KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Godiva Chocolatier

Engaged Employer

Godiva Chocolatier

Add a Review

Godiva Chocolatier Employee Reviews about "training"

Updated Sep 19, 2022

Found 59 of over 880 reviews

3.9
Godiva Chocolatier CEO Nurtac Afridi  (no image)
Nurtac Afridi

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Godiva Chocolatier and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "training"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not bad

Jun 14, 2016 - Corporate Sales Manager/Assistant Boutique Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Recommend
    CEO Approval
    Business Outlook

Pros

We taste all new products every season. They do provide training in both virtual and black and white. 40% discount on regular priced products only. They provide an apron and chef's hat or chef's jacket.

Cons

Management always wants to put more workload upon you even if it's not part of your job. Chocolates are pricey, and wish the discount was more since items are perishable.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I TOOK A SIGNIFICANT PAY CUT TO LEAVE!

Jun 11, 2016 - Boutique Manager
    Recommend
    CEO Approval
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free samples when a new chocolate piece is introduced and a discount on overpriced chocolate

Cons

This is the WORST company I have ever worked for. I thought it would be fun to work with chocolate, I was very wrong. 1. Payroll Hours / $'s - I know that's an issue with every retailer, however be prepared to be by yourself until 2 or 3 pm if you are the opening manager. In that time, you have to complete the morning chocolate dipped treats, customer service, cashier, lease line sampler and dipping other treats you will need for the next 1-3 days. You cant dip ahead of time due to expiration dates. As the closing manager you are by yourself from 5/5:30 - close. You will be customer service, cashier, lease line sampler and stocking the store and clean up. There are no additional payroll hours for floor moves, markdowns, inventory, meetings, training of new employees, bimonthly soft serve machine cleaning and monthly cycle counts. Most of the time, your payroll goal is not provided before the written schedules are due. Schedules were usually rewritten to payroll goals. One month my payroll was not provided until week 3 of a 4 week month and was expected to stay in line with payroll. Also payroll is not provided in hours like a lot of retailers. You are given payroll dollars. That means if you decided to hire some one at $10.50 per hour because they have experience instead of $8, you will have less sales people working because you are only allowed to spend $x on payroll. The payroll figure is for everyone in the store except the Boutique Manager because they are salary 2. Communication- multiple weekly updates and the information contradicts other updates and information changes quickly due to lack of communication at the Corporate level. Corporate conference calls are scheduled during the day when there is no coverage(usually at 12-1 or 1-2pm- you will be by yourself running the store and the conference calls are mandatory. 3. Technology issues - be prepared to not have internet and/or credit card system during holidays. I had multiple holidays when I had no access to communication with my DM (I was sent emails through my cell phone that i had to check . If I did not because I was managing a store full of people, I get a call about why I didn't answer an email.) Since the internet was down I also had to call for every credit card transaction for approval because they were no floor limits for auto approvals. At times I didn't have access to email or corporate communication for over a week. 4. Training - No current formal training program exists. The materials are out of date and not comprehensive. Each store was left up to training there employees which lead to major inconsistencies within the district and company . 5. Sales / Promotions - it was no uncommon for the front table promotion to be mix and match Gems (they cost the customer $.72), Retail 101 - lead with the biggest and best. You never promote the lowest price item in the store and wonder why the Avg Dollar Sale is low. 6. Branding - I was told consistently that we are the Louis Vuitton of chocolate. What??? I've been to Louis Vuitton and they do not have have sales or promotions. There stores are staffed with multiple salespeople waiting to help a customer. And they are not wearing aprons, or chefs coats and hats that have chocolate and soft serve on them. Louis Vuitton also does not sell there product in Walmart, drug stores, Kohls and discount retailers like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. Managers were expected to wear a suit, but why would I wear a suit when I'm by myself for 5-6 hours working with melted chocolate, powders, syrups,whip cream, and soft serve ice cream? 7. Micromanaged when it is convenient, otherwise when you need support there is no help to be found. No calls or emails are returned. DM's come in wearing pencil skirts and 4-5 inch heals and no knowledge of how the store functions and no ability to be helpful. They want to take to