Goldenwest Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Wonderful company"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Orem, UT

I have been working at Goldenwest Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been a very good company to work for. They are very understanding with time off needs and the work environment is little stress.

Cons

The only reason I am leaving is because of the pay.

Advice to Management

None, the company is great.

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Logan, UT

I have been working at Goldenwest Credit Union part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers and management
    Pays well compared to most entry level jobs
    Rarely work saturdays
    Never work nights

Cons

Not a competitive base pay compared to other credit unions and banks
    Sale Culture is pushed hard
    Can be difficult to work around school schedules for students

Advice to Management

Do not push the sales culture as hard. Offer a better base pay. Look for people that want to stick around and treat the employees right.

3. "Teller"

Former Employee - Teller II in Roy, UT
    Former Employee - Teller II in Roy, UT

I worked at Goldenwest Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were semi flexible with scheduling, especially for students. The health insurance they offered really helped me out when I had a baby and they allowed me to work part time when I returned from maternity leave. Lots of opportunity to move up if you're motivated.

Cons

Lots of turn over. If you were sick and called in to get it off, you'd better be at the hospital or they'd try to get you to come in anyway. Really focused on cross selling which was harder our pretty busy branch.

Advice to Management

Focus on people, not numbers. I loved a few members and knew when something we offered would help them.

5. "They care about their employees"

Former Employee - Teller in Saint George, UT
    Former Employee - Teller in Saint George, UT

I worked at Goldenwest Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with; truly team work; great management. Loved the atmosphere. GWCU truly cares about their members and employees. You feel appreciated there. The biggest mistake I've done was to leave Goldenwest for a higher paying job. I should've stuck around and I'm sure I would've been in a much better place right now.

Cons

Low starting pay. Although if you stick around they offer lots of chances for growth in carrier and pay.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

6. "I'm EXCITED to work at Goldenwest!"

Current Employee - Teller in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Teller in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Goldenwest Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed starting pay of $9 per hour, earn unlimited sales incentive, flexible schedule for school and I'm not flipping burgers!

Cons

There is a lot to learn when you first start, but the training is good. Just make sure you ask a lot of questions and take notes!

Advice to Management

Keep training me on what I can sell. I don't completely understand everything about selling loans, but I do know my car loan is a really good one at 2.74%. I want everyone I know to have that!

"Corporate is a mess, individual branches can be fun."

Current Employee - Teller in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Teller in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Goldenwest Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Branch management, branch atmosphere, fast-paced

Cons

Low pay, unprofessional corporate trainers and HR representatives, intensive training.

Advice to Management

Keep your branches positive, but your corporate culture needs to work on professionalism.

"Amazing Place to Work"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in South Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in South Ogden, UT

I worked at Goldenwest Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very personal managers and staff that care about family. Can't tell you how many times I saw this company give back to their employees and so many ways. I was always allowed to talk with the executives about new ideas and able to interact with the agents. Great corporate offices with a gym and basketball court. Tons of games and fun staff meetings.

Cons

Company is growing fast and so it has some of the growing pains of a company growing. So that comes with challenges such as managers doing double duty or maybe needing more help in their individual department. They are working hard to grow as their size grows and feel confident in their management.

Advice to Management

Keep reaching out to the team for ideas on how to make employee life great! We love that.

9. "Supply Chain Specialist"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in South Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in South Ogden, UT

I have been working at Goldenwest Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company, Great Benefits, & Great Atmostphere

Cons

Pay is pretty low. Great for College students living at home, or recent high school grads.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Good Experience, High Turnover Rate"

Former Employee - Junior Loan Officer in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Junior Loan Officer in Ogden, UT

I worked at Goldenwest Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained great financial skills that I applied to my own life, learned how to positively position myself with upper management, exercised my ability to learn and grow within a position.

I advanced from teller, was then selected to be placed in the call center for a fast track training to be a loan officer and was beginning training for mortgages when left. I was also offered a loan officer training position when I left.

Most fellow employees are friendly.

Cons

Pay is less than satisfactory. I was young enough I did not need benefits although I hear benefits are good, I could have cared less. You work your butt off for pennies.

The constant pressure to sell as described in other reviews is spot on. But all the people who were really good salesmen knew they were worth more and eventually left. They also offer hourly pay raises if you pass a series of tests. I passed 3 or 4 and gained a whole 25 cents an hour per test that required hours of studying. My one year evaluation raise? A whole 33 cents.

The year I was there we didn't meet our yearly goal. As a result the whole company was declined a Christmas bonus and an annual "giveaway" party where large prizes were given. I'm assuming upper management still received a bonus.

It's very important to me to be able to leave work for a doctors appointment or other things like that. For your first year as an employee, you get a small amount of sick leave and that's it. I asked to reduce my hours since I was a student at the time and was told no.

The majority of upper management is friendly but in the call center you get a million questions you don't know how to answer. Asking for help from the appropriate person was a waste. They treated you like you were an idiot.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. You spend more money on training new ones than if you just payed current ones a competitive pay. Your front line people that speak directly to your customers are the most valuable yet you treat them as nothing.

"The company expects a lot but doesn't give a lot in return."

Former Employee - Teller I in North Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Teller I in North Ogden, UT

I worked at Goldenwest Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits- insurance, gym memberships, etc
    Most employees are super friendly
    Flexible with school
    Most members are nice

Cons

-Terrible base pay. Company claims you can supplement your income and make more per hour through their 'Cross Sell" program but unless you are dealing with loans on a daily basis its near impossible. Most members do not qualify for the products or services offered by the credit union and those that do qualify already are signed up for such products or services. The credit union is actually considered a low income credit union therefore as stated above most members do not have the finances or the credit to qualify. Once in awhile you would get a "sell" but its not enough to supplement the awful base pay.
    -Management can be rude and expect a lot from the employees beyond the job description.
    -Very strict on policies
    -Unfair treatment if there is a problem
    -Required meetings every week at branch (Generally a waste of time because they are a review of the emails that you receive throughout the week)
    -Required monthly sales meeting at corporate office (Also a waste of time, only the select few dealing with loans are ever recognized for sales, the rest of the employees do not have such an opportunity )
    -No extra pay for speaking another language, being a notary, training other employees, etc

Advice to Management

Management needs to lead by example in many aspects. They should not be the last to arrive and the first to leave just because they may be salary and not hourly. Management needs to help those below them in any way they can in a helpful manner rather than seeming bothered to help as seen in many instances and at many branches.