Gogo "fast paced" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gogo Employee Reviews about "fast paced"

Updated Oct 24, 2017

3.1
Gogo CEO Oakleigh Thorne  (no image)
Oakleigh Thorne
Pros
  • "Fast paced work environment; you are never bored and something new to learn(in 17 reviews)

• "Gogo provides great work/life balance and knows how to recognize it;s employees(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "None experienced as it offers proper work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "Because of the large amount of growth in short period of time we continue to go through growing pains(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "fast paced"

Return to all Reviews

"Fun environment, great people and work life balance"

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Fast paced leading edge tech company. Opportunities to learn new things come up regularly. People are open and encourage to new ideas and ways of thinking. (You have the opportunity to make an impact on how things are done and see your ideas turn into reality.) Fun environment with forward looking people that strive to continuously improve. Time off is generous (you can take what you want).... Close to train stations makes commute from burbs easy. Lots of diversity in type of work and projects you get to work on.

Cons

While I enjoy the pace of work and innovation, for some it may move too quickly and be overwhelming. Normal growing pains with regular changing of processes to accomodate innovation and change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on the open communications. There has been visible improvements made to keep us in the loop.

Gogo2017-10-18

"Dysfunction like the world has never seen. Believe me."

I have been working at Gogo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office building with friendly door staff Central location Annual free lunch to celebrate diversity Unlimited access to beer kegs The potential to work on new technology

