Gold Buyers at the Mall Reviews | Glassdoor

Gold Buyers at the Mall Reviews

1.0
Danny Baruch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very Unbusiness Like People Running This Company"

Former Employee - Team Member in Monaca, PA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Monaca, PA

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will almost certainly get hired if you apply! They are very desperate for people and have a huge turnover. If you are looking for a title jump you may get it here. I was with the company for three days and offered two different store manager positions.

Cons

In my store you are treated like a child. I personally have been in retail management for over 10 years now and did not appreciate this. There is very little that is organized, there are almost no procedures. You kind of fly by the seat of your pants and guess at what your doing half the time. The training is almost laughable. My "manager" seemed to make up the rules as she went along. My workplace was also very disorganized, no filing system, papers everywhere. Kind of makes you wonder when we are making copies of peoples licenses and collecting personal information. I would guess if they got audited they would not pass. I was also told by my manager that we are there to please the company, they are not there to please us. Believe me when I tell you that is true. They make no effort at all to better accomodate employees. If you like an well organized workplace this is not for you.

2. "This is a pathetic ,greedy company."

Former Employee - General Manager in Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Gold Buyers at the Mall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It doesn't rain in the mall.You meet a lot of friendly people.It's a paycheck,if you can get a full one.

Cons

Almost every employee owes the company money,due to their pathetic bad buy policy,in which they
    don't have to prove that it was a bad buy.Even though you pay for it,they don't give you the item so
    you might be able to recoup your money,just like they did.You have to stand for many hours,and give out bags to every person who walks by.They run out of money regularly,and charge customers
    a fee to collect their money.Stay away,unless you are really desperate!

Advice to Management

Stop your lying and your phoney contests,where there's no money,only bragging rights

3. "RUN!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

base pay is great
    you can win some "under the table" money
    you meet a lot of interesting people
    its a good title for your resume

Cons

As a manager you will be asked to work up to 80+ hour weeks, yet you'll only get paid for 40
    You will NEVER bonus, and if you do they'll raise your quotas
    If you have a problem with an employee they will not let you fire that employee they will just tell you to "push that employee out" but theyll tell that employee that they want them to stay
    Most of the scales that are used to weigh gold are illegal and at any given time the state will walk in and shut down your store (Upper Managment is completely aware of this)
    You will attend a weekly meeting at which you as a manager will be barraided by upper managment for not meeting your daily goal, weekly or monthly goals.
    They already have a huge case pending against them for not paying employees after they shut down their store for being unsuccessful
    If you have a "bad buy" they will not show you proof that it was bad but they will take the money that you paid out for it out of your paycheck even though your training will only be about 1 day and the AM or DM that is training you will be on the phone with other people the entire time
    You are essentially ripping people off and only paying out at about 10% of gold price
    Also if you have an employee you don't get along with they will use that employee against you ie. they will have them set you up by stealing money or changing the cash drawer

Advice to Management

Get it together! You need to listen to your managers when they tell you their mall is slow and they can't get flyers out. You need to stop lying when you do store visits about how many flyers you're able to get out in 15 minutes. When a manager has an issue you need to deal with it head on instead of trying to conive your way out of it. In order for the bad buy policy to work you need to be able to show proof that the items were in fact bad and not expect for the employees to just take your word for it. Better Yet Learn to Be an HONEST company.

4. "sloppy management and training"

Former Employee - Team Member/Gold Buyer in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Team Member/Gold Buyer in Daytona Beach, FL

Pros

its a paycheck.. but not a reliable one... the mall atmosphere was always interesting. The best part was meeting and getting to know regular customers and mall employees.

Cons

the system is always going down.. which mean you can't do your job or be clocked in.. I was shorted hours and pay... The problems existed mainly at a district level.. poor management training..

Advice to Management

Provide better training for store managers... evaluate how exactly you speak to the employees on a manager and team member level... give the employees a reasonable quota to meet.... commission structure is a joke..

