Golden Pantry Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Griffith

1. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Parkville, MD

I worked at Golden Pantry (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, positive working environment

Cons

Long hours, fluctuating schedule. From working until midnight, to being back at work at 6am.

Thanks for the review!

2. "Probably shouldnt work 3rd shift"

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Athens, GA

I have been working at Golden Pantry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can get 40 hours or more if willing to work at numerous stores. Or if your store is short staffed. Customers are usually really nice.

Cons

They hire anyone that can pass background and drug test. So most people are lazy. Customers are impatient and at times rude to deal with. The company really doesn't carw about their employees at all. Working 3rd shift you are all alone and the company has been robbed a lot. They know better they just dont care about your safety. NO BREAKS. How is that even legal?

Advice to Management

Actually put 2 people on 3rd shift where it is a safety concern. You guys have been robbed enough to know better but you just dont care. People have been killed and still they dont care enough to add a 2nd person to 3rd shift. Tells me all i need to know.

3. "Bad place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

Pros

Regular customers. Good breakfast biscuits. Cash bonuses without taxes being withheld.

Cons

Steal from employees. They do not issue final check. Salaried earn less than minimum wage considering the hours. Too many hours. They do not care about their employees. They come into stores trying to find whatever they can that might be wrong. Try to operate with insufficient staffing.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage. Be positive occasionally. Do not always try to find the bad. Do not demoralize your employees. Occasional reviews would be welcome. Raises occasionally would be reasonable. Improve your hiring practices.

5. "Awful place to work, stay away"

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Athens, GA

I have been working at Golden Pantry part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any. I guess it is a job, right? However, if you go to college this would do for some expenses on the side

Cons

No perks, nothing is free for employees at all.

Advice to Management

Give gas cards for employees to assist additional training in Athens. Give raises in increments. No 25cents raise randomly

6. "great as a first job to get some experience under your belt"

Current Employee - Store Clerk in Dacula, GA
    Current Employee - Store Clerk in Dacula, GA

I have been working at Golden Pantry part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly atmosphere, great learning experience, excellent management

Cons

schedule starts on monday and ends on sunday and you only know one week of your schedule, the pay woundnt be as bad if you could work full time but only the assistant manager and the manager works that so your stuck with crappy hours which arent even set in stone so if its a slow night your not gonna get the hours you thought, your accountable for your own register so if someone is using it wich they do to help you if they make a mistake you have to pay for said mistake, last but not least you get 1 employee drink (discounted drink) then you have to pay full price or refill price not to mention that if you just want a cup of ice you have to pay for a ice cup. also when training its a joint apperation so in other words it gets very confusing because one person could tell you you dont this part out every day but once a week so you dont but then you get in trouble for not cleaning them every day like apperently your suposed to.

Advice to Management

when you do that oreintation/training for new hires u need to get a lotto machine and have them practice before you send them off to the stores because the manual doesnt compete with hands on experience, also i sugest mabe having a chart of dutties assigned for the store clerks so we can check them off and what time so like when we make the routine coffee have a chart made and have us fill out what time and when we made it and sign it other wise we are wasting our time trying to figure out what has and hasnt been done and throwing out a perfectly good pot of coffee plus that way we are able to get more stuff done. there also needs to be like memo that goes out to the store clerks not just management when upermanagement comes in and decides to redecerate becuase sometimes managment forget to tell us this and were looking everywhere for something cause its not in its place wasting time and isnt time money? You also might want to either assign a person to each store to be the afficial traing person for the trainies because it get extremaly confusing for us trainies to be shown how to do something one day and told the next that thats not how it done the next by another person

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

These are all really great points! Thanks for the feedback.

7. "It was an alright experience"

Former Employee - Clerk in Greensboro, GA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Greensboro, GA

I worked at Golden Pantry part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

growth and advancement the opportunity is good

Cons

dont care bout there employess

Advice to Management

take time to treat employess like family

8. "Lowest paid, highest retail"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bogart, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bogart, GA

I worked at Golden Pantry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job for most part, my area of town was fine.

Cons

Expect to take a lot of crap from customers, long hours. Explaining why we charge twice as much for a product than the guy across the street. We usually said, "we are really proud of our products".

Advice to Management

Managers were fine, its upper management. They make very bad business decisions. Especially in the marketing department. I give the company another 2-3 years. You can't charge 20-30% more than your competitors then say its the small guy behind the counters fault.

9. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Golden Pantry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family owned, around for 50+ years, I feel like my input is valued and appreciated. Great group of people and I really look forward to going to work every morning.

Cons

Fast paced work environment- not for someone that likes a slow/boring type job

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks so much for the feedback! Our team members mean the world to us.

10. "Store nanager"

Pros

Paid every week...50 employee drinks

Cons

No breaks...50+ hour work week..gossip amongst managers especially training manager

Advice to Management

Be more humane to your employees...close early on Thanksgiving...and close for Christmas. No one can be that money hungry

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to say that we open late and close early at many of our locations for Christmas day.

11. "Store Manager"

Pros

Hardly any pros to this job.

Cons

Micro-Management, Company does not care about employees, Low pay, District managers too involved with store, Hiring process too complex, and Outdated company policies.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to those who are working for you. This whole company needs to be restructured. Not everyone who's working for you is incompetent, Recognize and utilize your talent.

Apr 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for letting us know your opinions. We'd love to hear more from you regarding these issues so that we can make sure no one else is experiencing them. Can you email us at hr@goldenpantry.com ... More