Cons

Please don’t work here. It makes me sad to write this review, because I came into the company as a positive person wanting to make a difference. My experience here has left me a completely different person, and not for the better. I wish I’d done better research and took reviews more seriously before joining. I made a huge mistake. Sit in the building lobby (it’s open to the public) and observe the happy,... energetic, smiling people coming in and out. Chances are, they don’t work at Gogo. There’s an incredible amount of spin about what it’s like to work here, so let this be an opportunity to clear the air. First warning sign? Fortune 50. Don’t be fooled by hype around Gogo being on a Fortune magazine list. It’s a pure marketing effort to shore up the company’s image, with Fortune & BCG generating rankings partially based on “machine learning to leverage unstructured data” - meaning computers read annual reports and spit out a score. Second warning sign? Gogo employees were coerced to write Glassdoor reviews. A few months ago, HR offered incentives for writing a review and sending in a screenshot. This ended after a few weeks, and luckily it looks like Glassdoor noticed and cleaned up some reviews as well. If those things didn’t raise a flag or two, we’d love to have you here because people keep leaving. But before you sign on the dotted line, here are 10 things you should keep in mind about Gogo: 1. Misplaced priorities and half hearted execution. Reception and prayer rooms are easy to find but hosting a networking event means pulling out an embarrassing easel with a [Restroom ->] sign. Gogo neglected signage, but had money for pretty airplane models in the lobby and on the wall. Basic things that someone forgot to think through? It’s the Gogo way. 2. No free snacks and drinks, but have a mouse. And we don’t trust you with our chips. Drinks and snacks will cost you real cash but you can pick up a free Apple wireless mouse, chargers, and phone cables from the IT vending machine. Free beer kegs are available 24/7 in our employee lounge. Security cameras are placed throughout the vending area “for your protection”. 3. To lead here, you don’t serve. You get served. Gogo has had its share of lawsuits from airlines and passengers over the years, just Google “Gogo lawsuit”. It’s baffling (but not surprising) that so many executives still hold their positions after multiple blunders. Management relentlessly pursues new business and try new ideas, but at what cost? Just read our 10-K. While it’s a competitive market, the failure to produce a profitable business model rests squarely with the management team. Rounds of funding have resulted in junk bonds and a shaky financial proposition. 4. Management mantra: There’s no me in we. And yes, we love narcissism. Executives continuously shield their own inadequacies and shortcomings with useless projects meant to wow each other. Videos, blog posts, LCD screens, and exec “war rooms” are the equivalent of 5th grade science fairs, trying to earn a passing grade. (Meanwhile, everyone else is down a meeting room since the room was annexed). You’ll work with VPs more concerned about building a personal brand and sharing content on LinkedIn, instead of communicating with their own teams. You’ll work with Directors utterly unqualified for their roles and incapable of leading a team; they’re there because of politics and personal relations with an executive. But don’t worry, they’ll all be the first to claim that things are getting better, and communication has never been better here. Sadly, not everyone is smarter than a 5th grader. 5. We care about our spending, with eyes wide shut. It gets better. An EVP will ask their team for budget cuts and cost savings, but will brag about their airline elite status to the entire team. Budget season? It’s a mad scramble to use up money we don’t have, so finance will give us the money we don’t have to spend next year. (Ordering extra equipment and supplies, IT vending machine) Executives need be held accountable for their individual spending, like everyone else. Stop flying up front and spending frivolously. Stop paying management consultants that are obviously ineffective. 6. The buck doesn’t stop here, because responsibility begins with someone else. Remember typing “self-starter” on your resume? Regret it. You’ll have a slim chance to shine before your manager takes credit. Be prepared to forge your own relationships, because we run around like headless chickens. Expect to be tasked with the work, but receive no credit for it. And take full responsibility when something does go wrong. You’ll meet some great, smart people, but they’ll be too busy doing everyone else’s work to help. Your answer may be on the 11th, 14th, 15th, 12th floor but no one truly knows. Chances are your question will go unanswered because of poor attitudes and work ethic, or because someone is working from home baking up a side business. The problem is widespread but starts from the top. 7. Let’s meet up, but make it quick. You’ll read about some HR efforts in other reviews, and responses from members of the executive team defending their investment in people. For a company of 1200 people, these investments are sorely lacking. Quarterly connections are supposed to be short quarterly reviews linked to OKR's or objectives and key results. These replaced traditional annual reviews. Someone in HR seemingly paid for this feature but skipped training on how to execute. Poor rollouts are par for the course at Gogo. Rather than learn from companies like Intel and actually understanding how they should be used, OKR's are treated as a joke across the executive team and an annoyance every 3 months. Need to understand team goals? They don’t exist, because the VP didn’t communicate any. Too busy with their LinkedIn content or flying somewhere for a conference. Unable to complete on time? Don’t worry, no one on the team actually did them. Your manager tells you they think they’re a joke and won’t have feedback for another 4 weeks anyway. Consequences? Don’t worry about it. We checked the quarterly review box. The laissez faire attitude and lack of accountability on a critical part of employee success is a reflection of the inability of the executive team to drive even themselves towards excellence. Reviews are merely a bullet point on a board presentation, not a bona fide effort in helping you be better at Gogo. 8. Want to move up? Good luck charting a path to your next position, because it doesn’t exist. There is no consistent method or consistency to how people are promoted or given titles. Requests for updated job descriptions to understand how you’re doing are met with hostility and being told that you should be adaptable to change in a fast-paced environment. Your actual work and achievement have little bearing on your career path at Gogo. You have a greater chance of getting promoted if you're willing lie, cheat, or have personal relations with an executive. (All has happened before). 9. Employee feedback means nothing here. Gogo contracts with an outside company to conduct an employee survey every autumn. You answer about 45 questions, and results are compiled into a report for management. The survey measures employee sentiment, and deficient areas of the company. It also provides insight into how the company compares to its peers. Very little is actually shared with employees, other than “we’re working the feedback into our planning”. What is shared is watered down and taken lightly by managers. The last report was shared with my team was over 2 years ago and not positive. Why not share the full report with employees? Why not have managers share their team’s results with them? Why not share what actions are being taken? Is there a reality that Gogo is unwilling to confront? 10. To-do: Build a culture around our technology and achievements and being good to each other. With the negativity at the company, it’s easy to lose sight of the great technology that we have the privilege to work on every day. It’s a beast and a reflection of the hard work of everyday people that do not get recognized on a regular basis. Our culture is a mix of blaming others, deferring work and blame, and struggling to keep up. It’s not a positive work environment that braces our achievements and encourages people to be civil to one another. Discretionary time off is a recruiting tool and management threat, not a real benefit. It is not unlimited and untracked. Every hour you take is entered and tracked, and comes up in quarterly connections with your manager. Why offer a benefit that causes stress and managers use AGAINST employees? It’s not enough to tell the everyone to “go further” or to “live our values”. Those are empty rallying cries that are worthless until executives lead by example.

