Golder Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Hisham Mahmoud

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance highly emphasized with a plethora of extracurricular activities and events (in 27 reviews)

• Great people, good pay, employee owned (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance at Golder did not exist during my time at Golder (in 20 reviews)

• There is not development or active involvement in the growth of junior staff (in 15 reviews)

1. "Used to be great, could use improvement"

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist

I worked at Golder Associates full-time

Pros

The people you directly work with are good and willing to help you. Work being brought in is consistent.

Cons

Upper level management takes hand off approach, more managerial than leadership attitude. Money focused business model and sacrificing on quality of work products

"Bend you over"

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Golder Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with.

Cons

Found glass door too late, observed I was making 20k less than the lowest reported salary for my position. Felt ignored over the years, asking for certain training, constantly told next year, next year. watched new employees get said training within a year of hire. Got pigeonholed too.
    Healthcare is high deductible 20/80 without any out of pocket max i believe, making it unaffordable for junior staff with families. The co was paying a few million dollar claims, so as a result, those costs were passed on to the employees.
    As part of the re-structuring, the us was forced to shoulder lay offs even though we remained profitable through the former ceo's efforts to tank the company (the ehl board sat idly by as people were crying foul and I don't think any of them were canned either). good people were let go, unjustly so.
    New ceo is poised for a huge profit when they sell. I left when he announced hiring in former coworkers from amec as cfo, etc. he touted buying 60k in shares (~$2.1million) and stands to make a hefty profit when they go public and shares triple/quadruple in value.
    Also as part of his arrival, they hosted a meeting in downtown vancouver with senior employees to discuss strategy. wasting ~$700k (200+ employees, all expenses paid from other countries in a $200/night hotel, plus their salaries for the week) on this week long suck-fest to produce a few page pamphlet that just re-stated the current values and goals in fancy typeface, whoopie.

Advice to Management

Don't care now. Making more $$$ now and have more rewarding and involved work.

"Manager"

I worked at Golder Associates full-time

Pros

Great People throughout the organization

Cons

NOT the company it used to be

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your employees

4. "Solid Company with Great People"

Current Employee - BIM/CADD Lead in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - BIM/CADD Lead in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some great people. Golder has been a fantastic place to work over the past several years. I have been able to interact directly with management at all levels. This is a consulting firm that has remained true to the entrepreneurial mind set. If you have an idea that has some synergy with the company, you can find support to pursue it. The new CEO and COO are changing the flavor of the company, but it seems to be in ways that are healthy.

Cons

As a consulting firm, there is a heavy, but natural focus on utilization. When you combine this with a "build your own organic business" mindset, it can be a tough environment to feel like you are making ground. It is currently difficult to innovate as everyone is asked to focus on utilization.

Advice to Management

Get some skunk works going. Develop KPIs that focus on profitability rather than changeability and let us lean into that profit to innovate.

5. "CQA Technician"

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to travel.

Cons

Work can be slow in winter months

6. "Excellent Work, with Work-Life Balance Cons"

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time

Pros

Interesting work, challenges, opportunity for investment

Cons

Extremely long hours, frequent cuts/lack of stability

7. "Principal"

Former Employee - Principal
    Former Employee - Principal

I worked at Golder Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vision for continued employee ownership. High quality technical personnel in geosciences, mining, and environmental.

Cons

Culture transitioning to short-term profit-driven focus. Lack good project management and client development.

Advice to Management

Be strategic in the retention of top performing personnel.

8. "Senior Scientist"

I have been working at Golder Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and good work balance

Cons

Issues with leadership and retaining employees

"IT/BIS"

Former Employee - IT/BIS
    Former Employee - IT/BIS

I worked at Golder Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy. Supported highly technical, disciplined users in geographically dispersed, global environment.

Cons

The continued "restructuring" of the company has caused morale to decrease significantly. Most users keep wondering when their termination will occur.

Since the offshore outsourcing of all IT/BIS related services, the overall quality and level of support has drastically diminished, leaving the user base to deal with what the new management regime has decided would be their best options for support.

Advice to Management

Call the help desk, submit feedback of your experience.

"Great people and great opportunities for a variety of projects."

Former Employee - Project Environmental Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Environmental Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Golder Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with some of the best in the business technically. Good focus on health, safety, and the environment. Most can find good job security within the company, just being willing to work slightly out of your own comfort zone.

Cons

Added stress with global realignment of company structure. Lots of good folks let go in the process. A few good folks choosing to leave due to the restructuring and potential fear of poor company future outlook.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop, mentor, train, and promote from within. Don't scoff at getting personnel professional training when asked about, if it&s within reason.