Golden Corral "free food" Reviews | Glassdoor

Golden Corral Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.5
Golden Corral President & CEO Lance Trenary
Lance Trenary
Pros
  • "Free food on the clock and a surplus of hours(in 26 reviews)

• "Friendly environment, fast paced, wished around my schedule(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Angry, unreasonable guests, long hours(in 35 reviews)

• "when I left I found out that our upper management was a total creep to some of our workers who wouldn’t report anything out of fear of losing their job(in 20 reviews)

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Golden corral"

Current Employee - Dish Washer

I have been working at Golden Corral full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food on the clock and a surplus of hours

Cons

Lack of employees in dish room.

Advice to Management

Specify who you are hiring.

Golden Corral2019-04-03
  2. "Give up your life to work for GC"

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Golden Corral full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food and Ok insurance

Cons

No Work life balance, 70 hr work weeks, huge staff turnover due to insane labor model and underpaid kitchen staff. Company MANDATED breaks during shifts to make hourly labor model, but keeping employees STILL WORKING for free. Salary was competitive, but after taxes income vs hours was $10/hr...insane,

Advice to Management

Treat your managers like gold, not slaves. You have micromanaged them more minutely than a Rolex counts milliseconds. And you wonder why manager turnover is so high...hmmm. BTW I will give you back the $100k I made in two years if you give me back the 20 lbs I lost and the PTSD from the stress you pass top down. Shame on me for not leaving and believing the "hype". Funny that the VP got fired and we won a class... action lawsuit for underpaid management vs federal salary standards in 2019. Cheaters and liars.

Golden Corral2019-12-03
  3. "Don't waste your time"

I worked at Golden Corral

Pros

The only thing good about the was free food

Cons

Don't know how to train property.

Golden Corral2019-02-27
  4. "No holiday pay."

Current Employee - Kitchen in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Golden Corral part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food pretty much whenever

Cons

No holiday pay. Stressful and overwhelming on crowded days.

Advice to Management

Give holiday pay

Golden Corral2018-12-19
  5. "Hardest Job out their"

Current Employee - Kitchen Crew

I have been working at Golden Corral part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food if you have time to eat it.

Cons

They stay on you the whole time your working, everyone trains you different and they are extremely disorganized.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, I hate this job more than I have any other.

Golden Corral2018-09-01
  6. "Decent money for college job"

I worked at Golden Corral

Pros

Decent money, good hours, free food

Cons

management and customers are a pain

Advice to Management

Stop yelling at your employees all the time.

Golden Corral2018-01-26

"This job is terrible"

I worked at Golden Corral full-time

Pros

Free food I suppose if you sneak it

Cons

Preview Worst job ever Grill Cook (Former Employee), Pensacola, FL – January 8, 2018 Pros: The half off food I guess Cons: Golden Corral The job was underpaid to the point of insult. No overtime, no paid holidays, no benefits, no raises, disrespectful management who are more concerned with labor costs than actually having enough workers for the shifts. The BOH is disgusting, the food is mostly leftover from... day before, I was a grill cook, but was expected to come in and clean up a wrecked work station from the previous shift, set up the grill, cook about 4-5 different items for the bar, wipe down the bar constantly,as well as be a bar runner... which is a constant struggle in itself. As well as deal with customers who thought the grill was the counter of a McDonald's. I swear... I'm the middle of a rush, barely staying afloat with my grill products, and wiping the bar constantly like I'm a waitress, replacing empty pans, no backup, no help, I'd have to deal with customers who are requesting me to grill them up something special and specific. I was literally taking orders in a buffet, for Little sliders for people who wanted their s with no cheese or extra pickle or toasted bread, or no bun ,,, or whatever. That'd be fine if the place were set up to operate that way. Like if the grill cook wasn't working multiple positions. If there were enough hands on deck. But there NEVER is. Inconsistent management practices, Some days we were forced to clock out for 30 mns if it got slow, depending on what works best for them.... they are all that matters in the equation. I got no raises in two years. I was trained in every position and received no monetary gain from doing extra work, extra responsibility, multiple positions per day... doesn't matter. 9$ Was as much as I could get out of this place. I'm a culinary graduate, A chef, but I swear they were paying the 60 year old dishwasher more than me. The favorites outweighed any team comradery they attempted to perpetuate. The managers had no idea how to operate as a buffet, because they'd tell me one thing... like only 3 ribs per customer. But if I tried that, a customer would complain and the manager would try to corral me in front of the guest like I was the one who decided that! When the customers ask for cook to order service at a buffet it throws a overworked, underpaid, disorganized kitchen into a tailspin. I don't have time or manpower to stop my 12 other duties and prepare a slider for you personally as you order it! The sliders are an item on the bar of the buffet! If you like them eat it, if not skip it! Don't come up to the grill asking me to make you one from scratch. I don't go to a Chinese buffet, decide I'd like my won tons fried a little harder,,, hunt down a chef, tell them my won ton specifics and stand there tapping my foot. And then when he says I can't do that I don't hunt down his manger and try to force it into common practice.

Golden Corral2018-01-08
  8. "Sucks"

Former Employee - Cashier in Conroe, TX

I worked at Golden Corral part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food, cool coworkers, and good ice cream

Cons

basically everything, bad management, and touchy managers

Advice to Management

be better

Golden Corral2017-10-16
  9. "Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Server

I worked at Golden Corral full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food all day and everyday .. and the tips looked good

Cons

Worst place to work ... The management is stupid ! They didn't know how to run a company

Advice to Management

Get better

Golden Corral2017-06-18
  10. "No loyalty , always focus on negative"

Former Employee - Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Golden Corral full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay if your in right store. Meaning a lot of your management pay depends on ROC restaurant operating cash, which is scary. Good benefits. Free food

Cons

Again a lot of your pay depends on the roc. No loyalty or praise from district managers. They will always point out negative and never back you up. Work long hours, sometimes 6 days a week. If your roc isn't a lot your bringing home 700 dollars after taxes every 2 weeks if you claim single and 0. Free food but not good. Stop focusing on negative.

Advice to Management

I was a manager, but I would say praise your people, don't expect Golden Corral to be our life. It isn't, it's only way to live life. Everyone has to work, but don't expect us to live there. Back, and praise your managers every once in a while. Stop always focusing on negative, or that's all you will get.

Golden Corral2017-05-19