Gogo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Oakleigh Thorne

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fast paced work environment; you are never bored and something new to learn" (in 17 reviews)

• "Gogo provides great work/life balance and knows how to recognize it;s employees" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Because of the large amount of growth in short period of time we continue to go through growing pains" (in 8 reviews)

• "The environment can be fast paced which is good - but sometimes moves too fast" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Worked in matrix environment, got opportunity to easy interact with people at all hierarchical level.

Cons

I loved working there. No downside.

2. "Good Luck to all"

I worked at Gogo full-time

Pros

I wanted to work at Gogo since I was 25! I got the opportunity to and I am glad that I did. I am hopefully that Oak and team can make Gogo what it should be because I know it can be successful with the right leadership in place.

Cons

The state of the business is shaky right now but I feel they are on the right path with Oak in place!!

Advice to Management

Continue moving forward and making Gogo successful.

"Struggling company that can’t seem to execute."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some great people trying hard. acne

Cons

Financial difficulties. Will be difficult to thrive.

4. "Too late ?"

I worked at Gogo full-time

Pros

Smart People. Engineering team is strong. It used to be strong.

Cons

Lost some good leaders over the years

"Gogo Engineer"

I have been working at Gogo full-time

Pros

Good people, with a mix of young and old. Excellent office.

Cons

Programs are not always managed well.

"Don't Trust at all."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, nice employees in most departments. Good Office, less commute from Train Station.

Cons

It is a culture full of biased, power-hungry gluttons that don't care who they step on.
    Disingenuous leadership, racial and ethnic bias, no career path, "benefits" doled out as a privilege to some, a right to others. Those who can't finish their project become Team Manager in other Team, keep everything under them, don't involve entire team, because they know if they involve team, Team will grow and take control of project. Few of the Managers are 100% dreadful, Don't even trust them, few of them are not even loyal but they showoff they are loyal to the company. One of the Manager is so powerHungry that he can do anything to go on upper Mgmt. He can and will throw you under the bus in split of second. We all know favoritism is going to happen in any work environment, the problem at GoGo is they don't try and get ride of it, it's embraced and part of culture.

Advice to Management

Reward those who really work hard and want the company to succeed. Don't just reward those who show up to the most meetings and talk the loudest. Maybe try listening to the people who have been with the company for almost, if not 10+ years, the ones who have been saying the same thing year after year.

"Proceed With Caution"

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. They comp your time if (and when) you work after business hours. They invest in your education/training. Great location downtown. If they can make the company profitable again, it can be great again.

Cons

"Unlimited time off" is a scam. You are expected to be available 24/7 depending on your department. Constant re-organizations. Too much overhead (your job could be somebody else's next quarter). Lots of wasted time and money on projects that never come to fruition.

Advice to Management

I don't think it matters at this point. My advice to current and future employees is to learn what you can, do your work, and keep an eye on the door just in case.

Gogo Response

May 1, 2018 – SVP, HR

First, I’d like to thank you for your 3+ years of service to help build our organization, as well as taking the time to write your review. Discretionary time off ( or “DTO”) was added to our benefits... More

"Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Quality in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Quality in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent, nice employees in most departments.

Cons

Disingenuous leadership, racial and ethnic bias, no career path, "benefits" doled out as a privilege to some, a right to others. People were often passed up for promotion and denied training opportunities without explanation.

Advice to Management

Clean house starting at the top - especially HR - the H stands for HORRIBLY INEPT.

"A year in review as a software engineer at Gogo"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Senior leadership has acknowledged the lack of process and is currently implementing a development process centered around SAFe methodology.
    - Compensation package is actually great for the most part; The benefits are top notch on paper.
    - The occasional pizza lunch and cultural events are nice, and the occasional surprise half days are a plus.
    - Talented, dedicated people work here
    - Opportunity is high with the current market share belonging to Gogo
    - The devops toolchain is actually quite nice; their support has been appreciated.
    - There are dedicated QE/QA engineers, If given the right opportunity, most of them could be full on software engineers here or elsewhere.
    - We have the potential to hire great talent with industry recognition of Gogo.
    - Flexible hours, I have never been hounded about needing to work remotely a couple days a week at most. I come in during a reasonable hour and leave when my work is done. DTO policy is probably team specific but fair expectations have been set. No one seems to actively abuse remote work or DTO policy.
    - The standard equipment issued to engineers is pretty up to date. I would prefer a windows machine but new macbook pros are standard issue it seems for new software engineer hires unless otherwise specified. You can easily get new equipment day of from IT.