Advice to Management

Please wake up and smell the coffee. After all we just received coffee machines. It’s becoming critically obvious that more than small changes are needed. Leadership skills are sorely lacking across the board, and the exodus of talent among the ranks is a clear reflection of that. While our CEO is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet, the current state of affairs rests with him, and the lacklustre... management team in place is a reflection of his decision making. Much of the senior management team needs to be replaced with fresh thinking and a new approach to engage with employees and partners. The current situation is untenable and unsustainable. Sadly, the insular culture means executives will stay until the cracks turn into major issues that can’t be fixed by issuing additional debt. The way things are going, it’s only a matter of time before they jump out with golden parachutes while their teams are forced to find new opportunities. What needs to change? To start: 1. Neutralize the toxic pompousness and braggadocio that is rampant among the executive ranks and permeates through the company. If an executive or employee is unwilling to lead a culture of respect, humility, and accountability, they should not be here. 2. Executives need to be leaders. The word “leadership” should not be taken lightly and is earned, not assumed because of a title. Figure out a way to earn back the trust of your teams and investors - you have a responsibility to do so. 3. Clear, transparent discussion of the company’s issues across the board and steps we are taking to address them. Empty positive rallying is not conducive to change. 4. Zero-based budgeting. There are too many examples of wasteful spending at the end of the year. Help curb spending and force accountability by asking every department to justify every dollar they spend. 5. Replace Quarterly Connections with a 360 feedback loop that holds managers accountable in both directions. The current setup of Quarterly Connections and the employee survey is derided across the company and ineffective. Until executives and managers are actually held accountable for supporting their teams in addition to satisfying their own manager, attitudes and actions will not change. 6. Live your words and actually go further. Rather than stew about this feedback in a meeting and post an empty executive response, take meaningful action that will actually change the course.

Gogo2017-10-24
  3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No two days the same; fast paced; great benefits; work with intelligent and talented people.

Cons

Strategic plan?! Senior management is all over the place. Project on top of project on top of project. Micro-management.

Advice to Management

Be stronger; it's okay to say no; it's okay to have rules

Gogo2016-09-02
  4. "Positive Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Gogo

Pros

Fast-paced, start-up culture in a corporation. Lots of opportunity to do meaningful work and be an integral part of the team as an intern.

Cons

Some processes are still in development (as with any company transitioning into corporate). Departments feel a bit disconnected.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging your employees to learn and grow.

Gogo2016-08-04
  5. "Post Startup Mentality"

I have been working at Gogo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Agile, fast paced tech company. Has been growing year over year. Great leadership communication.

Cons

fast pace may not fully support documented process

Advice to Management

Keep of communication to employee level

Gogo2016-08-03

"Manager, Global Purchasing"

Current Employee - Global Purchasing and Materials Management Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fast paced, energized company, growth opportunities.

Cons

The Work/Life balance is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Analyze market and pace of growth.

Gogo2016-03-21

"Fast, Fun, and Cool"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Fast paced work environment; you are never bored and something new to learn. - Fluid and changing culture (for the better) - Ability to run with ideas; if you are passionate about something, people will at least hear you out. - Implementing cutting edge tools and services (in some cases writing our own). - Strong encouragement and support from management to learn and improve individual skills - Really cool... and open workspace; lots of ways to unwind and relax, if needed.

Cons

- Sometimes old ways of thinking vs new ways of thinking clash, but these have been becoming increasingly less frequent since the Chicago move. - Sometimes we move too fast, and it can become a bit overwhelming.

Advice to Management

With the move downtown, lots of things are changing. Change can be scary, but welcome it; as an employee I think things have only been getting better and better.

Gogo2016-01-16
  8. "Employee Focused Organization with Fun Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gogo full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fast paced atmosphere. - Employee oriented with good benefits, compensation, and recognition. - Great facility in ideal location for commuters . - Interesting growing field. - Willing to provide correct tools and support to complete job.

Cons

- Work can be demanding and long

Gogo2016-01-19

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Gogo full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Gogo for a year. The company is growing from its start-up days into a major corporation. To grow this fast, the company has hired some top-notch technical management to make it happen. These new people really understand technology and how to work with people. The technical environment is fast paced, but very comfortable and reasonable. As the company grows, it is expected there will be... organizational/structural changes. The changes I have seen are very positive and are positioning the company to be successful. I work in the area of software/system technology development, and the work is very interesting, high-tech and at the cutting edge of system design using new technology. I work with very good people and have a very talented technical team. The new management is very good at listening to people, receptive to suggestions and turning all ideas into a business success. Since they are now downtown Chicago, my schedule is locked to the commuter train schedules, and there has not been any issues with keeping to this schedule. I also work from home as needed. The overall benefits plans are great - medical, dental, vision, commuter discount, etc. I have a family to take care of and the coverage is excellent.

Cons

I am very satisfied at this company and have no cons.

Advice to Management

Continue plans to grow the company and restructure the processes.

Gogo2015-11-29
  10. "Production Technician"

I worked at Gogo full-time

Pros

The company is innovative, fast-paced, and a leader in its industry.

Cons

its organized chaos, things change constantly so do get use to one way of doing things.

Gogo2015-10-16