Gogo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Michael J. Small

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-Life balance is a challenge due to an on-call schedule that is very invasive on one's life in the current state (in 12 reviews)

• Because of the large amount of growth in short period of time we continue to go through growing pains (in 8 reviews)

"The Sky's The Limit"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gogo lives at the intersection of Software, Hardware, & the Airline industry. It's a fascinating problem space and rewarding to see your work take to the sky.

You'll quickly see how complex this industry is when you look at the various groups within Gogo. From HR to RF, there's something for everyone. And because we're relatively small for the industry, your work has a huge impact.

Our company is in the goldilocks zone of size. It's not too big where you feel like your voice will never be heard, and it's not too small where you have to work on the weekends because the CEO won't leave you alone. It's stable, well funded, and has an exciting amount of business lined up.

Cons

Every company has its challenges, and Gogo is no exception. Gogo's stem from the unique industry it serves, its long history, and rapid growth.

The biggest thing I look for in a company is its ability to adapt. I think Gogo nails this one and knows that market change can come quickly and therefore company change has to as well. I've been with Gogo for over 3 years and I've seen it change considerably, in ways that continue to keep me there.

Next, the quality of people is make or break for a growth-oriented environment. At Gogo, they know the value for good talent. You'll find engineers who love what they do and are open to sharing it. From your own field to complimentary ones, Gogo has a wealth of talent which is refreshing to leverage when you need it.

Advice to Management

Management at Gogo knows the industry, which direction to go, and how best to get us there. Every time I hear them talk I agree with what they have to say. You often see the executives around the building and they're always approachable.

For each department, management knows their stuff. There are no paper VPs simply conducting. Many are very hands on and know their groups well. They could replace an engineer in a meeting and hold their own. It's always important to see hands-on management and I'm glad Gogo has it.

"Seems growing and size expansion"

I worked at Gogo full-time

Pros

Good location, business cultural, balanced workload

Cons

old tech cannot feed me as a new grad

"Depends in which team your working at Gogo"

Former Employee - Systems Integration & Test Engineer/E2E QA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Integration & Test Engineer/E2E QA in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities in a great location.
    Interesting technology.
    Opportunity to work with a lot of very smart people from different teams such as IT, Systems Engineering and Networking.
    Overall, there are good employee benefits (reimbursement of phone bill, free inflight wifi etc.)
    CEO has great vision and mission.

Cons

It is very sad to write this review but I need to advice this to everyone.
    Please do not join this team know as "System Integration & Test or End to End QA" which sits on the 12th floor. Worst experience while working here, at Gogo,
    and the reason for this is because of the Director of the team. The Director is a big micro-manager who hires inexperienced managers (they don't have real time
    experience with Engineering, Aviation and In-flight industry) who also coincidentally happen to be previously acquainted with the Director.
    Furthermore, upon instruction from the Director these previously-acquainted Managers make family members/friends of the Director as leads--making it a one big work family from the same cultural background.Due to this nepotism, most of the team members are inexperienced and uneducated on the technology, so when features and technology go into production they fail. Consequently, the leads and managers point fingers at the engineers--when in reality their carelessness and inexperience cause problems. Outsiders will have nothing to learn, as all the new features and new technological work is assigned to the Directors favorite members and friends.
    Due to all of this Gogo is losing money and talented workers who either resign or are fired after much harassment, politics, and unfair practices.
    When complaints of all these practices make it to the 12th floor HR, HR does not investigate the complaint and instead takes part in the team's politics and
     reprimands the person who makes the original complaint.

Advice to Management

To the CEO Michael Small, VP of Quality Arbela, and the VP of HR - kindly Please look into all of this. Gogo is an amazing company and it has lot of potential, but due to these directors and managers your company is loosing tons of money!

Feb 22, 2018 – SVP, HR

I’m sorry to hear you do not recommend Gogo as an employer. It reads from your review that you enjoyed the organization, technology, benefits, and people - all of which is why many come and stay at... More

"Fast pace, challenging & great benefits"

I have been working at Gogo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace and challenging environment, promotes constant growth , great location in down town and benefits, some folks are really nice to work with .

Cons

Lack of communication & transparency from upper management to middle and then lower folks. Not sure if it’s getting better but there is huge silo between Engineering & I.T & that doesn’t really fosters healthy environment.

