Gogo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Michael J. Small

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of challenges as the company is growing, and many opportunities to make a change (in 11 reviews)

• Fast-paced, start-up culture in a corporation (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not well balanced (in 14 reviews)

• fast pace may not fully support documented process (in 8 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Conpany"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo (More than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits and very good work environment. The company keeps you in loop with every aspect of what's going on within the company.

Cons

The company does not offer any entry level opportunities.

2. "Awsome"

Pros

Good food, people, office and hr

Cons

no cons only pros till now

3. "New Employee Feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Gogo is a wonderful company and a highly enjoyable place to work. It maintains an industry leading market position in a high growth portion of the Aerospace sector. The culture encourages innovation and empowerment. Benefits are terrific and it is a fun, energizing work environment.

Cons

Gogo is in some ways still in a start up mode. This means that change happens at a very fast pace while it works to solidify it's position, market approach and processes. If you don't like change, this might not be the best environment for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

4. "good"

Pros

Good place to work. Nice

Cons

None. There are no cons. None

5. "High Potential Growth with lackluster team dynamics"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Amazing growth opportunities
    *Competitive salary and benefits
    *An excellent technology stack for new development
    *Surprisingly interesting work.
    *Amazing office and work amenities.
    *Down to earth employees and teams.
    *Well designed manager review process.
    *Enjoyable onboarding process.
    *Mostly a flexible schedule
    *Overall, best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

*Company social culture is still actively working to improve.
    *Longest in person interview process I have been to (about 4ish hours)
    *I worry if a select few team members were to leave, there would be issues with team productivity.
    *Feels a bit like drinking from a fire hose the first few months as there is poorly organized, outdated, and lacking documentation. I frequently find myself having to talk to already overburdened employees to get the information I need.
    *There appears to be challenges with some teams actively using Jira as the main source of communication. A lot of conversations appear to happen outside of our tool chain, leading to questions, miscommunications, and general headaches.
    *Defined process is almost nonexistent. (No formal code reviews and little documentation on how a teams code gets to production effectively).

Advice to Management

*Management should slow down, so that we can speed up. With an influx of new employees coming onboard, there are bound to be countless questions, with what feels like minimal experienced team resources to answer them. I have heard multiple accounts of people feeling like they are "drinking from a fire hose" at times.
    *Daily standups should be more structured, people seem to use it as an opportunity to report on status and discuss individual issues rather than reporting high level blockers and progress.
    *More overt emphasis on professional development.

6. "Great place!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, ever-evolving technology, great benefits and competitive pay.
    Lots of challenges as the company is growing, and many opportunities to make a change.

Cons

Communication is not optimal. Many decisions are made by higher management without consulting with mid-level management (Managers/Directors), and many assignments are left without an owner once an organizational change is made (and those are quite frequent).

Advice to Management

Let people participate more in shaping the company's vision and day-to-day assignment. Empower employees to know they're part of something bigger than their small teams/groups.

7. "Quality"

Pros

Challenging, fast & dynamic. Great comp & benefits & most of people are awesome to work with. Great facility in downtown ( lounge has some cool stuff like tennis, foosball , massage chair etc)

Cons

Too much dependency(quality) on external vendors. Values are not aligned within all departments . Work life balance is not well balanced

Advice to Management

Work on better cross functional collaboration & relationships.

"You Work for VP not Gogo"

I have been working at Gogo full-time

Pros

Great Technology, Cutting Edge Innovative

Cons

No Pay for performance unless you are favorite. Uneven Fairness. You may be working on cutting edge but does it benefit your Employer?

Advice to Management

Treat your Employees Fair

May 4, 2017 – Employer

Thanks for sharing your feedback on your experience. With the introduction of our new company-wide Quarterly Connections process, we’re investing in skill building focused on providing meaningful... More

"Gogo is well worth the effort"

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is never a boring day at this company. So many exciting things are going on that there is never a possibility for a dull moment. The majority of employees are more than happy to go out of their way to help you with any questions you may have. There is a clear movement towards being transparent with metrics, business performance and general company updates. Gogo generally makes you feel like they care. The benefits are great and they show appreciation for their employees by hosting fun monthly socializing events and impressive all-company outings twice a year. This type of caring and transparency has given me an extreme sense of loyalty.

Cons

Some of the people that work at gogo have that mentality that, "Well it worked for us before. Why should we change?" Breaking through this barrier has (and still is) proven to be extremely difficult. Additionally, I've also experienced many times where there are too many "cooks in the kitchen" and it takes a long time to make decisions because there are many approvals necessary, some of which shouldn't be necessary. Finally, if you are not mentally prepared for a difficult and fast-moving work environment, burnout will happen. You need to be aware of that coming into work for Gogo. Consistent availability is necessary and long hours are required. But, as long as that is understood coming in, there should be no problems.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 31, 2017 – Employer

Great feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review and provide us your perspective.

10. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, tons of co-working spaces, facilities is incredibly accommodating, and working with other departments is easy (such as devops or other development teams in different regions).

Cons

Would like to see us host meetups and tech events because we have amazing spaces.

Apr 25, 2017 – Employer

We are happy to hear you love working at Gogo and appreciate your feedback. You may not know, but we have been hosting meetups in our space since our move to Chicago almost 2 years ago. You can find... More