Gogo Reviews | Glassdoor

Oakleigh Thorne
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is a challenge due to an on-call schedule that is very invasive on one's life in the current state (in 11 reviews)

• Because of the large amount of growth in short period of time we continue to go through growing pains (in 8 reviews)

"The Sky's The Limit"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gogo lives at the intersection of Software, Hardware, & the Airline industry. It's a fascinating problem space and rewarding to see your work take to the sky.

You'll quickly see how complex this industry is when you look at the various groups within Gogo. From HR to RF, there's something for everyone. And because we're relatively small for the industry, your work has a huge impact.

Our company is in the goldilocks zone of size. It's not too big where you feel like your voice will never be heard, and it's not too small where you have to work on the weekends because the CEO won't leave you alone. It's stable, well funded, and has an exciting amount of business lined up.

Cons

Every company has its challenges, and Gogo is no exception. Gogo's stem from the unique industry it serves, its long history, and rapid growth.

The biggest thing I look for in a company is its ability to adapt. I think Gogo nails this one and knows that market change can come quickly and therefore company change has to as well. I've been with Gogo for over 3 years and I've seen it change considerably, in ways that continue to keep me there.

Next, the quality of people is make or break for a growth-oriented environment. At Gogo, they know the value for good talent. You'll find engineers who love what they do and are open to sharing it. From your own field to complimentary ones, Gogo has a wealth of talent which is refreshing to leverage when you need it.

Advice to Management

Management at Gogo knows the industry, which direction to go, and how best to get us there. Every time I hear them talk I agree with what they have to say. You often see the executives around the building and they're always approachable.

For each department, management knows their stuff. There are no paper VPs simply conducting. Many are very hands on and know their groups well. They could replace an engineer in a meeting and hold their own. It's always important to see hands-on management and I'm glad Gogo has it.

"Dev"

Former Employee - Dev in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Dev in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location in the city is close to all transportation.
    Flexible hours, unlimited PTO.
    Some cool technology

Cons

Several departments working on the same thing, and they have their own Team lead and their own idea and their own way / sweet talk to their VPs. Those who so call become team lead really don't have any ability to work with their own team. They got team lead because they are in GOGO for x amount of years and they consider themselves as a Sr. Apart from does gogo really secure place? No matter how smart/hard you work and deliver on time, you won't get any means any recognization, your team lead will take all credit. Work condition is really toxic. Few departments on TechFloor's Manager / Team lead needs to go out of gogo and try to find a new job and see what happen. Gogo already lost best tech people, and their Manager / Team Lead know why, but they won't talk.

Advice to Management

Please work directly with employees and not with their Manager / Team Leads. Allow them to speak, and how they feel about their Team Lead / Manager. Take proper action based on review.

"No Go for Gogo"

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average salary
    Flexible schedule
    Exciting product

Cons

High Stress
    Chaotic/Toxic Environment
    Constant Reorganization
    Dis-functional Management

Advice to Management

Focus on execution and continuous improvement.

"Please don’t work here."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location in the city is close to all transportation.
    Roof top of building.
    Free beer.
    Flexible hours, unlimited PTO.
    Some cool technology.

Cons

I would like to start with how my Gogo journey ended, my exit interview. It was scheduled for 30 minutes. I arrived at my HR business partner’s office. I waited, and waited, and then waited some more. My HRBP was over 10 minutes late to a 30 minute exit interview. Once we finally got started, HR asked me 2-3 brief questions and seemed completely disinterested in what I had to say. The entire exit interview lasted 15 minutes, including the first 10 minutes of me waiting. I figured this is what would happen, but still surprised. I would expect as a company, that exit interviews would be valuable information on why some employees are leaving. That way they could try to make the company either better, improve employee experience, or maybe fix an issue that exists. I have read other responses from Gogo HR about all these Gogo initiatives that are going in now or have been there to help improve. The problem is if you are not listening, nothing will change. You could have 300 processes and it won’t matter. Just like the employee survey, where nothing has ever changed. I had been with the company for a number of years and although these “initiatives” are in place it has only gotten worse. I left my exit interview feeling disregarded, this was a great reminder why I was leaving. I had a lot of doubt about leaving, but once this happened, I knew I was leaving for a good reason. Because if HR could not even show me common decency, like showing up to the meeting they scheduled. How could anyone else in the company.

Management

Gogo management 101: “If it’s worth doing, they must have at least three different teams doing it, all triplicating work and resources with zero communication.”

The horrible toxic self loathing management. Where to begin. I think if you read through many reviews you will see complaints about management. There’s a reason.