Cons

- Lack of defined development process leads to too many frustrations to count
    - Poor team management. There have been some senior staffing changes, it is unseen currently as to how those changes will affect us at a individual level.
    - Oftentimes unable to get group participation on meetings (especially from those who are traditionally busy)
    - Overall poor internal team communication with external teams being overall disconnected from one another
    - Needlessly aggressive and arbitrary deadlines followed by no acknowledgement on completion. (This is a symptom of lack of process)
    - My opinion feels vastly undervalued. I feel often when I express my opinion, it's greeted with an explanation as to why i'm wrong, leaving me feeling as though my opinion wasn't even considered. The responses often times feel under informed and over simplified.
    - I feel somewhat alone despite a large team around me. Most people are unfortunately too focused on their task at hand to engage in other issues including team building.
    - I don't feel I have time for company tasks such as "required" performance reviews let alone no time for socializing in lounge, etc. I feel that I can't take DTO as when I leave work I feel I am constantly playing catch up when I return leaving me behind.
    - For a while, I would rarely interact with management given their limited availability. This lead to me feeling like I'm not a priority and rather a nuisance. They have recently improved but this is a trend I have noticed across many glassdoor reviews. Point being, don't expect your manager to hold your hand through these processes.
    - Meeting schedules are hard for a lot of people here. If a meeting is scheduled for 10:30, it often times doesn't start until 10 minutes later. Frequently time is spent waiting for "key" people to show up.
    - Some people don't actually read what I say in slack, jira, wiki, or email conversations. I find that I will take the time to explicitly write a problem I am having in detail and oftentimes the response I get back shows no indication they have even read the problem. The response is typically rather something to pacify my concern until ultimately I figure it out alone.
    - Stand ups currently carry little value. They are used currently to allow people to quickly spew out what they are working on rather than taking the time to try and collaborate together. Some members hijack meetings with multiple minute updates really that should be had as a sidebar conversation outside of standup. Leads to people just spouting status updates as quickly as possible and everyone zoning out.
    - Certain team members require being spoon fed information to succeed. If there is documentation readily available, instead of going there first, some of the team ask questions that would be front in center of the documentation.
    - Most work requests follow no process. I could be working on something thats "high priority" today and the next day its the "lowest priority". There is little direction from a product road mapping perspective. Any given day, I don't know what my priority should be. We have a sprint plan and that is thrown out the window for whatever production issue is on fire, and whatever priority is that day.
    - Remote work is not supported well through process. Oftentimes leaves remote employee left feeling secondary and under valued. There have been steps to improve but ultimately its likely dependent by team.
    - I often times do not receive direct feedback unless it is negative. Prop points was implemented as a way to combat this however its underutilized in certain departments and teams.
    - Oftentimes I feel I put in more effort than what I get back in return.
    - The pace that's expected to complete tasks doesn't allow for proper process including documentation, testing, design discussion, etc. Simply put, its go as fast as you can until burnout, then rinse and repeat. Each day is a reflection of what your manager wants, not what has been previously discussed in sprint planning (almost non existent)
    - Communication is often times forced to be face to face. For instance I emailed HR business partner about a transfer, never received a reply. Point being, don't expect HR or many teams for that matter to jump through hoops to help unless you physically go there to discuss your problems face to face.
    - We don't embrace failure but rather make it scary. a lot of people seem on edge.
    - The teams seem to mesh well when given defined goals, I just feel there is littler organization as to how teams interact.
    - Changes to my respective project are often times not communicated. I'll find changes to the codebase I'm supposed to be working on changed sometimes by team members without any explanation behind them. Each instance I need to go out of my way to track down why the change was made, in short its frustrating and likely due to poor team communication.
    - Rarely get to design, or implement new functionality. I feel a majority of my role has consisted of writing documentation, tests, and organizing the project as a project manager / software lead. Your role coming in may vary from what you interviewed or were hired to do.
    - Almost no on the job training. I picked up the tools and process over time, but not as a reflection of managements help.
    - Did I mention employee turnover? Some people I work with are working on code that is almost comically under documented and supported.
    - I don't feel I have ever felt good about how people communicate internally here. It feels like they do not share the same goals and bicker internally.
    - Slight understanding barrier; Gogo is quite a cultural melting pot, this is ultimately a good thing however it does have its challenges. Occasionally I have had a hard understanding some thicker accents. I admittedly zone out during this time as I simply can't comprehend anything being said.
    - There are tools in place to help fix some issues (quarterly reviews, training, etc) however there is no accountability when people don't complete these things. I previously put in effort into these however stopped once I realized they were pointless.
    - Right now the stock price is one of the lowest points in its recent history.

Advice to Management

It's a sinking ship from the software side. Don't just say its a priority to give us a development process; show it. It saddens me that I had so much negative feedback with little positive. I would advise senior management to have a hard look at the long term business implications of having a high turnover rate and the roadblocks we hit from the turnover and address those first. Our morale is low given recent staff departures; we over slightly overworked, stressed, and its seemingly getting worse organizationally. We think the processes you are putting in place are a great first step, please ensure that we follow through and hold individuals who deviate from that process accountable.

Gogo Response

May 30, 2018 – Senior VIce President - Technology

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective of your experience over the past year here at Gogo. As you know, I recently joined the organization and have been diving in to better... More

"No Go for Gogo"

Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Illinois in Chicago, IL

I worked at Gogo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average salary
    Flexible schedule
    Exciting product

Cons

High Stress
    Chaotic/Toxic Environment
    Constant Reorganization
    Dis-functional Management

Advice to Management

Focus on execution and continuous improvement.