Advice to Management

- be transparent to your folks.
    - clear state your team vision and a road map
    - build leaders not just managers
    - invest in your people .

"Exciting Technology, Great People, Fantastic Benefits!"

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gogo is a true technology organization. We try to remain as progressive as possible when it comes to our tech stack, and are always evaluating new technologies that we could incorporate into our environment.

The people here are great! It's very obvious that people here work hard because they are passionate about the products and services that we provide.

Gogo provides excellent benefits. Great health insurance options, 401K program, maternity/paternity leave, lots of time off to re-energize. Cool office, with a lounge for employees to unwind in, fun holiday/summer party.

Cons

We've grown fast, so there are some processes that need improvement. Leadership seems to be aware of this and they have been working on restructuring teams as needed and incorporating more tools into the environment to help long term.

Advice to Management

Keep on truckin'...looking forward to what's ahead!

"Not the job they sell you."

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits that start on your first day.

Cons

Management at all levels is removed, and ignores the needs of the staff.
    HR listens to issues but doesn't do anything about them.
    Staff have little room to grow outside of their current department.
    Mentorship and training are non-existant in many departments.
    Facilities staff are under too much burden without positive feed-back or examples to follow.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, and spend more time learning their jobs.
    Stop hiring so many unskilled college graduates.
    Hire more seasoned professionals.
    Keep ahead of the game, and speed up installations.

Nov 22, 2017 – SVP, HR

I’m sorry you don’t recommend Gogo as an employer. We are tireless in our pursuit of excellence and focus on continuous improvement; and many changes that are made come from suggestions of our... More

"Nice place, nicepople, cool tech"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is easy to discuss your time off needs with your manager and I have never had any rejected.

The pace is fast and ever changing, if you find that your cup of tea you will love it here.

Cutting edge, the current project s are industry changing and being invented and deployed here.

Cons

at times the pace can be over whelming - but that can be mitigated to a point.
    You have to be prepared to abandon what you are working on to focus on another priority .

We do have a couple silo' s especially in IT that seem to be doing their own thing without care or cause to the organization.

Advice to Management

I Love it here and will be here until you are tired of me. But, there is the Silo in I.T. that needs to communicate whatever secret there is, given the challenges that are IT related, they could use some help of the really smart people that are here. - just try to project in a conference room !

Nov 16, 2017 – VP, IT

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and belief that there is a silo with IT. IT is always working to support the organizational initiatives, unique business directions and... More

"Didn't care for the work environment here."

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and great location.

Cons

Things move way too fast. If your the kind of person who thrives in an environment where speed and profits are valued over creative thinking, go for it. Otherwise I would stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dec 12, 2017 – Employer

We are sorry to hear Gogo wasn't the right fit for you. It is very important to us as a technology company to stay ahead of trends in the market and continuously innovate, which leads to moving at an... More

"Much potential, shaky future"

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work/life balance (although that may depend on department and manager)
    - Nice facilities in a great location
    - Interesting technology
    - Interesting industry
    - Opportunity to work with a lot of very smart people

Cons

- Disorganized/unclear priorities
    - Difficult to make an impact
    - Bad/non-existent career development
    - Lots of dead weight throughout the organization
    - Bad leadership

Advice to Management

Communicate a clear vision from the c-level team with a plan of execution beyond buzzwords and infographics. Or replace who we have today with people who can. We've seen an increase in transparency through townhall meetings and increased communications from Michael Small, however at the individual contributor level it's still incredibly difficult to understand what, exactly, we should be spending our time on.

There's a lot of dead weight at Gogo and a lot of people who don't belong in the positions they hold. There's also many incredibly smart people who are dropping like flies because of the disorganization and lack of good leadership. We've seen it acknowledged publicly that Gogo has a culture problem, but leadership has never defined what culture is and how it should be maintained beyond a nice lounge and free beer. Gogo will continue to bleed talent while faith is lacking around these issues ever being remedied.

"Perfect Balance"

Current Employee - Dataops in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Dataops in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoying working in GOGO, perfect work and personal life balance. Very good technology being used here @ gogo.

Cons

I don't see any cons.

Advice to Management

Management is really good. I don't have any advice.

Nov 6, 2017 – Employer

Thank you for all your hard work over the past 3 years. Looking forward to celebrating together this December. Cheers!