1. Communication - between each layer of the company there are break downs in communication or simply no communication.
        2. No vision or direction. No one has any idea what the true vision of the company is, nor their department, their group, and most times even what their job is. No one knows which department is doing what work since their boss has no idea, and their bosses boss either cannot be found or is confused as well.
        3. Clear favoritism. This is between entire departments and individuals. We all know favoritism is going to happen sooner or later in any work environment. The problem at Gogo is they do not try and get rid of it, it is embraced and part of the Gogo culture. Some departments are allowed to spend almost endless capital. Other departments are allowed to hire at will, even during “so called” hiring freezes. Some managers are very blatant in their favoritism of employees, it is well known. I honestly don’t even care to get into it. Suffice to say some employees are untouchable.
        4. Too much management, the org cart looks like a redwood.
        5. Unqualified management. There are countless managers, director and VPs who have no business in their job. One particular management level job requirement was 10+ years in industry. The individual they hired had just over a year of experience, most of which was at Gogo. This was just the first requirement on the list by the way...

The VPs

I understand that VPs are part of management. But they are so special at Gogo they deserve their own category.

For starters, Gogo has so many VPs, some with direct reports, which begs the question. Why are they a VP, and not just a manager? But why waste time contemplating that conundrum, there are VPs of no one... (sigh ...)

Now past the VPs of no one. Most are looking to gain more office territory by trying to steal other VPs departments. Every 6 months there is either a small reorganization, or a major reorganization.
    Each time some VPs gain more office capital by getting more employees and departments. Even if they don’t know what they do, or have plans to continue the work they were doing. This is the constant state at Gogo. Everyone has to wait for the VPs to settle their disputes in order to get back to work. That’s if they even have a job, or all their work is now irrelevant and have to start over on something new...until the next reorganization.

Working with VPs.

When a new VP comes into a project or task, they state an idea that everyone has had for the past 10 years and claim it as their own “NEW” idea. Now since it is Gogo, it is now officially a new idea in Gogo-land terms. Until the next VP, usually 6 months to a year, is put on that project and come up with a “NEW” (same) idea.

Now under the wonderfully “NEW” idea. These VPs will ask multiple departments usually around 30-50 people minimum to meetings to talk about their “NEW” idea and how they are going to fix it. Well this is good, let’s get communication between departments to fix the issue! Not exactly, this only means for the next 3-6 months everyone will waste their time in meetings, building reports for this VP. Only that VP will never make a decision on what to do next, besides stating their “NEW” idea. By the end of this cycle most people involved stopped going to the meetings—usually the VP first—and this whole initiative is dropped. Again, until the next VP has a “NEW” idea.

Project + product management

Little so say on product and project management side other than they have no idea how the products works, the technology involved, who the key players are in making it work, and simply don’t care to hear anyone else’s opinions that don’t support theirs. They are basically the masters of useless excel sheets.

Quality.

There is zero focus on quality in everything that Gogo does. This is why there is at almost all times a red alarm going off, because some new crisis just started and every single issue boils down to lack of quality.

Example:

The software is complete and utter garbage, good luck debugging an issue or even finding someone to help. There are things called best practices, I’m not sure Gogo has ever heard of them.

Gogo culture.

“Not my job, talk to so and so”

Gogo culture is a very unique thing in all the wrong ways. Most of what encompasses Gogo culture is back stabbing, lying and trying to push others down, so they can move up. Gogo doesn’t reward those who work hard, work as a team or those who follow to the proper channels. Basically if you want to find the best example of what a work culture should not be. Look no further!

Human Resources.

HR is one of the biggest problems at Gogo. If you have an issue and feel the need to discuss with HR. First write down your issue on a piece of paper. Then take your piece of paper, and throw it in the trash. This will honestly help you out, and you will get a better result.

If you do actually discuss your issues with HR, they will essentially do nothing and ignore it (just like every employee survey). I would say Gogo needs to clean house with some of their HR, but it won’t matter, since they will quit in 6 months to a year anyway and you are left with another HR person who doesn’t care

Advice to Management

Reward those who really work hard and want the company to succeed. Don't just reward those who show up to the most meetings and talk the loudest. Maybe try listening to the people who have been with the company for almost, if not 10+ years, the ones who have been saying the same thing year after year.