"A company with a decent idea but no follow through or funding to make it happen"

Former Employee - District Manager -Upper Level Management
    Former Employee - District Manager -Upper Level Management

Pros

If you are looking to get an area manager title on your resume, this may be a place to do that. However, don't be fooled into thinking there's long term growth potential. If you have any interest in learning how gold is bought and sold, this may be a good place to do that as well.

Cons

This company started off with good intentions. They hired their senior management from other large companies and had a solid plan to make it work. However, some of the initial funding wasn't provided and even though the owners had money to make adjustments, they chose not too.

The company that is currently operating is one that does so on a shoestring budget and uses little to no resources to encourage and train their staff.

Here's a short rundown on what to expect if you are going for a job interview or get hired:

Sales Associate - You will need little to no interviewing skills. If you can stand and are willing to be on your feet all day, hand out flyers and talk to customers, you will get hired. These positions only require you show up, interact and buy gold. Nothing more. But be warned, if you take this job you can be held liable for buying something fake or paying more for something than it's worth. Normally, this type of policy could be ok, but when a company does about 30 minutes of training, there's simply no reason why someone should lose their pay for this. In addition, if you are working here you will find it very hard to make any real money. Expect nothing more than 2 or 3 dollars above minimum wage.

Store/ Kiosk Manager - Interview may be a bit tougher but anyone with some retail experience could get hired to do this job.
    Very similar to the above post except you might get paid a few bucks more per hour. Management is very tough on the managers as they are expected to lead the pack and bring in customers when there may not be any. You will be held responsible for the store.

District Manager - This job will actually pay a decent salary but don't expect to earn any of the bonuses they offer. The actual interview process will be much more in depth and you will be lead to believe you will go to work for a real company. You will hear talk of expansion and future growth opportunities. Also, you may hear that this business is one that "will always be around" and during a recession everyone needs to sell their gold. This is somewhat true but the way this company does things makes it very difficult to succeed. Upper management will push you hard but will not provide all of the tools you need to succeed. In addition, expect to be asked to cover shifts at stores, do all of your own training and you can also be held liable for bad gold buys.

A few other key notes:

This company has been promoting itself as a "start up" for almost 2 years now. The biggest difference is that they don't have any real funding and cannot truly expand or provide growth without it. They do no advertising and are very limited in what they will do to help their employees.

-There are little to no benefits available. If you need health insurance, it probably won't be here. District managers may be able to have something but it won't be great.
    In addition, there was no direct deposit available when I worked there and I'm not sure if there is yet. The company does not have enough money in the bank to cover the deposits for their employees to offer this service. There are many companies that still print checks, however they do tend to get them to their employees in a more swift manner. If there is a weekend or holiday, you will get your check late. In addition, if there happens to be an error on your paycheck, you will not receive the corrected amount until the next paycheck almost 2 weeks later.

I want everyone to be aware that I'm not a disgruntled employee seeking revenge. I would love for this company to succeed. Some of the people I worked with there are still my friends and associates. That being said, when I left I wasn't even given a "Thank you for your time" or "Keep in touch". My last week of work I basically continued to do my job but my bosses wouldn't even give me the time of day, even though we were on good terms.

I decided to write this note to serve as one of caution for job seekers everywhere.

I know that times are tough in many places and any job can be viewed as a good one. However, be warned that this may not be the place for you. If you think it is, be sure you get answers to all of your questions before you start or before you leave another job. This one may burn you.

Advice to Management

Please turn this into a "real" company if you want to succeed. I'm impressed that you are still in business but things cannot last with the way employees are "turned and burned". There are lives and careers at stake with this method and you are sending the message that you just don't care.

Think of what could be accomplished if you were able to spend money on hiring and training great, loyal employees. Think of what would happen if you advertised and drove customers to the stores, rather than having your employees do all the work at the kiosk.

This can be a very good profitable business and you could build something great here. I just hope that you are able to do it without running over too many people in the process.