in work hours

Cons

Lack of leadership at the executive level is throwing off customer loyalty and creating a lack of clear direction for employees. Lots of frustration for employees worried about job security and lack of excitement for new products. Marketing is giving much attention to smaller, less expensive brands at the expense of Godiva's iconic items such as their world renown Gold Ballotin.

Advice to Management

Work towards embracing feedback from sales representatives in the field who understand the consumer's requests and needs more than a Marketing representative isolated in the NY office. Stop reactionary responses to challenging business situations and create a more intuitive, streamlined organizational chart giving the right people the right responsibilities.

"Payroll Analyst"

Current Employee - Payroll Analyst in Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Payroll Analyst in Wyomissing, PA

Pros

Very nice Corporate Office and good Work Environment. Nice company store discount on Godiva Products, Jeans Friday (Extended through end of year), 2pm Holiday Closures, Summer Hours on Friday 2pm Close, Bonuses.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

I do not have anything negatvie to say, as I love my job and the people that I work with.

"Passion for Godiva"

Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Godiva is a results and solution oriented organization. We are dynamic problem solvers with the customers best interests at heart. We are more than JUST chocolate, we are driven by connecting with each other and our customers. Success are celebrated, and shared. We all grow stronger from sharing experiences, which makes our business and our organization stronger.

Cons

This is a retail environment, commitment to excellence is not optional. Working nights, weekends and holidays isn't optional, no matter what position you hold. Working face to face with each other and our customers isn't optional. This is hard work that is very rewarding, but not everyone is equipped for the performance. Finding the right candidate is crucial to our success.

Advice to Management

It seems that our best employees from entry level to management have some kind of food back ground, be it culinary training or restaurant exposure. We are retail, but we are selling a consumable product. Love of high quality exquisite edibles is a common thread among our best sales people.

"Amazing Company & Brand"

Current Employee - District Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Godiva Chocolatier full-time

Pros

It is a privilege and an honor to represent the iconic brand of Godiva that is rich with 90 years of history and heritage. Passion, drive, and determination are among the qualities needed to be successful at Godiva. Our customers are amazing, and they truly appreciate our quality, standards, and culture. Our legacy continues!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons to share at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to look at our past successes as we plan for the future.

10. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Support Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Support Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborating with a group of intelligent, committed persons from diverse business backgrounds.

Cons

Peripatetic direction from senior management throughout the year made for unfocused brand positioning and ineffective marketing strategy.

Advice to Management

Pick a lane and stay in it.

11. "WTF"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Central Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Central Valley, NY

I worked at Godiva Chocolatier full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is awesome
    Free chocolate
    Fun customers

Cons

Horrible management
    Doesn't care about availability
    Under staffed

Advice to Management

Get new management and actually listen to the staff. Hire more people