I am sure I wont receive a response on this review, but if Gogo is actually interested in talking more about these issues and many more. I would love to discuss these, there are still some amazing employees at Gogo I would love to help if somehow possible

Mar 18, 2018 – SVP, HR

We understand the value of the insight that can be gained from employees throughout their employment at Gogo. Because of this, every employee is given multiple opportunities such as the employee... More

"Seems growing and size expansion"

I worked at Gogo full-time

Pros

Good location, business cultural, balanced workload

Cons

old tech cannot feed me as a new grad

"Depends in which team your working at Gogo"

Former Employee - Systems Integration & Test Engineer/E2E QA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Integration & Test Engineer/E2E QA in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities in a great location.
    Interesting technology.
    Opportunity to work with a lot of very smart people from different teams such as IT, Systems Engineering and Networking.
    Overall, there are good employee benefits (reimbursement of phone bill, free inflight wifi etc.)
    CEO has great vision and mission.

Cons

It is very sad to write this review but I need to advice this to everyone.
    Please do not join this team know as "System Integration & Test or End to End QA" which sits on the 12th floor. Worst experience while working here, at Gogo,
    and the reason for this is because of the Director of the team. The Director is a big micro-manager who hires inexperienced managers (they don't have real time
    experience with Engineering, Aviation and In-flight industry) who also coincidentally happen to be previously acquainted with the Director.
    Furthermore, upon instruction from the Director these previously-acquainted Managers make family members/friends of the Director as leads--making it a one big work family from the same cultural background.Due to this nepotism, most of the team members are inexperienced and uneducated on the technology, so when features and technology go into production they fail. Consequently, the leads and managers point fingers at the engineers--when in reality their carelessness and inexperience cause problems. Outsiders will have nothing to learn, as all the new features and new technological work is assigned to the Directors favorite members and friends.
    Due to all of this Gogo is losing money and talented workers who either resign or are fired after much harassment, politics, and unfair practices.
    When complaints of all these practices make it to the 12th floor HR, HR does not investigate the complaint and instead takes part in the team's politics and
     reprimands the person who makes the original complaint.

Advice to Management

To the CEO Michael Small, VP of Quality Arbela, and the VP of HR - kindly Please look into all of this. Gogo is an amazing company and it has lot of potential, but due to these directors and managers your company is loosing tons of money!

Feb 22, 2018 – SVP, HR

I’m sorry to hear you do not recommend Gogo as an employer. It reads from your review that you enjoyed the organization, technology, benefits, and people - all of which is why many come and stay at... More

"Fast pace, challenging & great benefits"

I have been working at Gogo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace and challenging environment, promotes constant growth , great location in down town and benefits, some folks are really nice to work with .

Cons

Lack of communication & transparency from upper management to middle and then lower folks. Not sure if it’s getting better but there is huge silo between Engineering & I.T & that doesn’t really fosters healthy environment.

Advice to Management

- be transparent to your folks.
    - clear state your team vision and a road map
    - build leaders not just managers
    - invest in your people .

"Exciting Technology, Great People, Fantastic Benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gogo is a true technology organization. We try to remain as progressive as possible when it comes to our tech stack, and are always evaluating new technologies that we could incorporate into our environment.

The people here are great! It's very obvious that people here work hard because they are passionate about the products and services that we provide.

Gogo provides excellent benefits. Great health insurance options, 401K program, maternity/paternity leave, lots of time off to re-energize. Cool office, with a lounge for employees to unwind in, fun holiday/summer party.

Cons

We've grown fast, so there are some processes that need improvement. Leadership seems to be aware of this and they have been working on restructuring teams as needed and incorporating more tools into the environment to help long term.

Advice to Management

Keep on truckin'...looking forward to what's ahead!

"Not the job they sell you."

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits that start on your first day.

Cons

Management at all levels is removed, and ignores the needs of the staff.
    HR listens to issues but doesn't do anything about them.
    Staff have little room to grow outside of their current department.
    Mentorship and training are non-existant in many departments.
    Facilities staff are under too much burden without positive feed-back or examples to follow.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, and spend more time learning their jobs.
    Stop hiring so many unskilled college graduates.
    Hire more seasoned professionals.
    Keep ahead of the game, and speed up installations.

Nov 22, 2017 – SVP, HR

I’m sorry you don’t recommend Gogo as an employer. We are tireless in our pursuit of excellence and focus on continuous improvement; and many changes that are made come from suggestions of our... More

"Didn't care for the work environment here."

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and great location.

Cons

Things move way too fast. If your the kind of person who thrives in an environment where speed and profits are valued over creative thinking, go for it. Otherwise I would stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dec 12, 2017 – Employer

We are sorry to hear Gogo wasn't the right fit for you. It is very important to us as a technology company to stay ahead of trends in the market and continuously innovate, which leads to moving at an... More