Gogo Business Aviation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gogo Business Aviation General Manager Sergio Aguierre
Sergio Aguierre

Pros
  • They have a good work/life balance in engineering at least, there are a lot of older developers with a lot of knowledge to bestow, and (in 9 reviews)

• Gogo Business Aviation is the leader in the avionics telecommunications industry and currently hold a competitive advantage in this market (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Gogo BA is frequently seen as the redheaded stepchild by its "parent" company, Gogo CA (in 2 reviews)

• The GM said no one was getting fired (in 2 reviews)

"Established Company with Startup Feel"

I have been working at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun/exciting place to work, aways looking for ways to innovate and rewards employees for their ideas, best work environment I've ever encountered, promotes work/life balance, challenging technological problems to solve.

Cons

Nothing notable at this time.

Advice to Management

Do everything you can to keep the culture you have created. By creating an environment where employees look forward to coming into work, you are much farther ahead of other technology companies. Keep being open to change with regard to technology, tools, and engineering practices.

2. "Going through growing pains"

Former Employee - Just Another Fomer Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Just Another Fomer Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has some very talented people who get along reasonably well.
    Lots of opportunity for free lunches.
    Nice location!

Cons

The free food comes at a cost - lunch meetings. This seems to be the norm.
    Development is constantly chasing whatever sales desires that week.
    Leadership could do better about sending a consistent message.

Advice to Management

Work on creating a collaborative environment and increasing communication.

"Not for the faint of heart"

Former Employee - Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is reasonable.

There's "unlimited time off", which I'm sure that the people who aren't productive will take advantage of.

Cons

That surreal feeling when three levels of management above you are discussing your idea, but they're too dumb to understand it, and too egotistical to acknowledge you or ask you to speak to it (while you're in the room)? That's Gogo.

Management will work you hard, and take credit for your work, and spend that credit trying to add new layers between you (the worker) them, and sequester you from the people who actually make decisions (who, by the way, have no clue about fundamental aspects of the product that you work on). Gogo loves it's layers.

Gogo says it's Agile, but that's not true. They got rid of scrum masters. Planning is really just giving you a set of features they require, and a date to hit. Every PI is a ridiculous ask, and management will demand every feature, and then try to close the gap by hiring more people - people you'll have to train while also maintaining capacity.

Advice to Management

Lose the layers, respect your workers.

Apr 17, 2017

We have a culture of accountability and transparency, where employees are encouraged to discuss issues and concerns with their Managers and the executive team. As an organization, we make changes ... More

"Great Company - Improving all the time"

Current Employee - Senior Automation Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Automation Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The number one reason to work at Gogo are the people that work here. I've never worked in such an encouraging, supporting company across the board.

Cons

There are some silos in the company, and there's a particular division between Business Aviation and Commercial Aviation. I think these barriers are starting to be broken, down, but it's a work in progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and the company will soar.

"Off to a great start"

I have been working at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the onboarding to be systematic and supportive, both from HR and from my department manager and colleagues. Work-life balance is honored, and I am encouraged to manage my long commute with early arrival/departure and a couple days a week working from home.

Cons

I'm newish here, and it looks like we're working toward more cross-team collaboration, with clear steps being made... but we're not there yet. Employees who have been here longer than I talk about the rapid pace of change.

Jan 3, 2017 – Employer

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We are happy to hear your onboarding has prepared you with the knowledge you need and assisted you in being able to hit the ground running ... More

"A great company that continues to improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has grown up and changed a lot in the last 4-5 years. A much better leadership/management team now seems to be in place. Employees at all levels are being held accountable for their work. Bright future, great people, and a desire to continually do better.

Cons

There are always things that can be done better in every company. Even though lots of improvements have been made, still needs a little bit more team-to-team, department-to-department, and division-to-division harmony.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, keep trying to make an impact, continue to hold people accountable, and continue to act on the feedback employees provide.

"Great company and fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The executive team is super smart and willing to listen, which is why I'm a bit surprised at some of the reviews suggesting otherwise. Maybe it has changed. I've pitched ideas and plans that were quite foreign to the organization, and they were considered, embraced and implemented.

Cons

Collaboration within my team is great. I do think cross-departmental collaboration and processes need improvement. The management team is aware of this and is working towards making this better.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on improving quality and instilling the "one team" approach across the organization. This idea is is right and needed.

"The writing is on these walls!"

Former Employee - Engineer I in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Gogo Business Aviation full-time

Pros

If you want to work for a company with the potential to lead an entire industry, Gogo is the place to work. Their use of satellite technology and hardware easily puts them years ahead of competition. When this becomes a crowded space in the not so far off future, Gogo is the clear winner.

Cons

Best put, an earlier comment described the corporate structure as taking on the shape of a mushroom.

The life and blood of Gogo flows through the fingertips of a handful of engineers, and the rest is a hefty corps of turf protecting managers, directors, product owners, analysts, product managers, and vice presidents. Smart people at the top. Smart people at the bottom. In the middle, not so much.

Advice to Management

Modern agile tech teams are small, self-organizing, stacked with super cool individuals who are some of the smartest people you'll meet. Successful teams don't really care much for authority figures who are uninsightful or too scared to challenge senior leadership members.

I felt comfortable being in your office for the first time in my nearly two years at Gogo a couple days after the first "One Team" all hands meeting. I was verbally reprimanded for doing so and this is the type of thing that keeps 50% of your engineers leaving < 1 year in.

All of us want the same thing you do and lots of these people are full of ideas on how to take Gogo to unmatchable levels. Unfortunately the impenetrable layer in-between us will continue to be a roadblock and finding a job down the street where I can truly help a company grow and become better every day, is easier than dealing with these issues.

John, you're doing a great job at being transparent and communicating a clear mission, strategy and goals but you're surrounded by "yes" management. People do not provide a clear picture of what is going on from an operational basis which is leading to a struggling product at ground level.

People are too comfortable, and thats how you lose market share. Figure out how to move fast and prioritize user experience and innovation. Your innovators are getting bored and leaving.

"Undergone major change and the better for it"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Gogo Business Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recent changes have cleared out non-performing chaff and the company is much better streamlined for it. There is a legacy, from the old days where crrtain groups would amble along missing deadlines while the rest of the company had to compensate for them. Thankfully, that is being remedied and, although its contributing to a growing diaspora of disgruntled ex-employees, the company is better for it.

Cons

Stock incentives are very poor at a company where the stock continues to plummet. Best most people get is 10% off every three months.

Advice to Management

Keep the course with changes. The company cannot afford to carry pasengers when its this small. Incentivize your employees better and let them share the rewards. Deliver things on time and hold accountable those who adversely affect that goal.

Apr 6, 2016 – EVP & General Manager Gogo Business Aviation

First and foremost, I want to thank you for all your hard work! I appreciate you noticing all the changes we are implementing and your passion for what we do. I also understand and recognize the ... More

"Dysfunctional Management"

Former Employee - Engineer III in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Broomfield, CO

Pros

Build your own job security. 100% 401k match.

Cons

Lots of people in high-up positions purely due to seniority and not their background and it shows.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting and hiring on your best-friends. The culture reflects this mentality and your product can and should be 100 fold better with competent team members that have a proper background.