Godwin Pumps Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Michael Paz

1. "Depends who you worked with"

Former Employee - Laborer in Clarksburg, WV
    Former Employee - Laborer in Clarksburg, WV

Pros

Good money for the work. Weekly income was nice. Mostly decent employees. Lots of hours if you can stand them

Cons

No communication between workers and management. Not to good on the waist line of you work pump watch. Not enough training for entry level hires.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate.

2. "Sales representative responsible for designing and engineering bypass pumping systems for construction projects"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bozrah, CT
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bozrah, CT

I worked at Godwin Pumps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, if you enjoy working in the field with contractors, it's an exciting career. When you get hired your sent to Pumps 101 training which is very difficult but the knowledge you gain is priceless.

Cons

Management micro manages the sales team. Sales reps are consistently monitored by management by GPS tracking. Very hard to bring in business. The pumping rental business has become super competitive, Godwins pricing is usually much higher than the competition making it more difficult to close deals.

3. "Godwin has been a great place to work!"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Godwin Pumps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great equipment and availability makes my job easier and less stressful. This gives me an edge over my competition. Also, I receive a company truck that is free as well as fuel is paid for. This allows me to stay in front of my customers over my competition. My sales territory is also reasonably sized. My management is also reasonably laid back and allows us to manage our territories how we see fit as a sales team. This allows us to focus on how to properly manage our business and not just invent an unreasonable plan every week.

Cons

This is hardly a complaint, but I wish we had the option for higher end vehicles as well as more freedom with how we used them.

Advice to Management

My management is great. They have a great work/family balanced. I work hard everyday and they recognize that by giving me the time I need to be with my family.

"Corruption and bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, NJ

I worked at Godwin Pumps (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy job, not much required of you. Just keep quiet and show up and you . Management won't bother you unless you create waves .I worked at Godwin pumps , Bridgeport NJ.

Cons

Management is totally clueless the only thing they are concerned about is the social circle in their click. They actually have no management skills, they fell into that position because they are in the good old boy club. The benefits used to be good, until the corporation cut back, so now they are terrible. Bottom line is , it is a cooperate nightmare company run by morons.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself. Upper Xylem management needs to come down to NJ and clean house.

6. "Pump Manufacturer - sales/rental/service"

Former Employee - AP Supervisor in Bridgeport, NJ
    Former Employee - AP Supervisor in Bridgeport, NJ

Pros

Customer oriented company. Innovative and consistently looking for ways to execute process improvements. Executive management is accessible and communicative. The company is dedicated to employee development.

Cons

Competitive work environment with little room or tolerance for errors.

Advice to Management

Continue to look into employee development to create career-minded employees.

7. "Engineering"

I have been working at Godwin Pumps full-time

Pros

Good benefits and PTO for employees

Cons

Ran to lean in regards to employment

Advice to Management

Pay should reflect preformance

8. "Run the other way"

I have been working at Godwin Pumps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are loyal to each other

Cons

Management from the top down is terrible. The have no concept of work life balance, it's all about the bottom line. You know, the one that keeps them in fancy company paid vehicles, huge raises, unlimited $$ for expensive restaurants and hotels. All the employees ever hear is the dire warnings about how poorly the company is doing, benefit cutbacks, lay offs, etc., but the company perks continue to increase for the management team. The HR team comes out every year and tows the company line right before they tell you how much smaller your paycheck is going to be, how your benefits are going to be reduced and cost you more.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism, cronyism and elitest attitude. You are nothing without those who work for you. The Xylem leadership needs to come in and clean house.

9. "Not much help from management"

I worked at Godwin Pumps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of anything good to say about Godwin.

Cons

Depends on your direct manager but there is zero trust from upper management or home office that any branch level employee can or will do their job correctly. False culture of "family first."

10. "Sales engineer"

Pros

Great benefits and good starting salary.

Cons

the number of hours worked are not enough to justify the higher salary. No work and life balance in which they expect you to work 24/7 to solve emergency calls. High turnover job.

Advice to Management

Salary should be on a hourly basis to compensate for the ridiculous amount of overtime expected. Improve work and life balance to improve employee retention.

"It may be different now that Paz is gone but it was a horrible experience between 2007 and 2009."

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Godwin Pumps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Actually, after long reflection, apart from the weekly paycheck, there were none. Benefits were so-so. Salary was average.

Cons

$250 million dollar company run like a lemonade stand. Owner (Paz) had to control every single facet of the business. Even Senior Management had no purchasing authority. Paz had to approve EVERY invoice. No HR department to speak of, no formal job descriptions or requirements, no reviews ("we do a review when we think it's warranted"), no business plan. Paz got sucked in to some kind of custom software out of a firm in England that promised inventory management, A/R, A/P, CRM and everything under the sun and it totally sucked, but because Paz had sunk $3 million in to it, if you criticized it you were fired. Everybody was in fear of their jobs, half the managers and branch managers kissed Paz's ass so they were good guys. Godwin succeeded in spite of themselves because they had a good product. The sales guys basically had only to sit and wait for the phone to ring. No marketing plan except for trade show booths. Paz would curse out employees in front of their co-workers, top to bottom. His temper was horrible. A 55-year old bachelor, living with his mom, he couldn't understand why all his employees didn't want to work 70-hour weeks. If you left before 6:30 at night, your dedication was suspect. In early 2009, he laid off a bunch of employees out in the field offices and then bought himself a nice Range Rover. That's the kind of guy he was.