Golden Pantry Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Brian Griffith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "this place is bittersweet"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Store Clerk in Oconee, GA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Store Clerk in Oconee, GA

I have been working at Golden Pantry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself is good work. Mostly its wiping down stuff sweeping and mopping taking out trash and ringing up customers who are mostly pleasant.you come in wipe some stuff down, sweep, mop, take out trash and take care of customers who are almost always pleasant. Deli is more hard work but you can take long breaks listen to whatever music you want work at your own pace as long as you get your stuff done.

Cons

With store side it may be small simple work but you dont get too much of a break cause theres always someone coming in its literally a miracle if you get the chance smoke a cig start to finish. Also if you mess up or make a mistake like you're late, or you mess up and aren't thinking 100% you can give out the wrong change or accidentally put the gas on the wrong pump or anything it can be your job. Also even if its the customers fault you apologize no matter how rude and ignorant they are. With deli is alot of heavy, nasty, hot, mess that all has to be done well because of food. There are dishes non stop, oil spills, dirty fryers that have to be cleaned, lots of trash to take out, huge flour mess everywhere always, raw food to prep and cook and a bunch of cleaning. If you slip up unless its with food its not as serious and more and longer breaks. if you are super fit and not very bright or have good social skills i suggest deli if you are more of the easy under pressure, can sell air, bubbly type but cant lift a whole lot or do a whole lot then i suggest register.

Advice to Management

Do not be a bully and treat your employees like swine. absolutely do not let your personal feelings towards them affect your professional obligations. It doesnt matter about if you're together, friends, or family always punish them and reward them the same. If not then you have a team of toddlers who need babysitting or end up without employees.

2. "Applicants beware!!! Don't waste your time!"

I worked at Golden Pantry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

End of shift
    Free snacks at office
    Paid holidays

Cons

Lack of communication!!!
    Pretend they care about you but they're really snakes and cowards!
    Promote people who don't deserve it and don't consider others!
    Talk about employees behind their backs!
    Absolutely a lot of favoritism!
    No real opportunity for growth!

Advice to Management

Communicate!
    Treat employees fair!
    Stop the favoritism!
    Stop gossiping about employees!
    Pay more!
    DO BETTER!!!

3. "Please Don't Do It"

Current Employee - Clerk in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Athens, GA

I have been working at Golden Pantry part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't really think of any besides if you're desperate you'll get the job fairly quickly and you get paid once a week.

Cons

By far one of the worst jobs I've ever had. There are just too many to list for the tiny amount of money hourly you're paid.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your employees and stop ignoring them.

4. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Golden Pantry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family owned, around for 50+ years, I feel like my input is valued and appreciated. Great group of people and I really look forward to going to work every morning.

Cons

Fast paced work environment- not for someone that likes a slow/boring type job

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks so much for the feedback! Our team members mean the world to us.

5. "Store nanager"

Pros

Paid every week...50 employee drinks

Cons

No breaks...50+ hour work week..gossip amongst managers especially training manager

Advice to Management

Be more humane to your employees...close early on Thanksgiving...and close for Christmas. No one can be that money hungry

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to say that we open late and close early at many of our locations for Christmas day.

6. "Store Manager"

Pros

Hardly any pros to this job.

Cons

Micro-Management, Company does not care about employees, Low pay, District managers too involved with store, Hiring process too complex, and Outdated company policies.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to those who are working for you. This whole company needs to be restructured. Not everyone who's working for you is incompetent, Recognize and utilize your talent.

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for letting us know your opinions. We'd love to hear more from you regarding these issues so that we can make sure no one else is experiencing them. Can you email us at hr@goldenpantry.com... More

7. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Parkville, MD

I worked at Golden Pantry (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, positive working environment

Cons

Long hours, fluctuating schedule. From working until midnight, to being back at work at 6am.

Thanks for the review!

"Please don't work here"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Golden Pantry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The fellow employees are generally very good people, but they will not be around very long because they are taken advantage of frequently.

Cons

For a customer service oriented business, management especially at the corporate office have a terribly nasty disposition. They really have not idea how to treat employees as human beings. The business model is to use there employees for as much as they can get out of them and get rid of them.

9. "Probably shouldnt work 3rd shift"

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in Athens, GA

I have been working at Golden Pantry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can get 40 hours or more if willing to work at numerous stores. Or if your store is short staffed. Customers are usually really nice.

Cons

They hire anyone that can pass background and drug test. So most people are lazy. Customers are impatient and at times rude to deal with. The company really doesn't carw about their employees at all. Working 3rd shift you are all alone and the company has been robbed a lot. They know better they just dont care about your safety. NO BREAKS. How is that even legal?

Advice to Management

Actually put 2 people on 3rd shift where it is a safety concern. You guys have been robbed enough to know better but you just dont care. People have been killed and still they dont care enough to add a 2nd person to 3rd shift. Tells me all i need to know.

10. "Bad place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

Pros

Regular customers. Good breakfast biscuits. Cash bonuses without taxes being withheld.

Cons

Steal from employees. They do not issue final check. Salaried earn less than minimum wage considering the hours. Too many hours. They do not care about their employees. They come into stores trying to find whatever they can that might be wrong. Try to operate with insufficient staffing.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Be positive occasionally. Do not always try to find the bad. Do not demoralize your employees. Occasional reviews would be welcome. Raises occasionally would be reasonable. Improve your hiring practices.