Golden 1 Credit Union Reviews

3.6
Golden 1 Credit Union President and CEO Donna Bland
Donna Bland
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management does very little to make Golden 1 a career work place(in 8 reviews)

• "Not worth the low pay and the lack of trust and understanding from upper management(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"'Stronger Together' Great Company! I love my job!!"

Current Employee - Membership Development Officer in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked for Golden 1 for the past two decades and can honestly say it has been a phenomenal time. This organization has allowed me to grow as a leader and given me the opportunities to advance to different positions. Senior leadership deeply cares for its employees and I am excited in the direction our leaders are striving us for. They truly believe in the culture of this company.

Cons

I have no negative comments.

Golden 1 Credit Union2019-08-12
  2. "Headquarters"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy the atmosphere , it’s free of stress and negativity, as a college student they work with your on your schedules ,there are continuous growth opportunities. Supervisor all care for you and encourage advancement..I have no complaints overall

Cons

I have no cons to mention..This job allows growth and opportunities even for beginners in call center experience

Golden 1 Credit Union2020-05-17
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Mss II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice hours, great coworkers

Cons

People can get rude when it comes to their money

Golden 1 Credit Union2020-04-24
  4. "There are better options than the Copper 1 : ("

1.0
    Former Employee - Financial Services in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a shiny headquarters building in Sacramento. -The $500 annual bonus was nice, until they squeezed me for $1000 on the way out. -Opportunity for personal advancement or internet scrolling while constantly waiting on hold for faulty tech support.

Cons

Where do I start..... -The broken promises? There were lots.....Compensation expectations, administrative support expectations, marketing support expectations, cancelled Meetings by leadership, cancelled visits by leadership, General unawareness/ overwhelm of leadership, the argument with HR not to pay on prior approved sick leave...!?! -The dreadfully low pay in comparison to their peer group? Literally I heard complaints at all levels that their compensation is low relative to their old job. Multiple people in my peer group had taken what was perceived as a promotion, yet they admitted making less than their past roles at other firms. Most people at the retail level worked two jobs or relied on their family or spouse to survive. -No real opportunity for upward advancement, the pay Rate increases are minuscule moving to management as posted in documented pay charts. -Technology that belongs in a museum...no but seriously imagine getting fired up for a days work only to be stonewalled by a garbage technology suite at every pass. If your the kind of person who likes to wait on hold with tech support multiple times a day often multiple hours per week with internal departments this job may be for you. If you are the kind of person that expects working tools to do your job, or worse yet rely on those tools to generate revenue for yourself, I suggest you thoroughly evaluate the options in your search. -Poor leadership and little mentor ship opportunity....It’s just not really there. I’ve worked at other firms large and small (Fortune 50 and startup). This one seems to miss at being large always sighting cost as the barrier, but misses being nimble always sighting size as the barrier. Most of the educational material is generic and generated internally, no real substance or value there. It’s not uncommon to get an educational bulletin full of word documents without graphs or graphics . The vast majority of managers are understaffed and constantly reactive. Leaves very little time for effective coaching. Not one teammate told Me they benefited from their annual review, most seemed to be treading water or using this as a side gig. Furthermore since management is likely underpaid relative to the position, there are probably more successful schools of thought out there if you are seeking mentorship or career advancement. Advice to a job seeker: Do your due diligence. I don’t write these things lightly. My YELP account has like 2 reviews both positive. I write this now because I had great deliberation prior to this move and I chose this opportunity over a different one. I can’t say this one was better or worse, but I can tell you it was worth three hours of time for two Managers to go back and forth with me over literally less than a weeks pays that was owed. That underhanded event was grounds enough for me to tell my honest and accurate story. This pay was already approved.. speaking more accurately they tried to get me to change my resignation day so They didn’t have to pay it. I think they may have violated my employee rights, but I’ll allow the court of public opinion to run its course. This organization had a habit of short changing me and every employee that it could. Had I read an honest report like this it may have shifted my mind the other direction, and I’d be at the other firm happily earning my value In the market. Buyer beware, I write this now with great concern that this doesn’t happen to anyone else. Please read my account and do your own research. It is not my intention to slander anyone merely recall accurately my employment here and subpar experience as an employee.

Golden 1 Credit Union2020-05-23
  5. "Great Company!!!!"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is very supportive, and the benefits are great!

Cons

Nothing to share. I loved working here.

Golden 1 Credit Union2020-03-31

"Backward, lack of tech and trust"

2.0
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some great people there. You sort of end up with a combat veteran relationship because of the Byzantine management structure, politics and personalities.

Cons

The management, technology and policies are archaic. Only managers can have laptops, no one can work from home, you go to meetings with a notebook and a pen bc NO ONE HAS LAPTOPS, which is insane because it's 2020. And it's a huge time and resource waste. It takes ages to figure out who's done what and what needs to be done etc because you can't simply access your email. If you enjoyed the technology and working environment of 2001, you will love G1. And the salary--you'll be underpaid, too.

Golden 1 Credit Union2020-02-21
  7. "Great!"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Golden 1 Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

great co-workers and upper management is invested in employee growth

Cons

I was hoping to work full time but all they could offer was part time

Golden 1 Credit Union2020-01-03
  8. "Good company that is getting better"

I have been working at Golden 1 Credit Union

Pros

Career growth Small company, so good exposure to leadership

Cons

A lot of older managers have no vision of what is possible

Golden 1 Credit Union2019-11-30

"Young Professionals Stay Away"

1.0
    Current Employee - N/A in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Golden 1 Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Benefits for employees. Great rates on financial products for the credit union's members. Great company for middle career professionals, senior professionals who are simply just cruising in their careers. Work will most likely be minimal and require no innovative input or major production for senior professionals.

Cons

Golden 1 Credit Union is the epitome of lackluster corporate workplace. If you are a young professional, stay away from this place. It will be a complete waste of your time and development. The lack of professionalism is unheard of. Decision-makers are never there when a decision needs to be made. This HR department is one of the most unprepared, unprofessional, and practices in abhorrent communication. Many of the policies and procedures contradict the goals of the credit union. Many things are poorly planned and executed and the credit union's members a directly affected. Yet this company displays no sense of urgency in resolution. Lacking in technology, which results in many human errors. This company will be left in the dust in our ever evolving world of automation.

Golden 1 Credit Union2019-12-15
  10. "Not to bad"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative

I worked at Golden 1 Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall my time at Golden 1 was pretty good. I was able to grow and learn a lot about banking. My hours worked with my school schedule and moved up pretty fast.

Cons

They dont alway listen to what the employees have to say.

Golden 1 Credit Union2019-10-02